• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
DanielJr82 said:
Stare in awe at the scope and foliage. Then press start and check out my stats. :p

This, pretty much. Check out the scenery, play around with the controls, get a feel for the new inventory and interface. Then I'll just explore and go from there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't really consider those spoilers though I know everyone else seems to. They're more features than spoilers. Regardless, one of those has been common knowledge for a long time. The other hasn't.

bengraven

I'm probably going to do the main quest until the first Jarl's request, then do what I want.

Nah, I'm kidding, I'm skipping the MQ for a long time.

DennisK4 said:
hmmm.....thats a toughy.....but I am going to go with taking some screenshots.

DU6xf.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Emerson said:
I don't really consider those spoilers though I know everyone else seems to. They're more features than spoilers. Regardless, one of those has been common knowledge for a long time. The other hasn't.

Well, it has been leaked so far and wide, I assumed the majority already knew about it anyway. Guess I was wrong. Again, sorry about that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ironcreed said:
Well, it has been leaked so far and wide, I assumed the majority already knew about it anyway. Guess I was wrong. Again, sorry about that.

Yeah, I was really defending you more than anything. Shit happens and I think people who get that upset about something like that should just stay off the internet anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
abundant said:
The Lockpick perk tree will be pretty useful, especially the last one
your lockpicks will not break.
In Oblivion? Useless, i didn't need the skill. I get over 30 lockpicks at the starter dungeon, which is more than enough for the whole game as i'm careful and good enough at the minigame even with low skill.
In Skyrim? Do i need 100 lockpicking to unlock Very Hard lock or not? If yes, fuck. If not, i don't need the skill.

Justin

I went to my departments annual "benefits" meeting yesterday only to find out that it was not actually a "benefits" meeting as the outlook reminder said but it was actually a "your whole department is being laid off" meeting. Last day is 11-11-11. Perfect timing!

ironcreed

Banned
Arment said:
Someone who has played the previous games knows about that stuff already but we have first timers. Best to be cautious.

Yes, but
werewolves were not in Oblivion. So, I imagine that many who enjoyed Blood Moon were hoping they would be making a return.
I just thought that most already knew about it at this point. Regardless, will not be taking info like that for granted around here again.

Arment

Justin said:
I went to my departments annual "benefits" meeting yesterday only to find out that it was not actually a "benefits" meeting as the outlook reminder said but it was actually a "your whole department is being laid off" meeting. Last day is 11-11-11. Perfect timing!

Weighing the pros and cons perfectly.

ironcreed said:
Yes, but
werewolves were not in Oblivion. So, I imagine that many who enjoyed Blood Moon were hoping they would be making a return.

I, for one, was. Doubly excited now.

Woorloog said:
In Oblivion? Useless, i didn't need the skill. I get over 30 lockpicks at the starter dungeon, which is more than enough for the whole game as i'm careful and good enough at the minigame even with low skill.
In Skyrim? Do i need 100 lockpicking to unlock Very Hard lock or not? If yes, fuck. If not, i don't need the skill.
I think not. However, if you try picking a Master lock with a low lockpicking skill, your locks are going to break at the slightest tension.

Wallach

Emerson said:
Yeah, I was really defending you more than anything. Shit happens and I think people who get that upset about something like that should just stay off the internet anyway.

Well, more importantly if this game is anything like Morrowind (and from reports I think this was actually confirmed), things along those lines specifically will get "spoiled" by loading screens. Hard to get on people too much about it from that perspective.

I still can't decide what to actually play now. Wish I had never looked at some of the perks! It'll probably play out a lot like Fallout where I just run multiple characters.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
I think not. However, if you try picking a Master lock with a low lockpicking skill, your locks are going to break at the slightest tension.
So i can pick high level locks with low skill? Good. All need to is to learn the exact locations how to unlock the thing and i'm good to go. And i don't have to waste perks on it.

"Skyrim tip: reanimation can turn a dead mudcrab into a lifelong undead bud-crab."

http://twitter.com/#!/nickbreckon

Undead mudcrab buddy :eek:

KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?

Not go to the first interesting thing I see, but in the opposite direction. It paid off in Morrowind when some bloke fell out of the sky with some cool gear, including a certain scroll which increased acrobatics by a fairly silly amount. Really want stuff like that happening in Skyrim.

Wallach

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Not go to the first interesting thing I see, but in the opposite direction. It paid off in Morrowind when some bloke fell out of the sky with some cool gear, including a certain scroll which increased acrobatics by a fairly silly amount. Really want stuff like that happening in Skyrim.

I have to imagine every Morrowind fan remembers that guy's scream as he falls to the ground. Few better ways to open a game than a wizard falling out of the sky and dying upon impact right in front of you.

CrocMother said:
Bootay why are all your screenshots of locales we have seen in the demos?

I would assume it's because the demos took place at early points in the game, and so far I've only been to Helgen, Riverwood, Whiterun and their outlying areas.

KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?
Once I spend the ludicrous amount of time creating my character, I'm gonna zip through the initial area to get to the outside. Once I'm out, I'm going in the direction that looks the most interesting. Most likely towards the largest mountain in view.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Wallach said:
I have to imagine every Morrowind fan remembers that guy's scream as he falls to the ground. Few better ways to open a game than a wizard falling out of the sky and dying upon impact right in front of you.

Definitely. I hope there's more stuff like this in Skyrim. Oblivion was kind of short of it.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
moojito said:
Anyone getting the pc version of this planning to use a controller? I just got a wired 360 controller and might have a go using that, as I figure the UI is designed with a controller in mind.

I'll most likely go this route. I'll be the first to admit that I don't give a rat's ass about mods other than most simple, user-friendly ones out there. Tried getting into modding with Oblivion after hearing some of the carnival barkers on here preach about how easy it was (and it was, so long as you only loaded up two or three mods, max, preferrably from the same developer for compatibility's sake). I loaded up a little more than that to the best of my ability with the instructions provided and ending up with a bunch of floating exclamation points in my game world (when it didn't outright crash).

Then I was told that in order to make the mods mesh I'd need to use another, more intricate modding interface than OMM that I can't remember the name of. At that point I gave up in disgust.

Better textures and smoother framerate is good enough for me. :/

Arment

DOO13ER said:
I'll most likely go this route. I'll be the first to admit that I don't give a rat's ass about mods other than most simple, user-friendly ones out there. Tried getting into modding with Oblivion after hearing some of the carnival barkers on here preach about how easy it was (and it was, so long as you only loaded up two or three mods, max, preferrably from the same developer for compatibility's sake). I loaded up a little more than that to the best of my ability with the instructions provided and ending up with a bunch of floating exclamation points in my game world (when it didn't outright crash).

Then I was told that in order to make the mods mesh I'd need to use another, more intricate modding interface than OMM that I can't remember the name of. At that point I gave up in disgust.

Better textures and smoother framerate is good enough for me. :/

I just recently did a full Oblivion install with textures and a bunch of other stuff. It's no easy task installing that crap. I had to fully uninstall (including each DLC individually, of which there are 8) the game about 5 times until I got it right.

Then I played an hour, got bored, and uninstalled it. Compared to Skyrim, even with modded textures, Oblivion just doesn't compare. I can't believe how incredibly ugly the characters look in Oblivion compared to Skyrim. What the hell.

kevm3

So are there monsters out there that are just significantly above your player that you HAVE to level up? What I've understood is that the area that you walk into sort of locks into a range depending on whatever level your character is in. I hope that doesn't mean you can just walk through the game as a low level character, I'm glad that it seems like there is much more challenge. Challenge is what makes it feel like you against the world. In Oblivion, there was never much challenge.

Woorloog

Banned
kevm3 said:
So are there monsters out there that are just significantly above your player that you HAVE to level up? What I've understood is that the area that you walk into sort of locks into a range depending on whatever level your character is in. I hope that doesn't mean you can just walk through the game as a low level character, I'm glad that it seems like there is much more challenge. Challenge is what makes it feel like you against the world. In Oblivion, there was never much challenge.
Say there's an area with level range of 25-35. Go there at level 1, what happens?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Arment said:
I just recently did a full Oblivion install with textures and a bunch of other stuff. It's no easy task installing that crap. I had to fully uninstall (including each DLC individually, of which there are 8) the game about 5 times until I got it right.

Then I played an hour, got bored, and uninstalled it. Compared to Skyrim, even with modded textures, Oblivion just doesn't compare. I can't believe how incredibly ugly the characters look in Oblivion compared to Skyrim. What the hell.
So "doesn't compare" just in context of graphics and artstyle, or regarding gameplay and fun, too? Your Story is pretty much how _every_ attempt of playing Oblivion again did go for me, that's why I'm hesitating on Skyrim.

edit: I understood it like you've played Skyrim, my question's pretty pointless if I'm wrong here :)

Woorloog said:
Say there's an area with level range of 25-35. Go there at level 1, what happens?

The monster is level 25 and you most likely die.

If you were level 27, it would be at 27.

If you were level 43, it would be at 35.

Make sense? I actually think it is a great system.

Woorloog

Banned
CrocMother said:
Exactly. So no, merely running through the game is not easy, and for a casual player, probably impossible.

CrocMother said:
Yeah, i think so too. FO3 had this system BTW.

Bootaaay said:

So these are all PS3 shots? Looks good. Whats the framerate / screen tearing like?

Enco

The LP is making me so much more excited for this.

Can imagine just walking around, sitting in bars and enjoying the environment.

woober

Arment said:

You obviously didn't try character mods like this:

ob6i.jpg

Can't wait to see insane mods for Skyrim.

Arment

Bufbaf said:
So "doesn't compare" just in context of graphics and artstyle, or regarding gameplay and fun, too? Your Story is pretty much how _every_ attempt of playing Oblivion again did go for me, that's why I'm hesitating on Skyrim.

edit: I understood it like you've played Skyrim, my question's pretty pointless if I'm wrong here :)

I have not played Skyrim actually. I've only seen media and what not.

Mostly it's just knowing something better is coming around soon. I've "beaten" Oblivion a couple different times and given how dated it looks, even with Qarl's Texture Pack, I just got bored and uninstalled it.

woober said:
You obviously didn't try this character mod:

Can't wait to see insane mods for Skyrim.

I sure didn't. I think I installed mostly environment mods like QTP3 and All Natural.

I didn't bother with the fancy model mods because it seemed to me they were modeled around the female characters and required armor model updates to fit the model. I don't really like playing as a woman or having to add even more mods. It was difficult enough :lol

Woorloog

Banned
woober said:
You obviously didn't try character mods like this:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9940/ob6i.jpg[IMG]

Can't wait to see insane mods for Skyrim.[/QUOTE]
Urgh, this is why i find Morrowind mods so much better, Oblivion character mods are largerly very repulsive, style being at odds at Oblivions style. The clothing is even worse.
Sure, they're well made, but not Oblivion. Most Morrowind mods fit the game so much better. Most, not all and Oblivion has a fair share of good mods as well.

kevm3

CrocMother said:

If you were level 27, it would be at 27.

If you were level 43, it would be at 35.

So the game pretty much has 'base levels' for different zones that scale upwardly if you exceed that minimum level. That is excellent. You actually have to level up now and play cautiously, and this may give you one of those huge risk-reward scenarios where you enter a dungeon that is way past your level just to rush through and grab a weapon.

This should add a ton of tension to the game in comparison to Oblivion where it made sense to stay a low level unless you wanted elementals or everybody and their grandmomma in Daedric Gear. This also looks like it means no more beating the game at level 5.

Arment

Oh man I just checked the sneaking page on TES Wiki and it seems like playing a sneaky character is going to be a hundred times more fun.

neoemonk said:
What is this main quest everyone keeps talking about? Since when does Bethesda put main quests in these games? Nonsense!

The main quest is actually a big side quest accompanying all these little main quests. :O

Wallach

Arment said:
Oh man I just checked the sneaking page on TES Wiki and it seems like playing a sneaky character is going to be a hundred times more fun.

The main quest is actually a big side quest accompanying all these little main quests. :O

Go look at Illusion. FUUUUUUUUUU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom