• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheExodu5 said:
Nope. I moved some points around because I decided they were totally useless (such as the lockpicking perks). No issues with achievements and the like since.
Oh god, the lockpicking perks. Some of them look vaguely interesting (like the 50% better chance of finding items) but then you realize that if you come to near the end of the Thieves Guild missions but don't complete them you get to keep
the skeleton key which permanently trivializes lockpicking.
Even without it I had over 100 lockpicks at all times so at best the tree was a matter of convenience.

ToD_

TheExodu5 said:
Nope. I moved some points around because I decided they were totally useless (such as the lockpicking perks). No issues with achievements and the like since.
Excellent. Thanks!

HTuran

krameriffic said:
Oh god, the lockpicking perks. Some of them look vaguely interesting (like the 50% better chance of finding items) but then you realize that if you come to near the end of the Thieves Guild missions but don't complete them you get to keep
the skeleton key which permanently trivializes lockpicking.
Even without it I had over 100 lockpicks at all times so at best the tree was a matter of convenience.
The
skeleton key
is kind of useless, as lockpicks are abundant and master locks take like what, 5 at most. Why didn't you chose the other rewards? Just curious.

Have anyone's wedding ceremony been crashed by a dead Lydia? Mine did which caused my wife to think I didn't appear at the ceremony. Lydia's dead body just teleported there and everyone freaked out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
redhot_ said:
Resetting the game sometimes helps. Don't sell the game though...

I'm not gonna put countless hours into a game only for it to punch me in the face.

Gravijah

lockpicking has the 50% more "special items" perk and the more gold perk. those seem relatively useful. the rest are pretty useless.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
What the fuck man, I killed 4 dragons on the plains near Whiterun in a time span of 20 minutes. They're getting a bit too frequent for my taste.

Cudder said:
How many abilities are you guys focusing on leveling up with perks?

I'm pretty much only trying to upgrade my Speech, One-Hand weapons, Two-Hand weapons, and Destruction magic.

Just wondering what you guys are doing with your characters.
A lot. One handed, destruction, sneak, light armor, enchanting, smithing and restoration. Enchanting and smithing feels like cheating because they provide you with such ridiculously good items with very little effort, stuff that won't start to drop in game until level 30+ and you can easily max them out by probably 15-20.

Philthy

HTuran said:
The
skeleton key
is kind of useless, as lockpicks are abundant and master locks take like what, 25 at most. Why didn't you chose the other rewards? Just curious.

Fixed that for you. Master locks have a really small percentage of degree you need to find and you can only try two times with one lockpick. If you've got 180 degrees, it may take you 16+ lockpicks before you find that small window. The window is larger depending on your skill obviously, but it isn't that trivial at lower levels.

Esch

Banned
-Yeti said:
Have anyone's wedding ceremony been crashed by a dead Lydia? Mine did which caused my wife to think I didn't appear at the ceremony. Lydia's dead body just teleported there and everyone freaked out.
laugh.gif

HTuran said:
The
skeleton key
is kind of useless, as lockpicks are abundant and master locks take like what, 5 at most. Why didn't you chose the other rewards? Just curious.
Because I already don't use about 90% of my abilities and the
Nightingale agent abilities
didn't seem that useful either. Like I said, I had plenty of lockpicks as well, but it's even easier and faster to pick them when your pick never breaks.

ced

Gravijah said:
lockpicking has the 50% more "special items" perk and the more gold perk. those seem relatively useful. the rest are pretty useless.

Yeah especially the makes so and so difficulty easier, I think those perks are broken, they don't seem to make them easier.

Lockpicking without being hidden is nice too.

thundr51

anybody know of a safe place to stash loot while earning money for the house in Whiterun? I've got about 3k so far and sold everything that I couldn't use/want. I joined the companions and they showed me the bedrooms, is it safe to store stuff in one of the chests there?

TekDragon

Banned
I'm going to say that modding this game into a "perfect" state isn't going to be that difficult for the modding community.

Really the only thing I can see the game needing is a re-tuning of perks so that some things (like smithing and enchanting) are brought down a peg and other things (speech and lockpick) are brought up.

Cudder said:

I'm pretty much only trying to upgrade my Speech, One-Hand weapons, Two-Hand weapons, and Destruction magic.

Archery, Illusion, Alchemy, and Alteration in that order

I'm a Wood Elf that wears light armor, carries around a Bow and a Sword/Shield in-case shit really hits the fan. I sneak all the time despite not having any perks in it thanks to Illusion spells like Muffle. Archery makes up practically all of my direct damage output. Detect Life keeps fools from getting a drop on me. Besides sneaking around and wrecking dudes from afar I Charm everyone, if I don't take a bad guy out first shot he's usually immediately charmed and killed with a second arrow. If there are two or more enemies you can expect a massive bloodbath when I drop my Frenzy spells in on the group and watch them tear each other apart. When it comes to close combat, especially when enemies are strong and unaffected by my Illusion spells, my vast array of potions keeps me fighting and resilient and my alteration skills pumps up my light armor to massive numbers. I usually continue pumping arrows into them but if I'm backed into a corner and my shouts are down the sword and board might be my best hope.

I'm level 21 now, I have something like 340 MP, 190 HP, and 120 Stamina.

Tenck

thundr51 said:
anybody know of a safe place to stash loot while earning money for the house in Whiterun? I've got about 3k so far and sold everything that I couldn't use/want. I joined the companions and they showed me the bedrooms, is it safe to store stuff in one of the chests there?

I wouldn't leave it anywhere besides your house. I left my stuff in the Winterhold college and everyone helped themselves to my stuff. Was supposedly my room, but nobody seemed to care.

KorrZ

Well 40 hours, level 30 and with a 13mb save. The Ps3 version is almost unplayable :( the frame rate has become so bad constantly that it's like a slideshow, completely ruining any sense of immersion in the game and making the combat beyond frustrating. For now, it's mainly limited to in cities and out in the world, in dungeons the framerate is okay. But I just know the longer I go on it's just going to get worse and worse.

So question GAF, should I get rid of the PS3 copy and switch to 360, or try and wait for a patch in the hopes that they'll fix it.

I'm really hesistant to lose 40 hours of gameplay especially when i have 80 destruction, 90 enchanting and 100 smithing and many other skills in their 50's but at the same time I don't want to put anymore time into it if I know I'm going to have to restart :(

HTuran

Philthy said:
Fixed that for you. Master locks have a really small percentage of degree you need to find and you can only try two times with one lockpick. If you've got 180 degrees, it may take you 16+ lockpicks before you find that small window. The window is larger depending on your skill obviously, but it isn't that trivial at lower levels.
Come now, really? I get way more than 2 tries per pick. I can find the right area with 2 picks, get the right direction with another, and hone in with 1 more. One of the things I like most about Lockpicking is that you actually get better at it in real life, not just in the game.

krameriffic said:
Because I already don't use about 90% of my abilities and the
Nightingale agent abilities
didn't seem that useful either. Like I said, I had plenty of lockpicks as well, but it's even easier and faster to pick them when your pick never breaks.
Yeah, fair enough. I use the
Nightingale Clock power
, which is ridiculously overpowered.
Activate it, slit someone's throat, activate it again to become hidden, repeat for 120s.
I guess part of me is a little jealous that I can't get the key back :)

thundr51

Tenck said:
I wouldn't leave it anywhere besides your house. I left my stuff in the Winterhold college and everyone helped themselves to my stuff. Was supposedly my room, but nobody seemed to care.

Ok, anybody know of a quick way to get some cash? the bones/scales of 2 dragons is KILLING ME. Only need about 2k more...

aku08

Tenck said:

this really worries me, cant wait to get home from work to check if my stuff is still in the college room, i left some of my dragon bones / scales in there :( i just thought it was the closest safe place to stash those heavy loot, didnt want to run all the way back to whiterun.

TekDragon said:
I'm going to say that modding this game into a "perfect" state isn't going to be that difficult for the modding community.

Really the only thing I can see the game needing is a re-tuning of perks so that some things (like smithing and enchanting) are brought down a peg and other things (speech and lockpick) are brought up.
I still feel like the level scaling is too prevalent. I'm getting that thing from Oblivion where every random bandit I run into on the road is wearing ebony armor and wielding magical weapons. Also, I've very rarely encountered unique and interesting fights in dungeons that weren't part of a quest. The hardest enemy I've fought in the game was this magic immune douche at the end of a retardedly long dungeon for one of the Daedric artifacts, but I never seem to encounter anything that cool in random dungeons that I just dive into.

TekDragon

Banned
Cudder said:

Leveling and perking archery, light armor, sneak, smith, alchemy, and enchanting.

Leveling without perks lockpick and speech.

I cannot imagine playing this game on anything other than PC. I am so f'ing glad I was able to move some perks out of the useless lockpick tree and into something useful.

Tenck

thundr51 said:
Ok, anybody know of a quick way to get some cash? the bones/scales of 2 dragons is KILLING ME. Only need about 2k more...

You can pickpocket stuff, and I believe you can sell it to the thieves in riften. Haven't tried it out, but I hear they're the only ones who buy your stolen items.

aasoncott

So, I hadn't even made it out of the first town before I was jumped by three bandits who were there to stop my dirty thieving ways. But I had never been caught stealing. Is this normal? Do you get a reputation as a thief even if no one sees you?

A few hours later I've had a few companions join me for a bit -- do companions ever get more interesting? Do any of them have personal quests? The few I've had have just been robots.

TekDragon

Banned
krameriffic said:
I still feel like the level scaling is too prevalent. I'm getting that thing from Oblivion where every random bandit I run into on the road is wearing ebony armor and wielding magical weapons. Also, I've very rarely encountered unique and interesting fights in dungeons that weren't part of a quest. The hardest enemy I've fought in the game was this magic immune faggot at the end of a retardedly long dungeon for one of the Daedric artifacts, but I never seem to encounter anything that cool in random dungeons that I just dive into.

I don't disagree with you that the leveling system could use some tweaking.

But are you really having those problems? I'm in my mid-30's and all the bandits I run into are using iron/steel weapons with fur/leather armor. It's only the chieftans inside the bandit caves that have plated steel armor and even they use steel weapons, although they do sometimes have a elven/glass dagger.

syllogism

I wonder if (Dark brotherhood spoilers, sort of)
the torture chamber where you can actually torture people until they reveal treasure locations
was inspired by certain morrowind/oblivion mods

TekDragon

Banned
HTuran said:
Come now, really? I get way more than 2 tries per pick. I can find the right area with 2 picks, get the right direction with another, and hone in with 1 more. One of the things I like most about Lockpicking is that you actually get better at it in real life, not just in the game.

While I'm not AS good as HTuran, he's right. You can get way more than 2 tries per pick. I typically find the master lock sweet spots within 3-4 picks, and I'm in my low 60's for lockpicking. I picked one when I was in the mid-20's and it only took me 6-7 lockpicks to find the spot.

ttocs

aasoncott said:
So, I hadn't even made it out of the first town before I was jumped by three bandits who were there to stop my dirty thieving ways. But I had never been caught stealing. Is this normal? Do you get a reputation as a thief even if no one sees you?

A few hours later I've had a few companions join me for a bit -- do companions ever get more interesting? Do any of them have personal quests? The few I've had have just been robots.
Same thing happened to me. There was a funny post on reddit the other day about who sent the bandits after you. In this persons note, it was the little girl who runs around the town who wants you to play hide and seek.

Tenck

Plasmid said:
There's a patch incoming, announced today.

Is there anyway we can patch our game on the PS3 if it's not connected to the internet? My PS3 wont connect to my modem even though my laptop connects to it :/

I've also used the ethernet cable with my PS3 before. Don't know what's wrong now :'(

FWIW, alchemy is a gold machine. I'm only level 38 or 39 with it, and can easily generate as much money as needed - all of this with only 2 or 3 points put into the tree.

Go buy cheap (<15 gold) materials from the major ingredient vendors, then go mix the most valuable ones that offer fortification or resistance to something. They're usually worth 100 gold a pop and wholesale cost (to you) usually is between 5 gold and 25 tops.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
TekDragon said:

also Dragons should be Dragons, not fire-breathing pigeons.

Cheeto

subversus said:
lol, Makrath is quite a town. Had to run from there. Archmages don't work in mines.
I did the conspiracy quest line that seems to start when you first enter the town and
while following it, they murder the guy that gives me the note at the start and I go to jail, escape from jail and slaughter all the guards and work up max bounty by the time I'm out of the city.... I hope there's nothing else to do there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Plasmid said:
There's a patch incoming, announced today.

Did they said it would fix the save issue on PS3?

Tenck said:
Is there anyway we can patch our game on the PS3 if it's not connected to the internet? My PS3 wont connect to my modem even though my laptop connects to it :/

I've also used the ethernet cable with my PS3 before. Don't know what's wrong now :'(

Try to look for info on Google. I had trouble figuring out how to connect to my router originally. Should be a way to make it work.

There was a day one patch too, so it's worth getting.

Chairhome

Funny thing happened last night. I got off my horse and he zoomed away like he was being high speed tractor beamed to somewhere else. I haven't tried to fast travel after that, so I hope he shows back up...

Acidote said:
I'm at the end of
Shroud Hearth Barrow
and there's a place I want to get and I don't know how to or even if I can:

http://i.imgur.com/L76dR.jpg

Yes, I have to remove Steam notifications, it's set up to the same button as Fraps.

I remember this very well and I wasn't able to figure out a way to get there sadly. Maybe someone else has had some luck.

Go back with a companion, jump on companion's head, jump on platform?

eznark

Banned
So, is there a noticeable difference in movement speed with light v. heavy armor? I'm still fairly early (only level 8) but I can't really see a reason why I wouldn't want the toughest armor at this point, despite the fact that I am sneaking around and arrowing fools. The heavier armor hasn't seemed to have much of a negative impact.

JWong

Banned
Is there a way to get rid of corpses?

I have 3 corpses in the thieves guild that are very annoying to look at when I go in.

Also have 2 dragon corpses in front of a palace in Solitude that are just jittering about.

Gravijah

Acidote said:
I'm at the end of
Shroud Hearth Barrow

Yes, I have to remove Steam notifications, it's set up to the same button as Fraps.

there's a shout that
makes you run very fast
, you can use that to get there.

edit: you get that shout relatively early into the main quest.

markot

Banned
Doodis said:
How do I increase how much I can carry?
There are potions that do it temporarily, there are boots that have enchants that do it abit too, but I think when you increase stamina as you level up it also increases how much you can carry. (Think!)

kendrid

Banned
ElyrionX said:
No one "took" your stuff. It just disappeared. My guess is, it will happen to stuff in your own homes as well. This was a known bug in Oblivion and Fallout 3 as well.

Bethesda (TM)

The game manual does say that your home is the only safe place to store items.

But yeah, it is probably a bug.

BeeDog

Acidote said:
I'm at the end of
Shroud Hearth Barrow

You will get a shout that will enable you to cross the gap.

EDIT: beaten by gravity.

webrunner

JWong said:
Is there a way to get rid of corpses?

I have 3 corpses in the thieves guild that are very annoying to look at when I go in.

Also have 2 dragon corpses in front of a palace in Solitude that are just jittering about.

I dunno about the dragon corpses (try shouting?) but you can hold down 'pick up' on a corpse to go into "drag around" mode to pick up items or drag corpses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom