• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

For people who have finished the Thieves Guild Please help me.

Where is the tribute chest I got a key for? I want me gold.. We need an official help thread as this info isn't even in a wiki yet.

THRILLH0

Banned
Is there any reason to carry 2 of any weapon/armour apart from the possibility of selling it?

i.e. Does equipment wear and need to be repaired over time?

webrunner said:
Character screen
Magic
Shouts
Select shout (if you have a word that you haven't powered up yet)
Press X
Enjoy new shout.

Oh ok. That's what I needed to show. I had found shouts but they were still greyed out. I'll try this when I get out of class.

Picked up the game Friday and played as often as I could over the weekend, which wasn't often enough. I'm wishing I weren't at work right now, as I don't think I'd do anything today other than play Skyrim. It really is digital crack.

I've only worked the main quest so far to Whiterun. Other than that, it's been wandering the surrounding countryside to find locations and and hunt bandits. Skills and items are progressing nicely, but when I ran into a second dragon in the wild, I got my ass handed to me. Also giants. Stay away from them.

AShep said:
Is there any reason to carry 2 of any weapon/armour apart from the possibility of selling it?

i.e. Does equipment wear and need to be repaired over time?

I believe they removed armor and weapons degrading from Skyrim. Use to be an issue in past Elder Scrolls games.

HTuran

3chopl0x said:
You aren't the leader yet, look for info on the remaining Thieves Guild achievement and you'll figure out what to do.
Aw, man! Cheers for the info. Is it worth the effort? By the way,
which Nightingale skill did you pick? Or did you keep the skeleton key for yourself?

TheExodu5

Banned
Lockpicking perk is useless, as is the first pickpocketing perk (anything more than 1/5).

Smithing is essential for any physical character. It's too good, really.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Alienups said:
Enter cave

end up spending 1.5 hours in a huge Dwemer hold with no end in sight

this fucking game

Yup - this is what makes this game incredible. The difficulty is perfect (and becomes trivial once you learn to enchant), but that's not what Elder Scrolls is about. I'm trying to explain to my friend that the exploration and feeling of adventure is what drives the experience, but he's caught up on the fact that people are breaking the game.

Whatever the case, the cave I found last night took me a solid hour to wander through, and I'm definitely not done yet. There's an entire leg I've not entered yet (gotta solve a puzzle!!!), and I'm pretty sure it's not the end beyond the gate.

The detail that goes into every dungeon is insane. And the way they tie the world together (I found
Treasure Map X
that I'm excited to figure out) is mind numbingly awesome.

I found one Dwemer Ruin, got my shit exploded by a Sphere Bot or whatever, and decided I would come back later. A++

webrunner

How does Lockpicking skill work? I know how the minigame works, but does the minigame get easier (like, wider range) as you skill up, or do you need the perks for that?

What beneifit do you get for getting the skill itself up?

Echoplx

HTuran said:
Aw, man! Cheers for the info. Is it worth the effort? By the way,
which Nightingale skill did you pick? Or did you keep the skeleton key for yourself?

If you have the time and enjoy doing basic thief quests then I'd say it's worth it, it can get kinda tedious though.

I didn't really pay much attention to be honest, none of them really interested me/fitted my playstyle.

Hex

Banned
People are just throwing some spoilerish pics all up in here aren't they.
At least some people are tagging their stuff.
Being at work is ten times worse when there is Skyrim to get back to.

Cryptozoologist said:
I've been maxing destruction and I have put a lot of points into the swords (critical hits) part of one-handed and avoided doing the power attack/dual wielding paths.

Right now I attack with a sword in my right hand and destruction spells in my left. I don't wear any armor though aside from boots and gauntlets and I seem to be doing just fine.

Wearing Heavy Armor is what I'm concerned about. I'm seeing a lot of light armor that increases Magicka regen or increases magic damage, etc. Is not having that stuff going to severely gimp me as a magic user? Or will the Heavy Armor itself make up for that fact?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TheExodu5 said:
Lockpicking perk is useless, as is the first pickpocketing perk (anything more than 1/5).

Smithing is essential for any physical character. It's too good, really.

From what I've seen and read, the armor you can smith, upgraded to legendary, isn't all that worth dumping points into. Maybe I'm wrong, but legendary Glass and legendary Daedric, for example, are only the difference of like, 30 armor rating? Is this true?

I hope not, because I was really aiming to level and max smithing after I finish maxing archery and enchanting.

flashburn2012 said:
Wearing Heavy Armor is what I'm concerned about. I'm seeing a lot of light armor that increases Magicka regen or increases magic damage, etc. Is not having that stuff going to severely gimp me as a magic user? Or will the Heavy Armor itself make up for that fact?

Disenchant that stuff, level enchanting, enchant your heavy with magicka regen/damage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I decided to take a look outside my house and noticed something... the skybox in Skyrim is better looking than real life, what the fuck?

VDG75.jpg

Sarcasm

Is Anise needed at all lore/story wise? Because I did
Basement which I found out her secret so she got mad
than reloaded a save heh.

***edit

Also why is it stealing if the owner is dead!?!?

TheExodu5

Banned
nicoga3000 said:
From what I've seen and read, the armor you can smith, upgraded to legendary, isn't all that worth dumping points into. Maybe I'm wrong, but legendary Glass and legendary Daedric, for example, are only the difference of like, 30 armor rating? Is this true?

I hope not, because I was really aiming to level and max smithing after I finish maxing archery and enchanting.

Disenchant that stuff, level enchanting, enchant your heavy with magicka regen/damage.

That is true, yes. But for weapons, consider that a 22 damage Daedric Dagger becomes 44 damage when upgraded to Legendary. Also consider that a cheap Exquisite Elven Dagger is much better than a non-upgraded Daedric Dagger. Smithing is too good for weapons, really.

I think you can even stack +blacksmithing potions and gear and upgrade weapons even more, which is a tad ridiculous.

That being said, I was very disappointed I couldn't craft myself Daedric weapons for my thief...but I realized that Daedric weapons only provide ~4 more damage than Glass, even when fully upgraded. The upgrading system doesn't really scale with the base quality of the equipment, which is weird.

Leunam

I gave Lydia a Dwarven Warhammer. We were taking back a fort and as I was going up some stairs she flanks the guy I'm swinging at, yells something Nord-like, and caves in the side of his head in one swing. Dude spins in place and rolls down the stairs. I've had lots of moments like this in game while I fight alongside her and it's been awesome every time.

moop1167

This interface just really blows. Where's the paperdoll and ability to drag and drop things? I hate these long lists of items, where I can't compare things next to each other.

Also, I found a random horse in the wild... is there any way to store him somewhere? I went into a bandit cave and stopped playing for the night last night. Will he be there when I get out?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Has anybody completed the Dark Brotherhood yet and want to let me know (in spoilers) their general opinion on the questline? Anything as good as the ones in Oblivion like the house party quest? I haven't been overly impressed with those quests yet sadly.

moop1167 said:
This interface just really blows. Where's the paperdoll and ability to drag and drop things? I hate these long lists of items, where I can't compare things next to each other.

For armor and weapons on lower right corner it should show -/+ ratings of the thing you are looking at compared to what you have equipped.

TheExodu5

Banned
Advice to anyone: don't theorycraft the game. It exposes some ugly seams in the balance of the game. You'll have more fun if you just don't worry about it.

TheExodu5 said:
Advice to anyone: don't theorycraft the game. It exposes some ugly seams in the balance of the game. You'll have more fun if you just don't worry about it.
I'm a Mage and I've been hit like 3 times in 7 hours of playing :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TheExodu5 said:
That is true, yes. But for weapons, consider that a 22 damage Daedric Dagger becomes 44 damage when upgraded to Legendary. Also consider that a cheap Exquisite Elven Dagger is much better than a non-upgraded Daedric Dagger. Smithing is too good for weapons, really.

Fair enough - I mean, I've got no reason NOT to dump points into smithing. I really haven't spent many points outside of archery and speech. Also, I imagine the armor perk bonuses will help, too. Assuming the light/heavy trees are the same, you get what, +25% armor for a wearing all light, and like another +25% for wearing the same set, right? Something like that. I guess after you factor that stuff in, it's worth it.

Besides that, I really enjoy finding various ore veins and smelting it to ingots. While the system is simple in nature, it just adds a unique level of depth to the game. I hope they add some mods later that add some new ores and crafts. That right there will seriously lengthen this [already] deep and engaging experience.

Frillen

How do you know what icon there should be on the pillar puzzles? There's one with four pillars and I can't find the answer anywhere. Help!

Sarcasm said:
Also why is it stealing if the owner is dead!?!?

Good question. I ran across some bandits that tried to kill me, so I kill them. Then three of their buddies come back, try to kill me. I kill them. Apparently it's still theft if I take the horse that's left over, which is odd to me.

Granted I still took the fucker, but it seems a bit odd.

Doctor_20

Banned
So I need a place to store my dragon scales and bones. Lydia refuses to carry anymore. I don't have enough gold for a house yet. Where can I store them?

HTuran

Archery skill tree is probably my favorite. Zoom + Slow Time makes Dragons a cakewalk.

Doctor_20 said:
So I need a place to store my dragon scales and bones. Lydia refuses to carry anymore. I don't have enough gold for a house yet. Where can I store them?
I've just been selling mine. I dun goofd?

RedSwirl

Anybody else convinced the music in this game is basically Basil Poledouris?

In fact, 360 owners, go ahead and try to custom soundtrack this game with the Conan OST. Post results.

Firebrand

cuevas said:
I'm a Mage and I've been hit like 3 times in 7 hours of playing :)
I'm playing light armor sneaky warrior and I'm getting absolutely murdered in close combat. :| Thinking of maybe going back to heavy armor, I think the bigger issue is that I suck at timing my blocks though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Every fight against a dragon is like Gandalf vs Balrog. Mage vs Dragon = Coolest battles ever

webrunner

Doctor_20 said:

Store them at your local General Goods vendor. Then you'll have enough to buy a house.

(hint: there's an infinite number of dragons)

Firebrand said:
I'm playing light armor sneaky warrior and I'm getting absolutely murdered in close combat. :| Thinking of maybe going back to heavy armor, I think the bigger issue is that I suck at timing my blocks though.

Been adding points to your sneak? You'll eventually get to a point where you'll be damn near one hitting.

HTuran

Firebrand said:
It's tough, don't be afraid to run and hide. You'll soon get to the point where you're one-hitting enemies without being seen. Do the Thieve's Guild for some great armour and weapons. Archery is pretty essential.

Echoplx

Doctor_20 said:
I'm guessing you use them to smith dragon armor/weapons so yep you dun goofd.

Dragon Armor is worse than Deadra anyway, if you are going to bother putting lots of perks into smithing Deadra is better.

Salaadin

cartoon_soldier said:
For armor and weapons on lower right corner it should show -/+ ratings of the thing you are looking at compared to what you have equipped.

Im not sure if this is entirely accurate or if theres a glitch but I was having trouble with the +/- thing. I had a sword equipped and it was telling me that the on sale was +3 but when I looked, it was the exact same sword with the exact same stats. It happened again with 2 different swords even though the one on sale had less dmg than the one I had equipped.

I double check everytime now.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MustacheBandit_ said:
Is there a way to make it so right button casts the right spell and left the left?
When selecting a spell, press the left button to map it to the left hand and vice versa.

KingK

So, about 25 hours into the game, level 16, I've been using the same Dwarven armor and Skyforged Steel sword for a while now, and haven't seen anything better. Is this pretty much the best weapon/armor that I'll get unless I level up my Smithing skill (which I've completely neglected the whole game, I think it might be around level 20), or will I run into some better stuff yet?

TheKurgan

I love this game so far but have only managed to get my Nord up to lvl 6 (just killed my first dragon). I am lost when it comes to which perks to choose or even what stat I should upgrade each level. So far I have taken a Blocking, Heavy armor, and a bunch of single handed perks. I have also been increasing Health and Stamina at an equal rate. Things where going well until I ran into a Frost Troll and got raped. Now I am not sure if I am on the right path as far as my character build.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pure warrior build? What skill/perk trees should I focus on, etc…

Firebrand

HTuran said:
It's tough, don't be afraid to run and hide. You'll soon get to the point where you're one-hitting enemies without being seen. Do the Thieve's Guild for some great armour and weapons. Archery is pretty essential.
I don't really consider myself playing thief though, so... yeah, I'm not sure what to spec as, haha. I just like sneaking around a bit and take at least one guy by surprise.

Do I have to do something to attract dragons? I've seen them circling above me a few times but they don't land. Tried firing some arrows at them but they weren't impressed.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I gave Lydia my Frost axe. She freezes dudes and I hit them with the Skyforged GreatSword fuggin Steel.

I wish she had a unique name in every game. I hate to think that other people are having adventures with my Lydia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom