• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
DevelopmentArrested said:
50 hours in, in love with this game BUT

the sword combat just isn't good. it's boring as shit.
may try to go more towards archery, magic now.
I have to agree--after Dark Souls, Mount and Blade, and even The Witcher 2, the melee combat system feels pretty outdated. Still an amazing game.

pringles

krameriffic said:
The mechanics of this one are the problem. It's laughably easy to do it and its all based around equipping enchanted armor and using potions to improve your ability to improve your armor. It got me wondering, is there an enchantment for improving your enchantment skill? If so, what is to stop a player from enchanting a set of armor to improve enchantment, then using their new, higher enchantment skill to make a new set of better enchantment armor and repeating ad nauseum?
I really doubt the average gamer is going to 'break' the game like that. Yes smithing is somewhat easy to level up, but both alchemy and enchanting require more effort, like finding the correct recipe and enchantment, as well as soul gems and souls.

Also if you level up these skills too early and too fast the game will assume you're stronger than you are and throw tougher enemies at you and your inadequate combat skills. I found that out first-hand, got my ass kicked in an early Companion quest after I had gained like 2-3 levels with almost nothing but non-combat skills. My brother who had played more "normal" had zero trouble with the same quest.

Personally I love that the possibility for crazy over-powered things are there, especially since it's not so obvious and simple that you can't easily avoid doing it.

cory021

Neo Member
I've just been soaking this game up. I've only played maybe 6 hours total, and the only places I've been to are Riverwood, Whiterun, Bleak Falls Barrow, a Stormcloak camp east of Helgen, and a few caves and fortresses around Riverwood and Whiterun. For me, the game is way more enjoyable and immersive when I take it slowly.

Blablurn

DodgeAnon said:
Untill the northern lights appear.

yeah, okay. that looks beautiful.

MrBig said:
Nights look much better with a nice FXAA post process (
file.php
)

PS3 user here :|

Alchemy

pringles said:
I really doubt the average gamer is going to 'break' the game like that. Yes smithing is somewhat easy to level up, but both alchemy and enchanting require more effort, like finding the correct recipe and enchantment, as well as soul gems and souls.

Also if you level up these skills too early and too fast the game will assume you're stronger than you are and throw tougher enemies at you and your inadequate combat skills. I found that out first-hand, got my ass kicked in an early Companion quest after I had gained like 2-3 levels with almost nothing but non-combat skills. My brother who had played more "normal" had zero trouble with the same quest.

Personally I love that the possibility for crazy over-powered things are there, especially since it's not so obvious and simple that you can't easily avoid doing it.

Scaling actually isn't as drastic as that. Areas in this game have a level range, min of X and max of Y. If you fall in that range then the area is exactly that level, but if you are over or under it then it gets clamped to the extremes. So if you're level 5 in a level 7-10 area, everything is level 7.

But yeah, you gotta work a bit to get all the souls and recipes for stuff. I ignored crafting for a while and had a huge stock pile of soul gems built up but was only able to get to around 60 enchanting with it before running dry. Smithing is pretty easy to cheese up to 100, but is the least breaking of the crafting trio initially.

bodine1231

At what point does magic become 'powerful'? It seems that most of my destruction spells do very little damage to most enemies. I was thinking of going conjurer/destruction but I'm having a hard time right now.

Aselith

SnakeswithLasers said:
I have to agree--after Dark Souls, Mount and Blade, and even The Witcher 2, the melee combat system feels pretty outdated. Still an amazing game.
None of those games are trying to do what Skyrim is. First person makes it harder to do.

Am I doing the math correctly here?

Sneak skill tree perk Backstab: x15
Shrouded Gloves: x15
One handed Mastery: x2

Subtotal: x60

Dual Wield Daggers: x2

Total: x120

Shit son.

Davedough

Why don't I run into dragons? I've been avoiding the main quest to the point where I obtained Lydia but haven't gone up to High Hrothgal or whatever its called to talk to the Greybeards yet.

I've walked massive distances. I walked from Whiterun to Windhelm, then back and all around the southern areas and still have yet to run into another dragon other than the first scripted one. I have 2 shouts I need to equip but have no dragon souls to do so. Do you have to do something for them to begin appearing regularly?

After 30 hours found my first broken zone, I did a quest where i took a boat too
Japhet's Folly to kill an evil wizard
first in the tower there were massive texture issues and now i am stuck in an endless quest where the simple bandits are one shotting me!

Aselith

narcosis219 said:

Shit son.
Can you backstab with 2 daggers?

Zeliard

Finally fought a fire-breathing dragon and it was exactly as I expected - my fire defense is so monstrously high (50% due to Dunmer + 40% from dwarven boots) that I can literally just stand there in the dragon's flame breath on Master difficulty with my health depleting very slowly. I guess they must stack additively because it certainly feels like around 90% fire defense. I'm nearly immune to it.

This particular dragon was part of a Misc quest and I found a pretty nice Elven helmet on top of the tower he was guarding. Weighs 1 unit with 15 armor, and has 20% magicka reduction in Destruction spells. It's appropriately tilted the Elven Helmet of Eminent Destruction. :p

Alchemy

narcosis219 said:

Shit son.

I thought these were additive, making it 15+15+2 = 32.

Aselith said:
Can you backstab with 2 daggers?

Precisely why I want to just get up from my table and go home and try.

But then I'd get fired =(. 3 HOURS FUUUUUUUU

Alchemy said:

In this case, the x2 from one handed changes the base value you see in the inventory (I'm pretty sure) so it would actually be multiplicative for this case.

You can definitely backstab with both daggers, I'm not sure how it calculates it other than waaaaaaaaaaay more damage. Hold down both mouse buttons.

What is annoying is the random kill animations don't trigger at all when you use both daggers, so I still just use one if I'm confident in one shot-ing whatever it is I'm about to attack.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
narcosis219 said:

Shit son.

Does it have to be a power attack when you sneak/backstab? It's hit or miss for me when I try to press the left+right mouse buttons at the same time.

I have more success with a bow since I can just remain hidden for multiple shots.

Cruzader

Banned
Little offtopic but its related to Skyrim.

My brother bought a copy from Amazon but got delayed. The game got scheduled to arrive on Monday, so he really wanted to play over thee weekend. So he went out and bought it on Gamestop. Monday comes and he forgot to place a note on the door that said he woudlnt be taking the game and ship back to Amazon. So could he do the following: Go back to GS and say he doesnt want it any more and give them the Amazon copy? And by doing so, will he get cash back or credit? He just wants his cash back. He feels Amazon is gonna charge him shipping fee to send it back etc. etc. Advice?

Anyways the game looks sicks and cant wait to get my own copy in the future. I dont want to spend $60 right now else Id buy it from my bro.

Clevinger

Davedough said:
Why don't I run into dragons? I've been avoiding the main quest to the point where I obtained Lydia but haven't gone up to High Hrothgal or whatever its called to talk to the Greybeards yet.

I've walked massive distances. I walked from Whiterun to Windhelm, then back and all around the southern areas and still have yet to run into another dragon other than the first scripted one. I have 2 shouts I need to equip but have no dragon souls to do so. Do you have to do something for them to begin appearing regularly?

If you killed the first scripted one, you should be getting random dragons now. After I killed the first one, I didn't go to the Greybeards for a while and I saw plenty of dragons.

Cruzader said:

My brother bought a copy from Amazon but got delayed. The game got scheduled to arrive on Monday, so he really wanted to play over thee weekend. So he went out and bought it on Gamestop. Monday comes and he forgot to place a note on the door that said he woudlnt be taking the game and ship back to Amazon. So could he do the following: Go back to GS and say he doesnt want it any more and give them the Amazon copy? And by doing so, will he get cash back or credit? He just wants his cash back. He feels Amazon is gonna charge him shipping fee to send it back etc. etc. Advice?

Anyways the game looks sicks and cant wait to get my own copy in the future. I dont want to spend $60 right now else Id buy it from my bro.

You can "refund" the amazon copy (given that the SKU is the exact same, check the barcode number).

Some sensitive people call this fraud and think that you should be jailed for this behavior, though. It definitely works, however.

MrToughPants said:
Does it have to be a power attack when you sneak/backstab? It's hit or miss for me when I try to press the left+right mouse buttons at the same time.

I have more success with a bow since I can just remain hidden for multiple shots.

Yeah I have noticed that it is hit or miss sometimes, aiming for the neck or head seems to help but that could just be my imagination.

Davedough

Clevinger said:
If you killed the first scripted one, you should be getting random dragons now. After I killed the first one, I didn't go to the Greybeards for a while and I saw plenty of dragons.

Yeah, I killed the first one and about 10 hours later into it, I've yet to see another.

Moofers

Companion Quest question (pretty late in the chain, I think)

So I've cured Kodlak's spirit of werewolf, and now I have the option to cure myself. My question is, what am I missing out on by curing myself? I think my character would want to be free in the afterlife and not some glorified hunting dog, but I'm not sure Aela (my wife to be) feels the same. So will it piss her off if I am cured?

Thanks in advance.

Koomaster

Moofers said:
"Fugitive" ran up to me and put an item in my inventory that I'm supposed to hang onto until he finds me again later. Says if I tell anyone or do anything to the item, he'll kill me (ha!) but I have no idea what the item is in my inventory.

Also, anyone know where you can buy a horse? Is it worth doing?
Something similar happened to me but it was a big clusterfuck.

Me Lydia and some other dude who was wanting to travel with us set off. As we traveled a fugitive came and said the same thing to me. But I couldn't read it as wolves were chasing him and they started attacking my group. But bandits were also chasing the wolves.

A huge fight breaks out on all sides and this random guard joins in, I have no idea where he even came from. By the time it was all over everyone was dead except me, Lydia and the Guard. I don't know what was given to me and have no clue what any of that was about.

All happened a few hours after I started up the game and I was completely confused.

KorrZ

Switched my PS3 copy for a 360 copy after the framerate became unbearable. Ditching my 40 hour into Mage character in the process :( I think I'll play an archer this time, is archery effective at high levels in this game?

Davedough

Koomaster said:
Something similar happened to me but it was a big clusterfuck.

Me Lydia and some other dude who was wanting to travel with us set off. As we traveled a fugitive came and said the same thing to me. But I couldn't read it as wolves were chasing him and they started attacking my group. But bandits were also chasing the wolves.

A huge fight breaks out on all sides and this random guard joins in, I have no idea where he even came from. By the time it was all over everyone was dead except me, Lydia and the Guard. I don't know what was given to me and have no clue what any of that was about.

All happened a few hours after I started up the game and I was completely confused.

I was walking to Windhelm and going over the mountain pass. A fugitive gave me an Axe of Sapping which steals Magicka with every hit, asked me to hold it for him while he hides.... seconds later a hunter came over asking me if I knew where the guy was. I said no and he just starting hanging around. I went over to where the fugitive was, shouted him out of his corner, the hunter saw him, killed him and then went on his merry way. I got to keep the axe. =)

Derrick01

Banned
Alchemy said:

No some of it at least multiplies. I get 30x from the shrouded gloves and the 15x perk, but I don't know how 1h mastery or dual wielding works since I don't use 2. I thought daggers didn't count as 1h weapons?

Alchemy

Cruzader said:

Sounds to me like your bro just bought the game twice and needs to deal with it. Also, the game is completely worth $60. I have 30 hours in it since Friday and I'm nowhere close to being done with it.

Davedough said:
I was walking to Windhelm and going over the mountain pass. A fugitive gave me an Axe of Sapping which steals Magicka with every hit, asked me to hold it for him while he hides.... seconds later a hunter came over asking me if I knew where the guy was. I said no and he just starting hanging around. I went over to where the fugitive was, shouted him out of his corner, the hunter saw him, killed him and then went on his merry way. I got to keep the axe. =)

This is the funniest shit I've read.

DICK MOVE BRO

Gravijah

Davedough said:

i had that event happen, except i was getting on a carriage so he gave me the item as i was riding off to the next town. free item~

Veelk

Banned
I seem to have run into some sort of glitch. I somehow found Finn's Lute long before I ever needed it. I only recently talked to Idga 6 fingers or whatever her name is at the Bard College. Since I already had the lute, I just said so immediately. She rewarded me, but my journal is still telling me to find the lute, and even though she rewarded me, she never took the lute so it's still in my inventory.

Derrick01

Banned
Davedough said:

This happened to me very early in the game, guy gave me a shield to hold on to and he'd kill me if I sold it but I never saw a hunter or anything.

I've been walking around with that shield for 40 hours now. Reading your story I think it's time to finally ditch it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That guy ran up to me and I bashed him with my mace before he even got to talking so he ran off. Don't fuck with me, man. Approach with caution. That said, he managed to give me the axe without a word somehow so I gave it back to the guy and he went off to finish the job I started.

Derrick01 said:
This happened to me very early in the game, guy gave me a shield to hold on to and he'd kill me if I sold it but I never saw a hunter or anything.

I've been walking around with that shield for 40 hours now. Reading your story I think it's time to finally ditch it.
Yeah, I had a bow from the same thing very early on. Eventually realized the guy was never coming back for it, and if he did I would be strong enough to deal with him.

Pat

narcosis219 said:

Shit son.

Well unfortunately, you cannot do a sneak dual-wield attack so it stays at x60. But still, damn.

I heard you can do some alchemy and put poison on arrows (or bow, whatever), anyone knows how does it work? I never did crafting stuff in an Elder's Scroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom