• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

oh my fucking god, I just entered a cave and the deeper I got I started noticing all of these cobwebs all over the goddamn place. SPIDERS EVERYWHERE.

NBtoaster

Wouldn't this be a great place to live? In the middle of a beautiful lake, you have plentiful fish, and a beehive nearby for honey. Dragonflies dart across the water. Riverwood is just a quick ride downstream.

ssssyie5z.png

Teknoman

Wallach said:
Nah, the Thalmor are part of the elven empire that dunked on the Imperials in the previous war and forced them to sign the peace treaty that involved the ban of all Talos worship.

I can't remember what those guys are called... Vigilant or something like that maybe.

Oh, yeah thats right. Playing as Redguard, still sorta conflicted about whether I should fight with the stormcloak resistance or join the imperials. Damn these grey areas!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Elder-GAF, I need some convincing...cuz Im not so sure if I should join the circle (become a werewolf) or not. Im wondering if there's any negative effects on my character other than having those silver twats ganging up on you nonstop or not.

Philia

GOD, I love this game so much.

Lv 25 Khajiit with 95 Sneak and 72 Archery here. 70 hours in, I found 81 locations, cleared 44 dungeons, looted 470 chests omg, read 32 skill books.

Did 6 quests, 29 misc, 4 Main, 2 Side and ONE DARK BROTHERHOOD. XD

But yeah, I was just exploring EVERYWHERE before I bothered to do the quests. Once I find just about everywhere, I'll go home and pickpocket the fuck out of these people. Raid their homes, and then do their friggin quests. xD

But yeah I was saving the story/hilarious/awesome quests for last. :D

Zeliard

Verano said:
Elder-GAF, I need some convincing...cuz Im not so sure if I should join the circle (become a werewolf) or not. Im wondering if there's any negative effects on my character other than having those silver twats ganging up on you nonstop or not.

Well worth it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sneaky people, is there a way to set sneak to a toggle or are you guys constantly holding down control when you move? im thinking of doing an archery character but that is a bit of a deal breaker.

Cudder

How do you "clear" a dungeon? Kill everyone inside? Roam all of the halls? I swear I've done both on a few caves but it still doesn't say cleared on my map.

Also, can you clear forts and camps?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cudder said:
How do you "clear" a dungeon? Kill everyone inside? Roam all of the halls? I swear I've done both on a few caves but it still doesn't say cleared on my map.

In my experience, some places don't clear no matter how many people you kill.

Drazgul

Verano said:

Join up bro, and bark at the moon. Werewolves are the medieval bikers, supremely cool!

If you want pros and cons tho:

Pros:
-You get to choose when you turn - no mandatory turning at full moon or any of that nonsense.
-The damage output is pretty nifty, and stacks with the orc racial for me which is insane; wtfpwn in THE FACE against anyone.
-Disease immunity all the time.
-You can run faster than any horse, it's glorious.
-You can eat the flesh of your fallen enemies to regain health, glorious as well.
-You can go berserk and murder anyone, no bounty will be put on you. Glorious!
-Unlike vampires, you don't sparkle.

Cons:
-No skill boost bonus from sleeping, ever.
-Lowers your tactical options when you're transformed - can't use spells, inventory, or loot anything. This can be a problem in very challenging fights, but you can always opt not to use the beast mode.
-Being a furry :(

Tetsuo9

Cudder said:

When you complete it's related quest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pandaman said:
sneaky people, is there a way to set sneak to a toggle or are you guys constantly holding down control when you move? im thinking of doing an archery character but that is a bit of a deal breaker.
I don't have the game in front of me but... isn't it only a toggle?

Mairu

It's kind of annoying how every merchant in Skyrim is poor. I have all this stuff to sell but without waiting days for them to get more money I'll never be able to sell it all! It's worse since I'm trying to level alchemy now, and even with travelling from town to town to buy ingredients I can't get rid of the potions faster than I make them.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
First Dark Souls OT ran from 9/15 to 10/8... I don't think we're going to make it anywhere near that long before we need OT2.

Yeah but it went to OT3 extremely quickly. Post-release posting in those threads was crazy. It was practically moving at the speed of a chat.

Cudder said:
oh my fucking god, I just entered a cave and the deeper I got I started noticing all of these cobwebs all over the goddamn place. SPIDERS EVERYWHERE.
I just now finished a cave I started yesterday evening. Sure I skulked around like the Argonian ninja I am, but over four hours to clear one cave complex? Jesus the amount of content in this game is staggering.

I feel woefully underpowered in standup fights, but from a distance with my bow I'd make Legolas proud. Hit and run tactics, heavy use of poisons and devious tricks are the order of the day. I shuffled home with so much loot and a fuckton of alchemy ingredients it'll take my next two hour Skyrim session just to sort through it all ;P

I do miss being able to mix potions on the go. I end up with a ton of ingredients but no nearby alchemy tables to work with. Makes relying upon poisons a dicey proposition since you live or die by drops.

One question though - backstabbing enemies seems to be hit or miss. Is there a technique I should be using to guarantee I get the cinematic throat slit?

Dresden

OT2 for Dark Souls got locked in ten days, I doubt the Skyrim OTs will ever hit that pace.

Second OT should be called "We'll meet in Sovngarde", by the way, just a suggestion for when the threads get moved to community.

angelfly

Hmm after doing some Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests I think I may want to start focusing on light armor rather than heavy.

fanboi

Banned
Wallach said:
You there, I need your assistance. Please tell me the stats of the three items you received at the conclusion of this quest:
staff, robe, Morokei.

Spoiler tag it for the other folks.

Robe: 15% less to cast magic, +50 magica, 100% regeneration of magica
Staff: Absorbs 20 magica per second, if out of magica health
Mask: Magica regeneraes 100% faster

Zeliard

ZombieSupaStar said:
I own Dark Souls, I get it, Japan made finally made a good hd game in 6 years and everyones excited. But this thread is about handsome nord womens!

Just sayin man, we've been having some crazy fast-moving threads lately.

Sadly Halo: Reach puts it all to shame. That shit is at like 7 OTs now.

Zeliard said:
Dark Souls thread growth was even nuttier.
In fairness Dark Souls also requires a lot more community conversation since they explain literally none of the game's systems or nuance. The game requires more gamer to gamer interaction than most.

Not saying it isn't a great game. Its not my cup of tea, but when I did put the effort into the original I had to stay glued to forums and wikis to know which way was up.

Mindlog

Zeliard said:
Yeah but it went to OT3 extremely quickly. Post-release posting in those threads was crazy. It was practically moving at the speed of a chat.
From quite a few people I am finding our average session in ESV seems to be longer than DS. More playing/Less posting.

Just random anecdotes. I have really enjoyed both games.

My mage is still ~level 18 and I have 3 unused perks. Destruction magic points have been frustratingly hard to get. I am trying to stay in the shock path, but I have needed 5 more points for a very long time.

Derrick01

Banned
Zeliard said:
lol @ the random saltiness

We may have found someone more tired of hearing about that game than me!

And I'm assuming the thread went so fast because the game requires so much feedback and help. Skyrim is a much more laid back game and doesn't require a ton of help.

For anybody that has finished the main questline:

Can you go back to Sovngarde after you've returned to Skyrim? I just remembered I never accepted that guy's invitation to dine in the hall again. Plus I love that area. Best Skybox ever.

Zeliard

NullPointer said:
In fairness Dark Souls also requires a lot more community conversation since they explain literally none of the game's systems or nuance. The game requires more gamer to gamer interaction than other games.

Not saying it isn't a great game. Its not my cup of tea, but when I did put the effort into the original I had to stay hooked on forums and wikis to know which way was up.

Can't disagree with that for the most part. But I think the mystery is intentional and part of the allure, personally. Of course it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I think it's cute that Bethesda threw From Software a shout-out with one of the Conjuration perks. :p

Mindlog said:
My mage is still ~level 18 and I have 3 unused perks. Destruction magic points have been frustratingly hard to get. I am trying to stay in the shock path, but I have needed 5 more points for a very long time.

Outside of Conjuration, Destruction is by far my most used skill but I've also noticed it seems to go up slowly relative to some of the others. I'm also right on the verge of level 18, same as you.

first play thru un modded PC, sword/shield/heavy armor/smithing bulldozing thru the main quests to the ending (a few sidequests but not alot).

2nd playthrough i debating either thief or mage depends on how many mods are out and if they add some flavor to thieving or not.

Wallach

fanboi said:
Robe: 15% less to cast magic, +50 magica, 100% regeneration of magica
Staff: Absorbs 20 magica per second, if out of magica health
Mask: Magica regeneraes 100% faster

Awesome, thank you sir!

Indeed it does seem like the initial mining is proving correct and there really just aren't many items that are level scaled. I'd love to know why they level the few items they bother leveling.

Tetsuo9

Cudder said:
Related quest? I'm not even questing right now and I'm clearing dungeons. I don't think it has anything to do with being on a quest.

Well, all of the dungeons I cleared because of a quest have it's cleared status on the map. (In my case, mostly dungeons around whiterun).

Derrick01

Banned
My theory for clearing dungeons is if you reached "the end" of it, basically when you either can't go any further in really small ones, or you reach the room where there's a really tough enemy and usually a lever/switch/door that leads to a shortcut to get out of the place.

Zeliard

If I had to guess, some dungeons aren't shown as cleared because you eventually return there, perhaps after getting access to some other previously unavailable section of it. Don't think I've had to return anywhere yet, though.

FStop7

Banned
Got jumped by 4 frost trolls at once. Managed to one shot one of them with unrelenting force, sent it down a steep embankment and the fall killed it. Ran away from another and got the other two to fight each other by using Animal Allegience. One died and the other was weakened enough for an easy kill. Went back to the last troll that we ran away from and it almost ruined everything, it nearly killed Lydia and then me. Managed to finish it with just a sliver of my own health left. For as rough as those things are to kill they sure don't give up much.

Ardenyal

CrocMother said:
So I am now having SEVERE frame rate drops on my PS3 when I am in cities, especially White Run.

Like, bad bad.

Am I the only one? :(
Disable Save on travel to get rid of the frame drops.

Zeliard said:
If I had to guess, some dungeons aren't shown as cleared because you eventually return there, perhaps after getting access to some other previously unavailable section of it. Don't think I've had to return anywhere yet, though.
I like this theory.

I also like how open ended things are. You end up talking to an NPC who tasks you in hushed tones with crossing frozen steppes, journeying across snow-capped mountains and winding your way into the darkest depths of the earth to return a long lost treasure of his people. "Oh you mean this thing I have in my bag? Yeah I picked that up a few days ago when I was bored and looking for a place to crash. Here, have it." Ga-CHUNG. Quest completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom