• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midou

Lakitu said:
This has been posted before but... Elder Scrolls trailers from Arena to Skyrim

Nice to see the evolution of the series. The Daggerfall trailer has aged well.

The atmosphere in Arena and Daggerfall is in intense, the use of colours really gives me these nostalgic, atmospheric vibes that are hard to explain.

I played about 5 hours of daggerfall, it ages decently graphically, as a lot of it is 2D, but the combat of pressing the mouse than moving it is kind of a pain.

Esch

Banned
The root of the problem is that the "thief" school is lacking in a primary means of damage dealing during open combat. If you're going to be a thief character, you have to ground yourself in a weapon or some kind of destructive magic period. Sucks but it's the way it is. Hopefully alchemy will give you some disgusting poisons or something, cause as it stands smithing and enchanting look much better, and obviously in direct damage the Thief sign abilities can't compare.

undecided

I am really starting to question my $48 newegg preorder for this.. $12 for missing the entire weekend? Not sounding very attractive.

Teknoman

GhaleonEB said:
Hah. This is exactly the kind of emergent gameplay I'm hoping to find, and one of the reasons I'm going wandering, rather than questing, right out the gates. Great story.

I had to spoil myself on that one. DAMN that sounds great!

I'm thinking about going 360 pad this time around for force feedback, and the fact that it might play better with a pad like the last Bethesda titles.

Khezu

The perk that allows you to disengage combat and go back into the shadows, and dragon shouts will probably help a bit.

Never really liked going straight up stealth in ES games, always nightblade for me.

grendelrt

undecided said:
I am really starting to question my $48 newegg preorder for this.. $12 for missing the entire weekend? Not sounding very attractive.
Thats exactly why I didnt do it. I have Friday off and the money wasnt worth missing a 3 day weekend with it.

Luthos

Nakasan said:
So reading the character plans everyone has makes me think im the only one who "brings" a character with me through all games. Started in Everquest; Spritely woodelf bow and arrow sneak-theif called Zzim. Be it oblivion, dragon souls or mario kart wii (so, any game with customisable character) hes always there with some fantastical explanation why hes there, like quantum leap really!

Ehh, my character(s) is really more a re-imagination for every game/series. It's usually a warrior/paladin named Luthos. A mage named Sohtul. And an assassin named Sehn.

Volimar

What's up with Bioware and Skyrim?

Edit: nvm, I'm reading it. Pretty juvenile Bioware...

also has nothing to do with Skyrim...

Luthos

Also, about those stealth-build characters... I'm sure a mix of bow & arrows, and dragon shouts would help take down dragons. Though I think you'd probably rely more on dragon shouts than other characters.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Luthos said:
Also, about those stealth-build characters... I'm sure a mix of bow & arrows, and dragon shouts would help take down dragons. Though I think you'd probably rely more on dragon shouts than other characters.

Or you could just run away...

Woorloog

Banned
Stealth with Illusion vs dragons: Whenever a dragon passes over you, hit it. Command humanoid and monsters to fight with you. Draw the dragon to a town. Use a bow. Ain't impossible, stealth is all about brains, so use 'em.

Squire

Banned
Question for people playing already: Are there any spells/weapons that are specific to a hand? Ex: Sword X can be only be used in your right hand, Spell Y can only be used in your left.

Einbroch

Banned
Inorigo said:
Question for people playing already: Are there any spells/weapons that are specific to a hand? Ex: Sword X can be only be used in your right hand, Spell Y can only be used in your left.
Nope.

Philthy

Nakasan said:
So reading the character plans everyone has makes me think im the only one who "brings" a character with me through all games. Started in Everquest; Spritely woodelf bow and arrow sneak-theif called Zzim. Be it oblivion, dragon souls or mario kart wii (so, any game with customisable character) hes always there with some fantastical explanation why hes there, like quantum leap really!

I have a guy named Chase Ortegon. He was originally a Paladin in Dungeons and Dragons back in the early 80s as a kid. He appears in almost every RPG I play.

Poor guy has died a thousand deaths.

Here is to a thousand more!

Long live, Chase! err...

Mindman

To anyone with the game:

Can you test the HDD install textures post-patch for us by uninstalling/reinstalling? Pllleeeassseeee

Gorgon

Volimar said:
What's up with Bioware and Skyrim?

Edit: nvm, I'm reading it. Pretty juvenile Bioware...

also has nothing to do with Skyrim...

Link please.

EDIT: Oh, I thought they were shitting on Skyrim. Anyway, that C&D is pathetic. But then again, Bioware has gone down the drain many years ago.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
3.5 days until I create like 90 characters and post the best of them (with backstories) right here in this thread.

Fus Ro Damn I want to play this game.

I'm sleeping early going over to GS while on-call for the server and picking it up when I have to be back in at 6am. Not the best idea but fuck that! I can't have this game out and not own and and I can't own it and not play it.

It's a strange thing when being totally aimless to the narative and drive of the game is the biggest draw. As soon an I;m done with the tutorial I'm just going to spin around, pick a random direction and walk until I find death or adventure.....let's hope it's both!

Laekon said:
Anyone worried about building a stealth character when the game seems to need you to fight dragons? I'm planning on making an illusion/1 hand stealth fighter but how the hell am I going to take on a dragon?
Nostalgic Nightmare said:
This is a fear I have as well. I really want to be ranged/dagger/stealth kills. I wonder if this game will accommodate that or will I have to re-roll once I hit the proverbial wall so to speak.
Deified Data said:
I don't imagine ranged players having much trouble. Stealthy dagger-users, however, ae probably going to be screwed. It's a grand TES tradition of condemning certain play types. In Daggerfall, you could only really beat the game as a Spellsword - everything else was just for show.
A really really good compliment to the Stealth character has always been Illusion. Illusion has Invisibility and Chameleon... fighting a dragon, you should be able to go invisible during the fight (or hide and let chameleon take effect) and use to to repeatedly Surprise Attack and Backstab the dragon over and over again - or hit it with arrows from stealth which I would assume would add damage bonuses. You should be able to deal massive amounts of melee damage and avoid subsequent retaliation relatively easily compared to other classes.

I'm assuming that would work... otherwise there's so many skills in the game and, being that you're never actually stuck in only or two skill sets, you can always do something like level up Alchemy and Alteration to buff the hell out of your stats.

water_wendi said:
Screw the Dark Brotherhood. Give me the Morag Tong please.
Morag Tong is cool if you're in Morrowind, and there's a backdrop of House warfare to spur the action. In Skyrim, however, we probably won't see much need for their services. They may not be exclusively Dunmer, but they exclusively serve Dunmer causes.

Well, since Morrowind went kablooey, I think whatever is left of the Morag Tong moved off to Solstheim/Skyrim and integrated there.

Spoilering this in case it turns out to be true (which it won't):
Would be cool if the Dark Brotherhood questline involves fighting the Morag Tong.

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
Well, since Morrowind went kablooey, I think whatever is left of the Morag Tong moved off to Solstheim/Skyrim and integrated there.

Who knows. The Dark Brotherhood probably would have taken the opportunity to kill as many of the Morag Tong as they could exactly when that happened. The events of Morrowind may have allowed them to destroy them permanently.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
coopolon said:
Are you buying it? Steamworks and all?
It seems to correct enough of the mistakes of Oblivion for me to buy it. As for Steamworks.. i figure it will be about 12-48 hours before thats not an issue.

water_wendi said:
Screw the Dark Brotherhood. Give me the Morag Tong please.
You are wonderful...
The dark brotherhood was ok, but never competed with the Morag Tong. Jumping rooftop to rooftop, picking the roof door and killing everyone in the night was the best feeling ever. Well, it was tied with going into a shop, seeing all the item around the room, finding what you wanted then waiting until night and sneaking in the taking all the items on your shipping list.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Deified Data said:
Morag Tong is cool if you're in Morrowind, and there's a backdrop of House warfare to spur the action. In Skyrim, however, we probably won't see much need for their services. They may not be exclusively Dunmer, but they exclusively serve Dunmer causes.
i only deal with the OGs (Original Guildsters).

Echoplx

water_wendi said:
It seems to correct enough of the mistakes of Oblivion for me to buy it. As for Steamworks.. i figure it will be about 12-48 hours before thats not an issue.

Have fun without your patches!

Wallach said:
Who knows. The Dark Brotherhood probably would have taken the opportunity to kill as many of the Morag Tong as they could exactly when that happened. The events of Morrowind may have allowed them to destroy them permanently.
The Morag Tong wanes while the Dark Brotherhood grows more powerful than ever before. Sorry, Tong fans, but your favorite guild was likely crushed under foot by their most hated rivals.

IMACOMPUTA

Teknoman said:
I had to spoil myself on that one. DAMN that sounds great!

I'm thinking about going 360 pad this time around for force feedback, and the fact that it might play better with a pad like the last Bethesda titles.

Jesus Christ. Where is the GhaleonEB quote from ? I've looked through the last 10+ pages and haven't found it. I want to see what it is in regards to!

Deified Data said:
The Morag Tong wanes while the Dark Brotherhood grows more powerful than ever before. Sorry, Tong fans, but your favorite guild was likely crushed under foot by their most hated rivals.

That's what kinda sucks about having only 4 guilds (that we know about). It would have been cool to have Morag Tong as a faction and have earlier quests be about destroying the Dark Brotherhood. They could even have carried over some of the assassination quests from the Dark Brotherhood since it would make sense the Tong would receive those contracts after the Brotherhood is destroyed.

I loved that in Morrowind there was more than5/6 guilds to join and their story lines integrated somewhat, cutting you off from joining other guilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom