• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Looking at high resolution Oblivion screenshots... did the game really look like that? When the fuck did we consider Oblivion a good looking game?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, I'm not sure if my way of playing (combat-wise) is working as well. I wanted to do a stealth/magic character so I am working on that and right now I am using a fire spell and a dagger. It seems to work well when I get the jump on someone, but the dagger is a bit under-powered when going toe-to-toe. Do I carry a full sword as well for when I'm seen?

Mastadon

Banned
While I'm thinking about it, could someone help with a problem I had last night?

I'm level 12, and I wanted to upgrade my spells etc, so I went to the mage in Dragsonreach. He had some awesome new spells like Chain Lightning, but as I was buying them all up, I realised I hadn't equipped my +15 speechcraft amulet to get a better discount. I reloaded the save, but when I spoke to him all the cool new spells were gone. I've tried going in and out of the building, reloaded etc, but I can't get them to re-appear.

Any ideas?

Naeblish

Mechanized said:
Sneaking gets to be really op. Eventually you start one shotting things with bows, clearing out entire dungeons without getting into melee once.
Plus if you do get detected all you have to do is run a bit from the spot where you got seen, sneak, and eventually they'll stop tracking you.
It's kinda ridiculous and broken. Say if there are two enemies standing next to each other, if you sniped one without sneaking and he didn't die they'd both chase after you.
If you sneak and snipe and get a one hit kill his buddy will just be like. "Uh, what was that?" *Stands around oblivious that his friend was just killed*
Or, *walks around with an arrow in his head but gives up search after 4 seconds.

It's kinda silly, but i like the way it plays for now. What level are you and what difficulty are you playing on? Expert so far seems perfect. I'm planning to put 2 points in destruction to use the fire rune as a trap for the harder mobs i can't one shot.

Lach

nicoga3000 said:
Initially, I figured it was related to the cost. I think all skill books are 50g or more in terms of value. But I've received two quests from books so far, one from a book I can't remember, and one from a random 5g book I found on a shelf with others in a cave. As a result, I'm checking EVERY book (and stealing most of them to decorate my house's bookshelves).

Plus some of the books are really interesting. The commision report on the invasion of akavir, or some of the shortstories.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Mechanized said:
Sneaking gets to be really op. Eventually you start one shotting things with bows, clearing out entire dungeons without getting into melee once.
Plus if you do get detected all you have to do is run a bit from the spot where you got seen, sneak, and eventually they'll stop tracking you.
It's kinda ridiculous and broken. Say if there are two enemies standing next to each other, if you sniped one without sneaking and he didn't die they'd both chase after you.
If you sneak and snipe and get a one hit kill his buddy will just be like. "Uh, what was that?" *Stands around oblivious that his friend was just killed*

This is pretty much how I play the dungeons, it's so much fun to wander into a room you've cleared and admire the arrows sticking out of the back of bandits' heads. Or taking out all but one guy and then going for the backstab (then realising your one handed skill is 28 and you've barely hurt him and running like a bitch).

What I really want to try is enchanting a mayhem bow, firing off a sneak attack into one guy, sitting back and enjoying the carnage.

Only downside of going heavy into sneak is that it's zero help against the bosses and it seems daylight trumps any kind of sneak ability when it comes to fighting outside.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Oh sanguine..you just made my night..what an ending to a totally nonsensical borderline retarded quest. Entertaining.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lach said:
Plus some of the books are really interesting. The commision report on the invasion of akavir, or some of the shortstories.

Oh my God, yeah, I know! I really wish there was a transcript available of all the books so I could carry them around. Just awesome.

Ryan_

Is anyone else going for a kind of 'master' character, who's master in all guilds, did nearly all the quests and has all skills at level 100? That's what I'm going for but it's not easy since it requires a lot of balancing. I hope it works.

xuchu

Hi, just got this on PS3 and loving it. Can anyone give me any tips on how to use the favourites menu. The up and down buttons bring the menu up but the left and right buttons don't do anything for me. What am I doing wrong?

Raxus

KorrZ said:
Wow, my mage is an unstoppable beast right now :) Item Name spoils:
I'm rocking Morekei's Mask +100% Regen, Arch-Mage Robes, -15% to all spell casting, +50 magicka, +100% Regen, Thalmor Gloves, enchanted to give +60 Magicka, Savos Aren's Amulet +50 Magicka, and a ring of +40% regen as well as the +50% Regen perk from restoration.

TLDR: I have about 500 Magicka and +290% Magicka Regen and I haven't even got the dual enchants perk yet, that'll be fun :)
So the regen enchantments do stack. Good to know.

Sarcasm said:
Question about books. And guilds.

There is WAY too many books! DO I gain any benefit from opening them all? Or is it just ones that do increase skills? If so how do I tell which gives skill ups.

Also can you like join the companions and thieves guild both?

The ones that give skills generally have a value of 50 gold+.

Normal books are generally <10.

Edit: Too slow! Didn't know about books giving quests either, gah! Time to start reading everything again. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, my opinion on the game is slightly diminished after having maxed smithing. I guess it's my own fault. There's now no more gear for me to look forward to. I'm also kind of pissed that I can't craft Daedric Weapons even though I've maxed the tree (on the left side).

I guess I'll play with enchanting for the rest of the game.

Raxus

UltraMagnanimous said:
The ones that give skills generally have a value of 50 gold+.

Normal books are generally <10.
Any book 8-50 gives you something. A new map marker or a skill up (usually 50+).

So I just beat the first dragon, now I'm just doing some side quests.

How did you guys get enough money to buy a house? Just side quests?

Also, can you quick travel like in Oblivion?

ANNND, I'm using the ax you get after beating the first dragon, but whats the point in its soul orb power thing?

Unity2012

Mastadon said:
While I'm thinking about it, could someone help with a problem I had last night?

I'm level 12, and I wanted to upgrade my spells etc, so I went to the mage in Dragsonreach. He had some awesome new spells like Chain Lightning, but as I was buying them all up, I realised I hadn't equipped my +15 speechcraft amulet to get a better discount. I reloaded the save, but when I spoke to him all the cool new spells were gone. I've tried going in and out of the building, reloaded etc, but I can't get them to re-appear.

Any ideas?

Did you check your inventory to see if they were there? just curious... sometimes the Autosaves will keep them.

My second thought is that is due to the in-game radiant system that randomly create things to keep the game fresh.

Good luck.

Lach

nicoga3000 said:
Oh my God, yeah, I know! I really wish there was a transcript available of all the books so I could carry them around. Just awesome.

I'm actually trying to find a collection of the books from Morrowind and Oblivion. No Success so far.

Edit: @BlueNinja
Thanks for the link.

Ryan_

Blue Ninja said:
Any idea where (and when) I can find Ebony armor? The guy posting the screenshot of it was right, it looks awesome.

Is it better then daedric or dragon scale armor? I haven't touched the world of heavy armors yet.

Sarcasm

The books are interesting..but there is just tooooo many.

I mean how long would I have to sit here reading. I saw a book shelf with like 10 books..jeebus!

Seriously, is there a way to hide the number of hours I've played this game on Steam? I just spent an embarrassingly obscene amount of time playing this over the weekend and I'd rather not broadcast it to all my friends.

webrunner

HammerOfThor said:

ANNND, I'm using the ax you get after beating the first dragon, but whats the point in its soul orb power thing?

I'm not sure how my finacee keeps getting tonnes of money other than selling dragon bones. My character is.. more poor. She has a house now, and for some reason is allowed to take horses from one of the stables for free (but they dont stay with her)

IIRC, the axe has a frost damage bonus. "Proc" Weapons like this, need to be charged using filled soul gems to keep it going.

Derrick01

Banned
Sarcasm said:
Question about books. And guilds.

There is WAY too many books! DO I gain any benefit from opening them all? Or is it just ones that do increase skills? If so how do I tell which gives skill ups.

Also can you like join the companions and thieves guild both?

The easiest way I know of to tell beforehand what book is a skill book is the value of it. I've noticed skill books tend to be worth 50-60g when you look at them whereas most normal books are 1-20g, though in rare cases I've seen normal books that are 40+ too. But almost all the time a skill book will be the only ones that high.

Plus all you have to do is open the book and quickly close it and you'll get whatever quest or skill was in it.

Freak

OMFG !! Loving Skyrim its everything ive been waiting for. Im just thankful my wife & kids understand my addiction and is being very supportive in times like this :D

I only have one gripe, and thats with the favorites menu. What with all the cool weapons im using, my shouts, potions and spells and various arrow types, im finding this list getting increasingly large and unmanagable. having it listed alphabetically doesnt really help either. How are you folks finding this ?

Think im gonna crash soon as ive only managed to squeeze in 6 hours sleep since friday :D
Damn you bethesda !! ;)

Ryan_

HammerOfThor said:

Well, what I do is, I go into a dungeon and the minute my bags are full, I just quicktravel and sell everything, from fur armor to moonstones and everything else. I have now 20.000 gold and I already have my own home and horse.

The thing is, when you sell a lot, your speech goes up too so you start getting better prices. I can sell fur armor for 60 g a piece now and steel armor for 275. It's really worth it.

Oh and stealing and pickpocketing helps immensely too!

Can't wait to get home. Took Friday off for my birthday. I'm going to give myself the gift of Skyrim.

Mest30 said:
Is this game first person only or is there a third person mode?
There's third person. Click the right stick on 360 Gamepad. Not sure what PC Keyboard or PS3 is.

Mest30 said:
Is this game first person only or is there a third person mode?

There is a third person camera you can use but it is not ideal for combat. In my experience, the game plays much better in first person. I do go third person sometimes while wondering around the cities though.

Took the entire day on Friday as a day off to play. I killed 3 dragons (one of which disappeared on me when I fast traveled back to it).

I think I need to work on pickpocketing. Daddy really wants that Extra Pockets perk.

Spent 5 minutes walking alongside a Giant that was Herding Mammoths.
C8A93C0A1D1D7BD2E0FE1CEFA171D792E7251A51

Squill

Neo Member
Ugh I'm having problems with the the quest Diplomatic Immunity!
I can't get by the guards right after you leave the kitchen! I listen to them and let them go back to their watches, but even as I sneak in they still spot me even if they have their back turned to me. And they are too tough for me to kill. Womp womp.

HammerOfThor said:

Go for hunting, collect herbs and metals. Then make some jewelry and potions, sell them and start over. This way you actually grind some of those abilities, you will need in the future.

Back to school work and life today. Booooooooooooooo, game is awesome. Spent all day Saturday and Sunday playing it (nearing level 30 I think) and there's still so much left to do. I'm getting Saints Row 3 tomorrow but that's going to have to sit in the corner for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom