• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

kendrid said:
The game manual does say that your home is the only safe place to store items.

But yeah, it is probably a bug.

Actually people CAN take your stuff.. you may find a guard in your house telling you, or you might find people running off with your stuff (which you can then go try to get back)

Davedough

How does alchemy work? I stepped up to the bench after eating one of everything I had to find out what it does and started combining ingredients for fancy potions. Every single one I tried failed. What am I doing wrong?

Grisby

So...I thought I saw a mammoth drop out of thin air in the corner of my eye last night. This morning I went over to that area and found one dead. Later I thought I saw one do the same thing again and went over; sure enough it was dead.

I have mammoths randomly going into the air and dying. Ha.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Anyone know of a vendor with more than 1000 gold without using the perk?

JWong said:
Is there a way to get rid of corpses?

I have 3 corpses in the thieves guild that are very annoying to look at when I go in.

Also have 2 dragon corpses in front of a palace in Solitude that are just jittering about.
You can lock on a dead body by pressing/hold A (360-) and move a corpse. You can do this with items without taking them too.

Edit: You press and hold A again to let go unless it does it naturally.

Cdammen said:
Has anyone found 20 Jazbay grapes? I have no clue on where to look.
Arch-Mage Quarter has a garden. I think there are six and then you have to wait for them to grow/reset.

scy

Davedough said:
How does alchemy work? I stepped up to the bench after eating one of everything I had to find out what it does and started combining ingredients for fancy potions. Every single one I tried failed. What am I doing wrong?

You need to use Ingredients with matching effects in order to make a potion. It's a pain in the ass to find them all out without the perk or just ... Googling a list or something.

Davedough

scy said:
You need to use Ingredients with matching effects in order to make a potion. It's a pain in the ass to find them all out without the perk or just ... Googling a list or something.

Oooh... so you cant make a potion that say... resists frost and improves stamina then? You have to combine two ingredients that basically do the same thing?

Shadybiz

Davedough said:

When you have enough ingredients to make a particular potion, that potion will be highlighted if you scroll down the list. Those will be enough to get you started. If you don't have the appropriate ingredients to make a potion, everything will be greyed out. You can also try the random mix, like you are describing. Someone posted a nice guide on here on how to go about it (maybe 10-15 pages back at this point). I haven't given that a try yet, though.

Haunted

aku08 said:
steed stone. gives you 100 extra, and whatever armor you have on to zero weight. thats what ive been rocking with ever since i found it.
I think the armour still has its weight, but you don't get movement penalties for it.

Clevinger

Davedough said:

Eat an ingredient to discover its first effect. Then you should see under "ingredients" some phrases like "restore health" "fortify whatever". Go down to one of those that's not darkened and press right, then select any two of the ingredients and you'll make a potion with that effect.

You can also randomly try to make potions up at the top of the list. That's how you can find out what the ingredients second and third and fourth effects are.

JWong

Banned
webrunner said:
I dunno about the dragon corpses (try shouting?) but you can hold down 'pick up' on a corpse to go into "drag around" mode to pick up items or drag corpses.
Agnostic said:
You can lock on a dead body by pressing/hold A (360-) and move a corpse. You can do this with items without taking them too.

Edit: You press and hold A again to let go unless it does it naturally.
Hmmm, can you enter doors with corpses? I'll try it later.

D6AMIA6N

LOL, start fighting 3 bandits, dragon suddenly flies in. Dragon starts to attack 2 mammoths nearby, while I deal with bandits. Fight dragon, but in process, shoot mammoth with an arrow. Kill dragon with a mace, and then mammoth tramples me.

Complistic

screenshot61i.jpg

JWong said:

I have 3 corpses in the thieves guild that are very annoying to look at when I go in.

Also have 2 dragon corpses in front of a palace in Solitude that are just jittering about.
You can drag corpses

Click and hold the grab button on them... E on PC, A on Xbox, X on PS3

scy

Davedough said:
Oooh... so you cant make a potion that say... resists frost and improves stamina then? You have to combine two ingredients that basically do the same thing?

Basically. Off-hand, Resist Frost and Fortify Stamina aren't actually on any Ingredient together. Snowberries are the quintessential Resist ingredient though (Resist Fire, Frost, Shock, and Fortify Enchanting).

I quite like the Alchemy system if only for the variety of Potions/Poisons to be made. Though getting to the point of having it all available is a pain without tons of trial and error, that perk, or outside help.

HammerOfThor said:
How long do Guardian Stones' effects last?
Forever until you choose to take another stone's effect.

Speaking of Guardian stones.. Those of you who are Mages, which stone's effect do you like the most? I've been rolling with the Atronach stone. It gives you a bunch of Magicka, but makes it regenerate slower. I don't mind though because I have the Morokei mask and Arch Mage's robes which combined makes your Magicka regenerate 200% faster.

syllogism said:
I wonder if (Dark brotherhood spoilers, sort of)
the torture chamber where you can actually torture people until they reveal treasure locations
was inspired by certain morrowind/oblivion mods

What?
How do you torture them? By hitting them? Or can you actually use tools?

Yeah, I'm sick, I know.

Phreaker

-Yeti said:
Have anyone's wedding ceremony been crashed by a dead Lydia? Mine did which caused my wife to think I didn't appear at the ceremony. Lydia's dead body just teleported there and everyone freaked out.

I think that happened to someone at 1up (Games Damn It podcast I believe. I listened to so many that covered Skryrim I could be wrong.)

Blizzard

Banned
BigJonsson said:
What the

Archery is in red and is at 15 =/ I don't appear to have any magical effects listed that would cause this.....
It's a somewhat common glitch (apparently), I don't think anyone knows why. Fortunately leveling up the skill seems to fix it. Has anyone ever had it happen once the skill reaches 100? That would suck if it's possible and you can't fix it. =P

Grisby said:
So...I thought I saw a mammoth drop out of thin air in the corner of my eye last night. This morning I went over to that area and found one dead. Later I thought I saw one do the same thing again and went over; sure enough it was dead.

I have mammoths randomly going into the air and dying. Ha.

Maybe launched by a giant. I have seen vids of creatures flying off in the air when they are clubbed by one.

Phreaker

Tenck said:
I wouldn't leave it anywhere besides your house. I left my stuff in the Winterhold college and everyone helped themselves to my stuff. Was supposedly my room, but nobody seemed to care.

OMG, really!? I put all my shiz is the table between the two wardrobes. I better check that stat! last time I looked it appeared to all be there, but I hadn't done any record keeping of my items.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So are Daedra killable or not? I'm looking up some lore and it seems conflicting.

Some of it says that a Daedra when killed returns to a void in Oblivion waiting to get their physical bodies back. While others say that if the daedra is killed in Oblivion it would die completely.

Phreaker said:
I think that happened to someone at 1up (Games Damn It podcast I believe. I listened to so many that covered Skryrim I could be wrong.)
Yeah, apparently it happened to a buddy of mine as well. It's pretty funny, but it can be annoying trying to find a fix for it. I actually fixed it by going back to the woman I was gonna marry and apologized to her. She gave me another chance and at that point the wedding went off without a hitch. We live happily together at my house in Whiterun, but soon I'm gonna move us to Solitude.

Alchemy

JWong said:

The only thing you can do is move the corpses or turn them to ash. If you use Conjuration (and you should because its the best skill in the game), you can raise their corpse, walk them to a place you don't mind having an ash pile and slap them with a bound weapon.

I haven't found a raise spell powerful to work on dragons yet, but I'm not giving up yet.

Davedough said:
You can mix 3 ingredients, if any of the two ingredients have a matching effect that potion will contain that effect. Say one ingredient has Restore Health and Resist Frost -- one ingredient has Restore Health and Fortify Block -- one ingredient has Fortify Block and Weakness to Fire.

Mix all three and you'll make a potion that both Restores Health and Fortifies Block. Since all ingredients have 4 effects you can get even more technically. I've made a few potions with three effects before.

Gravijah

Drazgul said:
The Lord (physical and magic resistance) is awesome for any type of character. Funny really, considering how crappy the birthsign was in earlier games.

i was just looking at that. think i might drop the thief for it.

Davedough

Houston3000 said:
You can mix 3 ingredients, if any of the two ingredients have a matching effect that potion will contain that effect. Say one ingredient has Restore Health and Resist Frost -- one ingredient has Restore Health and Fortify Block -- one ingredient has Fortify Block and Weakness to Fire.

Mix all three and you'll make a potion that both Restores Health and Fortifies Block. Since all ingredients have 4 effects you can get even more technically. I've made a few potions with three effects before.

Are 3 ingredients the norm? I was combining 2 and the "Craft" icon would light up. That could be why each one of my attempts failed.

aku08

Haunted said:
Oh, neat. I stand corrected. :)

this actually makes me regret putting a bunch of perks on my light armor, because seeing the ebony/daedric armor makes me want to go the heavy armor route, and with this stone, i get no penalty for weight whatsoever.

Tambini

Anyone else fought
Malkoran yet? Bitch was 1 hit killing me ( on master difficulty ). Level 34 and that was the hardest fight yet.
I had to hide behind pillars firing arrows at openings until I could finally sprint up and get him with my sword.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I love the menus compared to Oblivion. So awesome.
I don't like that you can't see your character in the menus, like when equipping items.

And I still can't get used to pressing start for quests. I always press B first!

So outside soltitude where the DB initiation happens this 8 legged chitin monster thingy keeps two-shotting me with its spit. How the hell do you guys deal with this thing? And its like an open swamp, hard to find places to play hide and seek.

Time to bring back Lydia maybe...lol

I suck at this game

Alchemy

The Lamonster said:
I don't like that you can't see your character in the menus, like when equipping items.

And I still can't get used to pressing start for quests. I always press B first!

I never found not seeing my character in the menus an issue, because I tend to know how the armor will look by actually seeing the armor.

Ugh, work crawls with Skyrim at home.

Cudder

Wait a minute, does leveling an ability even do anything to that ability to make it better, or do you have to perk it up for any difference to be had?

Example, is level 20 sneak the same as a level 50 sneak, without any perks? All the level does is make it possible to upgrade your ability further, right? Or am I wrong?

Dommel

Played about 12 hours behind my pc with kb/m. Bought a wired 360 controller and a 5m HDMI cable to hook my pc up to my 42" LCD today.

Now I can play on my couch with everything on Ultra, sogood.gif !

Everytime I play I promise myself to clean up old quests before I take on new ones. Have yet to end a session with less quests than I started with, this game is so insanely awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom