• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

NaughtyPrawn said:
I really can't decide on what version to buy.. PC or 360. I know PC will be technically superior but on the 360 I get to lay on my big leather lazy boy and play.

Someone convince me what to do!

Pull your couch over to your pc.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
I've corrected the sentence your feeble Dunmer mind produced. The ash must dement your people at a young age.

Bretons weren't really under consideration since they're given an enormous boost by virtue of glorious Elven lineage. The pureblood humans can't hope to compete.

CushVA

NaughtyPrawn said:
I really can't decide on what version to buy.. PC or 360. I know PC will be technically superior but on the 360 I get to lay on my big leather lazy boy and play.

PC (360 RR'ed so don't have a choice). Played Oblivion on the 360 first and then PC. While I did miss being able to sit back and relax, I thought the advantages (PC) were worth it.

As far as I can tell, you can no longer set the distance to your third person camera. It's over the shoulder when you've got no weapon out, and moves a bit further backwards when you pull out a weapon. You also can't rotate the camera around your character when you've got your weapon out.

EDIT: In fact, you can only rotate the camera when your character is standing still with no weapon out.

Blue Ninja said:
As far as I can tell, you can no longer set the distance to your third person camera. It's over the shoulder when you've got no weapon out, and moves a bit further backwards when you pull out a weapon. You also can't rotate the camera around your character when you've got your weapon out.
What are your thoughts on third person camera melee combat?

Timber

So I'm walking around and I spot a grazing deer across the river. I take out my bow and aim at its head when suddenly a bandit appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and goes charging into the deer, felling it with one slash of his axe. The deer's corpse lands in the river and I'm pissed off because the sumbitch stole my game and now I'm running after the carcass which is being carried downstream by the current. At a bend it washes up on my side of the river, so I loot it. But the bandit is still on the other bank gesturing at me in ways which are not very friendly, and I'm feeling emboldened so I run at him and whoops, turns out he can one-shot me too. My corpse drifts downstream until its journey is cut short when it crashes into the body of the deer.

CushVA

Blue Ninja said:

Really? That's pretty weak. Hope you can still free up the camera with console commands

Wallach

Timber said:
So I'm walking around and I spot a grazing deer across the river. I take out my bow and aim at its head when suddenly a bandit appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and goes charging into the deer, felling it with one slash of his axe. The deer's corpse lands in the river and I'm pissed off because the sumbitch stole my game and now I'm running after the carcass which is being carried downstream by the current. At a bend it washes up on my side of the river, so I loot it. But the bandit is still on the other bank gesturing at me in ways which are not very friendly, and I'm feeling emboldened so I run at him and whoops, turns out he can one-shot me too. My corpse drifts downstream until its journey is cut short when it crashes into the body of the deer.

lmao

These are the real kinds of adventures that make TES special.

spekkeh

Banned
NaughtyPrawn said:

I haven't really looked at comparison shots, but the xbox version is very pretty, and I seriously doubt the PC version will look much better.

Reluctant-Hero said:
What are your thoughts on third person camera melee combat?
Haven't tried it yet. First-person felt a bit yanky at first, but that was because I was swinging a shortsword around (which I'm not used to :lol).

Seep said:
I bloody hope not.
I hope they patch in a way to turn 'em off, they're jarring.

CushVA said:
Really? That's pretty weak. Hope you can still free up the camera with console commands
I'm still trying it out, maybe there's another way.

Ooccoo

Timber said:

Pretty cool story

Woorloog

Banned
Any slow motion needs to be toggleable, no excuse to force us to watch things in slow-mo.

Does armor affect magic effectiveness? Please tell me it does not, that ruined battlemages in Oblivion for me.

All right, I like looking around with a claymore a lot better. :lol

Also, just had a slow-motion move where Wulf skewered a Stormcloak. It was awesome.

ironcreed

Banned
Timber said:

LOL, that is awesome. Glad to see that venturing out into the wild is as dangerous as it should be.

f0rk

Timber said:

So the level scaling system makes the world quite dangerous?

ctrayne

djplaeskool said:
Oh, it does the third-person-insta-angle-change-dramatic-slo-mo-kill-cam thing from Fallout? Ew.
I've been spoiled by Deus Ex. No slo-mo = good. Hopefully we can turn it off on the PC version of Skyrim.

Did anyone answer the question about Loot scaling yet??? Part of the fun of Morrowind was braving areas and enemies that were too powerful to face man to man... luring them out or finding ways to kill them using stealth and ingenuity... and reaping the rewards... Umbra, etc...

Khezu

I think the slo mo is more like batman style, where it only works on the last enemy, as way to inform you that you're good to go, doesn't really work with magic though.

ksimm

PONGSTAR said:
It sounds like the app is only the map though. Unless I missed something...
Yeh the map is an App but the guide will be on the Apple iBook store. I would imagine they will do a PDF version as well maybe for other devices...

Blue Ninja said:

EDIT: In fact, you can only rotate the camera when your character is standing still with no weapon out.
That's a shame. I love zooming in and looking up close at the details. Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions you lucky sob.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't play a lot of RPG's. Oblivion being my last and I got hacked off due to the levelling up issues.
For those in the know and I know the game isn't out yet. But what would you recommend. Skyrim or Witcher2?

Solo

cyberheater said:
I don't play a lot of RPG's. Oblivion being my last and I got hacked off due to the levelling up issues.
For those in the know and I know the game isn't out yet. But what would you recommend. Skyrim or Witcher2?

The Witcher 2. GOTY. But you can't go wrong with Skyrim either.

Complistic

cyberheater said:

If you care more about story and combat, than TW2, if you want more exploration and freedom then Skyrim.

Evlar

Banned
Timber said:
Sounds like a confidence scheme. That deer was probably in on it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I so hope the leveling issues are resolved

Nothing pissed me off more in oblivion (outside of the random oblivion gates) than wolves turning into huge monsters and everyone started carrying what was once rare armor and weapons

Totally sucked the fun out of the game

0r5kB.gif

Seep

DopeyFish said:

Nothing pissed me off more in oblivion (outside of the random oblivion gates) than wolves turning into huge monsters and everyone started carrying what was once rare armor and weapons

Totally sucked the fun out of the game

Yep bandit scrubs with glass armour and weapons was fucking ridiculous.

DopeyFish said:

Don't worry, early enemies like bandits and wolves will soon become irrelevant once you've levelled up a bit, and as for the loot, you won't find bandits randomly using expensive-ass armour and weapons, but they may be protecting a chest which has expensive items. There is some loot scaling present, as you won't start finding certain weapons and armours in the wild until you're at the required level for them to appear, but there are still specifically placed items in the world that you can find before you've reached the required level (for instance, I stole an elven bow from a display case right at the start of the game, but didn't start finding elven armour and weapons until about 10 levels later).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So it sounds like the leveling is more like Morrowind? Sorry to berate this issue, but dear lord I had a hard time playing Oblivion...Nothing ruined that experience for me (on vanilla) more than running around never feeling like you were growing. Morrowind was so good in that you would run across a Dwarven cave early on and get wrecked by the
robots
. I want that sense of accomplishment when I can come back hours of gameplay later and go lay down the law.

Okay, uh, final bit before I do some non-stop playing (probably):

The 'emerge into the wilderness'-moment isn't impressive at all. Nothing like Oblivion or Fallout 3. Wasted opportunity if you ask me.
The world does look good, though.

Bento

I have noticed that this is still not playable on my computer, very unfortunate since I'm having a severe case of "oh god, I see nothing in my dreams but Nords and Dragons!" and would really like to get on with this since Dark Souls, Persona 2 and Xenoblade have all been digested properly and can no longer keep my lust for silly looking Viking helmets at bay :(

Do we btw know anything about balancing and such? Curious to hear if both melee and magic are viable here, been considering doing a Caster so would be nice to know if there has been any reports of shitty spells and perks :I

styl3s

Apparently K-Mart is selling early (yet again, they are on a roll) YMMV obviously, i knew that some were (and i assume everyone here knew) but wasn't sure till i saw an ad on craigslist pop up "Skyrim early! $150" so like the asshole i am i post on craigslist where to buy it, hate price gouging pricks.

I called to make sure (friend works in electronics) going to pick it up in a bit.

Complistic said:
Pull your couch over to your pc.
When Burning Crusade released I had had back surgery a week prior and couldn't sit in a computer chair. I pulled my lazy boy close to my desk, used a piece of plywood as a counter for my keyboard and mouse, and grinded to 70 in a few days. Dedication my friend.

Granted, I didn't remember any of it, because I was too far away to read quest logs, and I was high on pain killers.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bootaaay said:
you won't find bandits randomly using expensive-ass armour and weapons, but they may be protecting a chest which has expensive items.

So instead of bandits wearing glass armor, they're wearing leather armor but protecting a chest full of glass armor? I guess they couldn't agree on who gets to wear it? ;b

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i see all these spoilers for stuff that is pretty standard for TES. You know what would be an awesome surprise for Skyrim?
Bethesda putting in Wereboars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom