• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

purg3

slept with Malkin
KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?

will probably head towards the first town, but I'll end up running to every little map marker that pops up and then end up forgetting where I was originally going.

Zeliard said:
Head off in a random direction and see what I come across.

Judging from previews, death is the most likely answer.

I'm going to find the nearest city and look for quests that can prepare me before I go survivorman into the wilderness.

Khezu

KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?

Go to the college of winterhold, buy lots of spells, then slaughter all the non imperials.

Greg

I never played any of the games in this series, and I haven't even looked at media for this game except for the original release trailer, but I think I'm going to blindly purchase this based on hype.

Zeliard

CrocMother said:
Judging from previews, death is the most likely answer.

I'm going to find the nearest city and look for quests that can prepare me before I go survivorman into the wilderness.

Sissy.

Fou-Lu

Am I the only one that actually misses athletics and acrobatics? Sure they were silly, but my favorite TES character ever was a vampire who could jump from rooftop to rooftop.

I was planning on making Thorfinn from Vinland Saga as a character when Skyrim was announced since it would really fit the setting, but one of the key features of his fighting style is extreme speed and acrobatics.

Oh well, most likely Altmer spellslinger/swashbuckler for me.

While I am posting here, how well do you guys think my laptop will run Skyrim? I know it will run it, but I know laptops are different than desktops even with parts of the same name. (And frankly I just know a lot more about desktop parts than laptop parts) I have an i7 Q720 (Which only runs at 1.6ghz), 6GB of ram for which I have no idea of speed and a Mobility Radeon HD 5850. I only have to run it at 1600x900 since that's my screen's max resolution.

Ricker

Evolved1 said:
I'm gonna do the main quest.
lolz

I just hope you are not one of these guys that does only that,finishes the game in 15 hours and complain it was boring and too short ;P ;)

I`ll probably try and find the nearest town,or village so I can get a few sidequest and the like and explore from there.

GarthVaderUK said:
Find Skooma.
Isn't there a Skooma equivalent in Fallout 3?

And when I finish the intro/tutorial, I will probably not touch the main quest for about 30 hours. I'm just going to explore and do side quests for a long time :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ricker said:
I just hope you are not one of these guys that does only that,finishes the game in 15 hours and complain it was boring and too short ;P ;)

I`ll probably try and find the nearest town,or village so I can get a few sidequest and the like and explore from there.

I've never actually finished the main quest in any TES game... not in thousands of hours. haha

I'm too distractible.

I have to decide which of my two characters I am going to play:

- Dirk, an all-STR murdering sociopath who only uses his bare fists if at all possible to smite his foes, and stacks the corpses in a pile in the middle of the room/town as a warning to others. Must have black hair with the most ridiculous facial hair possible.

- Adelina, a rogue character who uses bows and daggers. Also murders everyone but does so from the shadows. Lockpicking master, etc. Helps people with their quest, gains the XP, and then murders them afterward.

I hate mage characters :\

Wallach

Ichor said:
Am I the only one that actually misses athletics and acrobatics? Sure they were silly, but my favorite TES character ever was a vampire who could jump from rooftop to rooftop.

I was planning on making Thorfinn from Vinland Saga as a character when Skyrim was announced since it would really fit the setting, but one of the key features of his fighting style is extreme speed and acrobatics.

Oh well, most likely Altmer spellslinger/swashbuckler for me.

They are doing some things with perks that make movement more interesting, like the sneak one that turns the sprint button into a forward tumbling roll that doesn't break sneak. I do hope that there are ways to increase general movement speed or jump height, but I kind of agree with the notion that they probably aren't great as skills that contribute towards leveling.

A problem I always have when playing these games is that I cannot get over not being able to access a chest or dialogue option. No matter what I intend to be when I start out, I end up pumping points into security. I will literally grind until I can open a chest. I can't move on.

How can I break this mindset? I want to be a Khajiit unarmed fighter mage

CrocMother said:
A problem I always have when playing these games is that I cannot get over not being able to access a chest or dialogue option. No matter what I intend to be when I start out, I end up pumping points into security. I will literally grind until I can open a chest. I can't move on.

Stab yourself with a blunt spoon every time you attempt to open a chest.

Woorloog

Banned
Is lockpicking now just like FO3/New Vegas where you cannot pick certain locks unless have minimun skill or like Oblivion ie you can pick any lock regardless of skill but it is going to be a lot harder with low skill?

Wallach

CrocMother said:

Just keep notes or something about chests that you want to come back for later. Remember that time spent grinding for a chest now is time you aren't spending finding something else awesome - including other new potential loot.

That said, it's pretty inconvenient to "grind" skills like lockpicking or speechcraft in this game. You can't level your way around it; you can only raise a skill by actually doing it. It's not like Fallout where you level up via experience and get to allocate points into your skills.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ricker said:
The ten and twelve year olds I babysit do nothing but that. They never seek out sidequests or randomly explore. I'm talking Oblivion, Zelda, Saints Row -- everything. Strictly by the book. It makes me sad.

spirity

CrocMother said:

For the most part, you can obtain equal value to whats in that chest by doing a bit of petty pilfering. Unless tied to a quest or something of significance, stuff like locked chests are typically filled with vendor fodder. There may be the occasional really useful thing in there, but not usually. You probably already know this, but there's a part of your brain thats yelling out "this is the one! whenever you come across a chest.

Its lying to you.

CrocMother said:

There are spells/scrolls that can help you unlock stuff.

SilentProtagonist said:
There are spells/scrolls that can help you unlock stuff.

True. I've never used Alteration because it didn't look cool.

Also, the question above about lockpicking is relevant. I just came off playing an overhaul mod of Oblivion that made you be a certain level before you could pick harder locks, so I forgot that isn't what it was like in vanilla.

Woorloog

Banned
CrocMother said:

Also, the question above about lockpicking is relevant. I just came off playing an overhaul mod of Oblivion that made you be a certain level before you could pick harder locks, so I forgot that isn't what it was like in vanilla.
In vanilla Oblivion, lockpicking skill was completly useless as anyone could pick any lock with little patience regardless of your skill level. And even easier once you gained the Skeleton Key artifact.
Frankly i do not like Fallout 3/NV system as it forces me to allocate points to lockpicking while being relatively useless skill except for gaining a few unique items.

charsace

I'm hoping I can build an overpowered character this time. Leveling was such a hassle in Oblivion. It was just dumb to give bandits some of the super armor that's in the game.

Arment

KorrZ said:

Questing. I don't really explore on purpose. I'll do the main quest for a bit until I run into interesting side quests and then do some of them.

Still deciding on race personally. If I'm going to go some form of assassin mage I'll probably go Dunmer.

CrocMother said:

Max alteration, create spell called master of unlocking. Feel much more clever than I actually am. Good times.

abundant

Woorloog said:
Is lockpicking now just like FO3/New Vegas where you cannot pick certain locks unless have minimun skill or like Oblivion ie you can pick any lock regardless of skill but it is going to be a lot harder with low skill?

The Lockpick perk tree will be pretty useful, especially the last one
your lockpicks will not break.

ironcreed

Banned
The Dark Brotherhood,
werewolves
, vampires and slaying dragons are enough reasons to buy this game for me. Everything else is just like adding gold to the horde of treasure that this game will have in terms of content and atmosphere.

moojito

Anyone getting the pc version of this planning to use a controller? I just got a wired 360 controller and might have a go using that, as I figure the UI is designed with a controller in mind.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
ironcreed said:
The Dark Brotherhood,
werewolves, vampires
and slaying dragons are enough reasons to buy this game for me. Everything else is just like adding gold to the horde of treasure that this game will have in terms of content and atmosphere.

Strong untagged spoilers.

moojito said:
Anyone getting the pc version of this planning to use a controller? I just got a wired 360 controller and might have a go using that, as I figure the UI is designed with a controller in mind.

Yep!! Dual 5850s and an HDMI cable over to my 50' plasma... Darken the room a little bit and goodbye world.,..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom