• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
djplaeskool said:
Oh, it does the third-person-insta-angle-change-dramatic-slo-mo-kill-cam thing from Fallout? Ew.

You could turn that off in New Vegas, and I believe in Fallout 3, as well, so I'd be surprised if it were unchangeable in Skyrim. Surprised but still could be.

zoner said:
Dude. You do NOT want to go to a game store today. Seriously, it's not even a same crowd thing. It's a 'holy shit they're so busy' thing.

Seriously? My GS was completely devoid of life and its a pretty popular store. Most of the buyers picked it up at midnight.

Have first two playthroughs planned.

Heavy armor-one handed-restoration magic Imperial soldier of greatness to put the locals back in line, and Norse two handed/destruction/derVjiking.

Trailers may have swayed me from my standard ImperialAwesomeOrBust general plan (I am not as stalwart as Solo, I guess,) but will likely alternate between the two before I figure out which to focus on first.

KingK

ReaperXL07 said:
I really do not understand why they had to wait till friday to release this, why would they not just release it on Tuesday like every other major release? The wait is killing me here. Atleast I can go pick it up at midnight on Thursday.

I would think they audiences for this and something like COD would be different enough that Beth would not have alot to worry about.

I think you'd be surprised at how much overlap there is between Elder Scrolls and COD fans. (speaking from anecdotal experience)

disappeared said:
Like, how does it run? Decent framerate? Looking good?

Yeah, the framerate is fine for the most part, although it has dipped noticeably on a few rather hectic occasions (either with lots of mages all using their abilities at the same time, or multiple dragons on screen). There's a slight stuttering on the soft shadows when you move, which can be a bit distracting, but it's nothing major. Also, there's some occasional ground texture pop-in, but it's not very frequent, and the grass & foliage draw distance isn't very far, which unfortunately makes the repeating ground textures quite noticeable if looking out over a wide area from up above. I've had one crash in 44 hours of play, so it definitely seems more stable than other Bethesda PS3 ports.

Here's a few random screens;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0233.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0236.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0248.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0250.jpg

And a shot of my guy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0238.jpg

Huh, looks like I'll need to update a part of the OT's "story section"... Not really a spoiler, but...

Apparently, the Thalmor and the Empire were at war a few years before the game started. They called it "The Great War", even. It ended when the Thalmor and the Empire signed a treaty. One of the conditions was that the Empire bans all worship of Talos.

What do you guys think? Should I update the thread with this, or leave it as a neat little tidbit to be discovered?

stufte

Bootaaay, are you able to kill a home owner and take over their house? In past games you could, but you weren't able to keep your things there without them disappearing after a certain amount of time, do you know if this is different in Skyrim?

Vire

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, the framerate is fine for the most part, although it has dipped noticeably on a few rather hectic occasions (either with lots of mages all using their abilities at the same time, or multiple dragons on screen). There's a slight stuttering on the soft shadows when you move, which can be a bit distracting, but it's nothing major. Also, there's some occasional ground texture pop-in, but it's not very frequent, and the grass & foliage draw distance isn't very far, which unfortunately makes the repeating ground textures quite noticeable if looking out over a wide area from up above. I've had one crash in 44 hours of play, so it definitely seems more stable than other Bethesda PS3 ports.

Here's a few random screens;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0233.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0236.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0248.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0250.jpg

And a shot of my guy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0238.jpg
Man.. I'm such a sucker for good video game snow environments.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
JumpingTheGun said:
Seriously? My GS was completely devoid of life and its a pretty popular store. Most of the buyers picked it up at midnight.
Most people are at work/school. Wait for after school's out and people are out of work.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Blue Ninja said:
Huh, looks like I'll need to update a part of the OT's "story section"... Not really a spoiler, but...

Apparently, the Thalmor and the Empire were at war a few years before the game started. They called it "The Great War", even. It ended when the Thalmor and the Empire signed a treaty. One of the conditions was that the Empire bans all worship of Talos.

What do you guys think? Should I update the thread with this, or leave it as a neat little tidbit to be discovered?
It's somewhat important in context with the lore so ultimately it's up to you. I'd throw it up somewhere in there.

Mutombo

Woorloog said:
WHY ARE WE YELLING?!

Still wondering if armor affects magic effectiveness.

EXCITED! WHAT DO YOU THINK MAN JEZUS

Seriously though. You guys having a fun time in a magical world... or a magical time, in a magical world?

I don't have internet on my xbox. Is that bad (with the patch and texture problems and all)?

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:

Leave it to be discovered, for now. The OT is a nice summary of events before Skyrim added its own bucket of fiction into the mix.

Blue Ninja said:

What/who are the Thalmor? Is it a general term for the elves? Talos is the main Imperial god, right? That's sounds pretty serious.

Woorloog

Banned
Mutombo said:
I don't have internet on my xbox. Is that bad (with the patch and texture problems and all)?
Yeah, it is a bit bad as you won't be getting the day one patch. Silver, err, Free Live is free. Duh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
What/who are the Thalmor? Is it a general term for the elves?
Thalmor was a government set up by the Altmer and Bosmer to "police" Valenwood.

I don't even know why I put that in spoiler.

KingK

What/who are the Thalmor? Is it a general term for the elves?

Apparently the Thalmor is the government of the Bosmer of Valenwood. After the collapse of the empire following Oblivion, they reunited with Summerset Isle as well, restoring the old Aldmeri Dominion. After Titus Mede took over the empire through conquest, he tried to take back the Admeri Dominion, but was unable to and the war ended in a peace treaty.

ced

Bethesda I will never forgive you for releasing this on a Friday instead of a Tuesday (today).

Well unless the game doesn't suck like Oblivion, ugh the wait is horrible...

What/who are the Thalmor? Is it a general term for the elves? Talos is the main Imperial god, right? That's sounds pretty serious.
The Thalmor are a faction that arose in Valenwood. They're pretty much fanatic Elves, and the governing body in Valenwood (and apparently the Summerset Isle, too). They wanted to wipe mankind from Tamriel to return to the Merethic Era, in which Time did not exist and the Elves were immortal.

Talos is Tiber Septim, who ascended to godhood after his death. He conquered the Elves, so they probably resent that, which is why they wanted his worship banned.

Oh, and somebody asked for the Fists of Steel-perk? It's in.

ced

The Albatross said:
You could turn that off in New Vegas, and I believe in Fallout 3, as well, so I'd be surprised if it were unchangeable in Skyrim. Surprised but still could be.

That option never worked on the 360 for me, if it's there it better work this time. I play in first person for a reason, don't take me out of it.

MacBosse said:
So 44 hours in, does it still feel like an adventure? Or is it getting stale by now?

Still enjoying it so far, I've got a ton of quests unfinished (25 at the moment) and there's still a few large chunks of the land I've yet to explore, so I'm hoping my enjoyment continues on for a good while yet. There's just so much to see and do and I've barely touched the main quests or the faction storylines yet, simply because you pick up so many quests from talking to random NPCs.

stutte said:
Bootaaay, are you able to kill a home owner and take over their house? In past games you could, but you weren't able to keep your things there without them disappearing after a certain amount of time, do you know if this is different in Skyrim?

I've yet to try this myself, as I bought my first house pretty early on so haven't had to worry about storage.

Woorloog

Banned
ced said:
That option never worked on the 360 for me, if it's there it better work this time. I play in first person for a reason, don't take me out of it.
What? Turning off kill cam worked fine on 360. VATS always has them, regardless whether you turned off kill cam.

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
Oh, and somebody asked for the Fists of Steel-perk? It's in.

Huh. So it's still a requirement on the left side? Not sure I understand why, but I guess I'm not clear on how unarmed even works in Skyrim anymore.

Woorloog

Banned
Wallach said:
Huh. So it's still a requirement on the left side? Not sure I understand why, but I guess I'm not clear on how unarmed even works in Skyrim anymore.
Unequip weapons and spells. Start punching people. Khajiit deal extra damage. Heavy Gauntlets with the perk add the armor rating to UA damage. Play Khajiit with heavy armor and Fists of Steel, have fun.

Philthy

ced said:
Bethesda I will never forgive you for releasing this on a Friday instead of a Tuesday (today).

Well unless the game doesn't suck like Oblivion, ugh the wait is horrible...

To be fair, it would have been released NEXT Tuesday. So we're getting it a few days early.

ced

Woorloog said:
What? Turning off kill cam worked fine on 360. VATS always has them, regardless whether you turned off kill cam.

Ah ha, so I'm an idiot.

Well to give me some credit, those games were about unplayable without using VATS.

thefil

I really want to try primary mage + hand to hand combat (basically the, I'm not that dangerous, come at me bro type), but I figure this combination is just not going to be supported (especially given the paltry hand to hand info thus far).

Woorloog

Banned
ced said:
Ah ha, so I'm an idiot.

Well to give me some credit, those games were about unplayable without using VATS.
???
Equip the hunting rifle and profit. I used the hunting rifle 90% of my time in FO3 and in New Vegas i use Cowbow Repeater most of my time, which is quite similar in practice, plentiful ammo, good damage, abudant so repairs are easy.
And i didn't bother with VATS.

Wallach

Woorloog said:
Unequip weapons and spells. Start punching people. Khajiit deal extra damage. Heavy Gauntlets with the perk add the armor rating to UA damage. Play Khajiit with heavy armor and Fists of Steel, have fun.

Right, but I mean there's no skill governing Unarmed. Is it actually supposed to be a viable choice or is it specific to persuasion type stuff? Just seems like a weird perk to slot as a requirement to the stuff above it.

Mest30

Banned
Does this game really take 200 hours? It would take me all of 2012 to beat as I don't get much gaming time in. That kinda pisses me off as I'd love a game like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom