• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I know I shouldn't but I'm having a hard time not to buy this. I can buy this next year when I have some free time.

Wallach

-Yeti said:
I'm probably going to spend at least an hour or more crafting my first character. Reason being is because I can't have any regrets about my character. I won't make another one until I have done everything I could with the first one.

I know what you mean, I'm the same way. It takes me forever to make my first character, especially in TES. I don't even know what race I'm going to be yet; there's almost no chance my midnight launch time with the game will encompass anything beyond character creation and maybe the intro area.

Evolved1 said:
I'm still worried about the pop in... that was the worst thing about the PS3 versions of the previous games and this guy apparently never noticed. Hard for me to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his post (and his CC picture!) but it's hard to glean anything about tech from a dude who thought the previous games were fine. Just, not much to take away from that.

yeah, the previous games were certainly not fine on PS3. well Oblivion was fine except for the game-breaking vampire bug. but Fallout 3 and New Vegas fine on PS3? biggest joke ever. those two games happen to be the most broken games released on PS3. bordering on unplayable. you wouldn't believe me how many times the games crashed on my PS3 (or two PS3s since one got YLOD)... let's just say i put in hundreds of hours into them and sometimes the game crashed more than 2-3 times per hour. i spent an entire night, 7-9 hours, trying to go through a 5-10min section in Broken Steel. because it crashed and chugged so much. and this is NOT hyperbole.

i will not be buying a Bethesda game new, that's for sure. gonna wait and see if PS3 version is playable and then buy it used, with no shame whatsoever. i still think Bethesda stole my money with Fallout 3 DLC, so i would feel like a complete chump actually giving them money.

Maybe you guys will think I'm boring, but my first character will surely be a big dumb Orc who can swing the biggest axe or hammer possible. Smithing as well to make my own weapons/armor.

Wallach

ShadyLurker said:
Maybe you guys will think I'm boring, but my first character will surely be a big dumb Orc who can swing the biggest axe or hammer possible. Smithing as well to make my own weapons/armor.

No way dude. Orcs are the bomb, I've already got mine planned and ready to go, but he's second in line at the earliest. GROGNAK GRO-MAKK - CAN'T HANDLE THE MAKK ATTACK, STEP BACK!

AuthenticM said:
Where have you heard it? I haven't seen a single Dunmer in the videos showed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBAmRXJjpOo&feature=relmfu

In this video, starting at 1:45.

Fitz

Deified Data said:
Nords get a Speech bonus while Imperials don't...? This information is suspect.

Looks like the Nord and Imperial stats are mixed in that link. Although it generally looks off anyway.

Gorgon

astroturfing said:
yeah, the previous games were certainly not fine on PS3. well Oblivion was fine except for the game-breaking vampire bug. but Fallout 3 and New Vegas fine on PS3? biggest joke ever. those two games happen to be the most broken games released on PS3. bordering on unplayable. you wouldn't believe me how many times the games crashed on my PS3 (or two PS3s since one got YLOD)... let's just say i put in hundreds of hours into them and sometimes the game crashed more than 2-3 times per hour. i spent an entire night, 7-9 hours, trying to go through a 5-10min section in Broken Steel. because it crashed and chugged so much. and this is NOT hyperbole.

i will not be buying a Bethesda game new, that's for sure. gonna wait and see if PS3 version is playable and then buy it used, with no shame whatsoever. i still think Bethesda stole my money with Fallout 3 DLC, so i would feel like a complete chump actually giving them money.

The crashes were because you were connected to the Internet. If you didn't log to the net the game wouldn't crash. When I did that I never had any other problem running Fallout on my PS3.

Colkate said:
Looks like the Nord and Imperial stats are mixed in that link. Although it generally looks off anyway.
Hmm. Adrenaline Rush doesn't sound nearly as badass as it was in Morrowind or Oblivion. Berserker Rage, on the other hand, had actually become a useful skill instead of an annoying detriment. Orcs are gonna have it good.

moojito

Wallach said:

One thing that's... not bad per se, but a missed opportunity is like when the guy in this video picks up that cool looking glass sword. The only relevant stat about it is the damage. 14, it says. That's it, no dps, damage range, fast/slow, on hit +7 electrical damage, etc. I know you can poison/enchant weapons, etc but there's not really that much exciting about "damage: 14".

Also, annoying that it doesn't show the currently equipped weapon so you can quickly compare that single stat.

The oblivion tc nehrim had some pretty nicely itemised loot.

Gorgon said:
The crashes were because you were connected to the Internet. If you didn't log to the net the game wouldn't crash. When I did that I never had any other problem running Fallout on my PS3.

no, they weren't. i tried playing offline many times. made no difference to me. i think Fallout 3 had some issues with online connectivity before that was patched, but i played it after the patch.

what REALLY made the game chug and crash was having a large savefile. so if you were a completist like me, having a 15mb savefile towards the end of the game, it just crashed and crashed and crashed. that was my experience at least. and the same thing happened with New Vegas, the bigger my savefile got, the more it crashed.

so i think it's fair to say the games are broken if they punish completists by making the game break under a large savefile.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I have to say a big thank you to 7 people: wilflare, Twinduct, jim-jam bongs, RelaxMX, An1lusion/Anilusion, xenoflux & Chesskid1. I woke up today to find they apparently all went in together to get me Skyrim. I don't think I can sufficiently express my gratitude since this is my most wanted game ever, but no doubt I will be playing all month. My heart is happy!

Lakitu

st5fu
xelios said:
I have to say a big thank you to 6 people: wilflare, Twinduct, Jim-jam bongs, RelaxMX, An1lusion & chesskid. I woke up today to find they apparently all went in together to get me Skyrim. I don't think I can sufficiently express my gratitude, but no doubt I will be playing this all month. My heart is happy!

Congrats. Enjoy the game! Only 6 more days...

moojito

xelios said:
I have to say a big thank you to 6 people: wilflare, Twinduct, jim-jam bongs, RelaxMX, An1lusion/Anilusion & Chesskid1. I woke up today to find they apparently all went in together to get me Skyrim. I don't think I can sufficiently express my gratitude since this is my most wanted game ever, but no doubt I will be playing all month. My heart is happy!

Damn, I feel a group hug coming on. <3 skyrim-gaf!

Khezu

moojito said:
One thing that's... not bad per se, but a missed opportunity is like when the guy in this video picks up that cool looking glass sword. The only relevant stat about it is the damage. 14, it says. That's it, no dps, damage range, fast/slow, on hit +7 electrical damage, etc. I know you can poison/enchant weapons, etc but there's not really that much exciting about "damage: 14".

Also, annoying that it doesn't show the currently equipped weapon so you can quickly compare that single stat.

The oblivion tc nehrim had some pretty nicely itemised loot.

If the weapon is enchanted or upgraded it will show the elemental damage and charges, also there seems to be a tiny little arrow next to a weapon if it is better then what you are using.

Concept17 said:
Sounds like I'll probably just do one faction at a time, depending on the content/direction it takes me. Thanks for the info.
Some factions meld together better than others. The Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild, for example.

Einbroch

Banned
For everyone who's really interested in choosing a race for the racials...don't worry so much about it. Starting traits/skill level up quickly, you go through 5 levels (of a particular trait) in like 5 minutes.

On the consoles, racial actives are bound to the same button as the your shouts. The one-a-day limit on racials is cumbersome compared to the 12 second cooldown on a certain shout.

Just choose which one you like.

Khezu

Einbroch said:
For everyone who's really interested in choosing a race for the racials...don't worry so much about it. Starting traits/skill level up quickly, you go through 5 levels (of a particular trait) in like 5 minutes.

On the consoles, racial actives are bound to the same button as the your shouts. The one-a-day limit on racials is cumbersome compared to the 12 second cooldown on a certain shout.

I think the altmer bonus to magicka and the orcs beserker rage make them the two best races, by quite a bit.

Einbroch

Banned
KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?
I strongly recommend you do the main quest until you complete the first Jarl's request, then go out and do whatever you want.

Yeah, there's usually a reason to progress a little bit with the main quest initially, and then go and get lost. I remember in Oblivion that you could steal so much cool shit from that mountaintop monastery which you went to as part of the main quest.

Assemble!

Einbroch said:

I like this change. It allows players to go more for the history of their race and then play however they choose.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?
Follow main quest until I'm at a point where I feel it is safe to stop.
Then explore. Towns, forests, valleys, everything. Talk to people, find sidequests. My favorite thing to do EVER.

Woorloog

Banned
I have no problems deciding what i do once i know what race/"class" i'm going to play.
I'll go exploring regardless anyway...

GarthVaderUK said:
Find Skooma.
41574_2207866421_925_n.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
KorrZ said:

The simplest question yet the hardest one to answer.

I have no clue. I'll probably pick a direction and go as far as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom