• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

D4Danger said:
VxhcO.png

The shit's chess, it ain't checkers

ha, she was my first encounter in this game and I'm still not sure what her point of existing is. I reloaded my save after coming up out of the basement and ran away before she could attack me, just in case she's important.

I came back, 15 in game and 2 real time days later and she's like "hey".

madmackem

Oh ffs, ive just got the texture problem, strange thing is im playing it off the disc. New gears 320gig 360 new dash beta game running off disc. Its fucking horrid and still there after i turned it off and turned it back on again arggghhhhhhh.

Derrick01

Banned
HTuran said:
Waitwaitwait, 30x? Tell me!

Well I have the perk in sneak I believe it is that gives you the 15x, then I'm also wearing the shrouded gloves (dark brotherhood gloves) that give your backstab double damage, so that doubles the 15. Get a nice dagger, I'm using skyforge steel from the companions for now, and you can roll most people if you can sneak up on them.

IMBored

Btw, why did Lydia got the best room in my house on whiterun?
Not the biggest but it has a door and two dressers, my "room" has a chest and that's it, no walls. It does have a double bed tought, maybe Lydia and I could shack up.

For you novice inexperinced players who are still stuck on getting past level 3, how are you finding the game so far ? I'm with you in that i'm not past level 3.

webrunner

IMBored said:
Not the biggest but it has a door and two dressers, my "room" has a chest and that's it, no walls. It does have a double bed tought, maybe Lydia and I could shack up.

If you upgrade your house, it adds a wall to the master bedroom.

HTuran

Derrick01 said:
Well I have the perk in sneak I believe it is that gives you the 15x, then I'm also wearing the shrouded gloves (dark brotherhood gloves) that give your backstab double damage, so that doubles the 15. Get a nice dagger, I'm using skyforge steel from the companions for now, and you can roll most people if you can sneak up on them.
Awesome! I'm currently at 15x with an Elven Dagger and it's already destroying people. I'll set off on the Dark Brotherhood questline tonight!

Arcipello

bizatch said:
In my misc quests I have one that tells me to go to Bleak Darrow Falls and find the owner of the golden claw. My OCD self decided that I need to finish all the quests, so I went there. Looks like I already killed the owner,
the guy who betrays you
, but the quest is still there. Im assuming its bugged, am I right? Playing the PC version btw.

shop owner in town is the owner... get the quest from him and give him the claw there and then:)

Takuan

Doctor_20 said:
Ice Troll rape on your way to greybeards? Thats normal.
I cheesed the Ice Troll so hard. Instead of following the path, I took the higher ground and basically scaled the mountain and high as was possible, so it was easy to spot him perched that ledge from a distance. Once he was aware of my presence, he could only hop about and grunt in frustration as I arrowed him to death. :lolgif

Is anyone having difficulty doing good damage as an archer? I'm level 16 and have primarily gone with Archery/Stealth, and One-Handed as a third role. The idea was to be a dual-wielding thief who initiates with bow and, if necessary, finishes with melee woopage. Frankly, I'm beginning to have a hard time with it because even with the archer/backstab sneak attack perks I can't seem to put down enemies without having to rely on my tanky companion, Lydia. I did a 6x damage sneak attack with a decent enchanted axe and only took maybe a quarter of life from one of Arginoth's mercenaries.

I should probably be using/crafting poisons, but I haven't even bothered exploring that aspect of the game. Too busy exploring dungeons/slaying dragons to be bothered.

LeadGandalf said:
Dwarven armor ftw
That looks cool, but could they not have gone with a more varied palette? Or are there dyes in this game that I'm not yet aware of? Your character looks like a statue in that picture, albeit a really cool-looking statue.

Almost makes me wish I hadn't gone the light armored route, but I've got my Eddard Stark character for that.

Oh, since people are talking about the Dark Brotherhood, do I have to do Thieve's Guild quests to initiate the Dark Brotherhood line of quests? I just joined and find the entire lot of them distasteful. I'd much rather kill them all than do their quests, to be honest.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah Dwarven Armor architecture reminds me of Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls... :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Holy fuck! I paid a homeless guy $1... And 10 minutes later
im in a guys mind, using a staff that I keep afterwards called wabbajack... Looks powerful

IMBored

webrunner said:
If you upgrade your house, it adds a wall to the master bedroom.

You saved our village, I'll give you a title and a bodyguard. If you want a house you'll have to buy it. If you want the house not to suck you have to pay extra. A nordic welcome. At least they have mead and wenches.

Dyno

My female high elf looks amazing! It is a great character generation system. She is two-fisting destruction magic and having a good time of it.

bengraven

IMBored said:

You can't sleep in there, even if you have no companion. It's still considered "owned", I believe.

herzogzwei1989 said:
For you novice inexperinced players who are still stuck on getting past level 3, how are you finding the game so far ? I'm with you in that i'm not past level 3.

I'm enjoying wasting hours just walking around. The investigation into the upturned Cabbage Cart continues.

TheExodu5

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Ok, the thing is, I'm an assassin mage, so I'm going to need just one really good dagger and nothing else. Is it entirely necessary to grab so many perks just to craft that dagger or will I be able to find one just as good?

Well, if it's just for daggers, then I'd say don't worry about it. 30x backstab should be good enough to kill anything, even with a less upgraded dagger.

syllogism

TheExodu5 said:
You need the perks, otherwise you'll just be able to make exquisite (or Flawless with a blacksmith potion). With +smithing gear, +alchemy, and smithing potions, you can boost it up to legendary though, I think. One thing confuses me though...from a theorycrafting post, it seemed as if you could boost blacksmithing to an insane amount with enchanting/alchemy, up to the point where your augmentations are far better than legendary...I'm not sure if that's true or not. I really hope legendary is the cap, otherwise this is going to get silly.
There is no cap other than the practical limit where enchanting + alchemy can take you

ToD_

DoctorWho said:
Holy fuck. That's scary as shit. Lydia was secretly in love with you and her dead body trolled your wedding.
Haha, that's what my first thoughts were. The ceremony "quest" failed, everyone hates me, and there is Lydia on the floor - dead as she has been. Mission accomplished, Lydia.. mission accomplished.

TheExodu5

Banned
syllogism said:
There is no cap other than the practical limit where enchanting + alchemy can take you

That's quite ridiculous, then. Apparently you can make a sword that does thousands of damage. :|

1) Enchant gear that boosts alchemy
2) Make potions that boost enchanting
3) Repeat x3
4) Enchant gear that boosts weaponry
5) Enchant gear that boosts smithing
6) Make the strongest blacksmith potion possible
7) Augment ridiculously strong gear

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As a caster, I'm incredibly disappointed with the perks... I've got 6 spare perks and there's nothing that interests me :(

Salaadin

Shield is awesome. I started the game wanting to be a damage dealing badass but now I find myself just dumping points into Block because its so cool. I love when a wolf runs up to me and I just smack him in face with my shield and kill it in one hit.

Elemental damage being halved when blocking is so useful. So is the slowdown perk that allows me to dodge like crazy. The best perks come from shield bash though..especially power bash.
I used to have to run from mages and try to pick them off from a distance but now I put my shield up, smack them in face to interrupt their spell casting, and the rest is easy.

I wonder how good the "knock down enemies if you run into them while blocking" perk is. I imagine myself sprinting into a large group and knocking them on their asses. Please tell me this is possible.

dantehemi

Stupid question, but this is driving me nuts.. How do I get out of wolf skull cave when I have completed the mission... It seems you fall through a hole to get down, but you can not seem to get back up it to exit.

Yoshichan

TheExodu5 said:
There are what, 5 schools of magic? I'm sure you can find something.
Yeah I'm 100% destruction with restoration... I don't really find the need to spend time and hotkeys on a new school (Illusion or w/e) when I destroy everything with fireball, ice and electricity anwyay... :/

Derrick01

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Holy fuck! I paid a homeless guy $1... And 10 minutes later
im in a guys mind, using a staff that I keep afterwards called wabbajack... Looks powerful

That was a pretty fun quest. Nice little cameo appearance too from a series favorite.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TheExodu5 said:
That's quite ridiculous, then. Apparently you can make a sword that does thousands of damage. :|

1) Enchant gear that boosts alchemy
2) Make potions that boost enchanting
3) Repeat x3
4) Enchant gear that boosts weaponry
5) Enchant gear that boosts smithing
6) Make the strongest blacksmith potion possible
7) Augment ridiculously strong gear

Yeah, you can severely exploit the enchanting system. They should have probably put a cap of what sort of +% you can get on crafting skills, but whatever. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Yeah I'm 100% destruction with restoration... I don't really find the need to spend time and hotkeys on a new school (Illusion or w/e) when I destroy everything with fireball, ice and electricity anwyay... :/

Well, then level enchanting, alchemy, or pickpocketing/sneak.

madmackem

So anyone any idea on how to sort out my texture issue. Should i clear cache, seems strange ive just got this issue and im running it off disc.

Yoshichan

TheExodu5 said:
Well, then level enchanting, alchemy, or pickpocketing/sneak.
Yeah I mean I could always dump perks into random stuff... but they really won't affect me in any way, shape or form. They're boring stuff like "increases the potency of potions" for alchemy, instead of being like "Put a perk here and you'll be able to make fucking bombs out of potions!" :( Same with sneak and pickpocket... boring perk-rewards :/

ElyrionX

The loot in this game is truly terrible.

So, I'm in this dungeon (one of the early main quests one) and I spot a weird shape to the side of a dark wall. Seems like any other wall but if you check the map, it shows a path leading to somewhere. I poke around and find the switch for it and the wall moves aside and reveals a path downwards. I walk down this semi-long winding path and come to see a treasure chest at the end of it. Sweet. I open it and what do I find?

A crappy dwarven armour with some other crappy stuff that I can't even remember. Sure, dwarven armour aren't exactly common in my game yet (I'm level 14) but still. Not even one enchanted item?

thefil

Want to hop in to make the same recommendation I made for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Play this game with quest markers and the compass turned OFF. There is a huge difference in the feeling you get cresting a cliff and seeing a shipwreck that your compass said was there, versus cresting a cliff and just seeing it marooned off the coast. The sense of adventure increases significantly.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
My highlight from yesterday was a random killing spree (I'm normally quite nice on a first playthrough). Crossed paths with a small party on their way to a wedding. This stuck up woman called us "Skyrim trash" so it was time to let her know what's up. As they kept walking, I shot her in the back of the head with an arrow. She had a fair attempt at trying to run given her injury so I quickly bashed her husband and gave chase to finish the job. As I walked back to Lydia who'd taken out the bodyguard, the husband sprung back into action and ran towards me. Shot him with an arrow which went straight into his chest, right where the heart is. He gasped as he keeled over clutching it.

Who's the trash now, lying in the road with no clothes?

Yoshichan

ElyrionX said:
The loot in this game is truly terrible.

So, I'm in this dungeon (one of the early main quests one) and I spot a weird shape to the side of a dark wall. Seems like any other wall but if you check the map, it shows a path leading to somewhere. I poke around and find the switch for it and the wall moves aside and reveals a path downwards. I walk down this semi-long winding path and come to see a treasure chest at the end of it. Sweet. I open it and what do I find?

A crappy dwarven armour with some other crappy stuff that I can't even remember. Sure, dwarven armour aren't exactly common in my game yet (I'm level 14) but still. Not even one enchanted item?
This is the art of Skyrim. You don't necessarily get a good, scripted item from doing a dungeon - sometimes you just have to be happy with the money and loot you get. I'd dislike it if you always got enchanted gear every dungeon you enter.

Keep playing. Some dungeon loot = FUCKING AMAZING. And the satisfaction of finding them? Oh soooo good.

ElyrionX

Yoshichan said:
This is the art of Skyrim. You don't necessarily get a good, scripted item from doing a dungeon - sometimes you just have to be happy with the money and loot you get. I'd dislike it if you always got enchanted gear every dungeon you enter.

Keep playing. Some dungeon loot = FUCKING AMAZING. And the satisfaction of finding them? Oh soooo good.

Yeah but like I said many pages back, the game would be so much better if it had better loot. I'm not asking for Diablo levels of insanity here but perhaps something like Baldur's Gate 2?

Leunam

ElyrionX said:
Anyone using the official strategy guide here? I'm thinking of picking it up since the Wikis are all so sparse right now.

Bought it when I picked up the game. Only used it once to browse perks but from what I've read it's pretty thorough. Comes with a full color world map also. I may use it more for a second play through.

Arcipello said:
there are more Claw quests??? ive done the Golden claw at the start of the game...im assuming you are not talking about that.

So far there are 3 that I know about. Golden, Sapphire, and Ruby. There could be more, but I am not sure.

ksimm

I had to lol at Lydia yesterday whilst fighting a mage in Labyrinthian, she got her arse kicked and shouted 'not like this', thinking someone in the real world unplugged her from the Matrix. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom