• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
izunadono said:
The blood's in your eyes.
No one can see drops of blood in their eyes. That shit would just barely make sense if my character was wearing glasses, but he isn't.

Noaloha

I'm playing on normal difficulty with the personal rule that I'm not putting any perks whatsoever into Smithing, Enchantment or Alchemy. The game's not ball-breaking, but the challenging areas are still challenging. Plus it makes the loot drops actually interesting! On subsequent playthroughs I'll bump up the difficulty and offset that by breaking the game with crafting.

Fjordson

cackhyena said:
I want a mod to remove all spiders from the game. Then I want actual birds in the sky. Then I want this all for 360 magically cuz I don't have the PC version.
Yeah, the spider sections are really difficult for me. I will probably play the PC version sometime next year and that'll be the first thing I mod out of the game. And of course I mostly dual-wield so I have to get up close...

I thought I was going to have a panic attack during the final Companions quest. So unfair that Vilkas (or was it Farkas) gets to say "yo man, I'm bad with spiders, you go on ahead!" but my arachnophobia is ignored =(

coopolon

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I hope the next DLC brings Dwarves back into the game world. I would love it if the Dwarves suddenly sailed in from a new continent or rose up from the deep cavernous networks below. This could be used as a lead in to a dwarven themed sequel.

BTW, I'm currently listening to the song "Dwarf Invasion" on my computer.

Despite how awesome their dungeons are, based on Morrowind dwarves are pretty sucky int he Elder Scrolls universe. They are basically just another race of elves. There are high elves, wood elves, dark elves, and dwarf elves.

Izuna

Banned
Dice said:
No one can see drops of blood in their eyes. That shit would just barely make sense if my character was wearing glasses, but he isn't.

Never gotten light-headed after a fight?

--

Anyway the point of the blood-splatter is to sort of emulate you feeling the blood all over yourself.

Zeliard

I find Master difficulty to be quite fun. Makes it so there are fewer shit mobs you can just roll through, and it helps in keeping the dragons feeling dragon-y.

I play a mage that's the definition of a glass cannon, so I can barely afford to get hit at all. I end up having to use various crowd-control spells to keep mobs off me. Makes battles tense and more enjoyable than they'd be on a lower difficulty.

I'm also keeping enchanting and smithing limited because I don't want to trivialize the entire loot system. :/

Rimfya

Banned
Also. I accidentally killed Lydia? Later, I went back to my house and HER FRIGGING CORPSE IS ON THE FLOOR OF THE SPARE BEDROOM.

I was like WHAT?! Then I played 'pet cemetery' and cast 'revive corpse' on her and it says 'Lydia is too powerful for revive corpse'.

So, I stripped everything off her cadaver to play dress ups but turns out I can't redress her.

So ... now I have an underwear-clad corpse in my house. Figured the only decent thing to do was to prop her up in one of the chairs near the fire so I can walk in the door and get freaked the hell out every time.

Game is weird.

Izuna

Banned
Rimfya said:
Also. I accidentally killed Lydia? Later, I went back to my house and HER FRIGGING CORPSE IS ON THE FLOOR OF THE SPARE BEDROOM.

I was like WHAT?! Then I played 'pet cemetery' and cast 'revive corpse' on her and it says 'Lydia is too powerful for revive corpse'.

So, I stripped everything off her cadaver to play dress ups but turns out I can't redress her.

So ... now I have an underwear-clad corpse in my house. Figured the only decent thing to do was to prop her up in one of the chairs near the fire so I can walk in the door and get freaked the hell out every time.

Game is weird.

O_O

Rimfya said:

Game is weird.

LOL this made me laugh way more than it should have hahah

Anteater

I just saw a man walking right out of my house right when I entered, how do you explain this Lydia?!

think it was a glitch where random stranger near my house spawned near the door, I think...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Rimfya said:
If you're playing on PC, target her, open the console, and enter Resurrect

Anteater said:
I just saw a man walking out of my house right when I entered, how do you explain this Lydia?!
That happened to me, but the dude talked to me. I'm like "WTF are you doing in my house, bro?!"

Lydia is a good explanation. That tramp didn't even leave when I got married.

NBtoaster

Finally had a dragon crash into the ground. Don't know what caused it, unless it was the fire from dawnbreaker, but it glitched out a bit because there was a shack in the way. And the dirt it raised means I cant enter the doorway of the shack lol. Still a neat effect anyway.

Echoplx

49/50 achievements, all i need to do is get to lvl 50 now. Begin the skill grinding!

Wish I could just get XP from quests/fighting

Zeliard

NBtoaster said:
Finally had a dragon crash into the ground. Don't know what caused it, unless it was the fire from dawnbreaker, but it glitched out a bit because there was a shack in the way. And the dirt it raised means I cant enter the doorway of the shack lol. Still a neat effect anyway.

It may be that they crash when their health bar depletes to a certain point as they're flying.

Is enchanting and smithing worth it for a pure destruction mage (with a little sneaking in there)? Also, is destruction absolutely worthless? I found myself stuck in a dungeon where I had to use a lift and for sanity's and sleep's sake I kicked the difficulty down to go through the last like 12 enemies. They were all on these spiraling walk-ways I had nowhere to manipulate the area and they'd just two shot me.

So far I'm like 18+ hours in and the magic is starting to feel pretty worthless as shit. Works great on trash but anything worth its salt kills me. I haven't even killed a dragon yet (only came across one so far and after killing it the giants killed me).

I am lvl 49 destro with Impact and I haven't seen a foe get staggered yet with dual casting and dual casting is all I do. Does it have to be the same spell? Because I do that too.

Just seems really worthless or I'm doing something wrong. My girlfriend is 1h/magic with heavier armor and she dies but she's rolling through the same shit I'm dying 15+ times on.

cackhyena

3chopl0x said:
49/50 achievements, all i need to do is get to lvl 50 now. Begin the skill grinding!

Wish I could just get XP from quests/fighting
No. I'm glad that's not the case here. You'd be OP in no time and everything would get stale super quick. Too much world to discover for that to happen.

Zeliard said:
I find Master difficulty to be quite fun. Makes it so there are fewer shit mobs you can just roll through, and it helps in keeping the dragons feeling dragon-y.

I play a mage that's the definition of a glass cannon, so I can barely afford to get hit at all. I end up having to use various crowd-control spells to keep mobs off me. Makes battles tense and more enjoyable than they'd be on a lower difficulty.
I prefer master difficulty in general, but sometimes all it really does is give enemies a lot more health. Playing as a pure mage, that just means I have to strafe around longer waiting for my magicka to regen. So I'll turn the difficulty down when I'm tired of spending time killing trash mobs.

Though I haven't found master difficulty to have much effect on dragon fights. It's pretty easy to avoid taking any damage from dragons, so it just takes more time to kill them on master.

NBtoaster

Zeliard said:
It may be that they crash when their health bar depletes to a certain point as they're flying.

Probably, but there was quite a bit of time between my last attack and when it entered into the crash lol.

Echoplx

cackhyena said:
No. I'm glad that's not the case here. You'd be OP in no time and everything would get stale super quick. Too much world to discover for that to happen.

Oh so obviously the better alternative is to force people to grind on skills they won't even use?

I already am OP btw, strongest items in the game and 1H/Magic/armor at 100

Arjen

I married a girl from riverwood, she's now living with me, and i have Lydia on standby in my house to. Pimpin it up yo.

cackhyena

3chopl0x said:
Oh so obviously the better alternative is to force people to grind on skills they won't even use?

I'm not grinding anything I'm not using. I'm not going for achievements so I guess I don't have to deal with that "dilemma". So yeah, to me this is better.

Salazar

Arjen said:
I married a girl from riverwood, she's now living with me, and i have Lydia on standby in my house to. Pimpin it up yo.

Need to be able to raise some children you can send as scouts into potentially dangerous dungeons.

Haha who is this fool that follows Mjoll the Lioness wherever she goes. I recruited her into
The blades
and now this dude tags along everytime we go out to hunt Dragons. I'm pretty sure he's going to get eaten real soon.

Echoplx

cackhyena said:
I'm not grinding anything I'm not using. I'm not going for achievements so I guess I don't have to deal with that "dilemma". So yeah, to me this is better.

Even if I wasn't going for the achievements (which I'm not really, it's more of just a 'progress marker' for me) I would still have to grind. How else am I supposed to level up? I've already got 1H/Magic/Smithing/Armor up to 100 and fully perked, so yeah I will have to grind shit I don't need.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, just when I think this game can't surprise me, it does, again.

(spoilered, just in case it's a scripted event/plot line thing)

Walking down a path to a set of ruins to get some phat loot, turn around a cnrner and there is a Dragon, sitting on a Rock, calmly waiting for me, there was no warning, no Dragon roars etc. just saw what looked like a slightly odd shaped rock until I got close enough to realise I was looking at a Frost Dragons ass and it turned around and attacked me.

This game!

Echoplx

faulty_fork said:
Haha who is this fool that follows Mjoll the Lioness wherever she goes. I recruited her into
The blades
and now this dude tags along everytime we go out to hunt Dragons. I'm pretty sure he's going to get eaten real soon.

Wait wat, how do you recruit people into the
blades
? Note that I decided not to kill
the good dragon
for them, do I have to do that?

I seriously love this game. Spent the last couple hours just hunting in the wilderness with my bow and arrows. Been following the stream now for a while and just found an abandoned prison.

Woo-Fu

Banned
3chopl0x said:

I don't think level matters much in modern Elder Scrolls games, so I'd say that nobody is forced to grind anything they don't want to. You can probably finish just about any quest in the game as easily at lvl 15 as at lvl 50.

I've been playing at mid-40s for days now because the skills I use all the time are maxed.

You really need to stop making "leveling up" your character an important goal, at least in this game.

3chopl0x said:
Wait wat, how do you recruit people into the
blades
? Note that I decided not to kill
the good dragon
for them, do I have to do that?

You bring a follower to their base and then speak to Delphine and she will induct them. Doesn't work with every follower though.

Edit: I haven't done that quest yet so it shouldn't matter.

Zeliard

Basileus777 said:
I prefer master difficulty in general, but sometimes all it really does is give enemies a lot more health. Playing as a pure mage, that just means I have to strafe around longer waiting for my magicka to regen. So I'll turn the difficulty down when I'm tired of spending time killing trash mobs.

Well, basically all it is doing is modifying damage values. As the difficulty goes up, enemies hit harder and take more to kill.

I find I'm still taking care of trash mobs quickly enough. Wolves and skeletons and whatnot are destroyed instantly with a firebolt. It's just that there are fewer enemies that can just be run through with no concern.

Basileus777 said:
Though I haven't found master difficulty to have much effect on dragon fights. It's pretty easy to avoid taking any damage from dragons, so it just takes more time to kill them on master.

It just means that since the battles tend to go on for longer, there's less margin for error. Dragons on Master will typically one-shot you if you don't have the proper resistances, so while it may be fairly easy to run from them, you still have to be on your toes especially if you tend to get in closer range.

Master difficulty makes it feel a little bit like Dark Souls in that you have to hit most enemies a shitload of times and basically can't afford to get hit once.

I fought a nasty Draugr Death Overlord in Skyrim that reminded me very much of a fight in Dark Souls. Not mechanically, obviously, but in terms of the tension and overall feel.

cackhyena

3chopl0x said:
Even if I wasn't going for the achievements (which I'm not really, it's more of just a 'progress marker' for me) I would still have to grind. How else am I supposed to level up? I've already got 1H/Magic/Smithing/Armor up to 100 and fully perked, so yeah I will have to grind shit I don't need.
If you are already OP and don't want anything else, why do you have to level anymore? Can't you just go on quests you want and do your thing? If it ain't about cheevos, I mean.

I basically did what you did with Oblivion and got so sick of the game. Really glad I'm not doing that this time around. Just letting things happen and soaking it in.

Echoplx

Ownin some dragon, I really like the finishing moves in this game.

iHYub2GdmhJfI.jpg

ibnwS8iOnSHBn.jpg

Volimar

cackhyena said:
I want a mod to remove all spiders from the game. Then I want actual birds in the sky. Then I want this all for 360 magically cuz I don't have the PC version.

Some day there will be a console that allows for add-on mods....

And when that day comes...

My God...

erragal

Well they really pulled a huge bait and switch for hybrids with spell/melee or spell/shield. Every single master level spell requires both hands to use. Not only does this completely destroy the purpose of the 5 dual casting perks in the game (And they don't tell you this anywhere) it also basically tells you to fuck off after playing most of the game one way "Oh you're screwed you gotta stand still for 6 seconds with both hands to cast this spell". If the spells are so powerful you need this to balance them, then you need to make the spells fit your existing game systems rather than forcing people to change their playstyle to adapt. If I'd known I couldn't use my shield with my best spells I'd have gone with a weapon instead.

It's really frustrating and absolutely terrible design. Also the last armor spell in alteration doesn't work with the not wearing armor perk in the alteration tree; in fact I'd rather be wearing heavy armor and using it.

Echoplx

cackhyena said:
If you are already OP and don't want anything else, why do you have to level anymore? Can't you just go on quests you want and do your thing? If it ain't about cheevos, I mean.

I basically did what you did with Oblivion and got so sick of the game. Really glad I'm not doing that this time around. Just letting things happen and soaking it in.

Because I want to increase my health/magicka, being a hybrid character means I had to spread points thin so i want as many as possible.

Volimar

cackhyena said:
Oh man that would be great.

inb4 master race says some day there will be no consoles.

Luthos said:
yea the worst part is that you either be a bastard, or just leave the quest at that moment and it just sits there. There aren't a lot of optional ways to finish them. And I don't mean I want a morality system or anything. But an option other than murderizing everything in sight would be nice.

I had this problem with Oblivion a bit too. I was roleplaying a paladin, and it is kind of surprising how many questlines treat killing/moral ambiguity so casually. I accepted that I wouldn't be doing thieves guild or Dark Brotherhood, but still. The Shivering Isles quests particularly.

It's nitpicking though because almost any other set up allows for such freedom. I don't even have Skyrim yet, but I've already got about a half dozen character types in mind. It's a bit far down the list, but I think a playthrough as a necromancer will be pretty fun.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
nib95 said:
Quick question, do enemies level up as you do in this game (like Oblivion). Because I really hated that.

no, it's Fallout 3 system.

Also some enemies never level up beyond a certain limit from my experience.

Woo-Fu

Banned
nib95 said:
Quick question, do enemies level up as you do in this game (like Oblivion). Because I really hated that.

Some do. It isn't as noticeable though, I think in part because in many cases the mob and or encounter changes.

Example: instead of getting a draug with buffed armor/hp, you get a new draug class. Restless Draug>>>>Draug Deathlord (I skipped a few steps in there), and they don't just change the mobs in place, the encounters "upgrade" too. Instead of there being just a wimpy draug or two there'll be 5 or 6 of the bastards, including the higher level ones.

On the Blood on the Ice/Dark Brotherhood conflict with regards to unlocking the house option:

Nilsine Shatter-shield is an optional kill in one of the Dark Brotherhood quests. If you kill her then the Butcher can't kill her so Blood on the Ice never triggers.

Playing around with the console I brought her back to life and she is wandering around town. Maybe the Butcher will kill her one of these days and start the quest for me. If not I've read that I can simply kill the butcher without any of the quest stuff to get the house purchase option to work.

During the course of this I found something pretty interesting, there is a "morgue" of sorts where the game stores dead NPCs. I transported myself to Nilsine, only to end up in a weird cross-shaped room with a pile of corpses and two coffins. Reloaded the game and transported her corpse to me, brought her back to life and then saved, quit, reloaded, did some quick travel, made sure she was still wandering around, she is. Crossing my fingers.

Zeliard

erragal said:
Well they really pulled a huge bait and switch for hybrids with spell/melee or spell/shield. Every single master level spell requires both hands to use. Not only does this completely destroy the purpose of the 5 dual casting perks in the game (And they don't tell you this anywhere) it also basically tells you to fuck off after playing most of the game one way "Oh you're screwed you gotta stand still for 6 seconds with both hands to cast this spell". If the spells are so powerful you need this to balance them, then you need to make the spells fit your existing game systems rather than forcing people to change their playstyle to adapt. If I'd known I couldn't use my shield with my best spells I'd have gone with a weapon instead.

It's really frustrating and absolutely terrible design. Also the last armor spell in alteration doesn't work with the not wearing armor perk in the alteration tree; in fact I'd rather be wearing heavy armor and using it.

Not seeing the problem there at all.

The idea behind the Master-level spells is that they're hugely powerful and are basically pure mage spells, hence the cast time and requirement for two hands. They are inherently dual casted spells but I don't see how they trivialize the dual casting perks. Those perks still function and will still be useful for the lower magic sets which are highly functional and which you can often get off in combat far more quickly (and if your magicka reduction isn't up to scratch, for much cheaper).

That is basically the top-tier of mage abilities; it stands to reason that as a hybrid character, you may not get as much use out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom