• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Joined the Thieves Guild last night, and completed the first quest this morning. It was good - multi-part, optional objectives, some good story going on. Took me quite a while to explore and loot the place fully, while avoiding the guards.

I kept wanting to sneak up on them and knock them out, Deux Ex style. :lol

Naturally my first side quest from it is to steal something....in Solitude. Where I just came from. Planning to do a dungeon on the way over, dump the loot in Solitude, snag my target, loot a shop, then hoof it back to Riften and dump that loot. (Stil not fast traveling.)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Leunam said:
If you're sick most NPCs will comment on how sickly you look.

Oooooooohh ok this makes sense. Someone said that to me, but some mage did an experiment on me and turned me green, so I thought it was from that. lololololo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hyunkel6 said:
I'm early in the game, but the mage in the Jarl's castle in Whiterun has a nice arsenal.
Awesome, thank you. Didn't even check him.

thefil

zethren said:
Also, found a skeleton hand poking out of the ground around Whiterun. In it's hand was a simple steel sword. It was interesting, but does this sword have any tangible importance? My girlfriend is preventing me from dropping/selling it because of the nature of how I found it. Haha.

It was an Orcish sword when I found it, so I'm guessing no. The game won't let you sell quest items though, so don't worry.

webrunner

thetrin said:
Agree 110%. Elder Scrolls is a far more enjoyable world than Fallout.

If they can get the writing/characters of New Vegas in a new Elder Scrolls..

or how about this, give Fallout 4 to Obsidian on the Creation Engine. There, done.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zefah said:
I'm definitely going to try playing as a magic user or stealthy thief type during my next game. My only question is, are such paths actually viable? It seems like most enemies just charge you or try to snipe you with arrows. I don't imagine I'd last very long as a thief or mage if I got charged, but I haven't leveled up any skills in those paths.
If anything, being a sniper makes this game absurdly easy because you can kite with the Power Shot perk, or just hide behind some unpathable terrain, letting collision detection be your shield.

Have you fought any of the dragon priests yet? I have a hard time even with every dirty trick I can think of.

I thought New Vegas had much better writing than Skyrim, which I have heard described as "Dragon Age meets Lord of the Rings meets Game of Thrones". But yeah the world of Skyrim is a vast improvement over the featureless desert of NV.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GhostRidah said:
Anyone know how many shouts are in the game? I have about 5 at level 18
I also have 5 with one at two words.

Kyne' Peace at level 2 is fucking baller.

Omegasquash said:
So here's a question...anyone having issues with the Stormcloaks? I found my way into one of their camps, so I figured "Hey, these guys can't be bad! Ralof was pretty cool!" I then made my way to their commander at the camp, and he started a rant.

This was where I started to doubt my want to join either side, because if you were to replace the word "Elf" with the word "Jew" it would have been near textbook Nazi propaganda, which is frightening. The ONLY thing that's stopping me from going back and killing the commander in his sleep is the fact that I don't know if I'll need him for a quest later on. If it's not a necessary quest though, I think Imma just kill him.

Edit: spoiler'd, just in case.
The elves beat the empire into submission and have forbidden the worship of their most holy god. It's kind of a big deal.

That's what happens when you have a conflict grounded in racial conflict. Go talk to a Thalmor Justiciar and it'll change your mind right quick. "Was I born here? Could such a fine specimen of an Altmer come from such a filthy place? No. I was not born here."

scy

Zefah said:
I'm definitely going to try playing as a magic user or stealthy thief type during my next game. My only question is, are such paths actually viable? It seems like most enemies just charge you or try to snipe you with arrows. I don't imagine I'd last very long as a thief or mage if I got charged, but I haven't leveled up any skills in those paths. I'm currently playing a dual-wielding heavy armor-using character and at level 21, I just beat the hell out of everything even on the highest difficulty. Even giants are nothing as long as I take them on one at a time.

If the pure mage/pure thief paths are viable, I think they would be a lot more interesting/challenging.

My first character (up to around Level 35-ish) is purely a Thief. Sneaking allows for basically one-shotting most enemies with the 30x (Perk + Double damage enchant bonus) Sneak Attack from melee; from ranged, it's merely pelting an unsuspecting target and then hiding in the shadows until they reset (or just hitting them as they run around aimlessly trying to find you).

Bigger enemies is basically just an extended kiting session. Nothing too hard, just tiresome to do it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
thefil said:
It was an Orcish sword when I found it, so I'm guessing no. The game won't let you sell quest items though, so don't worry.

Wait, so visible hand-placed world items can scale in Skyrim then? That's very interesting.

Haly

cuevas said:
How do I get rid of my custom marker?
Click an empty space on the map.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Red Eagle's Fury sword? It's useless for a character like mine and I can't store it. It just takes up space that could've been used for more jewelry/materials.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Halycon said:
If anything, being a sniper makes this game absurdly easy because you can kite with the Power Shot perk, or just hide behind some unpathable terrain, letting collision detection be your shield.

Have you fought any of the dragon priests yet? I have a hard time even with every dirty trick I can think of.

I thought New Vegas had much better writing than Skyrim, which I have heard described as "Dragon Age meets Lord of the Rings meets Game of Thrones". But yeah the world of Skyrim is a vast improvement over the featureless desert of NV.

The Dragon priests? Are they the badass mages that appear at the bottom of dungeons sometimes? They do sick damage, but I find that a powered-up Unrelenting Force shout is all I need to get in close and take all of their HP in a few dual-wield flurries.

thefil

Some of the fights in this game are fantastic.

Having a dragon chase me into a three-way fight with mammoths and giants.

Trying to project some Companions from Ice Wraiths only to accidentally burn them alive, have them attack me to the point where I had to leave them frozen solid.

Running into my first Bandit Pillager who one-shot my Flame Atronach, ate all my mana and then left me with no recourse but to sprint towards the exit of a cave and jump down a waterfall.

And the best: hearing "everyone inside!" in Winterhold, turning around around and seeing a Dragon staring me right in the eye.

webrunner

Dave Inc. said:
The elves beat the empire into submission and have forbidden the worship of their most holy god. It's kind of a big deal.

That's what happens when you have a conflict grounded in racial conflict. Go talk to a Thalmor Justiciar and it'll change your mind right quick. "Was I born here? Could such a fine specimen of an Altmer come from such a filthy place? No. I was not born here."

It's too bad you can't go all Yes Man and take over yourself.

YOU, stop being racist bigots.

YOU, stop being religious bigots.

THERE SKYRIM FIXED I'M GONNA GO KILL DRAGONS

Haly

Zefah said:
The Dragon priests? Are they the badass mages that appear at the bottom of dungeons sometimes? They do sick damage, but I find that a powered-up Unrelenting Force shout is all I need to get in close and take all of their HP in a few dual-wield flurries.
They drop a mask when you kill them. There are 9 in all I think, and they hang around the Word Walls.

I haven't found one underneath a dungeon yet, they were always above ground. (I've only found two, Krosis and Valsung)

EviLore said:
Wait, so visible hand-placed world items can scale in Skyrim then? That's very interesting.
Was playing at the same time with my brother and cousin all weekend and all three of us get different weapons/armors while doing the same main quests. It seems hand-placed world items and items in chests are randomly placed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have done little else but play this game since Friday morning... it is so awesome.

EteRnal_PAL said:
Was playing at the same time with my brother and cousin all weekend and all three of us get different weapons/armors while doing the same main quests. It seems hand-placed world items and items in chests are randomly placed.

Yes, almost everything scales. I've noticed it playing through sections with different characters.

webrunner said:
It's too bad you can't go all Yes Man and take over yourself.

YOU, stop being racist bigots.

YOU, stop being religious bigots.

THERE SKYRIM FIXED I'M GONNA GO KILL DRAGONS
Forget fixing it. Fuck all Elves.

I found the resting place of the last Blade. It was surprisingly emotionally powerful and firmly put me in the Stormcloak camp.

Dovahkiin gonna rise up and put 'dem elves in their place.

Make female character > Join Companions > Become member of The Circle > Marry Aela.
Lesbian Werewolves! (...that'd make a great band name)

EteRnal_PAL said:

Wow. Lame as fuck. What's the point of exploring anything?

ckohler

Dave Inc. said:
Forget fixing it. Fuck all Elves.

I found the resting place of the last Blade. It was surprisingly emotionally powerful and firmly put me in the Stormcloak camp.

Dovahkiin gonna rise up and put 'dem elves in their place.
Buh-buh-but... I'M AN ELF. :/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, hand-placed world items not actually being fixed items is a first for the series. No way to notice that that's the case over a single playthrough without talking to other people about it, or loading an older save and coming back later.

Evolved1

Confidence Man said:
Wow. Lame as fuck. What's the point of exploring anything?

It's not as bad as Oblivion, but loot scaling is still here. At least it's not as obnoxious this time. Seems it works somewhat like enemy scaling, in that it falls w.in a range of your current level.

It's funny though, how if you find a pretty good item suddenly all the shops are carrying it. lol. :(

mkenyon

Banned
Played like 15 hours so far, only been to Whiterun and Winterhold as far as cities go. I want to buy a house ASAP since I'm getting to the point where I need to store stuff, and I just don't like the idea of keeping it at the College.

So, any of the towns that I have yet to visit as lively/nice as Whiterun? Place seems right for making a home, but I just havent been able to pull myself away from quests long enough to go look.

Dipindots said:
I have a quick question. So I don't own a house in White Run yet... and I can't find lydia! I've tried waiting until she gets bored and leaves but I can't find her anywhere. Do you guys know where to find her?

If you had her following you, she's probably dead if you can't find her. If she wasn't following you or was removed as your current companion due to a quest she's probably either in the Castle in Whiterun, the bar, or wandering around town.

Wallach

EteRnal_PAL said:

He's talking specifically about items in the world you can see. Things that are in containers or chests are randomized usually with your level playing a factor (and have been since Morrowind).

I haven't seen the sword they are talking about, but given that it is just a random world doodad it wouldn't surprise me if that is slightly randomized since it likely has no other purpose in the environment.

djplaeskool said:
Make female character > Join Companions > Become member of The Circle > Marry Aela.
Lesbian Werewolves! (...that'd make a great band name)

It's funny, I made my character after my wife (did the same thing in Oblivion and she liked that I made an evil B-word). She asked, specifically, when I told her that characters can get married and I found her a potential husband..."Do you have to marry a man?"

So yes, this. I think that'll make her day.

Derrick01

Banned
mkenyon said:
Played like 15 hours so far, only been to Whiterun and Winterhold as far as cities go. I want to buy a house ASAP since I'm getting to the point where I need to store stuff, and I just don't like the idea of keeping it at the College.

So, any of the towns that I have yet to visit as lively/nice as Whiterun? Place seems right for making a home, but I just havent been able to pull myself away from quests long enough to go look.

I haven't been to Dawnstar yet but Solitude was pretty packed with people. Ask my framerate :(

EviLore said:
Yeah, hand-placed world items not actually being fixed items is a first for the series. No way to notice that that's the case over a single playthrough without talking to other people about it, or loading an older save and coming back later.

Well when every weapon or armor piece that's lying around just happens to be the same stuff you're finding on enemies it's going to become pretty obvious.

Evolved1

Confidence Man said:
If it's all scaled to you then it's no better than what you can buy at a merchant.

This is not true. You will generally find stuff better than what the merchants carry... but once you have, say, an elven armor piece, suddenly merchants will start having pieces of elven gear.

It's still worth exploring...

H3xum

ckohler said:
Is there an "apologize" gesture in case you accidently hit someone? In Oblivion for 360 it was both shoulder buttons.

All you can do is try to get them to yield by sheathing your weapons

SteveWD40

Right, so MQ:

Level 7 DW fighter type in light armour, running up the hill to see the Greybeards and I get merked by a Frost Troll, so badly I even lowered the difficultly but no dice, he takes my health out in about 2 4 hits and I am out of potions...

Am I supposed to just run away? Seems scripted as he jumped off a cliff to get at me.

Aurora

Disappointing to hear that the loot is shit in Skyrim. I wish they'd done something more along the lines of Sacred II, which in my opinion had an amazing loot system.

Haly

SteveWD40 said:
Level 7 DW fighter type in light armour, running up the hill to see the Greybeards and I get merked by a Frost Troll, so badly I even lowered the difficultly but no dice, he takes my health out in about 2 4 hits and I am out of potions...

Am I supposed to just run away? Seems scripted as he jumped off a cliff to get at me.
Not scripted, AI tends to do that. Trolls are really strong so your best course of action is probably to just run.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Evolved1 said:
It's not as bad as Oblivion, but loot scaling is still here. At least it's not as obnoxious this time. Seems it works somewhat like enemy scaling, in that it falls w.in a range of your current level.

It's funny though, how if you find a pretty good item suddenly all the shops are carrying it. lol. :(

I think the loot scaling is just as bad as in Oblivion, personally, but it's just less ridiculous since enemy equipment doesn't scale this time, so you don't have random bandits in full Daedric.

Loot availability is still restricted by your level since you have to be a certain level before you can start finding certain types of armor, or those types of armor/crafting ingredients become available at merchants.

It's a lame system. Just like in Oblivion, I loved exploring every nook and cranny and looting everything for the first 20 hours or so, but after you realize how pointless it is (unless you just want to sell stuff), it gets a bit boring. I still love the game, but I think their loot system needs a lot of work.

mbmonk

In terms of storage:

1) Where is a safe place to put my items until I buy a house.
2) Rough estimate of the cost for cheap house in Whiterun?

I had to pickup up some heavy items and I dropped about 6 things and an NPC gave me hard time about littering. I enjoyed the comment and proceeded to litter regardless.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Confidence Man said:
Well when every weapon or armor piece that's lying around just happens to be the same stuff you're finding on enemies it's going to become pretty obvious.

Yeah, it's true that my perception was colored by knowledge of the mechanics of the previous games. I definitely did not encounter any high level visible equipment even in high level range dungeons until my character level reached the appropriate threshold.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Zefah said:
I'm definitely going to try playing as a magic user or stealthy thief type during my next game. My only question is, are such paths actually viable? It seems like most enemies just charge you or try to snipe you with arrows. I don't imagine I'd last very long as a thief or mage if I got charged, but I haven't leveled up any skills in those paths. I'm currently playing a dual-wielding heavy armor-using character and at level 21, I just beat the hell out of everything even on the highest difficulty. Even giants are nothing as long as I take them on one at a time.

If the pure mage/pure thief paths are viable, I think they would be a lot more interesting/challenging.

I'm largely Conjurer focused. It's very fun, but incredibly tiresome. I'm soft as shit and to rectify that I have to cast a bunch of shit. It's too much to do with the current system so i just don't do it and try to fly off the seat of my pants. It's worked thus far up to lvl 16 but i haven't had any big test other than those charous ceatures in the dwarf ruins. Those things would two shot me or faster if I let the poison run. Fortunately I had a big time lightning staff from the quest just before that one that could vaporize most anything in less than 6 shots. The best part, I'm a perked out conjurer so every kill I make with my bound weapons fills up gems that i can use to recharge that weapon (I can get maybe 10 shots per full charge). As long as i kill the expendables with my bound weapons I can crack out the staff and really fuck hard shit up if i need to. I'm starting to see why people love this game so much. Sometimes you gotta be tricky or set yourself up well to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom