• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay thieves guild fun

stealing the translation thing from the Dwemer museum was fun, I snuck through most of it but did have to run from a few guards, hope I didn't miss anything fun to pick up in there, I got the puzzle cube..........and I loved pickpocketing the key to the place and not having to go fight some spider......

Arjen said:

I liked it, as I had set out from the start to find all the books and store them in my own private library! So to find points of interest appear on the map, and quests, after reading books was great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
kottila said:
I didn't really get it. Is it a reference to something?
Well The entire quest is a reference to
The Hangover... The goat = the tiger, you don't remember an engagement, you've completely lost the person you were drinking with, etc.
. The end
is just Sanguine, one of the Daedric Princes, making life a little more like The Hangover for the fuck of it. None of the shit you experienced was legit, he was just messing with you- you can read about him to see that that's his style. But he's not all bad and gives you a pretty nice item for your trouble.

Hawkian said:
Well The entire quest is a reference to
The Hangover... The goat = the tiger, you don't remember an engagement, you've completely lost the person you were drinking with, etc.
. The end
is just Sanguine, one of the Daedric Princes, making life a little more like The Hangover for the fuck of it. None of the shit you experienced was legit, he was just messing with you- you can read about him to see that that's his style. But he's not all bad and gives you a pretty nice item for your trouble.
Mind = blown.

Luthos

3chopl0x said:
Man why do master spells have to be two handed, really screws up my battle axe/shock build.
My character's no mage, but I've used a few two-handed spells from scrolls. They look so freaking awesome. Especially the Blizzard one.

Can't wait to get them on my mage character.

Echoplx

So uh anyone recommend some good side quests? I've pretty much beaten the game aside from sidequests and don't want to wade through all the shit.

cackhyena

3chopl0x said:
So uh anyone recommend some good side quests? I've pretty much beaten the game aside from sidequests and don't want to wade through all the shit.
You haven't done guilds? The guild stuff is usually better than the main quest. And there is plenty of good regular sidequests. Go play the real game, jeez.

NBtoaster

The area to the north and west of Winterhold is amazing. The completely snowy areas of this game are done incredibly well.

I like horkers :3 I aggroed a few and ran away, they just flopped about trying to get to me, when I came back they had been slaughtered by a snow bear.

3chopl0x said:
I think you picked the wrong game for your style of play.

3chopl0x said:
Look for:

- the smith wanting to find a dog in Falkreath
- a prisoner locked up in Falkreath
- an abandoned house in Markarth
- an eccentric fellow roaming around near the Bard's College in Solitude
- a big-ass statue near Winter Hold
- a drinking buddy in a tavern, he can be pretty much anywhere from what I hear
- a guy pleading to the Jarl of Solitude that she sends a few soldiers to clear out a cave

And while you're doing that, you'll find some more good ones, I'm sure of it.

Echoplx

cackhyena said:
You haven't done guilds? The guild stuff is usually better than the main quest. And there is plenty of good regular sidequests. Go play the real game, jeez.

I've done all the guilds, I don't think they're classed as sidequests though.

I've already played for 100 hours, I'd just like to do some of the more noteworthy sidequests before putting it down and waiting for DLC

daviyoung

Banned
Is there any way to have the quest log and the map open simultaneously? I'd like to find quests close to my position but it's a pain navigating back and forth.

Shoogoo

Picking a race based on what you plan to level isn't that important now is it? If I want to make an archer, I could pick Argonian even though they starts that skill at 15. It'd just be faster if I took Bosmer but that's all there is to it, right?

NBtoaster

3chopl0x said:

I've already played for 100 hours, I'd just like to do some of the more noteworthy sidequests before putting it down and waiting for DLC

How much have you explored? Enough to get the explorer achievement?

Echoplx

Blue Ninja said:
Look for:

- an abandoned house in Markarth
- an eccentric fellow roaming around near the Bard's College in Solitude
- a big-ass statue near Winter Hold
- a drinking buddy in a tavern, he can be pretty much anywhere from what I hear
- a guy pleading to the Jarl of Solitude that she sends a few soldiers to clear out a cave

I've done all 15 deadric quests. I'll check out the Solitude one.

kottila

daviyoung said:
Is there any way to have the quest log and the map open simultaneously? I'd like to find quests close to my position but it's a pain navigating back and forth.

Select all quest in the log, so they all show up on the map?

mileS

Okay smithing is really strange.... I just tested something out, trying to upgrade my Krosis mask, the one with 20% more bow damage etc etc (from one of the dragon priests) Alright I got to 100 smithing, I didn't put any perks into the tree yet, and I can only upgrade the mask to flawless, or at least it says that, but I need the magic armor and weapons perk from the middle of that tree to actually do it. Anyways I get that perk, but I can still only upgrade it to flawless. So I play around with my 6 other perks I have left and I come to find out I can upgrade the mask to "Legendary" If I put a perk into the daedric armor and weapons.... what the hell? how does that make any sense at all? This game can be really annoying if you're a min/max nut like I am.

I was thinking about going that way in the smithing tree anyway, just to get up to dragon armor. That way I can at least make the daedric weapons. My character is a stealth archer/daggers so it would work out that way but it seems like a lot of wasted perks to get to that point. I haven't decided what I want to do yet. I wonder what other kinds of "special" gear you can upgrade to legendary with that perk that you can't otherwise. Maybe its a bug, maybe it was intended... but it should at least be more clear in the text about it. Hell maybe I'm not enough into the lore and the dragon priest masks have something to do with daedra that I don't know about.

cackhyena

3chopl0x said:

Man, where did you find the time? I'm at 40 and feel like I've been playing night and day. Got it release day, too.

This was posted in the PC thread but everyone using a 360 pad on the PC can rejoice, there is a mod to use the 8 directions of the d-pad for favourite keys just like Oblivion.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=332

Just tested it myself and it works really well. So stoked with this, now I can really take advantage of my mage skills ;)

This completely changes the way the game is played. Remember to download EXPANDED 360 HOTKEYS NO B as the initial one is wrong.

Maybrick

Neo Member
Wondered if anyone else has had this problem or could help me.

I'm on the part of the main quest when you meet Delphine and she tells you to speak to that dude Malborn in Solitude to get ready for some party. She said to give him stuff that you'll need once you're inside. I only gave him a few things, the quest moved onto the next stage saying to go back to Delphine but when I talk to her, it says something about how I need to give him more stuff. When I go back to the inn he isnt there :(

Anyone else had this or can suggest something?

BigJonsson said:
Where does Maven Black Briar hang out, I need to ask her something
In the Inn (Called 'The Bee...' something or other). Either on the second floor or in the market outside.

mileS

BigJonsson said:
Where does Maven Black Briar hang out, I need to ask her something
*edit blah beaten..
Shes usually upstairs in the bar @ Riften. but there was a point in that quest line where she would be right outside the bar near the market area or right by the door.

anyone read my post about smithing? has anyone tried to see if you can upgrade any other special gear to legendary? If the krosis mask worked I'm wondering about the dark brotherhood gear or the Nightingale set.

mileS said:
*edit blah beaten..
Shes usually upstairs in the bar @ Riften. but there was a point in that quest line where she would be right outside the bar near the market area or right by the door.

anyone read my post about smithing? has anyone tried to see if you can upgrade any other special gear to legendary?

NM
Found her

newsguy

Ugh, encountered my first glitch. I was doing the waking
nightmare quest and the guy disappeared in nightcaller temple. Apparently this is a common glitch. If anyone knows a solution for the console versions please chime in.

Finished the College of Winterhold quest line. Damn, the last few dungeons were bruuuuutal. To those of you who finished all the College quests to the end, how in the world did you beat
Morokei
? He kept frying me in one or two hits, until on one try I got lucky and he glitched or something and just flew around the room without attacking me. My usual strategy of summoning an Atronarch or Daedra and then blasting the boss with fireballs while he was distracted didn't work either,because he kept turning them on me. :(

Seems like a good place to stop for the night...I'm at level 24, my highest stats are Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting, and One-Handed. I'm minoring in Alchemy, Light Armor, Restoration and Lockpicking, I suppose. I think I may Alteration there, too, because the armor spells may help me, but I feel like I'm starting too late on that and I don't want to spread myself too thin on perks.

Dries

Blue Ninja said:
Look for:

Falkreath? That's that small town near where you start, right? Why haven't I found these quests?

mxgt

Banned
Incendiary said:
Finished the College of Winterhold quest line. Damn, the last few dungeons were bruuuuutal. To those of you who finished all the College quests to the end, how in the world did you beat
Morokei
? He kept frying me in one or two hits, until on one try I got lucky and he glitched or something and just flew around the room without attacking me. My usual strategy of summoning an Atronarch or Daedra and then blasting the boss with fireballs while he was distracted didn't work either,because he kept turning them on me. :(

Lydia tanked him for me while I healed her and provided occasional damage. Wasn't that bad but I imagine it being awful for a pure mage without a companion or sufficient illusion

Phoenix4

I'm thinking of ordering this for the holidays after all the glowing reviews, but although i know it isn't, it still feels a little bit as a reskin for Oblivion (which is probably saying Killzone is a reskin of Halo). Could someone please clarify if these issues i had with Oblivion are fixed:

- Copy/Paste dungeon design. Nice that there were hundreds of dungeons in Oblivion, but they all the had the same feel and layout

- Loot. No use exploring a full dungeon if there isn't anything worthwhile at the end.

- Enemy Leveling. Common bandits with Daedric armor

- Leveling System. Choosing your favorite skills in character building was actually a disadvantage in levelling up and made you relatively weaker compared to your enemies.

Styles

Incendiary said:
Morokei

Seems like a good place to stop for the night...I'm at level 24, my highest stats are Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting, and One-Handed. I'm minoring in Alchemy, Light Armor, Restoration and Lockpicking, I suppose. I think I may Alteration there, too, because the armor spells may help me, but I feel like I'm starting too late on that and I don't want to spread myself too thin on perks.

I summoned a
Storm Atronach using a scroll I found to fight him
So op. When can I get that spell?

KaYotiX

Banned
Phoenix4 said:
I'm thinking of ordering this for the holidays after all the glowing reviews, but although i know it isn't, it still feels a little bit as a reskin for Oblivion (which is probably saying Killzone is a reskin of Halo). Could someone please clarify if these issues i had with Oblivion are fixed:

All i know is i hated Oblivion and i LOVE skyrim.

Dries said:
Falkreath? That's that small town near where you start, right? Why haven't I found these quests?
You probably mean Riverwood. Falkreath is a slightly bigger town (and a Hold capital) not too far from there. I think the fastest way to reach it is to travel to Helgen and follow the road from there.

Phoenix4 said:

- Copy/Paste dungeon design. Nice that there were hundreds of dungeons in Oblivion, but they all the had the same feel and layout

- Loot. No use exploring a full dungeon if there isn't anything worthwhile at the end.

- Leveling System. Choosing your favorite skills in character building was actually a disadvantage in levelling up and made you relatively weaker compared to your enemies.
- The dungeons, or at least the majority of them, feel unique. They're definitely not copy-paste like in Oblivion.
- There's usually a chest or a boss character at the end of a dungeon with some worthwhile loot.
- Enemies still level with you (to an extent), but it's a lot less intrusive than in Oblivion. You also won't start running into bandits wearing anything better than Steel armor. You'll occasionally run into tougher enemies. This is possible from level 1, though.
- The leveling system's been revamped. There are no more "major skills" you can choose.

Luthos

Phoenix4 said:

- dungeon design in Skyrim is SO GOOD. Now some of the more similar dungeon types look somewhat alike. They have at least similar themes. But still are so much more unique than Oblivion it isn't even funny.

- I think in my experience there almost always is a giant chest at the end of dungeons. But it's random if you get any worthwhile armor, or maybe some expensive gems or whatnot.

- I have yet to see ANY enemy called bandit with armor better than steel. It's hide, leather, steel, or iron or a combination fo the above. However, I think I have seen them with more rare weapons like elven or dwarven.

- leveling is perfectly fine here. You level up by using skills, and does not use the screwed up leveling system of Oblivion.

Basically... Skyrim obliterates nearly everything Oblivion did. Oblivion is pretty much obsolete, imo.

Duki

Banned
Incendiary said:
Morokei
?
beat the shit out of him with my shield

no need to get complicated

mxgt said:
Lydia tanked him for me while I healed her and provided occasional damage. Wasn't that bad but I imagine it being awful for a pure mage without a companion or sufficient illusion

Yup, that was me. After Lydia died on me (R.I.P.) I've been traveling solo since having an atronach or a zombie assistant hanging around has worked well enough. Except for him, who basically countered everything I was good at. I still managed to get through it with dumb luck, though, so thank goodness for that.

balddemon

Banned
Incendiary said:
Morokei
? .

he got stuck on a wall so i shot him full of arrows :p

cackhyena

Uuuum, at the end of The Forsworn Conspiracy
is my guy supposed to be lying there dead at the hands of Imperials? Sure doesn't seem like it, because the marker still floats where he should have been standing. I've reloaded a bunch of times and it's always the same thing. If I leave the place, the arrow stil says to go in there to tell hi what went down.

Dries

Blue Ninja said:
You probably mean Riverwood. Falkreath is a slightly bigger town (and a Hold capital) not too far from there. I think the fastest way to reach it is to travel to Helgen and follow the road from there.

No, we're meaning the same town, but I've never seen those quests.. :eek:

Drazgul

mileS said:
anyone read my post about smithing? has anyone tried to see if you can upgrade any other special gear to legendary? If the krosis mask worked I'm wondering about the dark brotherhood gear or the Nightingale set.

I think you need to wear a full set of smithing enchants to be able to upgrade some of them to legendary. 100 skill in itself is not enough.

robin2

When I'm moving in a cave that has water, it's like I, for an instant, "blink underwater".

It's just like this: I'm walking and the screen goes bluish-green, coupled with the typical sound of being underwater. This lasts just a fraction of a second but it happen a lot, intermittently as I move (even turning around).

I'm the only one experiencing this ?

It's really fucking annoying.

Acidote

Leveling Blacksmithing is insultingly easy. I just jumped from one vendor to another buying iron and leather strips. I intend to keep doing it until I've maxed blacksmithing. Then as soon as they sell the mats I'm making some of the top tier stuff (dragon or ebony, daedric looks far for now).

Merchants scaling and resupply break the difficulty on crafting higher level gear.

cackhyena

Drazgul said:
I think you need to wear a full set of smithing enchants to be able to upgrade some of them to legendary. 100 skill in itself is not enough.
Nah, I've made legendary stuff without smith enhanced apparel. I'm at 100 and one perk below Dragon Bone making.

Dries said:
No, we're meaning the same town, but I've never seen those quests.. :eek:
That prisoner should definitely be there: talk to a few of the guys in town, one of them will mention
his daughter being killed by him
. As for the dog, a random guardsmen approached me when I took a carriage there and asked me about it. Maybe the starts of those quests are all randomized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom