• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what's the verdict on the feel and playability of the melee combat versus Oblivion? (I thought it was too detached in the older ES games and only got worse as the visual representations got better yet made the feel of fighting seem worse due the increased disparity.) It's the only thing keeping me from picking this up sooner than later.

Salazar

MightyHedgehog said:
So, what's the verdict on the feel and playability of the melee combat versus Oblivion?

Feels great. Not just versus Oblivion; it simply feels really good.

I'm playing with the camera a bit behind the shoulder.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
In what town can I buy some badass bow?

herzogzwei1989 said:
I was raised on Japanese RPGs for consoles during the 8-bit, 16-bit and 32/64-bit eras, that's all I played. So is it normal that I feel totally overwhelmed by a huge western RPG that lets you go anywhere, free to do what you want, play like you want ?

yeah, most japanese players reported the same feeling but about Just Cause 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Vampire = CURED!

God, this game is the fucking best. I just got hit by a trap that killed me instantly! When did that EVER happen in that shitty Oblivion-game?

BeeDog

One major complaint I have is that dungeons are too long (I've only tried three of them so far though). I'm doing one of the early Companion quests where I go into a dungeon with one of the other members, and after plowing through thousand zombies, I reach a door that takes me to yet another level that seems equally big. It's grating as fuck.

NBtoaster

So my doggy is immortal? Whenever he would normally die he just stands there and enemies ignore him. He returns to normal after a while. It's like he is being knocked unconcious but doesn't have the animations to deal with it.

But look at that face, I couldn't handle him dying.
dogh77fy.png

stray dog > dogmeat

BeeDog said:
One major complaint I have is that dungeons are too long (I've only tried three of them so far though). I'm doing one of the early Companion quests where I go into a dungeon with one of the other members, and after plowing through thousand zombies, I reach a door that takes me to yet another level that seems equally big. It's grating as fuck.
You've only done 3.

They range from about 10 minutes to two hours.

Lyonaz

Raxus said:
How do you increase your carrying capacity in this game?
Stamina raises it. So try make potions that temporarily raise it for when you're overburdened. Every +10 stamina is +5 carry weight I think.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
I went exploring and encountered some tough undead caster. Had a massive battle, slinging spells back and forward at each other. I finally arrived victorious, and got some pretty rad loot. I'm level 12 so it was pretty satisfying. No creature scaling is great :D

UsmUA.jpg

0WfBZ.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously? Seriously? YOU CAN BIND YOUR FAVORITE GEAR/SPELLS TO A NUMBER? And no one told me this?! Oh my God... I was pausing to go to the favorite-menu everytime I wanted to switch spell!

Styles

Meisadragon said:
This game is damn addictive. I never cared that much about Oblivion, but damn, I love this game to bits. Also, I'm pretty sure one guard said, "You're already dead," during the
Dragon fight in Whiterun
Dang... I should have taken a screenshot. It was hilarious.

Yep, instantly reminded me of that meme,lol.

Playing on expert and I cannot count how many times I've died. One of my deaths involved me trapping myself inside a hut and trying to cheese some little critters that dished out huge amounts of damage with their spray, but, that failed 10 minutes in when one of them slid inside as I opened the door to try and lure them back.

cdyhybrid

OK, kinda general question about what kind of character to start off with. How viable would a magic-using assassin type character be? Dagger in one hand for sneak attacks, magic in the other hand (probably Illusion most of the time). I can't decide between that setup or a typical warrior type character (although I would still have to decide whether to go sword and board/two handed/dual wield).

I would probably start off with the warrior-type, but in Oblivion I felt like you wouldn't get the full experience (and the bonuses) out of the Dark Brotherhood questline unless you were an assassin-type character. The DB line was my favorite part of the whole game in Oblivion, so I want to make sure I fully enjoy it in this one.

f0rk

Yoshichan said:
Seriously? Seriously? YOU CAN BIND YOUR FAVORITE GEAR/SPELLS TO A NUMBER? And no one told me this?! Oh my God... I was pausing to go to the favorite-menu everytime I wanted to switch spell!

How >.>

Also is there a Alchemy 'guild' in any of the cities? It seems hard to get started.

Shadybiz

inter said:
As a TES noob, is it worthwhile to purchase the guide for this or should I just try and figure out things as I go?

Having bought the guide for Oblivion, I can say that it's not a "necessary" purchase, but it will most likely show you A LOT of stuff that you wouldn't have discovered on your own. It's also good as a reference guide if you can't quite remember where something is, and it for some reason isn't in your quest log or map or whatever. I plan to buy the one for Skyrim, it's just so packed with info. Gamestop was out of them last night, unfortunately.

All that said, I played for 3.5 hours last night (PS3), and it went by like nothing. Woke up this morning and snuck in a half hour before the wife woke up. Game is damn good, and I really like the new perk system so far.

I'm a Dunmer thief/mage. I love the magic in this game, and I'm digging the lockpicking minigame. It's definitely better than Oblivion's system imo, but it took some getting used to, because I never really got into FO3.

I have a wedding to go to today, and I will be thinking about Skyrim for much of the time.

neoemonk

Gravijah said:
i'm... not sure i'll be playing any other games this fall/winter. might as well cancel my gamefly.

My wife is going out of town for seven weeks.

I'm canceling my cable.

Skyrim, you're all I neeeeeed

QP3

So I consider myself a relatively casual gamer. Between university and my job, gaming sessions for me usually only last between 1-2 hours at most.

With that said, I played this game for 6.5 straight hours yesterday
which is a marathon for me
. Today, I have nourishment in the form of red bull and and random snacks, and plan on doing nothing but immerse myself in this game.

Hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am!

pringles

My badass Wood-Elf archer/thief. Still only lvl 5, just completed the Golden Claw quest.

Not sure if I'm going to advance the main quest now or if I'll just go in a random direction and explore.. liking the game a lot so far though, and the depth seems even crazier than in Morrowind. So much stuff to do, so many ways to fight, so many things to choose from when leveling up. This game is gonna last a while for sure.

IMG_0258.jpg

newsguy

Bethesda veterans please help. I've said before that I love the theory of these games but my frustration usually stops me short of playing all the way through them. It's because I never played this style of rpg and now that I'm older I can appreciate the atmosphere. Anyway, so I'm like 5 hours in and I decided to accept a quest that sounded interesting. After walking a lot and cheesing/dodging some very tough creatures along the way, I reached the place. I go in, meet the second round of enemies and proceed to catch an ass whipping. I try amd try again wit different combinations of things but nothing works. At this point what do I do? Should I accept that I probably need to be stronger with my weapons and magic and simply get out and fast travel to some earlier place? Is there something I'm missing in combat maybe? My fear is "I'm doing it wrong" since I've no experience with this style of game and I'm not enjoying it like others.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This game need the ol "buyback" feature as I have accidentally forgotten I'm on my own items and sold stuff away. >_>

People keep telling me I look sick even though I am well rested. Did I catch something?

Fjordson said:
Did you cut that Dark Elf out of the web? After killing the giant spider? He has the golden claw on him.
I did and when he ran away talking about getting something before me I shot him then beat his ass to a pulp. I didn't know he had something I needed to get what he wanted.

robin2

d1rtn4p said:
Where can I buy conjuration spells in the early game?
Hi traveller,
the mage counselor of Whiterun's Jarl has a good assortments of spells.
Or you can also check the general stores, they have a bit of everything and sometimes also a couple of minor spellbooks.

Farewell.

I was raised on Japanese RPGs for consoles during the 8-bit, 16-bit and 32/64-bit eras, that's all I played. So that said, is it normal that I feel totally overwhelmed by a huge western RPG? One that lets you go anywhere, free to do what you want, play like you want . I played a little bit of Oblivion but didn't get far. So Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I'm actually diving into wholeheartedly. I'm not only an TES noob, I am a western RPG noob as well.

lol51

Found a way to exploit NPC training with pickpocket.

Im level 23 with 70 pickpocket 50 alchemy and nearly no combat perks :O
(12 hours in)

Ive made a huge mistake. To teach myself not to do that again I will turn difficulty up.

Dice said:
People keep telling me I look sick even though I am well rested. Did I catch something?

I had that too... but I think it was just the apothecary trying to scare me into buying cure disease potions.

Zhaanie

Banned
Has anyone encountered a monster named Wispmother? She's in a snowy area full of ruins and massive staircases, surrounded by regular wisps. I met her yesterday while exploring, but didn't stand a chance.

I'm only level 4 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom