• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

woober

Woorloog said:
Urgh, this is why i find Morrowind mods so much better, Oblivion character mods are largerly very repulsive, style being at odds at Oblivions style. The clothing is even worse.
Sure, they're well made, but not Oblivion. Most Morrowind mods fit the game so much better. Most, not all and Oblivion has a fair share of good mods as well.

Yeah, the Oblivion mods look nice but don't fit the game's art style. If anything, they're more like fan service for people who are into anime.

craigrushforth said:
So these are all PS3 shots? Looks good. Whats the framerate / screen tearing like?

Yeah, PS3 shots - I haven't noticed any screen tearing, and the framerate seems fairly stable, although it took a brief, but noticeable dip during one particularly tense battle where there were a load of bandits and a couple of mages using their magic at the same time.

kevm3

woober said:
You obviously didn't try character mods like this:

ob6i.jpg

Can't wait to see insane mods for Skyrim.

Looks like something that would be in Final Fantasy 13 or some JRPG with the metrosexual/dolled out look to it. Doesn't really fit the Oblivion world, although it is a deal better than the attrocious Oblivion faces. Thank God Skyrim actually has very nice stock faces.

Arment

Wallach said:
Makes me want to do a Nightblade style approach. It's hard to ignore the potential for high-level douchebaggery.

Seeing how daggers get some love in this game I was definitely considering the Mage Assassin type.

Woorloog

Banned
woober said:
Yeah, the Oblivion mods look nice but don't fit the game's art style. If anything, they're more like fan service for people who are into anime.
Which is why i find them so repulsive.
That said there are mods that have both fanservice and fit the game.

Argh, i cannot decide what to play first in Skyrim. Warrior-type, sneaky-type or mage-type?
Dunmer archer with some magic mixed in might be what i play... but there's just too many possibilities!

zlatko

Banned
I only got a few hours into Oblivion and never had a gaming PC around Morrowind's time.

So for me, this will be the first Elder Scrolls game I'll get to go all the way through and lose myself in. I played a shit ton of Fallout 3 though, and my love for that game and Todd Howard has me extremely excited for Skyrim.

Confessions. ; ;

Woorloog said:
Urgh, this is why i find Morrowind mods so much better, Oblivion character mods are largerly very repulsive, style being at odds at Oblivions style. The clothing is even worse.
Sure, they're well made, but not Oblivion. Most Morrowind mods fit the game so much better. Most, not all and Oblivion has a fair share of good mods as well.

There is nothing, nothing more repulsive than the original Oblivion character models...holy were they ugly...even my dad pissed himself laughing when I was playing that game

woober

nelsonroyale said:
There is nothing, nothing more repulsive than the original Oblivion character models...holy were they ugly...even my dad pissed himself laughing when I was playing that game

ScreenShot202.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Any anime-styled character model is even more repulsive. Actually, i don't care about Oblivion character models, their main duty is to provide something to give me quest, something to buy fro and sell stuff to and something to kill. And i spent most of my time wandering around, using first person so the models are not an issue for me. Besides, clothing and armor were nice enough, leaving only faces which are bad.

bengraven

woober said:
You obviously didn't try character mods like this:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9940/ob6i.jpg

Can't wait to see insane mods for Skyrim.

It scares me to think how many hours someone would have to spend modding Oblivion to make just this character. "download each of these mods: better faces, smoother textures, new eyes, new hairstyles, new clothing, alternate clothing patch, new clothing v. 1.2", etc.

haha, I just shivered thinking of all the patching I did with Oblivion and Morrowind. My Ob folder was like 50gig+.

Woorloog said:
Any anime-styled character model is even more repulsive. Actually, i don't care about Oblivion character models, their main duty is to provide something to give me quest, something to buy fro and sell stuff to and something to kill. And i spent most of my time wandering around, using first person so the models are not an issue for me. Besides, clothing and armor were nice enough, leaving only faces which are bad.

I agree with you mostly, though some face mods actually looked halfway decent if they could have put in the work to add some variety to the rest of the faces.

Like Fallout 3's Project Beauty. Dracomies is my homie.

D3Ntp.jpg

Arment

nelsonroyale said:

Amen to that. Beautiful environment, extremely embarrassing character models

Solo said:
I am ready

Me too. Nice avatar change.

Lakitu

st5fu
I always feel guilty when I miss stuff in this thread.

Anyway, nice screens Bootaaay. It looks amazing.

What are you general feelings so far? How many hours in? Your Wood Elf is badarse.

ironcreed

Banned
Solo said:
Its even worse in motion with that janky ass facial animation

:lol

Don't forget the static conversations where the game pauses and zooms in on their face. So glad all of that is gone now with Skyrim. Details like this shows how improved it really is.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That Oblivion mod girl looks SO much better than the stock game, I didn't even know that was technically possible. Maybe I'll try it again with mods.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'll rather play Skyrim. But really, that model looks amazing.

Arment

Elves went from looking pretty cool in Morrowind to looking like...that in Oblivion...to looking awesome again in Skyrim.

830px-Badasswoodelf.jpg
1030000343.jpg

Wood Elves looking badass, whodathunkit?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bootaaay said:
Yeah, PS3 shots - I haven't noticed any screen tearing, and the framerate seems fairly stable, although it took a brief, but noticeable dip during one particularly tense battle where there were a load of bandits and a couple of mages using their magic at the same time.

Thanks for your impressions, Bootaaay.

edit^^^^^^^^^ that wood elf above looks like a cross between Spike from Gremlins and a meth addict. haha

I actually didn't mind the Oblivion models too much.

What I really had a problem with (and what was unmoddable) was that there were only like 5 voices for each gender in the whole world!

I don't want the vampire Count of Skingrad to sound like a guard from Bravil!

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Watching the history of Bethesda Game Studios via All Your History on Youtube.

It's sooooo good. Making me super hyped.

Dennis

Banned
Arment said:
Elves went from looking pretty cool in Morrowind to looking like...that in Oblivion...to looking awesome again in Skyrim.

830px-Badasswoodelf.jpg
1030000343.jpg

Wood Elves looking badass, whodathunkit?
Tiny elf head on roid body....

Also, MILF barmaid could get it Geralt-style.

I was going to wait to buy Skyrim since I'll be playing COD like a madwoman but they pulled me in with the awesome dragon slaying commercial.

Not sure if I should get this for Bill's Box or try to play it on low quality on my dated PC. Leanin' towards the former......

In any event. HYPE!

Lakitu said:
What are you general feelings so far? How many hours in? Your Wood Elf is badarse.

I've put 7 and a half hours in and it's entirely living up to expectations so far. The world is visually very beautiful and just begs to be explored, and the combat is a lot of fun. I love the kill animations, some of them are particularly brutal. I've mostly been spending my time doing minor side quests, exploring the area and hunting animals for pelts to make armour. Also, the dungeons really do seem quite unique so far, everyone looking visually different from the last (although I'm still early in) and with a fair amount of hidden loot to be found. It's been a ton of fun so far and I've really got that good old Elder Scrolls vibe of wanting to see and explore everything, plus any misgivings I had about stuff like the recharging health seem unfounded as the gameplay seems well balanced, with a fair amount of challenge.

Here's a few more random screenshots;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0067.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0064.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0071.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0072.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0079.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Fjordson said:
Lmao seriously. I loved the game, but looking backing, that stuff is ugly as sin.

adoring-fan.jpg

Never forget.

I remember a youtube of someone taking that dude up to the top of the tower in the Imperial City and then pushing him off the edge. Fucking hilarious.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Ok, so my boss at work offered to put aside a Skyrim CE for me. Can't decide between PS3 version or X360. I am leaning more towards the PS3 mainly because I buy most of my games on that system, but if the game is gimped like Bayonetta, I don't know. Help me gaf :(

Fjordson

Heshinsi said:
Ok, so my boss at work offered to put aside a Skyrim CE for me. Can't decide between PS3 version or X360. I am leaning more towards the PS3 mainly because I buy most of my games on that system, but if the game is gimped like Bayonetta, I don't know. Help me gaf :(
Sounds like the game will do you fine on either console. Grab the PS3 version if you want.

Heshinsi said:
Judging by the Gaffers PS3 impressions, it sounds like a solid port. Before today I world have told you 360, but is impressions sound pretty damn good. I say puck it up for PS3, since that is the system you play more. I'm not sure you cam go wrong this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom