• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aselith said:
Get Detect Life. It shows hostiles as red.
While every Stealthy character should absolutely have Detect Life... it'll occasionally show enemies in blue - I've had it trick me a few times. Going through a dungeon for example and there's a bunch of mages in a room all blue, put my weapon away and snuck up to one - as soon as I stood up and tried to press the talk key nothing happened, mages just all turned around and started attacking.

On the same token, bunch of prisoners in a dungeon were all showing up as red for me, I opened the cages and let them run free - they never attacked.

Hugs

Curse you Flame Breath! I keep loosing my companions :(

I accidentally killed Lydia as I was
Climbing up to High Hrothgar when I used the Flame Breath shout on the Ice Troll

I accidentally killed the female companion you can recruit in Whiterun
after beating her in a fight. I killed her with Flame Breath in a dungeon

Then I killed Ferndal? The elf archer from Riverwood. I killed him with Flame Breath
fighting Ice Wraiths climbing towards Azura's Shrine

So when I recruited my third companion, Erik
the son of the Inn Keeper at Rorikstead
I was careful. I crafted some nice armor for him, gave him some great weapons (named loot from quests!) and enchanted everything. Then on the way to a dungeon I took a shortcut down the side of a mountain and he couldn't follow. I assumed he would appear after I fast traveled, but he did not and when I go back
to speak to his farther at the inn, he's all annoyed with me!
as if he had died. And I can't find his body to get all my stuff back if it turns out he is dead! :(

Izayoi said:
So, siding with the Stormcloaks is the best way to get at the Thalmor, right?

I do. Dat 30x damage.

So would it be 60x if I use the Dark Brotherhood gloves that give 2x to backstab? Or just 30x with one?

Also, I have begun referring to Skyrim as 'Skyrimjob', cause this game is the cat's ass, man. So awesome.

Zeliard

Noticed earlier that if you give your companion a torch, they'll bust it out at night and in otherwise dark areas. Cute touch.

When I was going around with Marcurio I gave him a Necromancer staff and he would habitually resurrect enemies in combat with it, on top of using his usual Destruction magic, which was pretty awesome. Though now I have a bonafide Conjurer by my side.

Zeliard said:
Noticed earlier that if you give your companion a torch, they'll bust it out at night and in otherwise dark areas. Cute touch.

When I was going around with Marcurio I gave him a Necromancer staff and he would habitually resurrect enemies in combat with it, on top of using his usual Destruction magic, which was pretty awesome. Though now I have a bonafide Conjurer by my side.

Where do you get Marcurio at?

Aselith

Houston3000 said:
While every Stealthy character should absolutely have Detect Life... it'll occasionally show enemies in blue - I've had it trick me a few times. Going through a dungeon for example and there's a bunch of mages in a room all blue, put my weapon away and snuck up to one - as soon as I stood up and tried to press the talk key nothing happened, mages just all turned around and started attacking.

On the same token, bunch of prisoners in a dungeon were all showing up as red for me, I opened the cages and let them run free - they never attacked.
Bugs in a Bethesda game? Nah.

scy

mxgt said:
Fireball is just as bad if not worse, has large splash damage so always hits Lydia so I just don't use it.

For this reason alone, my goal with Enchanting is to make my Lydia spell immune.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i've got two 2h swords. One with 35 damage, and the other with 28 but it also says "deals 30 magicka damage".

I'm not sure if physical and magicka damage works the same, but is that 2nd sword really doing 28+30 total damage? If so, that's one huge upgrade.

Kikarian

BoobPhysics101 said:
So would it be 60x if I use the Dark Brotherhood gloves that give 2x to backstab? Or just 30x with one?

Also, I have begun referring to Skyrim as 'Skyrimjob', cause this game is the cat's ass, man. So awesome.
I think so? Unless you have 15x damage and where the gloves giving you 30.

Bisnic said:
So i've got two 2h swords. One with 35 damage, and the other with 28 but it also says "deals 30 magicka damage".

I'm not sure if physical and magicka damage works the same, but is that 2nd sword really doing 28+30 total damage? If so, that's one huge upgrade.
No, magicka damage is dealt to the enemy's magicka, not health. At least, that's what I think.

thundr51

another question, I started doing the main quest, got lydia and then after doing the final trial for the greybeards decided to do some side quests. I did the companions quests where you have to go with your shield-brother and lydia disappeared, haven't seen her since. Any idea where she could be?

scy

Rabbitwork said:
just read on the uesp wiki that destruction doesn't scale with higher levels? what?

this almost makes me want to re-roll.

The cost scales down, however; you can eventually just start throwing free spells.

scy

Gravijah said:
can your companions equip armor? i tried with lydia but it didn't work. maybe she only wears light armor or something, though.

It merely has to be better (whatever the hell that means is ambiguous at times >>) than what she's currently wearing. She defaults to full Steel so you need to do better than that before she'll equip it. It's marked as equipped when it's in her inventory though so it's pretty easy to tell what she's got on. That and the obvious change in her appearance.

Atomski

Gravijah said:
can your companions equip armor? i tried with lydia but it didn't work. maybe she only wears light armor or something, though.
She will wear it if its an upgrade. I gave her orc armor and she put it on instantly.

cartoon_soldier said:
Start liking crafting

ppl bitching because its difficult to find rare powerful equipment..smh

newsflash..if it were easy to find it wouldn't be rare now would it. :/

The rare power stuff is there but its truly rare, as in, there's one of it in the entire world of Skyrim.

Yeah it would seems like the game is highly designed around the concept of smithing enchanting and alchemy and the exploration is there primarily to serve those skills.

I've already finished Winterhold's primary quest line and am strictly Mage heavily into destruction and conjuring. I have 2 items each with 100% faster magicka regen and am learning that I can further buff my self with potions and other spell cost reduction enchantments.

Playing on adept and the level scaling seems a bit off. Some enemies are absurdly easy to dispatch while others are ridiculously hard. Loving the game though, GOTY IMO.

Joe Molotov

balddemon said:
what's
rjorn's drum
used for? anything? i just found it in
halldir's cairn

The Thieves' Guild buys certain unique items from you. I'm not sure if that's one of them or not, though.

Kikarian

AndresON777 said:
yeah I friendly fired at Lydia against the A'kir (sp?) scimitar dudes and she died.
i take it once she dies, you can't get her back?

Don't use her anyway.

Also is anyone else's
Spectral Assassin (you get form the Dark Brotherhood) sometimes not following you? Either it would just stay still, or just stop following you unless something triggers?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dunno if this has been posted but spells in a school of magic can all cost 0 if you get 100% mana cost reduction through gear (enchanting).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Jarl of Markarth is a dick! After I
restart the dwemer place and clear out the robots and giant spider, cleanse the city of Foresworn, bring the sybil of Dibella, help out the blacksmith, help out the item shop, help get Molag Bal out of one of the houses, marry one of the citizens, and various deliveries...
I'm still just a stranger and haven't helped anyone so I'm not worthy of a house?! Fuck you, buddy!

SnakeswithLasers said:
Playing on consoles--can anyone help with this issue:

I'm a bow user and I need distance and surprise in order to be effective. However, when I'm wandering around in the world I don't have any way to tell if people I see in the distance are hostile or neutral. My choices are to either approach them to chat, only to find out they are hostile and completely lose my stealth and distance advantage, or to just start shooting from a distance--and discover that they weren't bad after all.

How do others deal with this--am I missing some random "identify target" feature? I dislike saving before every random encounter "just in case."

Here is how I deal with this..

Use the Dragon Shout that distracts people or sends your voice to a wall. If they are hostile they will run over and turn red and look/investigate (Great time to snipe)

If they aren't... they will do nothing...

MrBig

Dice said:
The Jarl of Markarth is a dick! After I
restart the dwemer place and clear out the robots and giant spider, cleanse the city of Foresworn, bring the sybil of Dibella, help out the blacksmith, help out the item shop, help get Molag Bal out of one of the houses, marry one of the citizens, and various deliveries...
I'm still just a stranger and haven't helped anyone so I'm not worthy of a house?! Fuck you, buddy!
Do quests for the steward and then you will do a personal quest for him and gain the option.

Alchemy

krameriffic said:
The mechanics of this one are the problem. It's laughably easy to do it and its all based around equipping enchanted armor and using potions to improve your ability to improve your armor. It got me wondering, is there an enchantment for improving your enchantment skill? If so, what is to stop a player from enchanting a set of armor to improve enchantment, then using their new, higher enchantment skill to make a new set of better enchantment armor and repeating ad nauseum?

As stated already, Morrowind was faster and even more game breaking. It is fairly easy to do in Skyrim, but it is gated slightly by money. If you're going to focus on this, why not reward players for it?

This is just par for the course in an Elder Scrolls game. I for one really enjoy the progress from random slave dude to god. But I don't instantly go towards crafting when being set free, so the game breaking is a bit delayed.

webrunner

scy said:
I've done about 5 hours of nothing but throwing Lydia at various things to see if they kill her. Area of Effect attacks, spells, etc. will not kill her. This is Giant swings, Dragon swipes, Dragon breaths, Mage spells (targeted, area of effect, and persistent ala Cloaks), and so-on. This applies when they're kneeling.

However, if they're hit by an attack that has a Lingering Damage effect, that ticks away even AFTER they kneel. This can outright kill them when they hit zero health. Falmer's seem to a bitch about this as they almost always have poisoned weapons in my terrible experience with them.

Beyond that, any attacking you do will outright kill them if it deals enough to them, kneeling immunity be damned.

I'm almost 100% certain that 3x Restore Health (or Damage Health, Ravage Health, and so-on) is better than 2x.

Good to know. It's halarious seeing her try to get through a hallway full of swinging blades.. takes like 5 minutes with all the kneeling she does.

Dresden

Man, the Dark Brotherhood quests keep going and going and going.

Spoilers near the end of the chain:

My Dark Bros. ;___;

I posted this in the PC thread but I thought you guys might like this :)

51-1-1321333217.jpg

Durante

I posted about it in the PC tech thread, but this game is just fantastic in 3D. Try it out if you get the chance. I just climbed a mountain, walked through a snowstorm and finally explored a dwemer dungeon with steam billowing all around me. It's glorious. I often have to stop and just look at stuff for a minute or two.

Easily among the top 3D experiences IMHO, simply amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom