• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
f0rk said:
Put the item/spell in in your favorite list, go to your favorites, mark the item and press 1-9! Tadaaaaaa! Controls just got x10 better. I love this game.

fanboi

Banned
lol51 said:
Found a way to exploit NPC training with pickpocket.

Im level 23 with 70 pickpocket 50 alchemy and nearly no combat perks :O

Ive made a huge mistake. To teach myself not to do that again I will turn difficulty up.

I had that too... but I think it was just the apothecary trying to scare me into buying cure disease potions.

Well, I looked pale and
then I turned into a vampire

Shadybiz

Alligatorjandro said:
Duel wielding with a weapon and magic is so fun.

It seriously is. My original intention was to dual wield daggers, and switch out to two-handed magic, but it's just so cool to be able to slash and cast. Will try to ween myself off of it...or not.

epmode

newsguy said:
Bethesda veterans please help. I've said before that I love the theory of these games but my frustration usually stops me short of playing all the way through them. It's because I never played this style of rpg and now that I'm older I can appreciate the atmosphere. Anyway, so I'm like 5 hours in and I decided to accept a quest that sounded interesting. After walking a lot and cheesing/dodging some very tough creatures along the way, I reached the place. I go in, meet the second round of enemies and proceed to catch an ass whipping. I try amd try again wit different combinations of things but nothing works. At this point what do I do? Should I accept that I probably need to be stronger with my weapons and magic and simply get out and fast travel to some earlier place? Is there something I'm missing in combat maybe? My fear is "I'm doing it wrong" since I've no experience with this style of game and I'm not enjoying it like others.
A good WRPG sometimes has you running into areas that are far beyond your means. Make a note of the place and do something else for a while.

So after running laps at snails pace around this big mountain for an hour trying to find a way up I'm done with this game. Open world games blow!

Zhaanie said:
Has anyone encountered a monster named Wispmother? She's in a snowy area full of ruins and massive staircases, surrounded by regular wisps. I met her yesterday while exploring, but didn't stand a chance.

I'm only level 4 though.
I've killed one. I think it was very near to
South Skybound Watch
. I just kept hitting her with my sword and used a few potions.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
cdyhybrid said:
OK, kinda general question about what kind of character to start off with. How viable would a magic-using assassin type character be? Dagger in one hand for sneak attacks, magic in the other hand (probably Illusion most of the time). I can't decide between that setup or a typical warrior type character (although I would still have to decide whether to go sword and board/two handed/dual wield).

I would probably start off with the warrior-type, but in Oblivion I felt like you wouldn't get the full experience (and the bonuses) out of the Dark Brotherhood questline unless you were an assassin-type character. The DB line was my favorite part of the whole game in Oblivion, so I want to make sure I fully enjoy it in this one.

Hard for me to say since I go around punching everyone (once you have one stamina upgrade, you can punch more or less forever), so I'm sort of in the same position as you (really close melee with destruction magic as back up). I play on default difficulty, but I can typically take out enemies in 2-3 punches OR if they're particularly tough, I just keep whaling on them and my armor has been protecting me thus far.

You'll likely have to be careful and upgrade your one hand, illusion, sneak, and light armor skills.

Biggest trouble I've had are mages...especially groups of mages...

newsguy

epmode said:
A good WRPG sometimes has you running into areas that are far beyond your means. Make a note of the place and do something else for a while.
Perfect. That's all I want to know. I wonder sometimes "am I leveling wrong, did i miss something? " etc. It's good to know I may just be in over my head and I need to find easier quests first.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
EviLore said:
25 hours played, level 33, thieves guild quest line complete... I'd better take a break.

So you're liking it then.

I can't stop thinking about it. I really doubt I'll buy another game for the rest of the year.

mik83kuu

Banned
Blablurn said:
can u give a newbie like me some tips for the beginning?
Don't be afraid to try out different weapons and magic, but after a while stick with what you liked the most. You don't want to play the entire game with "I'll use w/e I feel like using" attitude. The more you use one handed weapons, the better your skill will be etc.

Also keep saving manually every 5 or 10 minutes. Especially in dungeons.

styl3s

I am level 7 and just finished the first dragon quest i was wondering am i too late in the game to switch from 1h/spell to 2h? or 1h/shield? or switch from light to heavy armor? i kind of regret not sticking with heavy armor but i also want to try out 2h

xxczx

Can guards forget you've killed someone?

I'm on the Dark Brohood first three quests and I've ran away from two towns already.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
darkpaladinmfc said:
I haven't started the Thieve's Guild yet, was it better than Oblivion's?

Skyrim version has a bit much of cookie cutter dungeon crawling and not enough in terms of interesting heists or set pieces. Mixed bag. Final mission in Oblivion's thieves guild quest line is more memorable than Skyrim's stuff.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone got some tips on how to level light armor fast? I'm unsure how you level this other than just letting enemies whack you and you don't block. Is that the trick ?

Also, I'm like level 14, and still using the starting area robe and hood... could someone steer me in the right direction on some better robes?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Blablurn said:
can u give a newbie like me some tips for the beginning?

Take you're time. Talk to all the characters. Read notes and books. Take on quests. Concentrate on a developing just a few skills to levelling them up as soon as possible.

Practise sneak and lock picking skills.

Keep away from a big creatures until you're pretty powerful. Trolls etc... will kill you with one blow.

Have fun.

Zhaanie said:
Has anyone encountered a monster named
Wispmother? She's in a snowy area full of ruins and massive staircases, surrounded by regular wisps.
I met her yesterday while exploring, but didn't stand a chance.

I'm only level 4 though.
I've read about her. So much stuff you learn from books, including map markers and miscellaneous quests. I've opened every book I have found because I do not want to miss a single quest.

daebo

The Xtortionist said:
Shit, I'm something like 12 hours in and only level 15. Not sure how you're leveling so quickly.

LOL, i'm only 12 hours in and only level 10. I'm wondering how you're leveling so quickly!

Anybody else doing the College of Magic quest line? So damn good. However,
I had to turn down the difficulty when I reached the Caller. Her and her flame pet kept kicking my ass. I was tried everything for about an hour finally gave up and lowered the level of difficulty by 1 :( .

I think I've done the main quest for about 1 hour and just took off doing my own thing. So damn good.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I've decided to go against my usual playstyle of a Spellsword and instead going duel-wield swords with heavy armour. It's strange and challenging at first but as I slowly creep up in the levels (level 5) I'm starting to feel stronger and stronger. I have a feeling that once I get far enough in (and with smithing and enchanting added to the mix) I'll be an unstoppable juggernaut.

zlatko said:
Anyone got some tips on how to level light armor fast? I'm unsure how you level this other than just letting enemies whack you and you don't block. Is that the trick ?

Also, I'm like level 14, and still using the starting area robe and hood... could someone steer me in the right direction on some better robes?

1. Yeah, let 'em beat you up for a while. Works well with Healing to level your Restoration at the same time.

2. Check out merchants; several of them sell various robes with 50% increased magic regen and possibly cost reductions for the various schools of magic.

daebo said:
LOL, i'm only 12 hours in and only level 10. I'm wondering how you're leveling so quickly!

Sneak levels instantly up to the mid 30s when you sneak crit a humanoid enemy.

Also, Enchanting levels up ridiculously fast. Each dismantle and creation gains you a level in it up to at least level 30.

bitoriginal

zlatko said:

Hey dude, sorry this is unrelated but I recall you mentioning you were getting motion sickness from playing. I was experiencing a similar thing as first but I'm over it now. I'm wondering if you have adapted to it, or if you found a way to change the FOV or something?

Zhaanie

Banned
DeathIsTheEnd said:
I've killed one. I think it was very near to
South Skybound Watch
. I just kept hitting her with my sword and used a few potions.

Ah, I wasn't able to do any real damage before dying almost instantly lol. :/

Also, Draugr Scourge can use Unrelenting Force? I just met one and he seemingly one-shotted me, even though I had full health. o_O

styl3s

Also i don't know if this is a glitch or is supposed to happen but
the companions that you can join, after i saved and before i went to bed i thought i would just attack and see how many i could kill, turns out its just like a sparring thing, the person you attack will attack back but not kill you and no one else will kill you and i did this over and over like 6 times to the same person and it leveled up my destro/1h and armor.. maybe you can just grind your stuff on these people?

Echoplx

College of winterhold quest line related

how the hell do I beat morekai? I'm lvl 17 and he just 2 shots me before i get near him and i do no damage, i refuse to stop doing this quest line now because of an OP boss in a game all about scaling around the player.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
bitoriginal said:
Hey dude, sorry this is unrelated but I recall you mentioning you were getting motion sickness from playing. I was experiencing a similar thing as first but I'm over it now. I'm wondering if you have adapted to it, or if you found a way to change the FOV or something?

You can open up the console (tilde key) and type...

fov x

...where x is the value you want. 80 seems to be a good one.

zlatko

Banned
bitoriginal said:

You can change the FOV in game by hitting ~ then type "fov XX". (The x's being the number, and you don't need parenthesis) I have it set to 80, but I honestly still get motion sickness if I play too long in first person which generally takes a few minutes. I play almost entirely in third person unless I get into combat. :(

herzogzwei1989 said:
I was raised on Japanese RPGs for consoles during the 8-bit, 16-bit and 32/64-bit eras, that's all I played. So that said, is it normal that I feel totally overwhelmed by a huge western RPG? One that lets you go anywhere, free to do what you want, play like you want . I played a little bit of Oblivion but didn't get far. So Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I'm actually diving into wholeheartedly. I'm not only an TES noob, I am a western RPG noob as well.
I was totally lost the first time I played oblivion. The first couple of characters I created were shit; I couldn't even kill a single mudcrab because I didn't allocate my skill points properly and didn't even use the right weapon. It's normal to feel overwhelmed. Keep playing, it'll pass. Eventually you'll tell yourself "meh, this game isn't as big as everyone says". That's because you'll understand everything and be comfortable with the game.

Keep playing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god damn it!

I recalled reading some skill where you can increase your unarmed combat, I just didn't know where it was and that skill tree, while nice looking, isn't conducive to just outright TELLING me what's there without having to go from star to star.

Now I wish I didn't put points into light armour... ;_; is there a respec potion????

AuthenticM said:
I was totally lost the first time I played oblivion. The first couple of characters I created were shit; I couldn't even kill a single mudcrab because I didn't allocate my skill points properly and didn't even use the right weapon. It's normal to feel overwhelmed. Keep playing, it'll pass. Eventually you'll tell yourself "meh, this game isn't as big as everyone says". That's because you'll understand everything and be comfortable with the game.

Keep playing.

Also note that it's almost impossible to fuck your your character build in Skyrim. You'd have to pick stamina at every level up or something equally crazy.

AuthenticM said:

Keep playing.

Thanks man.

Morokh

Just finished the
Sanguine quest
never saw it coming :D

Is there a way to grap the two chests in the little room below the portal ? i always get teleported in the cave again -_-

cyberheater

herzogzwei1989 said:
Man, I have to start over. no crashes or anything, I just need to begin again.

Why. What happened? How many hours did you sink in?

How do I find Lydia?

I told her to go fetch something out of a chest, but I went and got the items from the chest instead, then had to run away as fast as I could.

I can't remember where I left her.

A guy started talking to me in Solitude. He seemed quite... Out of it.

If this doesn't lead into a Sheogorath quest, I'll be surprised.

bitoriginal

EviLore said:
You can open up the console (tilde key) and type...

fov x

...where x is the value you want. 80 seems to be a good one.

Thanks for the responses. I'm playing 360 though so it sounds like I'm screwed, bizarrely I have never experienced it in other games, even Dead Island was fine for me. I find it passable to play in first person, but third person unarmed is just so damn close to the character model that I find it a little overwhelming and can't handle it. Very odd. I miss Fallout 3 where you could control the camera in third person.

FHIZ

Finally joined the found the Dark Brotherhood last night... finally as in I refused to fast travel anywhere, so I ended up walking to various corners of the freaking map, but still, I love these quests. Even the first grunt quests. Just finding your target, stalking them till they're a sleep or no one is around and firing an arrow into their head (or butt, for once case) to have them drop in one shot is so freaking fun.

Also, during the initiation
as soon as I was told where to find it, I definitely went back to the other two possible victims and just put an arrow in them for the fun of it. HEY, they were assholes to me

jaaz

Yes Ralof, I will follow you wherever you go my brother (particularly to that cute sister of yours). Seriously, how can anyone trust any faction with "Imperial" in the name?

bruce8hupj.jpg

Thats my lvl 6 Breton Mage - Bruce.

Hah, [Daedric Spoilers]
It's Sheogorath all right, in the flesh, even. Wes Johnson provides his voice again, too, amazing. So that's what became of my Oblivion character? Good thing I rolled an Imperial. :lol

3chopl0x said:
College of winterhold quest line related

how the hell do I beat morekai? I'm lvl 17 and he just 2 shots me before i get near him and i do no damage, i refuse to stop doing this quest line now because of an OP boss in a game all about scaling around the player.

Is that the dude that
makes copies of himself, shoots you with arrows and shouts your equipped weapon out of your hands?
. If so, I had to resort to hiding behind a pillar on the platform near the centre of the room and shooting him with arrows repeatedly. Knocked my bow out of my hands about 20 times though, and each time you have to pick it back up and go back into the item menu to re-equip it, even if it's marked as a favourite. Fuck that guy.

EviLore said:
Skyrim version has a bit much of cookie cutter dungeon crawling and not enough in terms of interesting heists or set pieces. Mixed bag. Final mission in Oblivion's thieves guild quest line is more memorable than Skyrim's stuff.
Shame, that's also how I felt about the Dark Brotherhood.

Ghost23

I played about 2 hours last night. It's great, but I have a few questions.

- I am playing as an Imperial, but aren't the Imperials the bad guys who are trying to rule over everyone? Am I just a rebel?

- I feel like my one-handed is leveling faster than my magic even though I am using the lightning and fire spells more often. Maybe it's because I am finishing off the enemies with the mace instead of the magic.

-There is a sidequest that asks to kill the bandits in a little base besides Whiterun, but I can't find the leader. I've killed everyone else. Where is he?

My only issue with the game so far is that I am somewhat underwhelmed by the size of Skyrim. I have almost walked all the way to Winterhold already, which is like half of the map. Anyone else feel this way? Besides that, however, I'm loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom