• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelrt

G-Pink said:
So anyone know how the Steamworks feature will work for this game? I've never bought a Steamworks enabled game at retail before. Will I, if I purchase the PC version, just be able to punch the CD Key into Steam and unlock the game for download?

When you put the disk in it will launch steam and install the game ask for the cd key after which it will be in your library.

fbi

Banned
Bluemercury said:
Day one patch.....this will be filled with bugs again....
In the 35 hours I have put in it's only frozen once. Also the texture loading I've noticed occasionally but thought it was just the because the world is so large. I'll have to try it tonight straight from the disc.

It's really not buggy, compared to the issues with fallout.

I do have one gripe though, the favourites for weapons isn't done well, it would be preferable to be able to switch between melee and range by just using the dpad, selecting up and then finding your weapon, then pressing a button to equip is cumbersome.

G-Pink

grendelrt said:
When you put the disk in it will launch steam and install the game ask for the cd key after which it will be in your library.

Awesome. That's even better than I thought, considering the strict pounding the Steam servers will be getting Friday at 12:01AM

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wish skooma effected you visually too, like hallucinations. Have it be context sensitive, like, being in the presence of a Khajiit you would see said Khajiit turn into a real world liger and bound off into the woods.

Woorloog said:
Yeah. I've gotten used to silent 360 S. It was rather annoying when i found out BF3 disc spins for a minute or two even when you've installed it (something to with new disc format), but i suppose i can get used to the noise again.

It seems that i've subconsciously ruled out mage as my first character, so i'm going to play as a warrior (with some magic) or thief/assassin with magic first. But it so damn hard to decide which one :/

Arkham City did that too. Freaked me out at first. Thought I had fucked something up.

DanielJr82

I seriously read this whole thread, thank God this forum isn't blocked at work yet. Otherwise it's me, my book, and my mind in Skyrim. :p

I'm still eager to know if the 1.1 patch will fix the texture issue. It strikes me as very odd. First DICE with the HD textures mandatory install for Xbox 360 and now Bethesda is the exact opposite. It's just weird to me. I guess for now I'll play the game off the disc when I get home from the midnight launch, but I'm hoping they patch it eventually. (If it's a bug issue, I mean.)

I still can't wrap my head around a 3.8GB game size. There aren't any full motion videos here? Those usually take up the most amount of space. Either that or all the audio in the game is heavily compressed.

Lastly, I think I decided to call my character Wiglaf. He'll be a Nord. If the name rings a bell it's from the epic poem Beowulf many of you probably (hopefully!) read in high school. (Ancient literature spoilers? LOL... I'm just going to play it safe.)
He's the only Geat to work up the courage to slay the dragon with a dying Beowulf by his side, in a band of about a dozen warriors.
He'll be a Sword/Shield warrior, obviously. Wiglaf was known for his shield skills.

That is all. All this hype is making me want to see the Lord of the Ring movies. I'm in a big fantasy mood right now. =)

Woorloog

Banned
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Arkham Asylum did that too. Freaked me out at first. Thought I had fucked something up.
Yeah, had the same thought with BF3, then i remember this had been mentioned in Dark Souls OT as having something to do with the new format.

I'm assuming Skyrim will do this as well if it is installed.
The texture loading issue means i won't be installing though...
Hopefully it is a fixable issue.

Zeliard

I'm falling into the hype. I can't help it. I probably always will for an Elder Scrolls game.

Still, my expectations are far more in check than they were prior to Oblivion. In the week leading up to that game's release I was bouncing off the walls.

Fjordson

Bluemercury said:
Day one patch.....this will be filled with bugs again....
I don't doubt it will have issues, some yet unforeseen, but this game actually seems surprisingly stable. I know two people with legit copies that haven't had any issues after over 40 hours combined. Haven't seen anything in the streams I've watched either.

Though these are big games...could always have a crippling glitch rear its ugly head after like a hundred hours. I guess we'll see.

aett

G-Pink said:
Awesome. That's even better than I thought, considering the strict pounding the Steam servers will be getting Friday at 12:01AM

You mean the strict pounding the servers will be getting whenever we can preload the game?

Anyway, I broke down and preordered the game on Steam. Sooo excited. Gonna have to do most of my playing late at night after the baby goes to sleep.

I can't wait any longer. Why can't it be friday?

131724538616.jpg

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Deified Data said:
Why is your hunter specializing in summoning?

Not criticizing, mind, just curious about other peoples' character ideas.
I figure I will be an archer who is "in tune" with nature. Will summon beasts/have a dog companion while shooting enemies with arrows from the background.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Lakitu said:
(Caution: Map Spoilers)

Oh Christ. This isn't a criticism of you because I know you were just trying to be courteous, but I really hope we're not at the point that anything in this image would be considered a spoiler. I cannot conceive how anyone would consider a map a spoiler period, but even if they did nobody could ascertain more than the general shape of the world from this image.

GAF is a Nanny (Spoiler) State these days.

K2Valor said:
I figure I will be an archer who is "in tune" with nature. Will summon beasts/have a dog companion while shooting enemies with arrows from the background.
Can we summon animals this time around? That would be spectacular.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
See You Next Wednesday said:
What is a rough estimate of armors in the game?
It isn't limited to less then 10 like in Oblivion & Fallout is it?

Someone please answer this... would be very grateful.

Woorloog said:
I'm getting that thing in hardcover... "treekiller". Have TES guides contained any fluff previously?

I'm thinking of switching to the hardcover. I have the regular one pre-ordered right now.

edit: nevermind, the hardcover is no longer available from Amazon

MrBig

They increased the different types at the cost of customization (large/single packages instead of each part of the suit)

Izayoi

Banned
mlarine said:
Do I need to pre-order this game to get it at a midnight release at gamestop?
If you want the Dragon Edition, you might want to pre-order to be safe.

You should be able to get the normal edition without pre-ordering, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I'm thinking of switching to the hardcover. I have the regular one pre-ordered right now.

edit: nevermind, the hardcover is no longer available from Amazon
Wow, sold out, huh? Glad I pre-ordered.

You might still be able to find it at FUCKING GAMESTOP or large stores like Fred Meyer.

Evolved1

MrBig said:
They increased the different types at the cost of customization (large/single packages instead of each part of the suit)

I thought the only difference was that greaves are now combined with main armor... everything else is still there and interchangeable. Is this incorrect?

Zeliard said:
I've heard some rumblings of a
dragon summon
of some sort.
That's confirmed.
Via a Dragon Shout. Saw Howard talking about it on GTTV.

But it'd be really cool if you could summon a wolf to your side, or something.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Deified Data said:
That's confirmed.

I don't think you can. But you can have a dog companion. We've seen screens of it.

Izayoi said:
Wow, sold out, huh? Glad I pre-ordered.

You might still be able to find it at FUCKING GAMESTOP or large stores like Fred Meyer.
Yeah... for $40 fucking dollars. And GameStop will offer 20% off ($8 USD) if you buy it with the game in a single transaction.

FHIZ

DanielJr82 said:
Lastly, I think I decided to call my character Wiglaf.

I'm going for "Galthorion The Wise"

but, sadly, I don't think I'll be able to get all that in there, haha.

Khezu

From what I have seen, a bunch more, all the staples from morrowind and oblivion are back, plus some newer armor sets, and a bunch of unique sets as well, including some awesome elite thief armor, which is probably the best looking armor I have ever seen in a beth game, it even has a
cape

I don't know if beth got new artists or something, but they really stepped up there game in the art department, everything looks better, armor, weapons, NPC's, monsters, locations. They really knocked it out of the park this time.

Esch

Banned
Deified Data said:
That's confirmed.

Seems excessive. You've already got human hangers on, and conjuring skill lets you call atronachs(and apparently a familiar) so...?

DangerStepp

Lakitu said:
I want to roleplay as a Khajit skooma and moon sugar dealer.
Haha, I totally forgot about the drugs! Im going to OD on skooma and lay down in a ditch.

I'm going to forego a physical copy and get it from Steam at midnight. I'll be nice and comfy at home at midnight. Plus, when I think "PC games" GameStop doesn't come to mind.

Speaking of, are we able to pre-load yet on Steam or D2D?
What would be my best option for playing it at midnight?

Izayoi said:
Ouch.

Amazon has spoiled us, I guess.
Yup, very spoiled with Amazon and I love it.

When I paid off my Skyrim reserve last week at Ganestop, the sales kid tried to talk me into reserving the hard bound guide and gave me the spiel about 20% off. I literally laughed in his face and told him that Amazon had it for under $25, without sales tax and the only bummer would not be receiving it until 11/14. I did feel bad about the laugh, but I couldnt help it, kid is just doing his job.

MrBig

Evolved1 said:
I thought the only difference was that greaves are now combined with main armor... everything else is still there and interchangeable. Is this incorrect?
It's more like an upper piece, a lower piece, and a helmet.
I prefer it this way, since I always keep the same set. All it means to me is more to choose from.
e: though that is for special cases
normal armors are still individual pieces. (Helmet, gloves, chest, pants, boots)

Chris R

Spoiler stuff... (not sure if this is Skyrim spoilers or if this event that takes place AFTER Oblivion was detailed in some book)
I was reading the ES Wiki and it mentioned that Morrowind was destroyed?!?!? Just trying to stick it to us Morrowind fans eh? So now we can never go back unless the game was set in the past :(

Evolved1

MrBig said:
It's more like an upper piece, a lower piece, and a helmet.
I prefer it this way, since I always keep the same set. All it means to me is more to choose from.

You're omitting boots and gauntlets/gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom