• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wallach said:
So I need to pre-order this today; any place have a decent sale on it perhaps? Do pre-orders from other sites like D2D even get to pre-load?

Same thing I've been wondering so here's for a new page.

Einbroch

Banned
Some pirate justice:

My friend saved his game to a crappy USB drive and it was corrupted! Now he has to start over!

zethren

Banned
Woorloog said:
Yeah, it is very good, if you like reading... Morrowind was like a novel in some respects.

One of the aspects of Morrowind that I absolutely loved, and missed in the change to Oblivion's dialog style. I greatly preferred the walls of text to the zoom-in-on-ugly's face dialog system.

But at the same time I understand the change. It's just my Morrowind nostalgia.

I do really like the way dialog is handled in Skyrim, though. The fact that the camera doesn't zoom in on the person's face is a great change, and I love that we are free to move our character around during dialog. It's such a small thing, but it's a massive improvement for me personally.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Blue Ninja said:
I've been replaying Morrowind in anticipation, and yeah, the story is really good.
Started playing Morrowind recently since I was too young to get into it when it released.

I find it annoying that I can take down ghosts and skeletons like a badass, but I get my butt handed to me by humans >.< taking forever to get to level 2.

Features:

Skyrim has made a lot of changes and improvements to the TES-formula. For those of us who played Oblivion, these are the main differences.

Oblivion's 21 skills have been condensed into 18 and include a few new additions like Pickpocketing
Oblivion's 8 attributes have been streamlined into 3 (Health, Magicka, Stamina)

You no longer choose major skills, each skill increase helps you level up
Birthsigns are no longer chosen at the start of the game
You can choose your character’s build, give him a beard of an impressive set of tattoos
Different level-scaling system, more akin to Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Fast-travel to undiscovered cities now costs gold, you can still fast-travel to locations you’ve discovered using your in-game map
New conversation system takes place in real-time
You can get married to NPCs of either gender
Radiant A.I. has been improved
Wildlife no longer automatically attacks you
Armor and weapons no longer degrade
Chestplates and greaves have been combined into one armor piece
Bows are more powerful, but arrows are a lot more rare
Lockpicking functions more like in Fallout 3/New Vegas
Spells have to be equipped before being used, much like in Morrowind
Third-person camera has been significantly improved
Backwards running speed has been severely reduced
Sneak status is a combination of Oblivion’s and Fallout’s system
Health now slowly regenerates outside of combat

Bolded parts make me sad :(

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
MeBecomingI said:
My PC is ready... bring it on Skyrim! I want my mods... sorry PS3 and 360. You fail this round.

I've been replaying Morrowind completely overhauled (took forever) and it's awesome. Usually I play vanilla at release and then play again down the road with mods so I lose a couple hundred hours of my life more than once to this series.

Chris R

See You Next Wednesday said:
Me too, but what are you going to do? They are making the game more accessible to newer players and by doing that are making boatloads of money.

QP3

I cannot remember the last time I was THIS excited about a games release.

Considering picking up the stately guide just to have and to hold and love.

Any recommendations on which one to grab?

syllogism

So you don't like streamlining but do like free fast travel to cities? Fast travel to unexplored cities costs gold because you've pay for a wagon ride. And how is arrows being a bit rarer a bad thing

abundant

Breton's are going to be OP against magic users. Dragonskin + Atronach perk in the Alteration tree = Absorb 80% of magicka from hostile spells for 60 seconds.

zethren

Banned

Which part about the fast travel makes you sad? At least you can't fast travel to places you haven't been free of charge. Now at least it's more like Morrowind's Silt Striders.

I'm really excited for this game but from my experiences with Bethesda games on the PS3 I'll wait until I have confirmation it's quality is on par with the 360.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
syllogism said:
So you don't like streamlining but do like free fast travel to cities? Fast travel to unexplored cities costs gold because you've pay for a wagon ride
And let's not forget Oblivion's leveling is the worst system ever implemented into a videogame.

Aurora

Having chestplate and greaves combined into a single armor piece is such a terrible idea. I can't believe that got the approval.

Wallach

abundant said:
Breton's are going to be OP against magic users. Dragonskin + Atronach perk in the Alteration tree = Absorb 80% of magicka from hostile spells for 60 seconds.

Not as OP as they were in Morrowind/Oblivion. Bretons have always been the boss hogs of magicka.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Story-wise, how closely will Skyrim resember New Vegas? I didn't really get into the story of Oblivion and FO3 but loved New Vegas. I think I remember reading some of the New Vegas Team were helping on Skyrim but I could be wrong.

QP3 said:
I cannot remember the last time I was THIS excited about a games release.

Considering picking up the stately guide just to have and to hold and love.

Any recommendations on which one to grab?
Go with the hard bound guide. Amazon has it for $25.

QP3

Reluctant-Hero said:
Go with the hard bound guide. Amazon has it for $25.

Wow that's a good deal. I also happen to have a $20 amazon gift card thanks to my BF3 pre-order.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Here's the time for me to admit it.

I've had three playthroughs of Oblivion, two at 200+ hours.

I have not beaten the main story once.
KuGsj.gif

Midou

zethren said:
Which part about the fast travel makes you sad? At least you can't fast travel to places you haven't been free of charge. Now at least it's more like Morrowind's Silt Striders.

Yeah, I was thinking similarly. I also think in general, the fast travel in Oblivion allowed it to keep a better pace than the slow walking between new areas in Morrowind.

bengraven

There's a three hour video on the usual sites. I just watched a bit. First off: got it's great to see a nice little village with no walls. Second: mill grinding Conan-style. Third: great character interactions - you can just sit and watch multiple characters talking to start a quest, not just two people talking like in Oblivion ("Hey, have you heard about Penisbarrow Cave?" "YOU NOW HAVE A QUEST").

Also, this chick:

vWPht.jpg

appears to be the one in the video...a companion named Lydia. In this video she's wearing some light leather or chain armor and has a huge two-hander strapped to her back. Also, has a sexy voice.

v0mitg0d

ironcreed said:
Here is a new interview with Todd Howard clocking in at around 30 minutes on Gamespot's show, The Hot Spot. If anything, you will come to respect Todd and Bethesda even more for what kind of games they make after listening to this. As some of the questions made me want to cringe. For instance:

- Is there really still a place for these huge single player games?

- Ever consider maybe shipping off The Elder Scrolls to another developer, so you can release more games more frequently?

- Do you have plans to add multiplayer?

To sum up Todd's answers, he basically said that there is still a large enough audience that still wants these huge, content packed epics, so of course they are still relevant. Fortunately, these are the types of games that they love to make and they will take as long as the game needs to release one. As far as multiplayer, he said that it always gets brought up, but always gets voted down because, at the end of the day, they love making these huge, content packed single player games.

If this does not make single player and/or RPG fans appreciate Bethesda, then I don't know what will. You better be happy that we still have developers like Bethesda, despite whatever niggles and warts might be in their games here and there.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/the-hotspot/video.html?sid=6343995

I cannot find this on youtube. Anyone got a link?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Is there companions in this game a la Fallout? i.e. people that will follow you?

Meier

So excited. HATE that video games somehow think it's a good idea to embargo reviews until the day of or before they're released. It's insane. That is the mark of a shitty movie.. why can't video games get with the program?

This is my most anticipated game of this gen but I always avoid info on games I like so as to not be spoiled.. pretty disappointed about the fact there are only 3 attributes now apparently. That seems like a major step-backwards regardless of whether it makes it easier for new players.

Skirn

Great OT. :)

Anyone rolled a Necromancer-like character in a TES game before? How are the summoned creatures' fighting prowess?

And a friend just texted me that there are removed (even though it was under spoiler-markings). What a fucking ass-hat for spoiling that surprise.

EDIT: Sorry to whomever highlighted it.

bengraven

K2Valor said:
Is there companions in this game a la Fallout? i.e. people that will follow you?

Yes, and apparently a lot more. I've heard, though I can't confirm, that you can have almost anyone as a companion.

Which is great, because Lucy West not being a companion was a tragedy.

Derrick01 said:
That it exists at all. The game would be so much better without it.

...Don't use it? Just walk everywhere and don't use fast travel it that tickles your fancy. That's what I'll be doing most of the time, big part of the fun is exploring. I can see myself using fast travel on my 3rd playthrough though.

Dyno

Derrick01 said:
That it exists at all. The game would be so much better without it.

They had fast travel in Oblivion. I used it very rarely. You have the same option here.

There are so many games to play these days but I am looking forward to this all the same.

ced

bengraven said:
Yes, and apparently a lot more. I've heard, though I can't confirm, that you can have almost anyone as a companion.

Which is great, because Lucy West not being a companion was a tragedy.

I wonder if we can murder our companions after getting any use out of them.

GasProblem said:
...Don't use it? Just walk everywhere and don't use fast travel it that tickles your fancy.
Morrowind's solution to fast travel was much more elegant. Between the silt striders, the boats, and the mage guild's teleportation you could reach most parts of the continent within minutes while keeping the sense of scale intact.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My will is going to be tested big time when this game delivers next friday and I'm not supposed to open it. :(

Biggzy

Meier said:
So excited. HATE that video games somehow think it's a good idea to embargo reviews until the day of or before they're released. It's insane. That is the mark of a shitty movie.. why can't video games get with the program?

This is my most anticipated game of this gen but I always avoid info on games I like so as to not be spoiled.. pretty disappointed about the fact there are only 3 attributes now apparently. That seems like a major step-backwards regardless of whether it makes it easier for new players.

I believe this has always been Bethesda policy and is normally not a reflection over the quality of the game. But I have to agree with you it's a brain dead policy and more than anything puts me off from buying the game.

Derrick01

Banned
GasProblem said:
...Don't use it? Just walk everywhere and don't use fast travel it that tickles your fancy. That's what I'll be doing most of the time, big part of the fun is exploring. I can see myself using fast travel on my 3rd playthrough though.

I believe Evilore went into this a long time ago, but just ignoring it doesn't change anything as the quests are designed around the ability to fast travel. I'll try to find his post but I have no idea where it was.

syllogism

archnemesis said:
Morrowind's solution to fast travel was much more elegant. Between the silt striders, the boats, and the mage guild's teleportation you could reach most parts of the continent within minutes while keeping the sense of scale and perspective intact.
That wasn't elegant at all and mostly just resulted in having to make pointless trips between places you had already been into. I'll rather allocate my time in the game as I see fit. The only way to actually make the lack of fast travelling interesting is by making wilderness very dangerous and random

Khezu

Meier said:

Video games are different then movies in that there a lot longer, developers usually want to make sure that reviewers play a large chunk of the game, and avoid things like IGN rushing though a game as fast as possible so they can get there review up before everyone else so they can get hits.

For vidoe games, its when embargos last past the shipping date that you should start getting worried.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Skirn said:
Great OT. :)

Anyone rolled a Necromancer-like character in a TES game before? How are the summoned creatures' fighting prowess?

And a friend just texted me that there are
werewolves in the game
. What a fucking ass-hat for spoiling that surprise.

And now I just highlighted your spoiler and now I'm spoiled. Asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom