• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Game is 21% cooler when you're an Orc.

Only bad thing about orcs is that if you're rolling thief the armor sets never quite look right on you. Especially stuff like the DB cowls. Pretty hideous. Need that full face mask people seem to be rocking.

Wilbur

Banned
AiTM said:
That was like hour 2 in the game, and I'm on hour 50, so I dont really remember. I didnt make it though, it was loot off a body. Probably wouldn't be hard to find off a bandit, just try some on.
Ah okay thanks. I'm still rolling leather but look badass; Elven Thalmor justicar and Dwarven armour looked too bulky. If anyone has screenshots of Daedra and Ebony for me to see it would be much appreciated.

scy

gutterboy44 said:
Oh shit, didn't realize it was a single arrow shot. Will make them count next time. Thanks for the heads up.

On that note, it bugs me that the text is that you apply the poison ... to the bow. :/

Jarlaxle said:
I'm a mage user primarily but I've been using the spell bound sword quite a bit. I notice my conjuration levels up by conjuring the sword but my 1 handed fighting also levels up as well. If I use perk points on 1 handed fighting will it increase the damage I do with the bound weapon or is that tied only to conjuration? Any clues?

Conjuration skill should be tied to the baseDamage of the Sword and One-Handed skill (or Two-Handed, Archery for those weapons) adjusts how much of that value you get. The perks do apply as well.

Raxus

Colkate said:
That and I believe leveling really slows down after 50.
I was going to say. I have two skills at level 100 and I skyrocketed to level 42 and all my other skills are below or WAY below 70 (Most are ~50). Even with 250 perks and no respec system in the game yet it is still really easy to get everything you want. Most of your points will be invested in enchanting (or alchemy if you want to play that way) and your primary weapon tree (magic, one handed, archery, or two handed) and the rest going to basic skills like speechcraft and armor.

iNvid02

just laying out a little guide for myself so i dont get overwhelmed, this game is massive

essential stuff
Main Quest – pg 120-154
Companion Quest – pg 155-169
Thieves Quest – pg196-231
Winterhold College – pg 171-195
Dark Brotherhood – pg 233-260
Imperial Civil War – pg 261-279

other quests
Daedric Quests – pg 293-321
Greybeards Quests – pg322-323
Blades Quests – pg 323-325
Bards College Quests –pg 325-329
Temple Quests – pg330-335

side quests
Blood on the Ice – pg 339-342
Forbidden Legend – pg 342-345
Forsworn Conspiracy – pg 346-348
No one escapes Chida Mine – pg348-350
The Golden Claw – pg 350-352
In my time of Need – pg352-353
Kynes Sacred Trials – pg 354-355
Laid to rest pg 355-357
Lights out! – pg 357-358
Man who cried Wolf – pg 359
The Wolf queen awakened – pg 360-361
Missing in Action – pg 361-362
Promises to keep – pg 363-364
A return to your roots – pg 364-365
Rise in the east – pg 365-366
Rising at dawn – pg 367
Unfathomable Depths – pg 368-369
The White Phial – pg 369-370
Repairing the Phial – pg 370-371
Captured Critters – pg 371-372
Forgemasters fingers – pg 372
Great skyrim treasure hunt – pg 373-374
Masks of the dragon priests – pg 375-376

^^ thats excluding the dungeon quests, the miscellanous objectives pileup and other small things
like doing favours (collecting stuff, bringing it back) and obtaining thane titles etc.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
found a full set of Blade Armor in the haven temple from one of the main missions. In a room off to the side. High level armor as well as a sword called Dragonblade, that does extra damage to dragons.

Raxus

CHEEZMO™ said:
What button do you use to pick stuff up and move it around on 360?

Can you move bodies?
R3? It is the only button I can think of that isn't utilized in the game. I haven't tried to move anything however so the feature could be out of the 360/PS3.

zon

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I got my PC copy today and when I pop the game into my dvd drive it says the disk is blank. Am I supposed to download the whole fucking game through steam or some shit?

I've seen people talk about siding with one faction or another - is that something that develops for everyone during the main quest? Or is it completely optional (and could be missed)? I'm pretty early in the game (just met
the Greybeards
) but haven't had this happen yet.

xxczx

wtf and cool moment in one.

I got to some location on the top of a waterfall, it was marked on the map so I thought it's something important. My companion walked to the edge and said something about the view so I was like 'it's your time to die', saved and shouted him off. I watched him fall and he didn't land in the water but on some rocks. I didn't want him to die of course; that's why I saved it. I jumped off into the water, got out and there was a ghost waiting. He was a bard and he was talking about something and my speech increased, looked around and he was gone.
Btw, my companion was still alive, amazingly.

coopolon

Alchemy is far and away the worst crafting to level up. I have been picking up almost every ingredient I see for the first like 35 hours and rarely making potions, just throwing them into my ingredient sack in my house.

Just now took like 10 minutes to make a ton of potions. Made every potion I could, only went from 40 to 60 alchemy.

Different potions level it up significantly differently. I guess it's just the more powerful the potion, the more you level up maybe? Making potions with double properties level it up WAY faster than single.

Edit: But even when making single propery potions, two different restore health could be very different how much xp they give you.

Dresden said:
It'd work if Elsweyr was settled or in the process of being settled by Aldmeri colonists.

Somewhere desert-ish would be cool too - maybe some love given to Redguard lands.
The land of lolcats, pickpockets, and drug dealers. No thanks.

Sorry I had a bad experience with Khajiit, so I'm a little racist.

aku08

so i found this dog
meeko
that started following me. i left him in my breeze home with lydia. after a couple of game days, a guard came up to me and said "you and your companion need to control your dog, his howling is getting out of hand." lol these kinds of little details make this game soooo good.

Gravijah

question regarding the radiant quests, dark brotherhood spoilers

when i kill people for the night mother, are new npcs spawned in their place? like, if i continue to do it, my towns aren't gonna permanently drop in population, right?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Frillen said:
Where can I get/buy stronger magic spells (destruction)?
You can either buy them from the wizard in Dragonreach, or from one of the wizards at the College in Winterhold.

Woorloog

Banned
Gotta start third, err, fourth character. I got bored with my first (a Nord warrior) as i thought i had made some wrong skill and perk choices. My second was an Orc warrior, similar to the first but some changes. Nothing wrong with it, but got bored of melee, as much as i like it and its brutality. Third didn't get farther than Riverwood, an Altmer Mage whom i need to rethink. So... Going to make my fourth one soon. But who it'll be?
Here are some concepts i wrote down:
--
Nord Barbarian
Two handed (sword), light armor, speech, sneak?

High Elf Priestess
Speech, Restoration, Illusion, Alteration, Alchemy? Companions conduct most combat along with Illusion spells.

Dunmer Assassin/Thief
One Handed, Pickpocket, Sneak, Light Armor, Alchemy, Archery

Dunmer Battlemage (Vampire for some time maybe?)
Heavy Armor, Smithing, Enchanting, Destruction, Conjuration, uses Bound Sword and staves as well.
--
As you see, the Nord is rather Conan the Barbarian-like but won't be playing that one anytime soon, as i said i got bored of melee.
Currently thinking about Dunmer assassin as i like sneaking around but Dunmer battlemage would be very interesting; Dual wielding fire spells while charging in clad in Daedric armor would be very nice...
Also have this Khajiit warrior/trader idea but don't want to play it yet.

Gravijah

Woorloog said:
Gotta start third, err, fourth character. I got bored with my first (a Nord warrior) as i thought i had made some wrong skill and perk choices. My second was an Orc warrior, similar to the first but some changes. Nothing wrong with it, but got bored of melee, as much as i like it and its brutality. Third didn't get farther than Riverwood, an Altmer Mage whom i need to rethink. So... Going to make my fourth one soon. But who it'll be?
--
Nord Barbarian
Two handed, light armor, nord, speech, sneak?

High Elf Priestess
Speech, Restoration, Illusion, Alteration, Alchemy? Companions conduct most combat along with Illusion spells.

Dunmer Assassin/Thief

Heavy Armor, Smithing, Enchanting, Destruction, Conjuration, uses Bound Sword and staves as well.
--
As you see, the Nord is rather Conan the Barbarian-like but won't be playing that one anytime soon, as i said i got bored of melee.
Currently thinking about Dunmer assassin as i like sneaking around but Dunmer battlemage would be very interesting; Dual wielding fire spells while charging in clad in Daedric armor would be very nice...

just make sure you have your perk tree planned ahead so you know what you'll be getting.

Dresden

Woorloog said:
--
Nord Barbarian

High Elf Priestess

Dunmer Assassin/Thief

An assassin is probably the most fun playstyle in the game, at least in my opinion. Something about those throat-slitting animations.

Davedough

Woorloog said:
--
Nord Barbarian

High Elf Priestess

Dunmer Assassin/Thief

--
I'm playing that exact Dunmer battle mage concept with a tad if sneak mixed in. I love my character

Woorloog

Banned
Gravijah said:
just make sure you have your perk tree planned ahead so you know what you'll be getting.
The first thing i need to do is to decide whom i play, then i'll think the perks. For dunmer they're easy: A lot in sneak, 3 or so in one handed, half of the archery perks, a lot of pickpocket ones, the rest in light armor and alchemy (if i bother with that).
EDIT LOL@3 people quoting my post. Gives a wall of text a new meaning...
EDIT2, really hard to decide beetween Dunmer characters. I really like that race and both styles appeal to me a lot.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Woorloog said:
--
Nord Barbarian

High Elf Priestess

Dunmer Assassin/Thief

--

I got something around the battlemage. I use Conjuration, One-Handed, Enchanting, Alteration, and Restoration though. No need for armor and shit with your great pets and the alteration skins and heals. No need for enchanting because the mage quest fulfills all my needs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What is this about PS3 save issues? I'm just starting the game on PS3 now.

scy

Dresden said:
An assassin is probably the most fun playstyle in the game, at least in my opinion. Something about those throat-slitting animations.

Sneak sneak sneak sneak sneak sneak sneak

By the time the character really came into power for me, I was really burned out on sneaking everywhere :/ But that's more my fault for hoarding perk points and no good tradeskill stuff on that character.

Zeliard

Rant into a nasty bug where my follower was stuck in combat mode with no enemies around and wouldn't respond to anything. Had to go into the console and "move" her to my location to fix it; tried killing/resurrecting her through the console at first but that removed everything I stored on her.

Waiting for three+ in-game days didn't have her reset as it normally would, so if that happens on consoles I don't think there's a fix.

Cudder

How many abilities are you guys focusing on leveling up with perks?

I'm pretty much only trying to upgrade my Speech, One-Hand weapons, Two-Hand weapons, and Destruction magic.

Just wondering what you guys are doing with your characters.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Great, I'm on PS3, as soon as I get off the cart at the start before the execution the game froze for like 10 seconds. Why? This is not a good start!

Plasmid said:
I want to say its that each save just makes it bigger, which bogs the game down.

It slows down the game??

xxczx

Ether_Snake said:
Some people get it, some people don't.
My save sizes are about 10MB each now, no problems.
subversus said:
lol, Makrath is quite a town. Had to run from there. Archmages don't work in mines.
The house there is so good. It's about 10,000 including the upgrades.

Cudder

Ether_Snake said:
Great, I'm on PS3, as soon as I get off the cart at the start before the execution the game froze for like 10 seconds. Why? This is not a good start!

It slows down the game??
Same thing happened to me at the start. And apparently a bug makes it so that the game slows down the bigger your save file gets (it gets bigger naturally). My save is almost 5MB and I've been noticing some slowdown, but I'm not sure if it's the save file or just the environments straining the system.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
prowler_ said:
The house there is so good. It's about 10,000 including the upgrades.

the town looks stunning but people living there are shit, there are ghosts in the basement and I have the Archmage suite on the top of the College tower for free. No thanks, next time may be.

redhot_

Ether_Snake said:

Got a 11MB save and after a few hours i cant even walk.. and i think a few quests for the Daedric are not working.

ToD_

If I use the console command to move a few perks around will it break the game in any way? And will I lose achievements? I don't mean to completely respec my character but I regret putting a few points in 1 handed weapons, which I don't think I'll be using after all.

zon said:
I tried that but it still won't install from the disk, thanks for trying to help though. There's nothing wrong with my dvd drive either, I put in GTA4 and the drive found that disk without problems.

I'll just have to let it download during work tomorrow.

just make sure you're path is correct, for me on win7 steam is installed into "program files (x86)", and not into plain "program files". It took me a few mins before I realized that when I copied their command and just changed the drive letters. EX...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Vect said:
Man the respite perk for Restoration is awesome. Healing spells will heal your stamina for the same amount, very useful.
There are a lot of good utility perks smattered around in the caster trees. Atronach, for instance, gives you 30% spell absorption, which is not only 30% reduction of spell damage taken but also gives you mana back whenever you take spell damage. There's also a skill in restoration that basically lets you cheat death once per day passively.

TheExodu5

Banned
ToD_ said:
If I use the console command to move a few perks around will it break the game in any way? And will I lose achievements? I don't mean to completely respec my character but I regret putting a few points in 1 handed weapons, which I don't think I'll be using after all.

Nope. I moved some points around because I decided they were totally useless (such as the lockpicking perks). No issues with achievements and the like since.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
redhot_ said:
Got a 11MB save and after a few hours i cant even walk.. and i think a few quests for the Daedric are not working.

There is no way around that?

If this happens to me, I'm selling the game.

They better fix this.

HTuran

EschatonDX said:
the best light armor is dragon scale.

Strongly disagreed on fur armor, not for me.
Cheers for the help. So the best armour would be Legendary Dragonscale?

Best looking is obviously hugely subjective :) Never been a fan of big flashy armour or cloaks.

Plasmid

Lydia died to the frost troll near the embassy, I had to loot her body after killing the troll. Now when I get home I have to walk to the nearest town etc to bank or sell :(((.

Poor Lydia.

Also, how much is the house in whiterun and who do I talk to to buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom