• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

MasterShotgun said:
Is the Lady Stone the best stone to have activated for a warrior? It's the one that gives a 25% boost to health and stamina regeneration. The Steed Stone looks good, but I'm grabbing the perk that removes armor weight once my Heavy Armor reaches 70.

I'm using the Lord stone because mage type characters kick my ass with their spells. (I'm 2H heavy armour alchemist nord)

A lot better survivability because it reduces physical and magical damage taken. And I stack fire/frost resist potions on top of that if needed.

Zeliard

Companions can't die by the enemy's hands. They'll continually get on their knees if they take huge damage (you can heal them fairly quickly to stand them back up), but they can't actually die in combat unless you kill them yourself.

krameriffic said:
So it's official, smithing, enchanting and alchemy are retarded:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...ng-smithing-alchemy-enchanting-only-31-perks/

Feels like most things are meant to be insane at skill 100. With the magic spells, they cost literally 0 magicka once you get a certain perk at skill 100 in their respective trees.

Biggest balancing problem here is that you can get Smithing up to 100 early on and with ease.

TheKurgan

fastford58 said:
I am falling into the ES trap that I always do when playing these games. I spend ~80 hours doing guild and misc quests and by the time it comes for main quests, I am a god.

I just realized I'm 16 hours in and haven't even done any main quest stuff outside of the opening sequence lol. I haven't traveled out of the bottom right hand of the map at all.

Very easy to do in Bethesda's games. I played Morrowind for 200 hours without really touching the main quest. My advice, try to break the game up between characters. I figure between 3 seperate playthroughs (fighter/tank, Mage, and Theif/Assasin character) I will come across most of the locations in the game and complete most of the guild/side quests. No need to stop at every location or do every side quest with my first character.

ced

Phreaker said:
I thought there was some spell you could cast where enemies glowed one color and non-enemies another (detect life, maybe?)

Casting spells makes noise I think without a perk, and I've yet to see detect life, but this sounds like a good option to try.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm still surprised with all this time Bethesda still doesn't a great enemy scaling or weapon scaling system. I can't believe they didn't hand pick more items to place in specific points. Yeah, every players game will be different then, but at a cost where a large amount of people are giving a "WTF!?" to getting an iron sword at the end of a dungeon.

Davedough

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I had to drop 4 gold in Riften for like no reason one time when I emerged from the Flaggon. how do you find out why they're arresting you before you pay up? They never tell me.

There was no way of me knowing for sure, but I killed that damned chicken right before I went into town. Prior to that, I've been completely on the straight and narrow without stealing or causing a ruckus anywhere. I can only guess it was for my fowl murder because it was so cheap and I've really not done anything else that was bad.

Davedough said:
Are 3 ingredients the norm? I was combining 2 and the "Craft" icon would light up. That could be why each one of my attempts failed.
The third ingredient is completely optional and just used to add additional effects. Mixing three ingredients with Restore Health isn't any stronger than mixing two but it gives you more effects to mix and match.

It's also a good way to experiment without wasting materials. If you have a lot of ingredients for say... resist potions, it could be a good idea to occasionally throw in a third ingredient that you don't know all the effects for and see if any new one pops up. At worse you'll waste only a single ingredient or you could discover an effect and make a kick-ass potion combination, even if the new ingredient adds poison to your potion then you'll discover the effect plus get a good boost in your alchemy skill.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
B-Dex said:
I'm using the Lord stone because mage type characters kick my ass with their spells. (I'm 2H heavy armour alchemist nord)

A lot better survivability because it reduces physical and magical damage taken. And I stack fire/frost resist potions on top of that if needed.
You raise a good point. Mages give me a hell of a lot of trouble. The only thing is that I'm leveling Blocking and there is a perk that decreases fire, frost, and shock damage when my shield is raised. Plus my current shield already gives me +25% magic resistence (Shield of Ysgrimor). The only problem of course is when I try to dual wield weapons. I'll lose all of that magic resistance.

I'll have to think about it.

Alchemy said:
I'm confused, people didn't expect this? This is how both Morrowind and Oblivion worked. I was a flying fireball death machine in Morrowind because of madness with enchanting. And I loved it.

Wouldn't be a TES game without the ability to break it like this.

Really though, it hardly needs "balance" at all. It would be extremely difficult to give the player this many options while trying to keep everything balanced, and it's better to err on the the side of freedom even it it means you can become absurdly overpowered.

Derrick01

Banned
Just came across a
talking dog
that had a new york accent. Pretty cool, but it made me think of men in black for some reason.

He basically chastised me for my bewilderment by saying "so you're fighting giant flying lizards and talking with 2 legged cat men and I'M weird?". Touche sir...touche.

GenericUser

balddemon said:
for real. i always leave the main menu up a little extra so i can listen to it haha

--

so i sat down to do some homework, but then i read this thread, and now i'm gonna play skyrim. hw comes laterrrr

Seriously, if I come across the official OST someday, I'd definitly buy it at a high price. Have to check amazon, this shit is awesome.
Here is another great song, is this getting you guys in the mood or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssy9li4MCoQ

Sorry that I'm somewhat over-excited, but skyrim leaves me no other choice.

scy

webrunner said:
I still don't understand the situation in which Lydia can die to an enemy. But every time I've seen Lydia take a killing blow from an enemy she just gets back up in a few minutes, but when it's an accidental hit from you she just dies.

I've done about 5 hours of nothing but throwing Lydia at various things to see if they kill her. Area of Effect attacks, spells, etc. will not kill her. This is Giant swings, Dragon swipes, Dragon breaths, Mage spells (targeted, area of effect, and persistent ala Cloaks), and so-on. This applies when they're kneeling.

However, if they're hit by an attack that has a Lingering Damage effect, that ticks away even AFTER they kneel. This can outright kill them when they hit zero health. Falmer's seem to a bitch about this as they almost always have poisoned weapons in my terrible experience with them.

Beyond that, any attacking you do will outright kill them if it deals enough to them, kneeling immunity be damned.

Houston3000 said:
The third ingredient is completely optional and just used to add additional effects. Mixing three ingredients with Restore Health isn't any stronger than mixing two but it gives you more effects to mix and match.

I'm almost 100% certain that 3x Restore Health (or Damage Health, Ravage Health, and so-on) is better than 2x.

DangerStepp

Alchemy said:
I've gone through two horses and it sucked. I lost the first one walking into a bandit camp and expecting it to be a friendly location.

The second one was killed by some random forsworn, moments after helping me kill a dragon. He tanked it while I provided ranged DPS with my conjured bow. It was epic and I was horribly crushed when he died.

T.T
I haven't bought a horse yet and don't think I plan on it unless I'm absolutely swimming in gold for this reason alone.

I'm used to romping around on foot anyway since Oblivion.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is it supposed to be hard to find better weapons? I'm lv14 and still using a 2h sword that I found towards the beginning of the game.

I don't like crafting.

gblues

Banned
MacBosse said:
Ok so the dude at the bottom of the 7000 steps ...

Freakin' liar! "I've only battled with wolfs up there, nothing to challenging for the likes of you". Sweet! No ... So far I have met a ice sabre that kicked my ass, then a frost troll that kicked my ass and then a dragon swoops down and starts handing me my ass ...

Sigh, Skyrim how I love you.

This exact thing happened to me too.

Detailed version!

Attempt #1: No big deal, I'm reading the stations and digging the lore, talking to the pilgrims. I get to the station just below the ice troll, and I see the dragon's shadow sweep across, but it doesn't interrupt. I get to the ice troll, and it hands me my ass.

Attempt #2: Goes about the same as my first attempt, except this time the dragon spots me and decides to land. The dragon sets the poor pilgrim on fire and proceeds to kill me.

Attempt #3: Dragon spots me even earlier. Same result.

Attempt #4: At this point I start abusing quick save and save at each station. This time the dragon leaves me alone, and I sprint past the ice troll up the remaining stairs. At one point I attempted to go back down to read the stations I had to run past while being chased by the troll, but I ended up re-aggroing the ice troll so I gave up and didn't stop moving until I got to the graybeards' home.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have any idea to look up the organization ID#'s for console commands? Think I have a way to try and fix some marriage bugs.

Zeliard

Alchemy said:
I'm confused, people didn't expect this? This is how both Morrowind and Oblivion worked. I was a flying fireball death machine in Morrowind because of madness with enchanting. And I loved it.

Yeah with Morrowind in particular you could become laughably overpowered, and it was fun.

The problem in Skyrim is that you can get Smithing to 100 too easily. And if you do and you use it, it renders much of the loot in the game inconsequential even if you don't take Enchanting & Alchemy into account.

ok so I finally got the game from UPS and I am an all out sword swinger and agressive player who plays around with a few spells as backup. What sort of character should I chose

angelfly said:
I've only had one horse and was forced to put it down myself. I was attacking a bandit with the flame spell and it ran to attack it as well and caught some friendly fire and decided to turn on me.
All you have to do is sheath your weapon and the horse should stop attacking you. Worked in my case.

scy

planar1280 said:
but which character should I take? Nord or something else

Whatever you like the look of? If you want to min/max, whichever racial bonus you like the best (i.e., Nord Frost Resist, Dark Elf Fire Resist, Imperial AoE Calm, etc.)? There's no stat discrepancy and any skill difference is made up pretty fairly quickly anyway.

Aselith

SnakeswithLasers said:
Playing on consoles--can anyone help with this issue:

I'm a bow user and I need distance and surprise in order to be effective. However, when I'm wandering around in the world I don't have any way to tell if people I see in the distance are hostile or neutral. My choices are to either approach them to chat, only to find out they are hostile and completely lose my stealth and distance advantage, or to just start shooting from a distance--and discover that they weren't bad after all.

How do others deal with this--am I missing some random "identify target" feature? I dislike saving before every random encounter "just in case."
Get Detect Life. It shows hostiles as red.

Derrick01

Banned
I was just reminded why I love bethesda games. I found some random house in the woods with nothing really special inside, took some things for my journey. All of a sudden I noticed a little button half covered by a shelf, I hit it and it swung open leading to a cave that I'm still currently exploring so far. So random and unexpected, so awesome.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
revolverjgw said:
Creepy. There are two Louis Letrushes walking around outside Whiterun. They both look the same and say the same things.
Omg is that where he is? I have a bugged quest for him.

Gonna go check it out later after.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Ether_Snake said:
Anyone on that last point? Is there a sort of branching path established early on there?

Yes, you can choose.
But you need the quests.

This happens a bit into the game.
Talk to some Imperialists and I think they will tell you how you can join
-----
Edit:
I think you get the "join the imperialists/stormcloaks" quests immediately after escaping

Dresden

Dark Brotherhood (near end?) quest spoiler:

Posing as the Gourmet while being an Orc yourself led to some amusing dialogue.

Nose Master

Anyone else just girate while spamming Y to get over half the mountains in your way? I do this all the time, I'm half expecting to fall through the world one of these days.

Alchemy said:
The mechanics of this one are the problem. It's laughably easy to do it and its all based around equipping enchanted armor and using potions to improve your ability to improve your armor. It got me wondering, is there an enchantment for improving your enchantment skill? If so, what is to stop a player from enchanting a set of armor to improve enchantment, then using their new, higher enchantment skill to make a new set of better enchantment armor and repeating ad nauseum?

Wallach

krameriffic said:
The mechanics of this one are the problem. It's laughably easy to do it and its all based around equipping enchanted armor and using potions to improve your ability to improve your armor. It got me wondering, is there an enchantment for improving your enchantment skill? If so, what is to stop a player from enchanting a set of armor to improve enchantment, then using their new, higher enchantment skill to make a new set of better enchantment armor and repeating ad nauseum?

There are no enchantments that fortify enchantment, just like there are no potions that fortify alchemy.

This was not only possible in Morrowind it was even easier to do, because you could make potions that fortified intelligence. You could eventually make potions that increased stats by thousands upon thousands and had durations of years.

TekDragon

Banned
Nose Master said:
Anyone else just girate while spamming Y to get over half the mountains in your way? I do this all the time, I'm half expecting to fall through the world one of these days.

I fell through a floor once in a shop. After falling for a few seconds I just fell out of the ceiling, landed back where I was, and taking no damage.

The bug was handled so elegantly that I just shrugged it off and kept going. Looking back on it, it's kind of amusing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Blizzard said:
The red compass dots are one way, but my eventual plan (which may be impossible, I dunno) is to learn stealth invisibility stuff so I can sneak in, identify people, then sneak back out to range.

I guess the compass is cheating, and I might try turning it off for immersion, but the red dots are a helpful warning to me. =P

Isn't there a spell somewhere that you cast and the enemies show in red? I saw it in the demo, what tree is that in? Or can you get a book with it?

Wallach said:
There are no enchantments that fortify enchantment, just like there are no potions that fortify alchemy.

This was not only possible in Morrowind it was even easier to do, because you could make potions that fortified intelligence. You could eventually make potions that increased stats by thousands upon thousands and had durations of years.

And it was awesome. If I'm The Telvani Grandmaster I deserve to have crazy overpowered shit. Just like I should have in Skyrim. And as far as smithing goes its the person's own fault if they abuse the leveling system and don't have any worthwhile loot.

Dresden

A lot of the talk about balance just kinda seems off to me, in a game like this. There's no multiplayer to worry about and Morrowind / Oblivion was probably worse.

I guess smithing is a bit too easy to level up, but then, the alternative is to make it a total slog.

Davedough

Had a bug last night after turning in a quest for The Companions where the path to the blacksmith guy behind The Companions hangout was gone and there was nothing but empty purple space. I walked in it and began floating as if I were in game noclip style. I could see several places on the map that were outside of town but I couldn't walk to them. I managed to find my way back, went inside the building and back out and it was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom