• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Man, those Draugr Death Overlords don't play around. Just had a tough but awesome fight against one at level 17, on Master difficulty.

Easily the toughest fight I've had so far in the game, though I haven't faced any dragons past the basic brown ones (outside of that first named one). This guy was the first enemy to continuously send my follower to their knees. He was also one-shotting me even with Stoneflesh on. He ended up dropping an Ebony Sword.

scy

Davedough said:
Are 3 ingredients the norm? I was combining 2 and the "Craft" icon would light up. That could be why each one of my attempts failed.

If you go all the way with Alchemy, there's no reason to not use 3 basically all the time. It's only iffy when you start making good Potions ... with downsides due to the ingredients also giving you Damage Health or something on the Potion (or buffs on your Poisons).

Einbroch

Banned
Cudder said:
Wait a minute, does leveling an ability even do anything to that ability to make it better, or do you have to perk it up for any difference to be had?

Example, is level 20 sneak the same as a level 50 sneak, without any perks? All the level does is make it possible to upgrade your ability further, right? Or am I wrong?
A higher level skill does make the skill better.

Level 60 Destruction would have lower magicka costs than a level 20 Destruction character, even without perks. The higher the sneak, the better you are at it. And so on.

kodt

Banned
Cudder said:
Wait a minute, does leveling an ability even do anything to that ability to make it better, or do you have to perk it up for any difference to be had?

Example, is level 20 sneak the same as a level 50 sneak, without any perks? All the level does is make it possible to upgrade your ability further, right? Or am I wrong?

I heard someone say that only the perks affect the skill and not the level but I'm not sure if that is actually correct.

Playing on consoles--can anyone help with this issue:

I'm a bow user and I need distance and surprise in order to be effective. However, when I'm wandering around in the world I don't have any way to tell if people I see in the distance are hostile or neutral. My choices are to either approach them to chat, only to find out they are hostile and completely lose my stealth and distance advantage, or to just start shooting from a distance--and discover that they weren't bad after all.

How do others deal with this--am I missing some random "identify target" feature? I dislike saving before every random encounter "just in case."

Ceebs

kodt said:
I heard someone say that only the perks affect the skill and not the level but I'm not sure if that is actually correct.
If that were case then magic is pretty much broken at higher levels since all the spells have a set damage amount that is only modified by the % enchantments.

webrunner

Cudder said:

as you level, eg, lockpicking, you'll find they get easier even without the "makes it easier" perk.

Otherwise gloves like "+15 lockpicking" would be totally useless.

Zeliard

It feels like Destruction magic gets more powerful as you skill up but it's hard to quantify (without just testing through the console by giving yourself tons of skill points, I guess).

kodt

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

I'm a bow user and I need distance and surprise in order to be effective. However, when I'm wandering around in the world I don't have any way to tell if people I see in the distance are hostile or neutral. My choices are to either approach them to chat, only to find out they are hostile and completely lose my stealth and distance advantage, or to just start shooting from a distance--and discover that they weren't bad after all.

How do others deal with this--am I missing some random "identify target" feature? I dislike saving before every random encounter "just in case."

Yeah I have the same issue.

One thing to look for is red dots up on your compass, those indicate enemies.

Sometimes I just quicksave, run up and see, and if they are bad I reload and shoot them while hidden :\

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
cartoon_soldier said:
So outside soltitude where the DB initiation happens this 8 legged chitin monster thingy keeps two-shotting me with its spit. How the hell do you guys deal with this thing? And its like an open swamp, hard to find places to play hide and seek.

Time to bring back Lydia maybe...lol

I suck at this game

charous?

those things are ridiculous. I can't imagine ever beating them without a pet and a very powerful staff.

Hex

Banned
Soooooo my PS3 is starting to not read discs.
If I spend an hour taking it out and putting it in (STAMINA BABY!!) it will eventually work (at least it did last night, that is the longest yet) but I have a feeling that it is only a matter of time.
The question is, to buy new or to get repaired....(Any downsides to the new systems?)

I will NOT be without Skyrim this weekend.

Seanspeed

Banned
Zeliard said:
It feels like Destruction magic gets more powerful as you skill up but it's hard to quantify (without just testing through the console by giving yourself tons of skill points, I guess).
I know that with increases in Alchemy level, your potions and poisons get stronger without adding any perks. Its small increases, but they are there.

I dont know about the other skills.

Blizzard

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

The red compass dots are one way, but my eventual plan (which may be impossible, I dunno) is to learn stealth invisibility stuff so I can sneak in, identify people, then sneak back out to range.

I guess the compass is cheating, and I might try turning it off for immersion, but the red dots are a helpful warning to me. =P

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
RFc3U.jpg

NUIYi.jpg

Such a great dungeon. I don't need fantastic textures with this design, dammit.

scy

Zeliard said:

Destruction spells are set damage. They don't scale at all as far as I've been able to tell. Your skill level does adjust their cost, however.

Acidote

BeeDog said:
You will get a shout that will enable you to cross the gap.

EDIT: beaten by gravity.

I got there before that shout, in fact
I have only killed the first dragon :/

Is that a good reward or can I forget about it?

ced

Blizzard said:
The red compass dots are one way, but my eventual plan (which may be impossible, I dunno) is to learn stealth invisibility stuff so I can sneak in, identify people, then sneak back out to range.

I guess the compass is cheating, and I might try turning it off for immersion, but the red dots are a helpful warning to me. =P

Compass doesn't show them as red until your very close, so this is not helpful. I've yet to find any way around this but saving and then walking up to them, reload if their hostile, it really sucks.

Zeliard

scy said:
Destruction spells are set damage. They don't scale at all as far as I've been able to tell. Your skill level does adjust their cost, however.

Ah, good to know. Feels like I'm killing lower-level mobs quicker with the same spells as the game progresses but maybe I'm just imagining it. :p

Kuraudo

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I don't like that you can't see your character in the menus, like when equipping items.

And I still can't get used to pressing start for quests. I always press B first!

Just spin the camera around until you can see your character before opening the menu. It's not perfect but it gives you an idea of how the stuff looks.

I just got into the whole conjuring thing lately. I've got these two powerful staves (they come out when dragons come near) that destroy anything but they need a charge to work. So I bought the necessary spell, and now I've become the countryside terror for small and large animals. There's just something so awesome about sucking the souls from animals to charge my weapons. It's real satisfying.

ttocs

Kuraudo said:
Just spin the camera around until you can see your character before opening the menu. It's not perfect but it gives you an idea of how the stuff looks.
Yeah, I've been doing the same thing. It's not perfect but you can still get a feel for what you are wearing.

Dark Brotherhood help please
How did you kill Safia? I can kill her but then 5 of her friends come and one is a super mage doing massive aoe firebolts that one to two shot me

HTuran

For anyone confused about item storage, the only safe place is your house. I had a loading screen message warning me that items stored in public chests can get stolen.

Then again, people are saying that your house can be burgled...

ced said:
Compass doesn't show them as red until your very close, so this is not helpful. I've yet to find any way around this but saving and then walking up to them, reload if their hostile, it really sucks.
Ya, that's the thing--that compass isn't real helpful from a proper bow distance.

ShogunX

finowns said:
Should I pay the 5000 to get a house?

Well my plan is to keep all of the items I want to sell safely stored away in the house until I become better at Speech and can get a better price for each stored item.

scy said:

I hope so. I have the Fireball spell and it takes 80% of my mana. Have 200, lvl 8 with Destruction at 45+. It's actually a pretty worthless spell for me right now. I have robes that give me 75% faster mana regen and something else that gives me 25% and I cast one and boom, all of my mana is gone and I'm stuck running around rocks for hours until it recharges.

I'm really thinking either I completely fucked up my perks so far, a co-worker is about the same level and he says he can get 2-4 of them off double casting.

Why is my mana being drained so much? Am I missing a perk or something?

Blizzard

Banned
HTuran said:
For anyone confused about item storage, the only safe place is your house. I had a loading screen message warning me that items stored in public chests can get stolen.

If anyone burgles my house, my normally fairly peaceful character is going to (hopefully) dish out some punishment. Any confirmation? :mad:

FStop7

Banned
finowns said:
Should I pay the 5000 to get a house?

Yes, it's a place where you can safely store all of your items without worry of theft.

I have the basic house in Whiterun. The chest upstairs in the bedroom contains all of my loot, ingredients, gold, etc.

With the alchemy lab installed downstairs I have 10 books on the bookshelf plus at least 50 more books in that chest, which is dedicated just for that purpose. I go out of my way to collect books in this game, I want to have a massive personal library by the time I'm finished.

AEREC

HTuran said:

oh...I have had some Dragon Bones stored in a barrel in Ivarstead...since they were to heavy to carry back to my house in Whiterun...that was way earlier in the game...I wonder if they are still there?

scy

flyinpiranha said:

Well, there is a perk that reduces the cost by half (the Novice, Apprentice, Adept, etc. perks). There's also an entire Enchantment modifier that reduces the cost of spells by a percentage that stacks additively for some bizarre reason; you'll sometimes see it randomly on equipment (Steel Helm of Major Restoration, for instance) and then there's the Chest version of the same Enchant that also grants Magicka Regen.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Is the Lady Stone the best stone to have activated for a warrior? It's the one that gives a 25% boost to health and stamina regeneration. The Steed Stone looks good, but I'm grabbing the perk that removes armor weight once my Heavy Armor reaches 70.

f0rk

flyinpiranha said:
I hope so. I have the Fireball spell and it takes 80% of my mana. Have 200, lvl 8 with Destruction at 45+. It's actually a pretty worthless spell for me right now. I have robes that give me 75% faster mana regen and something else that gives me 25% and I cast one and boom, all of my mana is gone and I'm stuck running around rocks for hours until it recharges.

I'm really thinking either I completely fucked up my perks so far, a co-worker is about the same level and he says he can get 2-4 of them off double casting.

Do you have all the "X level spells are half mana" perks?

The Lamonster said:
I don't like that you can't see your character in the menus, like when equipping items.

And I still can't get used to pressing start for quests. I always press B first!

I miss that too, but the third person camera is so much better in Skyrim so you can actually admire how bad ass your character is that way.

HTuran

Blizzard said:
If anyone burgles my house, my normally fairly peaceful character is going to (hopefully) dish out some punishment. Any confirmation? :mad:
According to Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/mb8la/massive_list_of_all_the_tips_and_tricks/c2zlpfj

Haven't had any issues in my game, but then my companion is always at home.

Off to go play. Those 73 iron daggers won't enchant themselves! Anyone have a good source of petty/lesser soul gems? Merchants only stock 1/2 at a time :(

Davedough

Choke on the Magic said:
I miss that too, but the third person camera is so much better in Skyrim so you can actually admire how bad ass your character is that way.

I actually wish I could fight that way, but I lose all sense of distance with my spells and such that it makes my aim way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom