• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenyal

xuchu said:
Hi, just got this on PS3 and loving it. Can anyone give me any tips on how to use the favourites menu. The up and down buttons bring the menu up but the left and right buttons don't do anything for me. What am I doing wrong?
You need to hold left or right for a bit to register the quick slot... Took me until lvl 25 to figure this out, oh well.

Clegg

Oh and the quests in Markarth are amazing too.

An investigation into a murder led to me being framed and sent to prison. I then took part in a Forsworn rebellion against the Nords in order to escape. This included an epic battle in the middle of the City against the city guards. Another quest asked me to investigate the halls of the dead. I did that and eventually ended up meeting one of the Daedra lords, becoming a cannibal and receiving the Lords ring which grants me a stats boost whenever I eat someone.

Game of the generation. Definitely.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ahahaha
i-PPTPkRk-XL.jpg

Ryan_

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Back to school work and life today. Booooooooooooooo, game is awesome. Spent all day Saturday and Sunday playing it (nearing level 30 I think) and there's still so much left to do. I'm getting Saints Row 3 tomorrow but that's going to have to sit in the corner for awhile.

I have the same problem, I'm in class right now and I'm still posting here, looking on the Skyrim wiki pages, ... This game has me in its grasp like few other games have done before.

And yea, other games have to mean nothing anymore, had to review L.A. Noire but it'll have to wait.

As a youngin', Pool of Radiance and Ultima 5 were my two favorite RPGs. I love when the world is totally open for you to discover it at your own pace, and this game reminds me of those old-time RPGs. I could not be happier.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, as well as date myself :)

webrunner

Things I've learned so far in Skryim:

- Mammoths can apparently fly. They are not so good at landing.

- People don't seem to be surprised if you return to them after killing the hitmen they sent after you.

- It's possible to get drunk so hard you wake up on the other side of the country.

- Guards will drag your ass hundreds of miles just so you can pay a 10 gold fine.

- People can tell if an item is stolen just by looking at it

- apparently a single wood mill can be an enclave of a different hold. One asked my fiancee to go talk to "the Jarl", but it wasn't to the city down the river a few minutes away, it was half way across the map.

Mastadon

Banned
SirButterstick said:
As a youngin', Pool of Radiance and Ultima 5 were my two favorite RPGs. I love when the world is totally open for you to discover it at your own pace, and this game reminds me of those old-time RPGs. I could not be happier.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, as well as date myself :)
Calm down Grandad!

I love PoR

Squill

Neo Member
HammerOfThor said:
How did you guys get enough money to buy a house? Just side quests?

I was able to do it just by exploring random dungeons and caves and selling the loot.

If I'm able to carry some extra stuff on my way back to sell at the city I will also grab some of the chest armors that the mobs will have on their corpses. Even though they may only sell for 50 or 100 gold it does add up after awhile.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
HammerOfThor said:
How did you guys get enough money to buy a house? Just side quests?

I don't know how you feel about blatant cheating, but
when you finally get enough money to buy a house, you can keep all that money if you can get the seller next to a storage container. Talk to him like you're going to buy the house, and when you agree to buy it, there is a small lag between when you actually select the dialogue option and your money is removed. Hit whatever key/button exits the conversation as quickly as you can, and then select the container (which is hopefully right next to him so you can just direct your aim toward it while he's talking) and dump all your gold inside. Once you have the key, you can safely take your gold back out. The same works for any of the house upgrades. I imagine this should also work for any transaction that takes place purely through dialogue, without a shop or training menu.

DoctorWho said:
Man. I hate being at work. I want to be home playing Skyrim.

Feeling the same way :(

Picked this up friday after work and have 35+ hrs in already.

I used a dagger once in the opening hrs of the game, its been Destruction(lvl 63 Adept) and Conjuration(lvl 53 Adept) all the way ever since.

I'm a lvl 17
Arch Mage. Finished the College of Winterhold main quest line
and I've put every skill point into magicka

Skyrim is absolutely glorious. Gaming nirvana if you will. =P

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
D4Danger said:
Does anyone know who Ansie (sp?) is?

He sent 3 people to kill me so my mission is now to find him and break his legs
HildyB said:
Anise.

She has a cabin outside of where you first enter the world outside Whiterun. You may have robbed her blind because she is old. This happens when you rob people and leave them alive to tell someone.
VxhcO.png

The shit's chess, it ain't checkers

Wanace

So I'm walking to an imperial encampment when a dragon attacks me. As I look up to shoot some spells at it, a cave bear attacks me. I dispatch the cave bear while trying to avoid the dragon, and right as the cave bear dies, I hear someone yelling at me. I look around and coming at me is a Boethian Cultist. He's dual wielding a mace and a pickaxe and is mad as hell about something. Maybe about the Boethian priest that met an unfortunate end at the hands of me and my cohorts earlier. At any rate he meets an untimely end as I take him out and then eliminate the dragon, which is vaporized by my chain lightning spell.

Alienups said:
Enter cave

end up spending 1.5 hours in a huge Dwemer hold with no end in sight

this fucking game

This. While trekking my way to a map marker I got walking by some guard in Solitude, I find an Ancient Nord dungeon, with an NPC within. We proceed to lay waste, I get some neat stuff, I leave, there's a dragon flying around that gets distracted FROM flaming me by all the Horkers around. 2 hours later, I finally make my way to my original destination.

Turns out there wasn't much there. GETTING THERE, though. That was fun.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I don't know if this got answered in the last 20 or so pages since I asked it, but is there a simple explanation of the differences between the primary melee weapon types? I want to use swords, but the maces of similar material always have higher damage.

Mastadon said:
Calm down Grandad!

I love PoR

Ha ha off my lawn and all that :)

I still have my the gold box versions of that and Azure Bonds lying around somewhere. Ahhhh . . . fond memories. Skyrim definitely brings back the feel of those classics.

Can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong here.

You guys are fighting Dragons and Cult members, while I'm worrying over upturned cabbage carts.

thefil

I'm 25 hours in now. My level 19 mage is mostly conjuration, some destruction and really trying to dabble in Illusion but it still seems mostly useless.

I've finished about 8 quests. I have the quest markers and compass turned off, so I spend a lot of time just wandering the countryside and getting distracted. The coast north of Winterhold has a lot of nice touches.

Am I having a bug with the Sapphire Claw? I got the claw and go to the door and tried the pattern and the door doesn't open. Arrows shoot out of the wall but don't hit me. I tried a couple times and ended up giving up on that pattern and just tried every possible combination and the door still wouldn't open. Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to figure out whether I should restart or not. I have about 12 hours right now, level 15 or so. I've solely been playing as a melee character, Heavy Armor, 1H + Shield. I've been thinking of using more spells.

Are Battlemage's feasible in this game? That way at least my points into 1H and Heavy Armor aren't completely wasted. Or should I just restart as a pure caster?

DarthWoo said:
I don't know if this got answered in the last 20 or so pages since I asked it, but is there a simple explanation of the differences between the primary melee weapon types? I want to use swords, but the maces of similar material always have higher damage.

I think maces are stronger but slower.

Desaan

DarthWoo said:

Just the perks/talents I think. Swords can critical hit and maces ignore armour.

Loxley

After 16+ hours with my first character, a Bosmer Archer/Thief, I started up a new one for poops and giggles. I'm aiming to make this guy a Paladin basically, focusing on 2-handed combat, heavy armor and Restoration spells...it's pretty fun so far; definitely a change up in playstyle (and man...two-handed weapons are fuckin' badass in this game).

So I killed a dragon and it went through the whole soul gathering animation I think. But it didn't unlock any of my shouts, is that normal?

HTuran

So, Thieve's Guild:

Incredible ending, loved it, right up until I returned to the Guild from the Sepulcher. Everyone still refers to me as "Brynolf's Lad" and seems to think I'm new there. I run the damn guild! Is this a bug? Is there any benefit within the guild to finishing the questline?

For the record, this game is incredible! Currently playing as a bow and dagger invisible Bosmer doing 15x sneak attacks with no sound. Pretty cool!

One more question: is it just me or are the Lockpicking perks completely useless?

Desaan

Inferno313 said:
So I killed a dragon and it went through the whole soul gathering animation I think. But it didn't unlock any of my shouts, is that normal?

Have you finished the Greybeard's quest?

webrunner

Inferno313 said:

Character screen
Magic
Shouts
Select shout (if you have a word that you haven't powered up yet)
Press X
Enjoy new shout.

Loxley said:
and man...two-handed weapons are fuckin' badass in this game.

Especially when you're a stealth/light armor/archer that pisses off the Orcish bandit captain and he slaps you in the damn face with one. That said, it feels like the stealth AI is a little better than Oblivion, but not by much. They don't auto-detect you wherever the hell you are, which is nice, but they also give up kinda quick. You'd figure that 3 dead bodies triggering someone to say "there's a cutthroat around here" would be cause for alarm.

CAW

Inferno313 said:
Yeah, you find the shouts in certain dungeons (that have the shout/dragon symbol) and then use the souls you've collected to activate them.

Valygar

RepairmanJack said:
Am I having a bug with the Sapphire Claw? I got the claw and go to the door and tried the pattern and the door doesn't open. Arrows shoot out of the wall but don't hit me. I tried a couple times and ended up giving up on that pattern and just tried every possible combination and the door still wouldn't open. Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Look the claw in your inventory. If you are in PC, it's clicking the model and then using the mouse wheel (a bit tricky). If you have already done that, I don't know...

H3xum

RepairmanJack said:

I had this same exact problem and found a solution (?)

It could have just been luck but I literally sat there for 20 minutes and entered every.single.combination. and then put in the right one last and it worked.

It has to be a bug, but that worked for me

Wanace

flashburn2012 said:
I'm trying to figure out whether I should restart or not. I have about 12 hours right now, level 15 or so. I've solely been playing as a melee character, Heavy Armor, 1H + Shield. I've been thinking of using more spells.

Are Battlemage's feasible in this game? That way at least my points into 1H and Heavy Armor aren't completely wasted. Or should I just restart as a pure caster?
I've been maxing destruction and I have put a lot of points into the swords (critical hits) part of one-handed and avoided doing the power attack/dual wielding paths.

Right now I attack with a sword in my right hand and destruction spells in my left. I don't wear any armor though aside from boots and gauntlets and I seem to be doing just fine.

Echoplx

HTuran said:
So, Thieve's Guild:

Incredible ending, loved it, right up until I returned to the Guild from the Sepulcher. Everyone still refers to me as "Brynolf's Lad" and seems to think I'm new there. I run the damn guild! Is this a bug? Is there any benefit within the guild to finishing the questline?
You aren't the leader yet, look for info on the remaining Thieves Guild achievement and you'll figure out what to do.

Raxus said:
Do you just need the advanced smithing and the armor to upgrade to legendary? I am already working towards dragonbone smithing at the moment.
Deadra is better than dragon so craft it if you can, it also requires less Smithing skill. Yes all you need is Deadra hearts and Ebony Ingots, and to upgrade each piece needs an additional ingot.

H3xum said:
I had this same exact problem and found a solution (?)

It could have just been luck but I literally sat there for 20 minutes and entered every.single.combination. and then put in the right one last and it worked.

It has to be a bug, but that worked for me

Hmm, I'll give it a try again. I entered all the combinations in but just gave up after that. I'll go back and give the pattern another try and if it doesn't work I'll try this again.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Just fought a dragon on top of a tower. Beat him down to within an inch of his life so he flies away. I look down from the tower to see him almost cowering. Felt a little bad..then i remembered he just tried to eat me. So i filled his face full of arrows and took his soul.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
HTuran said:
One more question: is it just me or are the Lockpicking perks completely useless?

Yeah not really useful, especially as you could just save before a difficult chest, a couple of the perks improve loot so I guess those could be cool, hard to justify when those perk points are so important though.

FoeHammer

Just killed a dragon outside of Riften and it was a Royal Rumble for the ages.

At one point I looked up and my companion, at least 4 guards and MY HORSE were attacking this bastard. My horse was actually kicking his legs up at the dragon; I'm not sure he was doing damage but it was hilarious.

Even more funny is that the horse survived the brawl while the guards did not.

This is the best game ever made.

HTuran

Ghost said:
Yeah not really useful, especially as you could just save before a difficult chest, a couple of the perks improve loot so I guess those could be cool, hard to justify when those perk points are so important though.
Yeah, I mean without any perks I can unlock a Master lock in roughly 5 picks, which is what, 30 gold? The rare treasure perk does have my attention, though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom