• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the game yesterday, but I am already in love with it. So good!

One question about shields: What is the meaning of having light and heavy armor shields? I'm planning on going 1h + shield and focusing on light armor. Is there any reason I should wear a light armor shield vs. a heavy armor one? I noticed in the perk tree for light armor that I can get a bonus for wearing all light, but it did not include shields. Will a heavy shield affect my sneaking? Otherwise I'm wearing the heavy one for the improved armor rating.

Mind

Neo Member
I got a simple question. But I don't have a clue despite the simpleness :)

I'm an Imperial Mage. I run around we a spell in each hand. But how do I learn new spells? I'm just walking around with fire and restoration at the moment. Do I get the thunder spell when I spent my points in 'destruction'? I've seen the option for increasing my thunder damage in de destruction sign. But I got the feeling this won't do because I didn't have the spell yet. So I put my points in fire and dubble casting.

Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Drazgul

cackhyena said:
Nah, I've made legendary stuff without smith enhanced apparel. I'm at 100 and one perk below Dragon Bone making.

Ah I misread what MileS wrote earlier - yeah you need the relevant perk unlocked to upgrade the items covered by said perk to legendary status. Dragon priest masks being in the daedric category must just be because they're high-end items that just needed to go somewhere.

@Mind:

You buy spell books from vendors.

Mind said:

I'm an Imperial Mage. I run around we a spell in each hand. But how do I learn new spells? I'm just walking around with fire and restoration at the moment. Do I get the thunder spell when I spent my points in 'destruction'? I've seen the option for increasing my thunder damage in de destruction sign. But I got the feeling this won't do because I didn't have the spell yet. So I put my points in fire and dubble casting.

Look for the College of Winterhold.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_College_of_Winterhold

Luthos

Mind said:

Either look out for spell tomes/books in dungeons, or just buy them.

You can find them on mage type characters, or in general stores. Under books.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I chose to stick with Daedric over Dragon armor because a) it looks better and b) it had better armor values. Of course I've been finding Daedric armor now so not sure that smithing was worth it, although my armor value is about 500 from all the improvement I've done. I'm honestly pretty ashamed that the dragon armor looks like something a level 10 bandit would be wearing.

Resized Steam screen:

xxPlE.jpg

Mairu

I made Dragon before I made all of Daedric (didn't know where to get the hearts) then regretted buying the perk for Dragon since it's worse than Daedric ;(

Dries

Blue Ninja said:
That prisoner should definitely be there: talk to a few of the guys in town, one of them will mention
his daughter being killed by him
. As for the dog, a random guardsmen approached me when I took a carriage there and asked me about it. Maybe the starts of those quests are all randomized?

Hmm.. Will keep my eye open.

Luthos

Mairu said:
I made Dragon before I made all of Daedric (didn't know where to get the hearts) then regretted buying the perk for Dragon since it's worse than Daedric ;(
meh, in games like this, I definitely go style/look over quality. Unless it's just a huge drop off.

While it'll be too low by the end of it all, I still think Wolf Armor is the best looking heavy armor in the game (so far of what I've seen).

xelios

Izayoi said:
I guess Dragon armor is more for the light folk, because as far as I know, Daedric is heavy-only, right?

Yeah, but there's a heavy and light version of Dragon armor. Both look pretty crappy. I'm not sure of the Dragonscale (light) vs. the next best quality light.

So I'm a One-Handed (Dwarf Mace at the moment) and Shield focused Nord with Heavy Armor... and I'm having a pretty tough time killing Dragons, even at level 24. Should I just level up magic or what?

d00d3n

Conjuration is ridiculously overpowered compared to the other magic skills. With twin souls you can have two storm atronarchs absorbing all enemy attacks and outputting crazy damage for you. The skill just breaks the game. That being said, here is a great way to cheaply level up the skill:

Summon a frost atronarch. Stand out of reach from its melee attacks. Make it hostile by attacking it. Equip "summon bound sword" in each hand and start spamming these spells. Reaching master skill level should take you 30 minutes max. Using a frost atronarch is preferred because it only uses melee attacks. If you find a spot that is out of reach from a fire atronarch, go ahead and try that. I used an unreachable spot in the private training area for the arch-mage on top of his (my!) quarters in Winterhold. I used the wall section pointing towards the town close to the entrance (either side should work). When I think about it this spot should probably be out of reach from a fire atronarch too. This is obviously not possible before becoming arch-mage.

Luthos

DarknessTear said:
So I'm a One-Handed (Dwarf Mace at the moment) and Shield focused Nord with Heavy Armor... and I'm having a pretty tough time killing Dragons, even at level 24. Should I just level up magic or what?
Seriously? I feel overpowered with my sword and board Nord.

Shield bash them when they breathe, and it'll knock them out of it. Also, the shield perk that ups fire/frost/lightning resist by 50% is great.

And then a combination of shouts you find useful.

Dragon shout spoiler:
I find Mark for Death really useful for melee dudes. It lowers armor so your hits do more damage

Zeliard

Magic is purposefully meant to be beastly once you max the skills out. Final perk for all the trees reduces Magicka cost to 0. At that point you're basically meant to be a walking god. Shades of how crazy Morrowind could end up getting.

Duki

Banned
DarknessTear said:
wtf? melee is retardedly over powered in this game, and with a shield you basically cant die

just use power attacks while blocking their breath and stuff

can you favourite a weapon to the left hand only? swapping between dual wielding and sword and board is kind of annoying because instead of hot keying it to a number, you have to click otherwise it just goes to your right hand and you keep the shield up :(

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Magic is purposefully meant to be beastly once you max the skills out. Final perk for all the trees reduces Magicka cost to 0. At that point you're basically meant to be a walking god. Shades of how crazy Morrowind could end up getting.

Are you sure it's actually 0 magicka? I thought that required fortification beyond 100 even with the Master-rank perk.

Orgun

Pandaman said:
holy shit, there are random encounters with
named/boss dragons

Yeah I came across one of those, wasnt sure if i'd managed to stumble on a later quest stage or something!

xelios

Wallach said:
Are you sure it's actually 0 magicka? I thought that required fortification beyond 100 even with the Master-rank perk.

The magic school perks only halve the mana usage, and in retrospect they seem a waste for that particular school if you get 100% reduction through enchanting.

Is there a reason my Wood Elf's eyes are blood red? I could have sworn I went with blue eyes.

My guess is it's related to how "evil" I've been throughout the game, but maybe I'm crazy.

Digital Limit said:
Is there a reason my Wood Elf's eyes are blood red? I could have sworn I went with blue eyes.

My guess is it's related to how "evil" I've been throughout the game, but maybe I'm crazy.
Maybe you hava vampirism? I dunno if that even turns your eyes red. It sure as hell isn't because you're "evil", there's no "morality" system in the game.

xelios

I've seen a lot of elf NPCs with blood red where the white of the eye should be. Mostly Dark Elves.

Luthos

Pandaman said:
holy shit, there are random encounters with
named/boss dragons
Seriously? That sounds awesome.

(somewhat early) Main question spoiler:
Do they talk to you? I loved when the named one(s) do that in the main quest

Zeliard

Wallach said:

Oh I thought the final perk was 2/2 but either way, as xelios pointed out, even without that perk it's possible to reduce magicka cost for a tree by 100% through various enchants.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Oh I thought the final perk was 2/2 but either way, as xelios pointed out, even without that perk it's possible to get it up to 100% through various enchants.

Yeah, I don't know yet what the fortification required is to hit 0 magicka in a school with the perk. I don't really use Destruction magic though, and actually getting to 0 in one school doesn't really sound as useful as getting down to trivial costs in multiple schools.

On the topic of mages, I need to figure out a better solution to the head slot than
Morokei.
Might just have to make my own, I'm not giving up so much armor just for that.

Reuenthal

Banned
I am starting to think that going light armor one handed was a mistake. Heavy armor especially seems better if you can eliminate weight from both while wearing.

pahamrick

xelios said:
Yeah, but there's a heavy and light version of Dragon armor. Both look pretty crappy. I'm not sure of the Dragonscale (light) vs. the next best quality light.

Dragonscale is better than Glass armor. From what I understand, the reason Daedric is better than Dragonbone is due to the rarity of materials for Daedric (Only one ebony mine in the game, daedra hearts) vs the sheer amount of dragon bones and scales you can get. Shame they didn't have the ability to craft dragon weapons.

Maybrick

Neo Member
cackhyena said:
Uuuum, at the end of The Forsworn Conspiracy
is my guy supposed to be lying there dead at the hands of Imperials? Sure doesn't seem like it, because the marker still floats where he should have been standing. I've reloaded a bunch of times and it's always the same thing. If I leave the place, the arrow stil says to go in there to tell hi what went down.

The one in Markarth? To my knowledge if its the same one I'm on or have done, you need to go outside and get caught by the guard and go to jail. It then continues the next stage of the quest.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You can get all the Daedra Hearts you need for a complete set from one quest, and I believe you can go back and farm them.

cackhyena

Maybrick said:
The one in Markarth? To my knowledge if its the same one I'm on or have done, you need to go outside and get caught by the guard and go to jail. It then continues the next stage of the quest.
Oh, so duder is supposed to be dead? I mean, I tried to see where it went and went outside, but the main Imperial just mentioned that I should join.

furfoots

Do the pets from conjuration break your stealth when they attack? Was thinking of building a archer thief with illusion/conjuration.

voltron

So can anyone help me out with this retarded problem.... how the fuck do I get my horse to stop WALKING THE FUCK AWAY!!!!!!??? (sorry its just annoying the piss outta me), whenever I get off it?

Admittedly Ive never legitamtely bought a horse yet. But my current steep isnt stolen either. Cant remember how I acquired him, but hes mine because whenever I fast travel to a town hes there waiting for me. But Ill be trotting through the woods as you do, and decide to get off and pick some flowers, or just fricken smash someone's face in with a mace.... you know, regular stuff :) (god I love this game)..... anyway, but whenever I do the fucking thing instantly walks off.

Would this problem be not a problem if I buy my own horse or proper like? Please tell me it wouldnt happen because its doing my head in.

Also one more thing for 360 owners.... whats the consensus on installing to HDD? Are people doing it or is it still better to play off the disk? Whats the general word from the community? .... because Im pretty sick of having a jet engine in to deal with whenever I play Skyrim. But I would rather that than textures that dont load because nothing pulls me out of the experience more than having big chunks of low poly texture less trees, ground and rocks etc....

pahamrick

Ikuu said:
You can get all the Daedra Hearts you need for a complete set from one quest, and I believe you can go back and farm them.
xelios said:
^And buy ebony ingots from smiths.

Just going by what was said in the guide. Looks like I need to find that quest for Daedra hearts, as I've only seen a couple for sale in alchemy stores. Still haven't seen any ebony ingots for sale yet, tho.

fanboi

Banned
voltron said:
So can anyone help me out with this retarded problem.... how the fuck do I get my horse to stop WALKING THE FUCK AWAY!!!!!!??? (sorry its just annoying the piss outta me), whenever I get off it?

Admittedly Ive never legitamtely bought a horse yet. But my current steep isnt stolen either. Cant remember how I acquired him, but hes mine because whenever I fast travel to a town hes there waiting for me. But Ill be trotting through the woods as you do, and decide to get off and pick some flowers, or just fricken smash someone's face in with a mace.... you know, regular stuff :) (god I love this game)..... anyway, but whenever I do the fucking thing instantly walks off.

Would this problem be not a problem if I buy my own horse or proper like? Please tell me it wouldnt happen because its doing my head in.

Also one more thing for 360 owners.... whats the consensus on installing to HDD? Are people doing it or is it still better to play off the disk? Whats the general word from the community? .... because Im pretty sick of having a jet engine in to deal with whenever I play Skyrim. But I would rather that than textures that dont load because nothing pulls me out of the experience more than having big chunks of low poly texture less trees, ground and rocks etc....

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

Acidote

pahamrick said:
Just going by what was said in the guide. Looks like I need to find that quest for Daedra hearts, as I've only seen a couple for sale in alchemy stores. Still haven't seen any ebony ingots for sale yet, tho.

Wait, do alchemist sell Daedra Hearts? I'm starting to buy them as soon as I can so I can forge my daedric armor when I can buy ebony too.

pahamrick

Acidote said:
Wait, do alchemist sell Daedra Hearts? I'm starting to buy them as soon as I can so I can forge my daedric armor when I can buy ebony too.

Yeah, seems pretty random when they show up though. Bought two so far from the alchemy shop in Whiterun. The first popped up for sale when I was 26 and found a second for sale not long after I hit 28.

Woo-Fu

Banned
There are actually quite a few "free" horses in the game. Just about any stormcloak camp will have some, there are at least two you can get through quests, and there are two more I've found that spawn near basic shacks.

Of course I didn't find any of these until long after I'd killed about $5k in horses while mountaineering.

Frost is my favorite.

voltron

Cool. The reason I thought I didnt have to buy one is because my current horse isnt stolen. And he turned up whenever I fast travelled so I thought he was cool.

Anyway. Guess Ill save the coin and buy a horse (Im still pretty early and cant afford to buy a horse yet).

And just as aside WTF is with those trolls!!? NOTHING I was doing was taking the slightest bit of health off the fucker. He made great archery training as I stood on the cliff above laying arrow after arrow into him. But damn.... melee, ranged and magic all did fuck all.

Lucky I could outrun the thing and he was scared of water =)

Rimfya

Banned
Do Enchantments stack when equipped? Or do they max out at 100% or not stack at all?

Say I'm wearing robes that recharge Magicka 100% faster, and a hat that does as well. Does that mean it recharges 200% faster?

AiTM

Banned
I have alot of points built up, still cant decide if smithing is worth it. I want to put points in it, but I keep putting it off because everyone who does it later on seems to feel it was a waste, it takes up like 10 perk points or so.

pahamrick

AiTM said:
I have alot of points built up, still cant decide if smithing is worth it. I want to put points in it, but I keep putting it off because everyone who does it later on seems to feel it was a waste, it takes up like 10 perk points or so.

Personally, I've been enjoying smithing just for the ability to upgrade the armor and weapons. Found a few random items that increase the skill so now I've got a Sky-Forged Steel Greatsword that does just over 100 damage.

Luthos

Zeliard said:
lol, yeah buy a horse and he won't run off like stolen ones.
I dunno man, I've bought several horses, and they still run off when I get off to fight some dudes. I mean they may get hit by the enemy, but they run WAY off.

There needs to be a "whistle" button like in Red Dead Redemption, to call your horse back to you.

Zeliard

voltron said:
Cool. The reason I thought I didnt have to buy one is because my current horse isnt stolen. And he turned up whenever I fast travelled so I thought he was cool.

Anyway. Guess Ill save the coin and buy a horse (Im still pretty early and cant afford to buy a horse yet).

You'll know a horse is yours permanently (barring death) and won't run off because his name will be "Yourcharactername's Horse."

Luthos said:
I dunno man, I've bought several horses, and they still run off when I get off to fight some dudes. I mean they may get hit by the enemy, but they run WAY off.

There needs to be a "whistle" button like in Red Dead Redemption, to call your horse back to you.

If they get scared or hurt too much they'll get some distance but they should never completely run off. I agree it can be a little annoying to find them again sometimes but you can also just fast travel to the nearest point and they'll spawn there with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom