• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm totally looking forward to this game, but I have yet one question that has been bugging me since Oblivion. Are the towns and cities accessible without encountering a loading screen, like in Oblivion?

I saw in on of the gameplay demos that the player walk into some of the, what seem to be, smaller settlements without loading, but does that also work the same for the five bigger cities?

Mr_eX

Scullibundo said:
Buncha goddamn pussies in this thread worrying about fighting dragons as stealthies. You'd never make it as a RAmar.
HUmar's were the real champs, RAmars just sat back scared they might break a nail.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wallach said:
Just imagine that crazy image of Depp from Fear and Loathing with a Skyrim helmet.

This is... dragon country... 0_o

*flyswatter*

RAmars were the weakest class by a long shot. Meaning that if you could hold your own in BA mode as a RAmar, you were the thing of legend.

Lakitu

st5fu
Banzaiaap said:
I'm totally looking forward to this game, but I have yet one question that has been bugging me since Oblivion. Are the towns and cities accessible without encountering a loading screen, like in Oblivion?

I saw in on of the gameplay demos that the player walk into some of the, what seem to be, smaller settlements without loading, but does that also work the same for the five bigger cities?

Smaller towns will be seamlessly integrated into the world map, but the five large towns will require a loading screen once you go in.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ducky_McGee said:
Btw I like to explore

Not played Dark Souls but I plan to eventually. If you're more into exploration then Skyrim is for you. It's only 4 days away (3 for me in 45 minutes).

ezrarh

Just want to drop in and say I am super hyped for this game. First game I've put $60 on since Starcraft II last July.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The trailers, and all the reading I've done on this has really interested me.

I'm going to dive into this game, never played an elder scrolls games before this should be fun.

Mindlog

Ducky_McGee said:
wait for skyrim or by dark souls right now help me gaf
If you are in North America Skyrim is already popping up on Black Friday sales advertisements. $40 console and cheaper PC.

Dark Souls is on sale now iirc. I'm planning on getting the game Black Friday and hopefully getting a lot of time to play during the holiday vacation.

*Dark Souls has a multiplayer component. Just be aware that waiting too long will influence the make-up of that community.

Ducky_McGee said:
wait for skyrim or by dark souls right now help me gaf

Both should be great. But in my option Dark Souls will always be about the same game, while (especially on PC, but on console as well) Skyrim will be much improved over time via patches and DLC. So I'd Dark Souls now, then let Skyrim improve while you wait. Not that you can really go that wrong with either.

Banzaiaap said:
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the clarification! :)

There'll be an Open Cities mod eventually. I loved it initially in Oblivion, but ultimately it led to a lot of side-quests being ruined as I also had some monster mods installed. When a massive snow beast ravages the civilian population of Bruma, suddenly the town isn't so appealing.

TimeLike

Lakitu said:
Smaller towns will be seamlessly integrated into the world map, but the five large towns will require a loading screen once you go in.
All buildings in cities and towns require loading screens too.

Reluctant-Hero said:
I think we'll find out Thursday night or Friday morning.
351532046_Nooooooo_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

GhaleonEB

Houston3000 said:
A really really good compliment to the Stealth character has always been Illusion. Illusion has Invisibility and Chameleon... fighting a dragon, you should be able to go invisible during the fight (or hide and let chameleon take effect) and use to to repeatedly Surprise Attack and Backstab the dragon over and over again - or hit it with arrows from stealth which I would assume would add damage bonuses. You should be able to deal massive amounts of melee damage and avoid subsequent retaliation relatively easily compared to other classes.

I'm assuming that would work... otherwise there's so many skills in the game and, being that you're never actually stuck in only or two skill sets, you can always do something like level up Alchemy and Alteration to buff the hell out of your stats.
I'm pairing my stealth character with alchemy and using a bow as my primary weapon (with dagger secondary). In Oblivion, that meant arrows did a lot of damage, I had zoom, knock down, and tainted most of them with some wicked poisons.

Often I'd just tag someone from sneak for 3x damage (or whatever it was), they'd get knocked over, and by the time they got up and halfway to me, drop dead from the poison.

I plan a similar build this time around, and I think the ranged combat will work as my anti-dragon tactic.

Questions about poisons:

Can we poison multiple arrows and have them cluster? For instance if I have 10 Damage Health poisons, can I poison 10 arrows, and then equip the poisoned arrow group (Arrows Damage Health +10 or whatever), so that I can fire them in sequence? IIRC, in Oblivion I had to poison one, fire it, equip the next poisoned arrrow, fire it....

Do poison effects stack? So if I tag someone so they drop 5 health per second, if I hit them a second time are they dropping 10 points per second?

IMACOMPUTA said:
Jesus Christ. Where is the GhaleonEB quote from ? I've looked through the last 10+ pages and haven't found it. I want to see what it is in regards to!

lmao, I went back 7 pages and gave up. I know that feel, bro.

Fjordson

AndrewDean84xX said:
So, where are we at with the 360 disc/HDD issue?
Seems like there's some legitimate issues with the textures when installing to the HDD. Unless there's a coordinated troll effort hitting the internets, but I doubt it.

If it really is as bad as some people are claiming, I wonder if it's fixable in a patch. I don't mind playing off the disc, but I'd much rather have it installed.

epmode

TimeLike said:
All buildings in cities and towns require loading screens too.
If it's anything like the PC versions of Oblivion/Fallout 3, I can live with the ~one second load time when entering or exiting a building.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
My character is going to be a "hunter." By that I mean he will be focused in primarily archery/light armor and also specializing in summoning.

I think. I change what I want every day. I just need the damn game..

Woorloog

Banned
Fjordson said:
I don't mind playing off the disc, but I'd much rather have it installed.
Yeah. I've gotten used to silent 360 S. It was rather annoying when i found out BF3 disc spins for a minute or two even when you've installed it (something to with new disc format), but i suppose i can get used to the noise again.

It seems that i've subconsciously ruled out mage as my first character, so i'm going to play as a warrior (with some magic) or thief/assassin with magic first. But it so damn hard to decide which one :/

Lakitu

st5fu
Woorloog said:
It was rather annoying when i found out BF3 disc spins for a minute or two even when you've installed it (something to with new disc format), but i suppose i can get used to the noise again.

I've noticed this too recently. I find it annoying for those 30 seconds alone, I can't imagine having it like that for 100+ hours.

Woorloog

Banned
CrazyDude said:
You know what would be great? If the dragons turned into robots. Could you imagine?
CrazyDude
(Today, 02:08 AM)

EDIT watched the evolution of The Elder Scroll video. Interesting journey into past... And there's definetly large difference beetween Oblivion and Skyrim. And Morrowind looks always so... special.

K2Valor said:
My character is going to be a "hunter." By that I mean he will be focused in primarily archery/light armor and also specializing in summoning.

I think. I change what I want every day. I just need the damn game..
Why is your hunter specializing in summoning?

Not criticizing, mind, just curious about other peoples' character ideas.

Teknoman

Going to have to wait on Bethesda Insiders for this one...helped me with RAGE, Skyrim should show too. Holiday budgeting and all that.

G-Pink

So anyone know how the Steamworks feature will work for this game? I've never bought a Steamworks enabled game at retail before. Will I, if I purchase the PC version, just be able to punch the CD Key into Steam and unlock the game for download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom