• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHIZ

Okay, I've got a question. I've bought the house in White Run, what the hell is this other bed in there, that says it's owned/cant sleep in, and then some Redguard dude lives there too? What the hell? Isn't this MY house? Can they, you know... leave?

kottila

I kinda liked the combat in DAII better, as this one is to frantic. a perfect game would have the four man teams in DA and that combat system in the Skyrim world.

I'm trying to be both a destruction mage and a two handed warrior at the same time, not sure if that combination is a good idea.

Shadybiz

I ran into a strange issue while playing yesterday. I have been dual wielding daggers, which had worked just fine. I had 2 steel daggers, put them as favorites, and just hit L1 and R1 to put one on each hand.

Yesterday, I made them into "Fine" Steel Daggers, and then everything went wrong. One of the daggers would "unfavorite" itself, and if I had assigned the daggers as the 1 or 2 weapon loadouts, the game would occasionally forget that I had it that way. Very strange, as it only happened using the "Fine" dagger. Has anyone else had this, and have you found a way to make it work better?

Ploid 3.0

kottila said:
I kinda liked the combat in DAII better, as this one is to frantic. a perfect game would have the four man teams in DA and that combat system in the Skyrim world.

I'm trying to be both a destruction mage and a two handed warrior at the same time, not sure if that combination is a good idea.

Sounds like Dark Knight class.

Is there any shop that specializes in archery equipment? I couldve sworn I found one in Markarth or Dawnstar but I cant for the life of me remember....

Naito

JumpingTheGun said:
Is there any shop that specializes in archery equipment? I couldve sworn I found one in Markarth or Dawnstar but I cant for the life of me remember....
There's one in Solitude, just next to the smith; name's Fletcher or something close to it.

zlatko

Banned
anddo0 said:
About the drinking contest: How do you
clean up your mess?

Few things on the floor. Any tipped over whine jugs, and there's a piece of paper on the floor too. Once you find all the stuff on the floor (should be 3 things), then the quest will advance automatically as the woman will talk to you.

Derrick01

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:

I'm pretty sure I found one in Solitude yesterday. Didn't really have any fancy bows but he had lots of different arrows to restock on.

I remember the owner being really cranky too. I want to say he was an elf but I don't remember.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is my fourth time I'm watching someone play Skyrim from scratch... God damn, Youtube!

anddo0 said:
"Let's have a friendly little drinking contest" WOW! So awesome!

I was mackin on
Lyrosa I think it is, but now she's pissed because of that drunken wedding. When this quest is over she better be sweet on me again.
>:/

Nocebo

jonno394 said:
Bit of advice needed guys.

I’m playing a level ten warrior. Mostly sneak attack with bow and then sword and shield combat. Rarely use magic. Struggle in combat against groups of enemies when one or more is magic attacking me so I want to improve some skills that would allow me to be more resistant to magic. Is there any you’d recommend or should I just exploit the crafting thing and the ability to make better armour?
I don't know if any skill might help in particular you generally just have to be smart about your preparations and tactics.
Try to score some magic resist potions or potions resisting specific elements. Other than that depending on the environment try to stay out of their range make smart use of cover, try to take them out with a bow while dodging the melee fighters or loop around as your run while the melee guys are following you and go for the kill on the mage. You can also try to take on the other guys first while staying out of magic range. In close quarters I tend to charge for the mage first and try to smash them asap.

Monocle

I'm getting my ass kicked as a level 20 mage (default difficulty). I've put four points into health and the rest into magicka. My perks are mainly spread across Destruction, Restoration, Conjuration, and Alteration. I wear a robe and no armor and I have the first mage armor perk to boost my defensive spells. My character is too weak. All sorts of enemies have been having their way with me, especially other mages and Dwemer automatons. I constantly run out of magicka even though I have a decent regen rate.

My usual strategy for a battle is to cast Stoneskin and summon a Flame Atronach, then hang back and snipe with Destruction spells. If it weren't for the perk that makes doublecasted spells stagger enemies, there's no way I'd have been able to get through the dungeons I recently cleared (like Mzulft, the Dwemer dungeon that's part of the College of Winterhold questline).

Is it a good idea to invest in Alchemy or Enchanting? I've barely managed to survive on the potions and equipment I've stolen or scrounged up during quests. Also, I'm still not doing great damage. The only weapons I carry as backup for when I run out of magicka are the Axe of Whiterun (17 dmg + 12 pts fire dmg) and an Elven Bow. Any suggestions?

owlbeak

Was attacked by a dragon in the mountains outside of Windhelm and I brought it down to about 1/4 life left. It landed, I pulled out my sword and started slashing at it's face after I shouted at it. It cut to third person slow mo cam and my guy jumped on the dragons head and just started fucking jamming his sword into it's head and it died.

I literally just sat there with my mouth open. One of the most badass things I've ever seen. :D Love this game!

Styles

So I have a problem, spoilering it just in case:

One of the quest asked me to retrieve a book in a dungeon but, it just so happened that I had cleared that particular area already and unknowingly picked up the book . I have the book in my inventory but unfortunately the quest line does not want to update and is still asking me to go and retrieve the book. I've tried dropping the book back into the chest but its' a quest item so that failed. :/
Is there a solution to this?

Oh the quest is from the guy who sells books in the Winterhold College if that helps.

owlbeak

kottila said:
Is my horse perma-dead? We fell of a cliff and it died while cushioning my landing. RIP Kvothes horse
My horse died and it was back at the stable I originally bought it from. So you may want to go back where you got it and see if he's standing around.

mil6es

ok just started playing last night, just pledged oath to stormcloaks, a few questions,

1.when can I obtain my own home
2.if I steal a horse how do I make it mine??

Nocebo

Monocle said:
I constantly run out of magicka even though I have a decent regen rate.
Why not use magicka/health potions? Maybe get into alchemy and put some more attribute points into health as you level up from gaining alchemy skill.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
jonno394 said:
Bit of advice needed guys.

I’m playing a level ten warrior. Mostly sneak attack with bow and then sword and shield combat. Rarely use magic. Struggle in combat against groups of enemies when one or more is magic attacking me so I want to improve some skills that would allow me to be more resistant to magic. Is there any you’d recommend or should I just exploit the crafting thing and the ability to make better armour?

Learn enchanting. I'm a bow and light armor user with a splash of conjuration. I posted this earlier in response to the 3x crit with bow perk. I don't use it...I use an enchanted bow with an atronach

"To be honest, I haven't found need for it. The reason being, you typically only have the chance to get 1-2 sneak shots off when you engage a group. Sure, with some magic and some really creative work, you can probably do something crafty. But like, There was a fort I found. I opened the main door, and there were 3 mages. I was able to sneak shot one, but by the time he was nearing death, the other 2 on the upper floor where there. Not so worth it anymore.

I've recently discovered the joy that is Frost Bow + atronach (sp?). Engage with sneak, pick them off until they are closer(frost enchant will really aid this), summon atronach, finish enemy off. If the enemy is non-humanoid, switch out the frost bow for a soul trap bow for the last hit or two. Trap souls, recharge said frost and soul trap bow, and continue on.

Since I've managed to get that rolling alongside my damage bonus gear, it's been relatively smooth sailing, even against the random Blood Dragon attack."

Mages CAN be a bitch, but enchanting and having a companion/summon will REALLY help take the heat off of you. I avoided it at first (I thought I was too good for a partner, haha), and it turns out this is primarily why I was having so many problems in the level 10-20 range. Even against a single Bandit Marauder or whatever, I was getting shit wrecked. Now Magse, Bears, Dragons, Sabre Cats, whatever - MUCH more manageable.

mil6es said:
ok just started playing last night, just pledged oath to stormcloaks, a few questions,

1. Whiterun main quest. Just progress with it and you should get the option shortly after
you agree to help kill the dragon

2. No idea.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MOTHER OF GOD... (this shouldn't be considered a spoilers since they already showed this in previews). This game is 10000000x better looking in motion! Plus imgur artifacts sucks ass!

I don't regret playing on PC at all. Instant quick-save, super quick navigation, perfection gameplay and mouse sensitivity-problem is fixed!

artla.png

Truant

Vect said:
So I have a problem, spoilering it just in case:

One of the quest asked me to retrieve a book in a dungeon but, it just so happened that I had cleared that particular area already and unknowingly picked up the book . I have the book in my inventory but unfortunately the quest line does not want to update and is still asking me to go and retrieve the book. I've tried dropping the book back into the chest but its' a quest item so that failed. :/
Is there a solution to this?

Oh the quest is from the guy who sells books in the Winterhold College if that helps.

Drop it on the ground where you originally picked it up, and pick it up again? Or just drop it wherever and pick it back up.

kottila

birdcity said:
My horse died and it was back at the stable I originally bought it from. So you may want to go back where you got it and see if he's standing around.

Have checked a couple of times and he hasn't been there. Maybe hes still fighting himself back from the afterlife.

Amir0x

Banned
jesus this boss battle is the worst ever for a hunter set up. And the door behind me is locked, so there's no way out without going many saves back. Hag's End boss is absurd for a hunter on hardest difficulty. It's a small area with no where to move with three extremely powerful enemies, one a magic type. Maybe I wasn't supposed to be here yet since I didn't get a mission to be here, but still. As soon as you open the door magic witch blasts me with a fireball that takes 1/3 of my health, even with resist potions on, and on top of that she has two Frost Trolls with her who take off two/thirds health with one hit. Even my companion gets taken down in seconds.

Nocebo

nicoga3000 said:
"To be honest, I haven't found need for it. The reason being, you typically only have the chance to get 1-2 sneak shots off when you engage a group. Sure, with some magic and some really creative work, you can probably do something crafty. But like, There was a fort I found. I opened the main door, and there were 3 mages. I was able to sneak shot one, but by the time he was nearing death, the other 2 on the upper floor where there. Not so worth it anymore.
You can also sneak shot one then sneak away into the shadows / around the corner, wait till they stop looking for you and then shoot one again, rinse repeat.

Styles

Truant said:
Drop it on the ground where you originally picked it up, and pick it up again? Or just drop it wherever and pick it back up.

I've tried that and it says that quest items cannot be dropped.

BadTaste

mil6es said:

1. You have to do a few quests for the Jarl/King/Queen whatever of a city before they let you buy a House, there's a house in Whiterun for 5000 gold.

2. No idea! D:

Naeblish

Ezahn said:
I'm having troubles with my Khajiit rogue-like.

Planned to use claws and bow, but the claws are like fixed damage and do not increase any ability if I use them. No good.

And sneaking around is feeling pretty useless atm (every bad sees me and then I'm in trouble ^^ "Hired Thugs" beat me in pulp).

I'm thinking of ditching the cat for a all-mage Breton.
But if someone has tips... I'll be glad to think abou saving the cat!

Should I level one handed? Sneaking? Any tips for silent assassins/claw using purrrrrrrrrs?
I don't know which level you are, but in the beginning sneak really sucks without any perks in it, you can't get by shit unless you walk in sneak mode which is extremely slow. If you want a stealth character, put your very first 2-3 points in sneak, and you are setlled for some time. I'm lvl 15 currently and could sneak by anything so far with just 1 point in stealth and 1 in Muffled Movement.

kottila said:
Is my horse perma-dead? We fell of a cliff and it died while cushioning my landing. RIP Kvothes horse

When your horse dies it's dead. You can go back to the stable you bought it from and buy one that looks just like it though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
MrOogieBoogie said:
What's the lowest you guys think we'll see this game for Black Friday/Christmas? Really hoping I can pick it up at $40 or less.

I'm talking PC/Steam version here!

mil6es

sorry completely forgot, everyone keeps telling me i'm diesesed but I have no idea with what or how to get rid of it!!! any help with that? isnt there a status page or somthing???

Acidote

I recorded a video of certain "event" that happens when you come back to
Whiterun after you kill the first dragon. The Greybeards calling Dovahkiin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDYjzw3gDsQ

So cool (Yes, I removed the HUD before recording it).

I really need an SSD drive, the framerate suffers too much.

MrOogieBoogie said:
I'm talking PC/Steam version here!

I don't even think they will lower the price yet. Maybe a 25% off for Christmas and that's it.

Well.. I did it. I realized this morning while working on my melee character that there was no other way. The graphics had to be turned down to medium. Heartbreaking as it was, sometimes you just have to admit that your 3 year old pc isn't the spring chicken it used to be. My fps is through the roof, but I feel dirty.

markot

Banned
I wish my horse wasnt so agressive >_<; I always end up chasing after him cause he charges at enemies, and he cost me 1000g!

Nocebo

mil6es said:
sorry completely forgot, everyone keeps telling me i'm diesesed but I have no idea with what or how to get rid of it!!! any help with that? isnt there a status page or somthing???
Go to the magic page and look for red text under the "active effects" section. Go to an alchemist or general trader and look for a cure disease potion, it cures diseases. You can also try to find a shrine/statue thing and use it.

Acidote said:
I recorded a video of certain "event" that happens when you come back to
Whiterun after you kill the first dragon. The Greybeards calling Dovahkiin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDYjzw3gDsQ

So cool (Yes, I removed the HUD before recording it).

I really need an SSD drive, the framerate suffers too much.

I don't even think they will lower the price yet. Maybe a 25% off for Christmas and that's it.

I use an IDE drive, don't complain.

markot

Banned
I also cant decide who to side with in the war, both sides seem to suck pretty bad >.>...

Do you have to pick a side eventually?

Naeblish said:
I don't know which level you are, but in the beginning sneak really sucks without any perks in it, you can't get by shit unless you walk in sneak mode which is extremely slow. If you want a stealth character, put your very first 2-3 points in sneak, and you are setlled for some time. I'm lvl 15 currently and could sneak by anything so far with just 1 point in stealth and 1 in Muffled Movement.

Sneaking gets to be really op. Eventually you start one shotting things with bows, clearing out entire dungeons without getting into melee once.
Plus if you do get detected all you have to do is run a bit from the spot where you got seen, sneak, and eventually they'll stop tracking you.
It's kinda ridiculous and broken. Say if there are two enemies standing next to each other, if you sniped one without sneaking and he didn't die they'd both chase after you.
If you sneak and snipe and get a one hit kill his buddy will just be like. "Uh, what was that?" *Stands around oblivious that his friend was just killed*

Sarcasm

Question about books. And guilds.

There is WAY too many books! DO I gain any benefit from opening them all? Or is it just ones that do increase skills? If so how do I tell which gives skill ups.

Also can you like join the companions and thieves guild both?

markot

Banned
Scan the name of the book, after awhile you can easily skim shelves to see if any might be interesting/potential skill ups.

Amir0x

Banned
Sarcasm said:

There is WAY too many books! DO I gain any benefit from opening them all? Or is it just ones that do increase skills? If so how do I tell which gives skill ups.

you can join all the guilds if you want

re: books

you can tell if a book is special generally because it'll have a unique cover, like an emblem on it. But there are certain books that give quests and those are harder to tell I've found...

Mastadon

Banned
Sarcasm said:

You can't tell really, just have to open them all. You can also get some awesome quests from books.

Yoshichan

Just open the book and close it. No need to go through it.

Dmax3901

I'm sure it has been discussed before but (pretty mad Solitude quest spoilers):
The Pelagius Wing/Sheogorath/Oblivion voice actor cameo was pretty awesome and unexpected. I had a feeling we'd hear some familiar voices but yeah, did not expect that.

Question: When are you able to buy a house in Solitude?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mastadon said:
You can't tell really, just have to open them all. You can also get some awesome quests from books.

Initially, I figured it was related to the cost. I think all skill books are 50g or more in terms of value. But I've received two quests from books so far, one from a book I can't remember, and one from a random 5g book I found on a shelf with others in a cave. As a result, I'm checking EVERY book (and stealing most of them to decorate my house's bookshelves).

DoctorWho said:
Man. I hate being at work. I want to be home playing Skyrim.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom