• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
rhfb said:
Spoiler stuff... (not sure if this is Skyrim spoilers or if this event that takes place AFTER Oblivion was detailed in some book)
I was reading the ES Wiki and it mentioned that Morrowind was destroyed?!?!? Just trying to stick it to us Morrowind fans eh? So now we can never go back unless the game was set in the past :(
I think the destruction was described in one of the books, but I'm not certain. It's almost enough to make me play a Dunmer. Slaving bastards though they are, it seems like an interesting angle.

Laekon

GhaleonEB said:
I'm pairing my stealth character with alchemy and using a bow as my primary weapon (with dagger secondary). In Oblivion, that meant arrows did a lot of damage, I had zoom, knock down, and tainted most of them with some wicked poisons.

Often I'd just tag someone from sneak for 3x damage (or whatever it was), they'd get knocked over, and by the time they got up and halfway to me, drop dead from the poison.

I plan a similar build this time around, and I think the ranged combat will work as my anti-dragon tactic.

I know that bows will really help stealth characters with dragons but I'm kind of against bow use as it always seems cheap. From my memory or Morrowind and Oblivion it seemed you could one shot a lot of mobs from stealth using a bow. If the mob was in a group and you had good stealth they couldn't find you. It made the game a little to easy.

Izayoi

Banned
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Yeah Amazon had it for $23 or $26, I forget.
I got it for $23.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yup, very spoiled with Amazon and I love it.
It is indeed the best the best the best.

ksimm said:
FFS that is why I need the hardcover CE, sort it out Prima for the UK. >_<
Your avatar is fucking perfect, by the way.

Telosfortelos said:
I think the destruction was described in one of the books, but I'm not certain. It's almost enough to make me play a Dunmer. Slaving bastards though they are, it seems like an interesting angle.
I read about this and I wonder if there's a Dunmer element to the story of Skyrim, what with refugees coming from Morrowind. I don't want to read any spoilers from the game itself though. I'd actually enjoy another Solthsteim expansion, or perhaps one set in one of the islands north of the continent.

eosos

Banned
K2Valor said:
Skyrim video - Killing children

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkELm3K02k&feature=related

No spoilers, just made me laugh pretty hard.
KuGsj.gif
Can't wait for the mod that lets us kill em.

edit: is that terrible?

Can someone with twitter ask the Bethesda guys when we can expect the Steam/D2D preload. It's Tuesday here and I'm getting worried it won't be downloaded in time.

Echoplx

Sutton Dagger said:
Can someone with twitter ask the Bethesda guys when we can expect the Steam/D2D preload. It's Tuesday here and I'm getting worried it won't be downloaded in time.

Probably won't get a response but meh :p

ibnRJ2nABp2hxy.png

Zeliard

ACE 1991 said:
I know you're not really supposed to attack that NPC, but man, that video sure made the combat look super uninspired.

One of the main things people should probably go into Skyrim with are carefully measured expectations for the melee combat. If you're expecting anything much better than Oblivion (or Fallout 3) in that area you're bound for disappointment. Looks to be as loose and floaty as ever, and without a lot of the underlying math that Morrowind had.

fbi

Banned
Zeliard said:
One of the main things people should probably go into Skyrim with are carefully measured expectations for the melee combat. If you're expecting anything much better than Oblivion (or Fallout 3) in that area you're bound for disappointment. Looks to be as loose and floaty as ever, and without a lot of the underlying math that Morrowind had.
yeah the melee isn't great, my brother who doesn't play games much asked why there was no collision detection.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Zeliard said:

I agree people shouldn't go in expecting some sort of highly refined combat, as that is not what these games are about. But Morrowind's combat (more complex or not) sucked. I can't even describe how much time I wasted adjusting my position because my sword attacks were missing the mark.

Zeliard said:
Does anyone really play TES games for the combat? Me, I'm in them for the roleplaying. Yes, combat is an aspect of roleplaying, but I'd say it takes a backseat to story telling.

Unicorn

Zeliard said:
Yeah, I can see a lot of the people getting hyped in here based on the emergent gameplay moments people are sharing are going to end up sorely disappointed when they actually play the game and realize the combat is boring.

ES games are about the world. The combat has always been just a means to an end. The journey is actually the journey.

GhaleonEB said:
I was talking with my daughter about Skyrim - she has Friday off school, I'm taking a vacation day - telling her about the resurrection (undead mud crabs ahoy). She asked, "What happens if I resurrect a zombie? Is is un-undead? A zombified zombie?"

I want to find out. :lol

Hah. How old's your daughter? My daughter is almost 5 and will have a ball watching me killing the undead. She's been on a roll asking me about and looking at videos about bones, muscles, and stuff...and probably wouldn't flinch if I took her to a cadaver lab.

Esch

Banned
Zeliard said:
The finishers make a difference, and i think some of the perks make it deeper than oblivion, but you're probably right. I do think battlemages will be more fun than ever in this game due to dual wields though. And archery looks so much better.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm not sure what people are expecting from Elder Scrolls melee combat? I've always seen it as perfectly fine. I saw no problem with the melee combat.

Solo said:
I told yas already, IMPERIAL SCUM is the only way to role. I will be the evilest fucker to ever walk the earth in Skyrim.
I thought I was going to role my first character as a Redguard (as I'm one of the 10 people who enjoyed Redguard, the game), but I'm reconsidering that for Imperial or Nord.

Nord because I've been watching the Conan films on Netflix and I love the idea of a great sword wielding Nord decked out in lite armor.

And Imperial because the racial bonus for more monies and their starting skill bonuses. It'd also be fun to roleplay as
an imperial citizen who supports the rebellion and is against the formation of a new empire

Decisions, decisions.

Pollux

Blue Ninja said:
Well, since Morrowind went kablooey, I think whatever is left of the Morag Tong moved off to Solstheim/Skyrim and integrated there.

Spoilering this in case it turns out to be true (which it won't):
Would be cool if the Dark Brotherhood questline involves fighting the Morag Tong.
oh dear fucking god yes. please god. let me choose. please based god.

Esch

Banned
K2Valor said:
I'm not sure what people are expecting from Elder Scrolls melee combat? I've always seen it as perfectly fine. I saw no problem with the melee combat.
You don't see how it could be better, from an aesthetic standpoint or otherwise? Once the math got dropped in oblivion the doors opened for things like combinations based on timing, better hit response on both sides, counterattacks, different styles with weapons etc.

Pollux

Deified Data said:
Morag Tong is cool if you're in Morrowind, and there's a backdrop of House warfare to spur the action. In Skyrim, however, we probably won't see much need for their services. They may not be exclusively Dunmer, but they exclusively serve Dunmer causes.

Actually the Dark Brotherhood came from the Morag Tong. The Dark Brotherhood is more illegal, the Morag Tong is sanctioned by the Empire. Thus the public executions you carried out in Morrowind.

Either is sweet though.

3chopl0x said:
I want to go Nord and use 1 handed weapon/destruction magic but not sure how effective that would be.
Every stream I've seen has the players going with the 1-handed & destruction combo. Seems incredibly effective.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
EschatonDX said:
You don't see how it could be better, from an aesthetic standpoint or otherwise? Once the math got dropped in oblivion the doors opened for things like combinations based on timing, better hit response on both sides, counterattacks, different styles with weapons etc.
I mean yeah they could make it so when you hit there body you don't just slice through like you do now, basically having animations correlate to the hit detection/where you hit. I understand aesthetically how it could look better I just overall don't think it's very feasible/realistic.

Not saying I'm right, I was just curious.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I am pretty fucking psyched for this. My first Elder Scrolls game, all day to myself on Friday.

Cool, enjoy!

I'm sure you're in for a treat - when I played my first Elder Scrolls game (Morrowind), the scale and feelings of freedom and immersion blew my mind!

QP3

Mango Positive said:
As a guitar player who generally hates rap, this was fantastic. It hit all the right notes. For me, rap has generally been about the lyrical badassity (sic) of a person. This person understands the game.

I too am not a huge fan of rap. However, I liked it a lot and found it very catchy.

Echoplx

Reluctant-Hero said:
Every stream I've seen has the players going with the 1-handed & destruction combo. Seems incredibly effective.

Damn you! Now I don't want to do it :p

I've always played melee in ES games but the magic in Skyrim looks too good to pass up, so a combination would be perfect. On the other hand I always loved being stealth/ranged in Fallout so that could be cool here as well.

Don't know what to do :C

Esch

Banned
K2Valor said:
I mean yeah they could make it so when you hit there body you don't just slice through like you do now, basically having animations correlate to the hit detection/where you hit. I understand aesthetically how it could look better I just overall don't think it's very feasible/realistic.

Not saying I'm right, I was just curious.

It is possible- they just need to integrate the physics+animation+geometry meshing we've seen from a lot of recent games into the series. I saw a lot of good stuff in that vein from RAGE, Killzone, and a few others. Obviously it's no small task, but it would take the melee combat to a completely different level. At least in terms of man to man combat, it wold make a huge difference.

It's something i'm hoping beth will one day make a priority in ESVI.

spirity

Reluctant-Hero said:
Does anyone really play TES games for the combat? Me, I'm in them for the roleplaying. Yes, combat is an aspect of roleplaying, but I'd say it takes a backseat to story telling.

I know most people say "but combat makes up for most of your actions". I guess thats true, but I spend a lot of my time exploring, looking at stuff, swimming, crafting, goofing around etc. Combat and leveling are incidental events that take place, they're not the driving force. Of course, I want to get to the higher levels to experience more things, but that just happens naturally. I don't chase it.

If combat was my main thing, other games do it far better. But it isn't. So, here I am.

Ashodin

Wallach said:
Unfortunately you can't put shields in your right hand.
... I just realized my character can be left-handed in Skyrim! Fuck yeah!

:(

Why do developers hate us???

Also, left-handed swordsmen fucked up a lot of right-handed swordsmen back in the day because they assumed they would have to block attacks with their left from the right. Once they came upon a man trained to exploit that weakness... ahhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom