• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aurora said:
Disappointing to hear that the loot is shit in Skyrim. I wish they'd done something more along the lines of Sacred II, which in my opinion had an amazing loot system.
It is not shit. I have found plenty of neat stuff tucked away in dungeons. Not all of it is useful for my build but I've picked up lots of stuff that has been useful in some way. Disenchanting is the big one--you learn enchants from disenchanting stuff, so finding a butt-plug of stamina may not sound too great, but the stamina part can be put on something else that isn't a butt-plug.

TheExodu5

Banned
SteveWD40 said:
Right, so MQ:

Level 7 DW fighter type in light armour, running up the hill to see the Greybeards and I get merked by a Frost Troll, so badly I even lowered the difficultly but no dice, he takes my health out in about 2 4 hits and I am out of potions...

Am I supposed to just run away? Seems scripted as he jumped off a cliff to get at me.
I just ran from him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mbmonk said:
1) Where is a safe place to put my items until I buy a house.
2) Rough estimate of the cost for cheap house in Whiterun?
I'm pretty sure you can safely store stuff in Gertrude and Rolaf's house in Riverwood.

The house is 5000g, without attachments.

Acidote said:
I screwed my character bad with perks hahaha. Level 12 and the
Companions dungeon with Farkas where he first turns into a werewolf
has been hell. I've put perks in destro and resto magic, and one handed swords. I think I'll have to start the game again and focus just on the simple gameplay of sword and shield :(. That, or keep playing, balance my character as much as I can until a perk reset mod is released hahaha.

Don't know if it's interesting but Farkas is Hungarian for Wolf

Two questions:

This may sound dumb, but leveling up a skill makes you better at it even without perks right? Like if I never chose any perks and had 100 in Archery I would still do way more damage than if I had 30 in Archery right?

Does anyone know where I can sell dragon scales and plate?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wish it told you better when you were sick/ill. I almost turned into a vampire because I didn't realize I had to go into the magic menu to see whats wrong with me lol.

Leunam said:
I'd say the best way to get arrows is to explore dungeons and kill bandits. I have over 400 iron arrows and I didn't buy a single one. I've given Lydia around 200 steel arrows since she gets better use out of them than I do.
Same here, I never bought arrows and I kill at least 75% of my enemies with my bow. I have a few hundred Iron Arrows, a couple hundred Ancient Nord Arrows, a hundred or so Steel Arrows and a few dozen Orcish arrows... more probably (are there Dwarven arrows, I want to say I have a stack of those to).

mbmonk

Halycon said:
I'm pretty sure you can safely store stuff in Gertrude and Rolaf's house in Riverwood.

The house is 5000g, without attachments.

Thank you very much.

I have been carrying around everything because it never occurred to me to store stuff in barrels etc.

5k is going to me take a bit of time. I just bought a horse and spent like another 1k on leveling up archery in Rivervail by paying an NPC. I am beginning to think that was a mistake. Oh well, I will churn out the cash now that I can carry more loot :p

Derrick01

Banned
Aurora said:
Disappointing to hear that the loot is shit in Skyrim. I wish they'd done something more along the lines of Sacred II, which in my opinion had an amazing loot system.

It's frustrating because it's probably the only thing stopping this game from at least being one of the best RPGs ever. I still think exploration is fun because I like stealth killing people and I like the dungeon variety so far as well as picking up useful stuff (even if I can find it elsewhere due to scaling), but I'm not going to sit here and say that finding rare and powerful stuff wouldn't add to the experience.

A few questions:
  • Is there a way to call my horse if it's not nearby?
  • Do I need to worry about equipping my companions? or will they scale with me?
  • What's the best way to make money? I had to work for a long time to get the 5,000 gold for my first house.

And there's a massive thread of tips over at Reddit's /r/skyrim.

scy

mbmonk said:
Thank you very much.

I have been carrying around everything because it never occurred to me to store stuff in barrels etc.

5k is going to me take a bit of time. I just bought a horse and spent like another 1k on leveling up archery in Rivervail by paying an NPC. I am beginning to think that was a mistake. Oh well, I will churn out the cash now that I can carry more loot :p

Depending on your feelings toward pickpocketing, the gold from paying NPCs for training is stored in their inventory.

GhaleonEB

Zeliard said:
I've definitely entered dungeons and such where the enemies were noticeably hard-hitting.
As have I. I've had to straight-up abandon a few, and flee some regions I was trying to explore.

Regarding loot...I haven't found anything huge but I do find enough spikes in quality to make me feel rewarded. Early on (probably level 5-ish) I found an Imperial Bow in a very rough dungeon (took me well over an hour to get through as some enemies were one-hitting me). That was +4 damage and several classes above anything I'd seen so far. Shortly after I found an enchanting station and now it has a +10 fire damage on top of it.

Until last night, it was still the best bow I'd found yet, and I'm now level 15. And the one I found still won't be better than my current until I enchant it.

By wandering into nasty territory I found a great weapon that was one-shotting enemies from sneak for a good long while, once I was out of that region. I'm also still rocking a valuable crown for around 5 levels that hasn't been topped for its effect (18% boost to archery damage).

Not huge, but enough of a spike that I felt like my higher risk exploration was rewarded. I've seen similar such loot that didn't fit my character style and was sold for a healthy chunk of change.

That kind of stuff never, ever happened in Oblivion. Much - most - of the loot is approrpriately scaled, but I'm finding enough of this stuff to keep me happy.

ced

Impressions after 12 hours:

Overall, love it, it's Oblivion 2.0 but without the lame stuff. I love the perks, it really drives you to level up. I have not even been up to highpoint yet, I just kept running into stuff a long the way. I started the thieves and magic guild last night, I think I'm going to complete the thieves first as that is what my char does best. My char is spec'd in sneak, archery and destruction, I don't even have a melee weapon. Stealth was a little rough until sneaking was lvl 30 - 40 but now I'm rocking the bow sniping, if only they would patch in a way to ID a target from a distance.

and the gripes:

The cities and towns I've been to are all the same tile set and are pretty much identical, at least in Oblivion each city had it's own look and feel, I've yet to really see this yet.

No target ID. If your a stealth bow user it's a PITA. You pretty much have to save, go up and see if the thing is a bandit or a good person then re load and snipe, it's really annoying.

Shop keepers are physic. Everyone I've robbed sent thugs after me with a contract saying to beat me up, even though I cleaned the place out while they were sleeping and while sneaking. Oh well, it's better than Oblivion...

Loot is pretty lame just like in Morrowind / Oblivion. I have seen a lot more of the "of frost, fire etc" than Oblivion, but I'm still using a standard bow after 12 hrs...

The quick menu isn't really quick. We at least need a way to create two sets of spells / weapons to the right and left d pad buttons.

Gamebryo engine is still rearing it's ugly head. Yeah the visuals are a huge upgrade over Oblivion, but it still feels like Oblivion, and not in a good way. The mountains and fog effects are awesome though. I really hope ES6 is with a new engine.

Morokh

Just beat my first Ice dragon, did not receive it's soul .... talk about frustrating xD

Well at least the fight was epic, since he attacked me near a Giant's camp, he got the giant low and flew away for a good minute, so I jumped on the giant and finished him, just to see at that moment that a cave bear was playing with the dragon, shot a few spells while the bear was tanking and finished the dragon by jumping at it with my sword :p

still want his soul dammit ! :(

Was following Evilore talk about the game mechanics, and while I agree that the spells availability tied to skill levels is lame, still there is enough incentive with spell perks to level them without having to really care :eek:

Alchemy

My only issues with this game are:

1) Dragon fights suck unless you're ranged. Chasing dragons around as they fly and land repeatedly is rather annoying.

2) Bows are far away the best weapons in the game. I'm using Bound Bow, and I can one shot creatures out of sneak and shove their soul into a stone. Its pretty OP.

Loot not always being amazing/rare/enchanted in a dungeon is fine by me because it makes the world feel less like a video game thats trying to shove loot in your face. Plus I can always sell it and roll around in gold, which is extremely useful because I keep getting my horses killed. Plus I'm keeping some gear I find thats not enchanted safe for when I get my enchanting up higher so I can make some better gear.

I haven't been compelled to grind my crafts yet, but I do want to make some dragon scale armor. I just keep getting sucked into random quests all over the damn place, even though I'm trying to clear out everything in Whiterun first.

Pretty disappointed that I was only able to drop 26 hours into this over the weekend.

ajf009

Flachmatuch said:
Don't know if it's interesting but Farkas is Hungarian for Wolf

that's actually really interesting! Cool stuff, I wonder how many more little things like that are spread throughout the game

KorrZ

Disarm shout makes me feel like a bad ass. Just standing there and watching an enemy run up to you to try and cut you down, and the knocking the weapon right out of his hands. Silly claymore wielding brutes, I am Dovahkiin!

Haly

Epyon MX said:
[*]Is there a way to call my horse if it's not nearby?
[*]Do I need to worry about equipping my companions? or will they scale with me?
[*]What's the best way to make money? I had to work for a long time to get the 5,000 gold for my first house.
Horses can die, if it's not near you when you fast travel, it might be dead.

Yes you do, they have some kind of invisible default armor but if you're planning to take them out for any stretch of time it's smart to put stuff on them

I have no idea, I had 0 problems making money. By the time I could buy a house I already had 10k. Pickpocketing + sell everything + buy nothing seems to work for me. I don't see the point of trainers, since everything you train you'll level up naturally anyway. Except for the really tough skills like Speech and Alchemy.

Right now I'm level 36 and I have 42k, and nothing to really spend it on. Haven't bothered unlocked other houses yet.

MrBig

GhostRidah said:
Anyone know how many shouts are in the game? I have about 5 at level 18
20, with 3 words each.
So there's probably around 45 word walls, counting for hrothgar rewards, and walls with multiple words.

Haly

Salaadin said:
Are the more expensive houses nicer than the one in Whirerun? Its so small :(
They get progressively fancier + more expensive I believe.

Reknoc

This Dragon problem seems less of a problem when the local wildlife (and some of the bandits) seem to be a lot tougher than Dragons.

Haly

Deadly Cyclone said:
When do you get the first shout? I am level 6 now, although I have only done 1 of the story quests.
The first shout is part of the main quest chain in Riverwood.

Just make sure to keep an eye out for glowing runes on the walls. I skipped it by accident the first time I think, had to trek back. Paaaaaaaaaaain.
Where is the cheapest house in the game located and how much is it?
Whiterun, 5k for an empty house for peasants.

Sol.. said:
I'm largely Conjurer focused. It's very fun, but incredibly tiresome. I'm soft as shit and to rectify that I have to cast a bunch of shit. It's too much to do with the current system

I agree, the preparation for fights is too much so I've stopped doing it as well. At lvl 17 I'm tired of going through the quick menu, it's a pain.

ced

KorrZ said:
Disarm shout makes me feel like a bad ass. Just standing there and watching an enemy run up to you to try and cut you down, and the knocking the weapon right out of his hands. Silly claymore wielding brutes, I am Dovahkiin!

I ran into a dungeon that had a draugr that did that shout, he was a pain, kept having to go find my bow on the ground somewhere lol.

Wallach

GhaleonEB said:
That kind of stuff never, ever happened in Oblivion. Much - most - of the loot is approrpriately scaled, but I'm finding enough of this stuff to keep me happy.

Yeah, it's not really done in the same way as Oblivion. The biggest thing to me is that the stuff that is unique is not level scaled; that is what really killed Oblivion's loot for me. It would be neat to see more randomized high level loot, but that is not something Morrowind or Oblivion really handled well so I wasn't holding my breath for that.

Derrick01

Banned
mbmonk said:
Some of you are ruthless. I might have to try that :)

Seriously I'm a hardcore thief that's stolen over 5000 items and I never even thought to try that. Would save me so much money since most of my thief training costs 2k per level now.

Hyunkel6

Deadly Cyclone said:
When do you get the first shout? I am level 6 now, although I have only done 1 of the story quests.
In Bleak Falls. You can get there right after Riverwood. However, you'll need to kill your first dragon to actually use the shout.

SteveWD40

I don't think the loot is an issue, I assume there is still the cool artifact stuff to track down (most ES fans will know the main ones) and Elder Scrolls have never been like Diablo as far as loot goes.

I also noticed there are several different models for the same armor, which is a nice touch, found at least 3 "Hide Armors".

erragal

Halycon said:
I have no idea, I had 0 problems making money. By the time I could buy a house I already had 10k. Pickpocketing + sell everything + buy nothing seems to work for me. I don't see the point of trainers, since everything you train you'll level up naturally anyway. Except for the really tough skills like Speech and Alchemy.

If you want to use shields and are not wearing armor you will need to pay for armor training a lot as the armor skill still affects the armor rating on the shield but blocking only raises block.

MrBig

Deadly Cyclone said:
They are scattered all over the world. I believe unrelenting force is unlocked by default, you get sprint at one of the early main quest stories, and there are tons hidden in the world. Just explore.

Derrick01

Banned
Reknoc said:
This Dragon problem seems less of a problem when the local wildlife (and some of the bandits) seem to be a lot tougher than Dragons.

I don't know, I used to have a pretty easy time with dragons on the 5 or so that I killed. But near Solitude I ran into a Frost Dragon who was wrecking me pretty good with his breath and my arrows weren't doing very much damage to him. If I didn't run away and let various enemies keep him busy he would have killed me easily.

Pollux

EviLore said:
The loot is actually pretty terrible in Skyrim, yes. It's a combination of several factors.

-WYSIWYG loot system is only selectively enforced. There are basically no enemies walking around in lootable high level gear sets. Best I've seen is steel plate. Kill an extreme badass enemy, expect to loot an empty or near-empty corpse and be directed to the level-scaled chest of loot next to his body. This is just not nearly as satisfying even if you get something good in there. An example in Morrowind would be entering a remote dungeon and finding a Vampire Lord in full glass armor and weapons, having an epic battle with him, then having an ear to ear grin as you loot all that stuff for your character.

I agree it's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still better than Oblivion...which isn't saying much. Since I'm crafting most of my weapons and then enchanting them I'm not too bothered by it.

But the one thing I hoped for was exactly what you mentioned. I want a handful of people at the start of the game who are hard as shit to kill, wearing glass/daedric/special type of armor. If I kill them then I get that gear at a low level, or at whatever level I'm at when I get it.

They can keep nearly everything else about the game the same, but as far as loot, items, and enemy scaling...go back to Morrowind.

Other than that, the game is fucking perfect. I'm willing to overlook the above deficiency because the rest of the game taken as a whole is just so good.

newsguy

Well the game got it's hooks in me and when I checked the time it was 6 am... i started playing at 10 pm... After killing 2 dragons (and losing a pretty sexy bodyguard) I can re-re-re confirm that giants are fucking assholes and way too difficult. Still, I can't resist shooting a poison arrow at them every single time I see one ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
zmoney said:
Other than that, the game is fucking perfect. I'm willing to overlook the above deficiency because the rest of the game taken as a whole is just so good.

This pretty much sums up my experience with Skyrim so far.

OG Kush

Heavy armour vs light armour? I'm guessing sneaking is better with light armor and even better when wearing robes or nothing? I tested run speed and I ran the same speed wearing either heavy or light.
Also for enchanting it said I need to break down enchanted weapons first. How do I do this? I have some axes that look enchanted (they're green glowing spots on it and it says 10 fire damage when used when the moon is out)

MrBig

cann3dheat said:
Which is the better of the two choices to join,
the Imperial Army or the Stormcloaks? Or does it not matter which you choose?
I've been holding out on joining either, so that I can find out the positions of both. Don't know if the story is actually effected by the choice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom