• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woorloog said:
Stamina determines the limit. Focus every level on stamina and you can carry a lot of stuff (and die easily and don't have magicka to cast...)
And there's a perk to increase your carry weight by 100, too.

Very well done OT. Not too overdone, just clean and useful. I already have my week of vacation approved so I am READY for this game. My days off start the 11th and I don't go back to work until the 21st!

I have already told my friends to check on me occasionally and make sure I actually make it outdoors every couple of days. Hmm, I might need to stock up on some provisions.

ironcreed

Banned
Here is a new interview with Todd Howard clocking in at around 30 minutes on Gamespot's show, The Hot Spot. If anything, you will come to respect Todd and Bethesda even more for what kind of games they make after listening to this. As some of the questions made me want to cringe. For instance:

- Is there really still a place for these huge single player games?

- Ever consider maybe shipping off The Elder Scrolls to another developer, so you can release more games more frequently?

- Do you have plans to add multiplayer?

To sum up Todd's answers, he basically said that there is still a large enough audience that still wants these huge, content packed epics, so of course they are still relevant. Fortunately, these are the types of games that they love to make and they will take as long as the game needs to release one. As far as multiplayer, he said that it always gets brought up, but always gets voted down because, at the end of the day, they love making these huge, content packed single player games.

If this does not make single player and/or RPG fans appreciate Bethesda, then I don't know what will. You better be happy that we still have developers like Bethesda, despite whatever niggles and warts might be in their games here and there.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/the-hotspot/video.html?sid=6343995

zlatko

Banned
Woorloog said:
Stamina determines the limit. Focus every level on stamina and you can carry a lot of stuff (and die easily and don't have magicka to cast...)

Fudge. This is one of those features in games I wish would just die off already. ; ;

Is there at least some other kind of abilities or skills to give you extra weight limit without raising Stamina itself? Is there a frequent amount of vendors or places to store your loot ?

Edit: Nice! 100 extra weight perk ftw. :)

Complistic

ironcreed said:
- Is there really still a place for these huge single player games?

- Ever consider maybe shipping off The Elder Scrolls to another developer, so you can release more games more frequently?

- Do you have plans to add multiplayer?

This makes me feel a little sick.

zlatko said:
Fudge. This is one of those features in games I wish would just die off already. ; ;

Is there at least some other kind of abilities or skills to give you extra weight limit without raising Stamina itself? Is there a frequent amount of vendors or places to store your loot ?

Edit: Nice! 100 extra weight perk ftw. :)

so make a companion your pack mule.

Woorloog

Banned
abundant said:
Pickpocket
Requires 50 skill hmm... Ah dammit, do i start as warrior, thief or mage or mix of some? Too many choices!

EDIT i still want 2 player co-op to Elder Scrolls. But just two players, no more.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pickpocketing needs to be made more useful. Like, have certain areas in game totally inaccessible until you can pickpocket the key or something. I don't remember Pickpocketing in Oblivion being all that interesting to pursue (even though its wrapped into Stealth).

GreekWolf said:
Ha! There's an old face (figuratively, not literally) from Oblivion GAF.

Good to see you again, Jedi. Why the hiatus?

Hey GW! Wondered if there were any old faces from the Oblivion thread in this one! :) That was THE epic thread back in the day. Nothing else came close before then.

The hiatus is mostly do to time constraints. Working on several projects and expanding career options, etc. It's been good for everything but my ability to play games. But, that said, I definitely want to make time for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.

For references, ME2 was the last game I played. Loved it! :)

Khezu

BlueTsunami said:
Pickpocketing needs to be made more useful. Like, have certain areas in game totally inaccessible until you can pickpocket the key or something. I don't remember Pickpocketing in Oblivion being all that interesting to pursue (even though its wrapped into Stealth).

It seems to be more useful in this one, because you can like steal the clothes off peoples back, or the weapons. Makes no sense, but sounds hilarious.

Woorloog

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Main reason i never did it, it was tied to stealth... far easier to train it by sneaking around. But this time... i may use pickpocketing just because. Perfect Touch perk looks especially interesting...

Blue Ninja said:
No. It's in the OT, too:

Instead, you can use your Smithing skill to temporarily improve your weapon and armor stats, and you can craft new weapons and armors from raw components as well.
Oh my bad. Didn't catch that!

I'm glad though. Smithing sounds way more fun.

Got this paid off on Amazon for release day shipping, new to the series but from what I've seen this is a game with an insane amount of content and beautiful environments to explore, looks like a game I can't pass up.

U2NUMB

I sure hope I can finish this Bethesda game.. No idea why but I just fade half way through on them similar to Rockstar games but I buy them all and love them for when I do play them.

VERY excited for this though!

ironcreed

Banned
Complistic said:
This makes me feel a little sick

It did me as well. There were critical undertones to nearly every question. In fact, I almost got the vibe that Gamespot may be getting tired of The Elder Scrolls formula or something.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ironcreed said:
It did me as well. There were critical undertones to nearly every question. In fact, I almost got the vibe that Gamespot may be getting tired of The Elder Scrolls formula or something.
It's just game journalists being cynics for the sake of it. It's their interpretation of interesting questions.

ironcreed said:
Well fuck 'em, then.

rataven

Aw yea, can't wait for this! So ready for more Elder Scrolls. Skyrim also ushers in my crazy fall gaming season, with AC:R and Zelda right behind it. Great problem to have though!

ironcreed

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Well fuck 'em, then.

LOL, indeed. Of course he could have just been trying to sound competent by asking the 'tough questions.' It just came off as a bit negative to me, I don't know. Anyway, hearing questions like that posed will only make me appreciate the game even more for what it is.

Woorloog

Banned
The racial list confirms that i need to make a Heavy Armored Khajiit at some point and concentrate on fist fighting.

GreekWolf

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hey GW! Wondered if there were any old faces from the Oblivion thread in this one! :) That was THE epic thread back in the day. Nothing else came close before then.

The hiatus is mostly do to time constraints. Working on several projects and expanding career options, etc. It's been good for everything but my ability to play games. But, that said, I definitely want to make time for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.

For references, ME2 was the last game I played. Loved it! :)
I know exactly what you mean, my friend. Lord knows, if I would just cut my gaming time in half and focus on career opportunities, I'd probably be retired under a coconut tree and surrounded by beach bikinis.

Oh well, c'est la vie. Great to see you back
thumbsup.gif

Wallach

Think I'm still going to go Breton. I'm curious if dragons speaking fire/ice count as magic attacks; they should, right?

Midou

Sweet OT.

Those gamespot interview questions about multiplayer are such BS, I love me some multiplayer, but were it to become standard in too many genres, games would certainly lose some of their soul. We have online RPGs, they are called MMOs.

zethren

Banned
Officially aboard the hype train. Dark Elf Battlemage here I come!

Blue Ninja said:
And there's one tiny detail in the banner some of SkyrimGAF (if such a thing even exists) might notice if they compare it with the version I showed them a couple of days ago.

Dragons :)

Great additional detail.

Nakasan

Great OT blue! Funny thing is, even if skyrim was only a vehicle to experience new soule fantasy music and nothing else, it'd be totally worth it... To think we get all that game as well... My goodness! This game looks set to deliver so so much! I'm desperate for ps3 impressions!! Please don't snatch the dream away cell processor! Not now... Not like this...

Derrick01

Banned
Khezu said:
Well degradation isn't completely gone, weapons and armor just can't go below 100%, if you use smithing, you can raise your gear to 200%, and it degrades normally back to 100%. Not really the same thing, but its uh something I guess.

Yeah it's something I suppose. It still eliminates strategy and responsibility since if it just drops back to 100% then who gives a shit? At least if there was a threat that it would degrade to 0% and you'd effectively be useless against a monster it would force some responsibility instead of more head on charges by the player.

Hari Seldon

Although these games look excellent and super fun, I have trouble getting into them with their incoherent and bland story.

Arrows are rare??? The fuck???

How does this make any sense?

Can you at least make them since you can do other shit like making lumber?

I mean, how the fuck are swords be common but arrows are rare?

Woorloog

Banned
Wallach said:
Well, it may be related to the game taking place in Skyrim.
Indeed, imperials are not exactly liked currently, with civil war going on and new empire being formed by a warlord...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hari Seldon said:
Although these games look excellent and super fun, I have trouble getting into them with their incoherent and bland story.

This seems to be the case for all Morrowind games. Real talk, I never beat Oblivions main story until a couple of months ago (and before that three playthroughs of the game since it was release). There's far more interesting thing to do outside of the main story but I can understand why people can't get into these games due to the lack of focus in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom