• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dave Inc. said:
Uh, nice job making a verifiably bullshit claim. I've been smithing here and there to make stuff for myself, upgrade items, try out weapons, make shit for my companion and I'm a little over 50 in the skill, with my #1, #2, and #3 skills at about 65, 60 and 55.

I admit I've made a few bracers but only in situations where I was one or two skill points short of a level or something.

I can tell you you need to craft 70 items to make it from 75 skill to 83 skill. We're talking about a few hundred items to go from Glass equipment to Dragon. Don't try to pretend you don't need to grind for that. There's no way you'll find a use for 300+ pieces of equipment.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
oh shit I got jumped by a ninja :O

they had a note that said the contract on my head was already paid and failure was not an option

I don't know who Astrid is but he wants me dead apparently

thefil

So far it doesn't seem like people are complaining about the removal of attributes or that certain builds are unviable at high levels?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've made about 100 leather bracers (among other stuff) and I'm at 70.

I'm glad it's so easy to grind smithing but it does feel very silly.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I have no idea where Lydia has gone. For awhile, she's with me, and then she just disappeared.

I worry that she succumbed to Bear-itis.

webrunner said:
I wonder how that works, in the world. Does it make your character find a secret compartment for the chest, or is it a magical shrodinger power?

I think when you open big chests theres a much higher chance of an epic scale item being in there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dave Inc. said:
How about you do this:

Oh cool, I can make new armor? I'll go do that. Neat, I got a ring that increases my smithing skill, I'll go upgrade my stuff! If you do that you'll end up in level appropriate gear without breaking the scaling.

Bethesda games have always been easy to break if the player chose to do so.

Creating a new set of armor will level up your smithing by like two points. Upgrading a full set of armor once won't even give you one point. So unless you have one set of armor for each day of the year custom enchanted with different effects to suit your mood, you will never get your smithing anywhere without grinding it out. Grinding it out is a prerequisite. And by grinding it out you can get to 100 skill without any effort within the first few hours of the game, because of the infinite ingots the vendors stock and how skill-ups from crafting low tier armor don't trivial out as your smithing skill increases.

If the dragon materials weren't available in unlimited quantity and handed to you for free from the very beginning of the game it wouldn't be as bad, since you'd have to wait at least for the vendors to "unlock" the better ingots via your character level, but that's not the case. Probably the most transparently and egregiously broken mechanic in Skyrim, since everyone will notice that they can and should do it just by looking at the smithing perks and how their skill ups are working.

Dave Inc. said:
Uh, nice job making a verifiably bullshit claim. I've been smithing here and there to make stuff for myself, upgrade items, try out weapons, make shit for my companion and I'm a little over 50 in the skill, with my #1, #2, and #3 skills at about 65, 60 and 55.

I admit I've made a few bracers but only in situations where I was one or two skill points short of a level or something.
I find all of the items I need. Most of the stuff armor I switch around between comes from the guild quests (DB, Thieves, Mage, etc). Crafting anything better takes like level 80 smithing, so I've just been leveling it by buying a shitton of leather and iron ingots and crafting a bunch of iron daggers. Even WoW had much better leveling dynamics for tradeskills. At least there an iron dagger would lose its effectiveness is raising your skill level and you'd feel motivated to make better things. Granted, I'm not very high yet, but I should not be able to make significant leveling progress with iron daggers when I can be making dwarven armor.

syllogism

TheExodu5 said:
I can tell you you need to craft 70 items to make it from 75 skill to 83 skill. We're talking about a few hundred items to go from Glass equipment to Dragon. Don't try to pretend you don't need to grind for that. There's no way you'll find a use for 300+ pieces of equipment.
To be fair, there are trainers for that

webrunner

TheExodu5 said:

- Arrange a careful stack on the floor of your house.
- Use them as breadcrumbs to find your way in a dungeon
- try to build a wall out of them to block NPC vision
- get every companion and give them the items
- throw them over a waterfall
- dragonshout them into enemies

Plasmid

Will be getting this today (360), any tips on what I Should do first?

Always loved Fallout, hated oblivion.

RECCOMENDATIONS TES-GAF!

TheExodu5 said:
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought the goal-post was over here. I didn't realize you moved it way the fuck over there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why spend 500-700 on training when you can just buy all the leather from NPCs and then grind bracers?

xxczx

zlatko said:
How long does it take for shops to resupply?

I'm trying to quick level some smithing making iron daggers, and have tons of cash to buy iron ingots/ores from shop keeps in White-run, but the two I buy from generally have like 18ish at best. Not sure how long to wait before they get them 18 back to speed up the process.
I think it's about two days.

Btw, the man at the Skyforge will sell Iron Ingots, I usually buy from the woman and man at the Blacksmith and run up there to buy some more.
Lonestar said:
I have no idea where Lydia has gone. For awhile, she's with me, and then she just disappeared.

I worry that she succumbed to Bear-itis.
When I told her to wait in some dungeon and forgot all about her, she appeared in my house in Whiterun. Bitch moved herself in.

D4Danger said:
oh shit I got jumped by a ninja :O

they had a note that said the contract on my head was already paid and failure was not an option

I don't know who Adris is but he wants me dead apparently

Speaking of which, I waited until midnight at the blacksmith in the first town and stole all his stuff when no one was looking. Yet I still had mercenaries come after me with a contract on them by the blacksmith for stealing.

How does he know?

TheExodu5

Banned
EviLore said:
Creating a new set of armor will level up your smithing by like two points. Upgrading a full set of armor once won't even give you one point. So unless you have one set of armor for each day of the year custom enchanted with different effects to suit your mood, you will never get your smithing anywhere without grinding it out. Grinding it out is a prerequisite. And by grinding it out you can get to 100 skill without any effort within the first few hours of the game, because of the infinite ingots the vendors stock and how skill-ups from crafting low tier armor don't trivial out as your smithing skill increases.

If the dragonscale materials weren't available in unlimited quantity and handed to you for free from the very beginning of the game it wouldn't be as bad, since you'd have to wait at least for the vendors to "unlock" the better ingots via your character level, but that's not the case. Probably the most transparently and egregiously broken mechanic in Skyrim, since everyone will notice that they can and should do it just by looking at the smithing perks and how their skill ups are working.

That was, I feel, one of the main issues with smithing. I could either spend 1000 gold to make glass armor and receive 1/10 of a skill up, or spend 20 to make a leather bracer and get the exact same amount of skill up.

syllogism said:
To be fair, there are trainers for that

Oh, there are, but I rather pay 200 gold in leather for a skill up rather than 3000 gold to a trainer.

TheExodu5 said:
That was, I feel, one of the main issues with smithing. I could either spend 1000 gold to make glass armor and receive 1/10 of a skill up, or spend 20 to make a leather bracer and get the exact same amount of skill up.
No qualms there. More difficult pieces should grant more progress.

webrunner

Plasmid said:
Will be getting this today (360), any tips on what I Should do first?

Always loved Fallout, hated oblivion.

RECCOMENDATIONS TES-GAF!

You could try the main quest. I dont think anyone's ever stayed on the main quest in an Elder Scroll's game. It's like fucking tootsie pops in here.

My fiancee said that was her plan. Her last story quest was going up the mountain the first time and she joined the companions and the theives guild, and in the way to do a quest for them, accidentally woke up in Markarth.

Personally I just did a few quests then went west. What's a Forsworn? I have no idea but they die like anything else and have aquaducts.

koshunter said:
Speaking of which, I waited until midnight at the blacksmith in the first town and stole all his stuff when no one was looking. Yet I still had mercenaries come after me with a contract on them by the blacksmith for stealing.

How does he know?

I think it's supposed to simulate them later going.. "Wait, where'd all my stuff go. I was wondering why that guy was rummaging around in the back room.."

EviLore said:
If the dragon materials weren't available in unlimited quantity and handed to you for free from the very beginning of the game it wouldn't be as bad, since you'd have to wait at least for the vendors to "unlock" the better ingots via your character level, but that's not the case.
I agree about this as well. Acquiring the dragonscale armor in Dragon Age: Origins felt like a real achievement because killing a high dragon was actually hard and it didn't come until fairly far into the game. It just doesn't have the same impact in this game.

erragal

thefil said:
So far it doesn't seem like people are complaining about the removal of attributes or that certain builds are unviable at high levels?

What builds aren't viable at high levels?

As for attributes, I really feel like the perks system is interesting enough to offset them. I imagine mods will make for an even larger selection of perks that could expand possible builds/playstyles even more (Right when they fix the loot/crafting).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExodu5 said:

Yeah, I was shocked that that was the case. If skill-ups from lower level recipes did trivial out as your skill increased then it would be a massive money sink to get to 100, yet would still be worthwhile for the investment.

TheExodu5

Banned
The perk system is awesome, and besides a few useless perks (lockpicking tree) and the broken crafting system, I think the leveling in this game is a massive step above previous Elder Scrolls game.

joelseph said:
Gonna have to ignore Evil and Exod posts for a while, having too much fun with the game to get hung up on mechanic flaws.

Best to play it that way, tbh.

erragal

webrunner said:
- Arrange a careful stack on the floor of your house.
- Use them as breadcrumbs to find your way in a dungeon
- try to build a wall out of them to block NPC vision
- get every companion and give them the items
- throw them over a waterfall
- dragonshout them into enemies

Dual Cast telekinesis them around everywhere and kill a dragon with them.

webrunner

DoctorWho said:
I want to kill a Mammoth.

Gaf, tell me how to kill a Mammoth without getting slaughtered.

I had one fly 50 feet up into the air off in the distance and then fall to it's death.

You could try that?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, Markarth is now completely littered with guards because
I actually killed a fuckton of them before escaping the city clean, then going back for a "what if I just get arrested?" option to discover I was supposed to get caught. Man I hate it when games want you to give up for the story. Oh well, at least I stole a fortune on my way out the first time. Now all is forgiven but I'm stinking rich. It was also fun not even needing a shiv because I have bound blade and other spells out the ass, not to mention my shouts. REALLY bad idea treating me like some commoner.

syllogism

Yes, it's a bit strange to see people be so surprised about this, considering how broken EVERYTHING was especially in morrowind and to a slightly lesser degree in Oblivion. You could just level up everything with ease, find high level items very early on and thus never get upgrades and just flat out break the game within the first hour

Rokk

Neo Member
EviLore said:
Yeah I've intentionally not brought smithing to 100 yet, because it might kill the game for me to not have any better gear to look forward to.

I'll get my enchanting 100 perk instead and enchant a set of Glass Armor of Carry Capacity, that'll make me happy ;b

That was my mistake. 100 smithing and fully upgraded dragonplate armour / daedric 2h sword at level 25, I destroy everything but I'm pretty sure there are no upgrades to be had.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
But you didn't say anything about skill level 75 to 83, did you? You said "If you only use smithing as you require it, I guarantee you'll never make it passed 25.". Am I misunderstanding something?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExodu5 said:
The perk system is awesome, and besides a few useless perks (lockpicking tree) and the broken crafting system, I think the leveling in this game is a massive step above previous Elder Scrolls game.

Agreed. It actually succeeds at what it always set out to be: a system where you become the type of character that represents your playstyle over the course of the game. You don't need to plan it out or "game" the system by OCD min/maxing, it just works.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
But you didn't say anything about skill level 75 to 83, did you? You said "If you only use smithing as you require it, I guarantee you'll never make it passed 25.". Am I misunderstanding something?

In my case, as a solo thief/assassin, that is the case. I wouldn't have made it past 25. I forgot about mercenaries and gave him the benefit of the doubt. I just used the 75->83 example because I actually counted the amount of levels I gained from creating 70 leather bracers last night.

It's disappointing to read that level-scaling still exists in Skyrim, that's why I ultimately disliked Fallout 3 and Oblivion. It just takes time invested to see the true impact/effect of such a design choice. I didn't trust Bethesda with the enemy level scaling so I fought my natural tendency to make a stealthy/ranged character and just rolled as a heavy armor melee tank. Did Bethesda at least get enemy scaling right in this game? Have people who rolled with something other than a melee/tank found their character build viable?

webrunner said:
I had one fly 50 feet up into the air off in the distance and then fall to it's death.

You could try that?

So I need to build a giant see-saw and find something heavier than the Mammoth to send it catapulting into the air.

Just killed a dragon... And it's not dissolving. Not getting its soul, either.

On the other hand, however, that means I get to have fun with dragon ragdolls!

KJTB

I have a quick question. So I don't own a house in White Run yet... and I can't find lydia! I've tried waiting until she gets bored and leaves but I can't find her anywhere. Do you guys know where to find her?

Wallach

The leveling system change is probably the best thing to happen in a TES game yet.

Can't say the loot has bothered me any. I don't really do any crafting of it as a mage, though.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Dipindots said:
I have a quick question. So I don't own a house in White Run yet... and I can't find lydia! I've tried waiting until she gets bored and leaves but I can't find her anywhere. Do you guys know where to find her?
Check Dragonsreach. That's where she went to when I told her stay in Whiterun.

Volimar

jaundicejuice said:
It's disappointing to read that level-scaling still exists in Skyrim, that's why I ultimately disliked Fallout 3 and Oblivion. It just takes time invested to see the true impact/effect of such a design choice. I didn't trust Bethesda with the enemy level scaling so I fought my natural tendency to make a stealthy/ranged character and just rolled as a heavy armor melee tank. Did Bethesda at least get enemy scaling right in this game? Have people who rolled with something other than a melee/tank found their character build viable?

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that different areas have different level ranges. Say an area is lvl 10-20. If you first go in that area when you are level 5, the levels of the enemies are 10 (the closest level to yours in the range). If your level is 16 when you first go there, the level of the enemies is 16. If your level is 25 when you first go there, the level of the enemies is level 20 (again, the closest level to yours in the level range).

thefil

Dipindots said:

Dead at the feet of a necromancer. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Volimar said:
I'm pretty sure the way it works is that different areas have different level ranges. Say an area is lvl 10-20. If you first go in that area when you are level 5, the levels of the enemies are 10 (the closest level to yours in the range). If your level is 16 when you first go there, the level of the enemies is 16. If your level is 25 when you first go there, the level of the enemies is level 20 (again, the closest level to yours in the level range).

You know, that's what they said, but I don't think I believe them. I think the "level-range" areas only apply to the main quest or something. Otherwise, pretty much everything has been scaled to my level. The only difference might be that certain areas get locked at whatever level you first entered.

Ferrio said:
You can craft arrows right? I haven't delved in any of the crafting yet.

Nope, annoyingly. The best way to get arrows is basically to buy them off a blacksmith, wait for 48 hours, and repeat.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
prowler_ said:
When I told her to wait in some dungeon and forgot all about her, she appeared in my house in Whiterun. Bitch moved herself in.

She's not appeared in my house yet.

There's a sexist joke to be had here.

Can a companion actually die, or do they just kneel down when damaged too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom