• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about a certain staff that controls things near the end of the Thieves Guild quests..
The Spider Control Staff thing, that controls that spider robot, does that work on all spider robots or just that one? Can you lead the spider robot out of that town and take it to your home or anything cool like that? I was hoping for a Spider Robot buddy. :S

thefil

zmoney said:
But the one thing I hoped for was exactly what you mentioned. I want a handful of people at the start of the game who are hard as shit to kill, wearing glass/daedric/special type of armor. If I kill them then I get that gear at a low level, or at whatever level I'm at when I get it.

What about some of the plot characters. Are there any of them wearing amazing stuff? I remember killing a MQ dude in Morrowind for his full set of Daedric.

It's true that there's no Hlaalu vault this time, though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OG Kush said:
Heavy armour vs light armour? I'm guessing sneaking is better with light armor and even better when wearing robes or nothing? I tested run speed and I ran the same speed wearing either heavy or light.

Sneaking IS better with light. Are you planning to be heavy run-and-gun melee or ranged/thief or mage like?

Mage can go either way with enchantments really. The other two options (melee vs ranged/thief) are probably more heavy and light specific. At least that's what I've figured.

But ultimately, you can seriously do whatever you want and make it work.

webrunner

Epyon MX said:
A few questions:
  • Is there a way to call my horse if it's not nearby?
  • Do I need to worry about equipping my companions? or will they scale with me?
  • What's the best way to make money? I had to work for a long time to get the 5,000 gold for my first house.

And there's a massive thread of tips over at Reddit's /r/skyrim.

Wait.. wait... heating up a lock makes it easier to pick!?

SteveWD40

thefil said:
What about some of the plot characters. Are there any of them wearing amazing stuff? I remember killing a MQ dude in Morrowind for his full set of Daedric.

Oooooh, I used to spend hours looting those vaults, getting as much chameleon as possible etc.. I spent hours at Ghost-gate as well trying in vain to sneak enough to steal the Glass Armour there.

I do agree that Morrowind did it better but Skyrim > Oblivion so far.

Alchemy

go_la_clips said:
I agree, the preparation for fights is too much so I've stopped doing it as well. At lvl 17 I'm tired of going through the quick menu, it's a pain.

I'm heavily conjuration focused as well. The double cast perk is basically required for dungeon excursions because I can conjure myself a bow and sneak around the entire dungeon with it. If shit hits the fan and I have to enter combat I summon an Atronach, and switch to a shield + bound sword and I'm usually good. I do wear light armor instead of robes.

SteveWD40 said:
I don't think the loot is an issue, I assume there is still the cool artifact stuff to track down (most ES fans will know the main ones) and Elder Scrolls have never been like Diablo as far as loot goes.

This is how I feel. There are rare super awesome pieces of loot, but they're actually rare. This isn't Diablo that floods you with enchanted gear every three mobs. Half the time you're just going to end up with gold from a dungeon run.

Right now I've only found one super rare item that I actually use that I got from an epic battle with some named lich that busted out of a casket after a dragon fight. It has something crazy like +20% sneak, bow, and something else and has a unique model (hood+mask). I've gotten a couple of other unique items that don't fit my character build, but they're the exception. And thats what makes them awesome.

I don't expect to find some bandit chief in full enchanted gear, I expect him to be wearing the same leather stuff that his underlings had.

Loxley

It finally came, totally worth it.

I'm a tad disappointed that unlike a few other strategy guides, they didn't throw any concept art or anything in there. So, believe or not, all 655 pages of this thing are pure business.

They even include a freakin' guide to the Dragon language, including an English-to-Dragon (lol) translation for various words and phrases. An assload of work went into this thing o_O

redhot_

Wow.. just had a crazy bug on ps3. Last night i saved in my Markarth house. Logged in just know and everything i bought to upgrade was gone. It looked like my house was trashed everything was on the floor. Fixed by just reloading the save thank god.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Loxley said:

So, believe or not, all 655 pages of this thing are pure business. They even include a freakin' guide to the Dragon language, including an English-to-Dragon (lol) translation for various words and phrases. An assload of work went into this thing o_O

If I buy the guide, its hardcover all the way. That thing is REALLY awesome looking.

Reknoc

Derrick01 said:
I don't know, I used to have a pretty easy time with dragons on the 5 or so that I killed. But near Solitude I ran into a Frost Dragon who was wrecking me pretty good with his breath and my arrows weren't doing very much damage to him. If I didn't run away and let various enemies keep him busy he would have killed me easily.

Well I imagine it gets harder, but right now it's incredibly jarring to be able to knife a dragon to death only to turn around and get one shotted by a bear.

coopolon

I'm kind of regretting getting the perk to make my bound bow cast soul trap. The bound bow is SO much better than my normal bow that I always want to use it, but then I'm filling up big soul gems with little souls. Think I might console that perk away.

Also, people complaining about too much preparation , how much preparation are you guys doing? I'm conjuration/archery focused. I always have my companion and one summon with me (normally an atronoch when beginning a dungeon, then start raising the dead after that), I'll cast a armor spell, and bind a bow and just kill stuff. Occasionally mid-fight I'll have to swap over to summon atronoch and summon another one if the first one dies, then summon the bow again. It is probably easier on PC with 1-8 hotkeys.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dude: I'm on the verge of death. Can you heal me?
Me: Uhhh... sure... *clueless about magic* now how do I cast this healing spell on you... uhhh.. *accidentally shouts at him*
Dude: *is dead*
Me: Uh, whoops... when was my last sav--ohhhh, sorry bro, you're outta luck.

For some reason that quest is still in my list. Same for the book I got before I talked to the librarian who wanted it. I guess I'll have to look up the console commands to move those along. Good time to be a PC gamer.

I'm debating whether or not to make a "marriage candidate profiles" post as a contribution for everyone else as I set out to consider the various options for myself.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got to this spot on the map that looks like it might have something there. All of a sudden a Frost Dragon pops out while the thing that was actually supposed to be there, a Draugr Overlord, pops out at the same time.

I then found a Flame Dragon perched on the top of a fortress resting.

thefil said:

You can get Elven Light Armor pretty early in the game if you can snipe. There is a lady in Whiterun who is looking for her son.
You get a quest to free him, if you go to that fort everyone guarding it is wearing Elven gear, they're not aggro by default, if you can kill one of the entrance guards in one hit, the others won't aggro you and you can walk up and just loot his body. Really great gear set for a thief/archer early on. Also the area is INSANELY hard at a lower level, so it will take a while if you intend to clear it all out solo. You can bring her other son with you, but I haven't completed the quest yet so I'm not sure of the potential outcome of that choice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Government-man said:
I'm with you, haven't used fast travel yet, played 12 hours.

I was going to go this route, really really wanted to, but when I get out of a dungeon with all of my shit and no room for anything more, I can't help but fast travel home, unload, fast travel back, and continue my expedition.

To each their own. ;)

coopolon

nicoga3000 said:
I was going to go this route, really really wanted to, but when I get out of a dungeon with all of my shit and no room for anything more, I can't help but fast travel home, unload, fast travel back, and continue my expedition.

To each their own. ;)

Yah, I also fast travel to unload but not to actually go places.

Even in Morrowind you had Mark/Recall and the Temple/Imperial teleport spells, fast travel just replaces those for me.

In other news, does anyone sell soul gems?

Blizzard said:
Me neither, also 11-12 hours according to Steam. Last night I even spent like 4 hours (ok like 5-10 minutes, but it felt like 4 hours) trudging over a hill with about 400 weight of items to sell, since I didn't want to make two trips or fast travel back to town, if that's even possible.

Since Steam is known to have messed-up hour-tracking, is there any ingame way to know how long you've played, or at least to know what time of day it is? The sleep screen shows the time of day, but I don't know otherwise.

When loading a save game it will tell you how many hours you've been playing on that character.

Blizzard

Banned
Government-man said:
I'm with you, haven't used fast travel yet, played 12 hours.
Me neither, also 11-12 hours according to Steam. Last night I even spent like 4 hours (ok like 5-10 minutes, but it felt like 4 hours) trudging over a hill with about 400 weight of items to sell, since I didn't want to make two trips or fast travel back to town, if that's even possible.

Since Steam is known to have messed-up hour-tracking, is there any ingame way to know how long you've played, or at least to know what time of day it is? The sleep screen shows the time of day, but I don't know otherwise.

Thanks for the input guys!

One more question, at what point did you guys do the Shimmering Cave quest? I'm only level 7 and got owned, but I managed to make it to the end and the big guy annihilated me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
narcosis219 said:
Just got it.

Hardcore no fast travel mode. Fuck yea. WHO'S WITH ME?
After making the trip to Winterhold, I'm going to go ahead and say 'no fucking way'.

Chriswok said:
Walking around. Find abandoned, upturned Cabbage Cart. Who would leave their Cabbages like this all over the road? WHY?

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595828084908619103/A86FB1A66C36BC078FAD3D2AE591086535DB42FF/[IMG]

I DEMAND ANSWERS![/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bmtUf.jpg

I liked how within the first 15 minutes or so I could tell this was the game I've been wishing Bethesda would make since Morrowind.

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
So including the first Dragon, I've killed 3 so far. But the "dragon souls" I have is only 2. Is that because when you unlock a shout it costs a soul?

Yes. It also costs one soul to upgrade a shout to the two/three word versions.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet (don't have time to look through all those pages).

If you want to kill a giant/mammoth easily, let it chase you to a lake/pond. They should stay away a little and walk away while you can reside near the shore without needing to swim. Wail on them with arrows and, if they stray too far, head out of the shore to bring them back.

For giants, once they kneel in pain, you can finish them off.

GhaleonEB

narcosis219 said:
Faithfully, every TES game I've played. It is worth it especially in Skyrim because it looks so goddamn beautiful. You discover a lot.
That's how I'm playing it as well. My horse is fast enough and the world interesting enough that I'm really enjoying my cross-country treks. It's really just an added level of role playing; I'm going to soak in one region, work quests there, weaving in any fetch quests to accomodate the mood to explore as it comes.

With Oblivion I gave up that route after a short time since the difficulty of the world stayed static, but with Skyrim long journeys are actually dangerous, and I enjoy that.

Derrick01

Banned
narcosis219 said:
Just got it.

Hardcore no fast travel mode. Fuck yea. WHO'S WITH ME?

I was with you for about 10 hours or so until I started getting quests in Markarth from Riften and stuff like that. I'm fine with making the trip once for adventuring purposes, but in no way shape or form am I going to constantly run that far. It's just too much.

K.Sabot said:
Sneak is mad powerful in this game.

30x damage w/ DB gloves? 1 shot dwarven centurions.

Yeah I've been trying to tell people. If you roll with that combo you'll 1 shot just about everything, all but the very most powerful enemies probably.

Zeliard

GhaleonEB said:
That's how I'm playing it as well. My horse is fast enough and the world interesting enough that I'm really enjoying my cross-country treks. It's really just an added level of role playing; I'm going to soak in one region, work quests there, weaving in any fetch quests to accomodate the mood to explore as it comes.

With Oblivion I gave up that route after a short time since the difficulty of the world stayed static, but with Skyriim long journeys are actually dangerous, and I enjoy that.

Yep I've ignored the carriage completely. Much more enjoyable to go to a new area manually.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My game may not look as pretty as everyone else playing on Ultra detail with 16xAA and all that jazz, but when I go into a cave and see this sort of stuff, I stop caring about that.

2011111300001l.jpg

thefil

nicoga3000 said:
My game may not look as pretty as everyone else playing on Ultra detail with 16xAA and all that jazz, but when I go into a cave and see this sort of stuff, I stop caring about that.

2011111300001l.jpg

I jumped off that waterfall to escape a bandit. Good times. Did you find the secret treasure in the lake?

brentech

ced said:
The quick menu isn't really quick. We at least need a way to create two sets of spells / weapons to the right and left d pad buttons.
That's probably my biggest beef. Should of had way better functionality with that. Spells shouldn't be mixed in with my weapons and shield. I still use it's really the most basic form of a favorite list ever.
Even adding a horizontal line splitting spells and physical items would have been a great improvement. So basic, but overlooked.

Not having anything linked to the DPad left/right makes it even more inexcusable (or at least I'm not aware of any mapping to those buttons).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Derrick01 said:
I was with you for about 10 hours or so until I started getting quests in Markarth from Riften and stuff like that. I'm fine with making the trip once for adventuring purposes, but in no way shape or form am I going to constantly run that far. It's just too much.

Games designed for this sort of fast travel are not designed to take distances between locations into account for quests. Not using fast travel in Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim is just busy work, unlike in games such as Morrowind or Risen.

Ezduo

Banned
So, how many skills should I be working on exactly? I use a bow and stealth when I can, one handed when I get caught, destruction magic for extra damage, and restoration when I'm hurt not to mention light armor from just being hit, smithing for better shit and speech when I'm selling stuff. I also used two handed and heavy armor for the first few hours before switching. Hell, I just found out about enchanting too and the first thing I did was destroy like six weapons to get their enchantments for later. Am I going to fuck myself over? Are all the enemies going to start becoming unbeatable? I already had a quest where I got annihilated by a group of bandits a few times even with a partner and only got past it when I was able to force a one on one confrontation with each.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
thefil said:
I jumped off that waterfall to escape a bandit. Good times. Did you find the secret treasure in the lake?

That I did! I've learned to check
waterfalls for secrets
after finding a ridiculously good amulet
behind a waterfall
while exploring the mountains.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Loxley said:
Ordered it from US Amazon from Germany, can't wait to get my hands on this. Looks SO good.

Is there actually some stuff in it in the first half you can read without getting spoilered the hell out of you?

watership

Running from a Dragon into the nearby town and watching it strafe farmers and guards on fire-breathing attack runs in one of the best things I have ever seen in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom