• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

So in Oblivion there was an amazing quest called "A Brush With Death" that you had to jump into a magical painting where the entire landscape emulated oil pastels. You would coat your weapons with turpentine to defeat the painted creatures.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:A_Brush_with_Death

Is there anything like this in Skyrim? Or more to the point; what are some "don't miss quests" in Skyrim just based on the level of creativity involved with it besides A Night To Remember (which was awesome)?

Saw an alchemist mention painted troll fat. Heard someone refer to the painter in question. However, I don't know if there are any more quests where you jump into paintings.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Decided to nudge the main quest along and get dragons out into the world, so I could start using Shouts. Killed the first one, and when I tried going to the magic menu to access the Shouts, the game hard locked.

This generation, the only games to crash my Xbox have been Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Skyrim is amazing in many ways, and more stable than Oblivion and Fallout 3 in my experience so far, but this sort of thing really is inexcusable, Bethesda.

Man, how many hours into the game are you? Do you still collect words of power in dungeons if you haven't learned about shouts yet?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

He won't actually offer training unless you are in the companions and do the first two "quests" to talk to Eoulund Grey-Mane and then take the tour of Jorvasskar.

Is it a good idea to drop 5k gold on the house in Whiterun?
I had to find a place to knock Ysolde up, and her bed wasn't big enough, so a dude's gotta do what a dude's gotta do.

So in Oblivion there was an amazing quest called "A Brush With Death" that you had to jump into a magical painting where the entire landscape emulated oil pastels. You would coat your weapons with turpentine to defeat the painted creatures.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:A_Brush_with_Death

Is there anything like this in Skyrim? Or more to the point; what are some "don't miss quests" in Skyrim just based on the level of creativity involved with it besides A Night To Remember (which was awesome)?

The Mind of Madness comes to mind. Ill Met By Moonlight is awesome, too.

KingK

Is it a good idea to drop 5k gold on the house in Whiterun?

Yes. Unless you have the 8k and have completed the appropriate quests to buy a house in Markarth or Riften. You'll need someplace to drop your loot periodically, and a "base of operations" of sorts before you can afford to buy the more expensive places (like the 25k house in Solidtude. 36k if you include the improvements).

He won't actually offer training unless you are in the companions and do the first two "quests" to talk to Eoulund Grey-Mane and then take the tour of Jorvasskar.

I had to find a place to knock Ysolde up, and her bed wasn't big enough, so a dude's gotta do what a dude's gotta do.

Hands off my wife!

Davedough

so speaking of houses, since I dont have one yet, I dont know.... can I literally just go in there and dump all my crap on the ground and it'll be safe in there or do I ahve to put it in a chest or something?

Derrick01

Banned
so speaking of houses, since I dont have one yet, I dont know.... can I literally just go in there and dump all my crap on the ground and it'll be safe in there or do I ahve to put it in a chest or something?

I don't know about dumping a ton of items but I've dropped a few worthless things in my whiterun house and 20 hours later it was still there. I'm sure there's some memory limits in place though.

Hey!

I'm currently playing as a wandering, nomadic character. I don't plan on buying a home, but would like to have a place to safely stash my things, if need be. Are there any wilderness camps in Skyrim with "safe" containers on the PS3 that anyone knows about?

Miroku

Yes. Unless you have the 8k and have completed the appropriate quests to buy a house in Markarth or Riften. You'll need someplace to drop your loot periodically, and a "base of operations" of sorts before you can afford to buy the more expensive places (like the 25k house in Solidtude. 36k if you include the improvements).

Hands off my wife!

Yeah I mostly need somewhere to keep all the dragon bones and scales I've been getting. Lydia is maxxed out on weight and I never have much weight to spare.
Guess I'll buy the house, though I wanted to buy tons of ingots for smithing instead.

Macmanus

Hey!

I'm currently playing as a wandering, nomadic character. I don't plan on buying a home, but would like to have a place to safely stash my things, if need be. Are there any wilderness camps in Skyrim with "safe" containers on the PS3 that anyone knows about?

After the first couple quests for the Companions they give you lodging. I stored my stuff in a hutch near my bed.

Honestly though, having a home to sort all your shit out is really a godsend. I can't imagine having played any TES games without a home of some sort.

I went exploring from Windhelm to Winterhold to Riften today. This game is so goddamn beautiful.

Took an enchanted greatsword with me to level up that Two Handed skill: it's been going up like crazy. Been going into every cave I newly discover or rediscover (and which I haven't cleared yet), as well. Almost level 48, once I hit 50 and finish any outstanding quests I have left I'm letting Wulf get married and settle down for a while. :lol

Then I'm gonna roll a Dunmer assassin, baby.

Lucius86

Banned
the damn dragons only seem to attack me when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I have yet to have a dragon attack when anyone else is around.
One time I had one hovering above a giant camp and got excited to see what the giants and mammoths would do, but it never attacked and I could never hit the damn thing with an arrow to piss it off (it was also too high for my shout, I guess).

Shy assholes. :(

Selfless plug to make you jelly.

Finally got to Makarath after passing out during a drinking binge, this is such a beautiful city, and in less than 5 minutes my quest log doubled, all with interesting missions. Damn game consumes you :(
:)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey!

Just think of the house as an expensive box.

MrBig

My framerate never went above 10 during the stormcloak raid on
Whiterun's drawbridge
:(

At least the AI count was slightly higher than the miserable oblivion raid at the end of the last game

I've been keeping the difficulty on default. Now that I have an ebony sword that does 190 damage I think I should bump it up. I really hate how enemies just become damage sponges though

After the first couple quests for the Companions they give you lodging. I stored my stuff in a hutch near my bed.

Honestly though, having a home to sort all your shit out is really a godsend. I can't imagine having played any TES games without a home of some sort.

Generally, yeah, I prefer to own a home, but in this game I'm just hoofin' it between towns for roleplaying reasons, you know? I'm a Khajiit Bard-Warrior-Monk. Can't afford to get tied down!

(Also, the prospect that a Nord Jarl would sell land to a no-name Khajiit is sort of immersion-breaking when they won't even let other Khajiit into the city walls.)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey!

My character is a man of modest trappings, despite being a hero. I like that my character has a simple trader as a wife, and a small and humble home in Whiterun. It's a cool contrast to all the crazy shit I'm doing otherwise.

GhaleonEB

Man, how many hours into the game are you? Do you still collect words of power in dungeons if you haven't learned about shouts yet?

I'm around 60 hours into the game. I've picked up five or six shouts, they appear like normal (got the Golden Claw quest done last night, shout, dragon stone, and all).

Just no souls. Yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can deal with the weakness to fire (leather boots of waning fire ftw) and having to feed on people every once in a while (sneaking into houses is fun), but I don't see any benefits. The problem is that I really liked vampirism In Oblivion, but I can't remember the reason. I think the thing that annoys me the most, is the lack of stamina regeneration during the day. I like wandering around, but it would be good if I could actually run away from those random encounters with the fire dragons.

Just only move around at night. Always wait til it's dark out when you leave town.

MrBig

I'm around 60 hours into the game. I've picked up five or six shouts, they appear like normal (got the Golden Claw quest done last night, shout, dragon stone, and all).

Just no souls. Yet.

Gotta do the first couple main quests to start collecting souls ;)
I'm at 76 hours and have 12 or so shouts with 2 or 3 words each. 4 Dragon priest masks.

The large dungeons in this game are so enthralling. Both beautiful and tell a story.
Can't believe how many still aren't marked as Cleared on my map.

voltron

Couple of (probably) obvious questions....

Is there any way to organise your favorites list? (on 360)
Why are ruined books worth more than regular books? Should I be collecting them for some purpose?
Is there no other way to sell stolen items other than to get that perk (in speech I think)?

Kyaw

As much as I like this game... the combat glitches on the PC and lack of polishing of the UI out of a console game are becoming more and more apparent.

First, enemies that have shouts that remove the weapon you have in hand on to the floor is amazingly FRUSTRATING. The item is no longer on your favorite list, so you have to go into the menu, favorite it, and reassign a hotkey to it mid-battle.

Then, when your item runs out of charge, you cannot scroll through your gems to recharge it like you think it should intuitively. Instead, the game makes you spend your more expensive gems if you don't know that you have to press w, or d to scroll through your gems.

Also, there are occasional bugs where your mouse buttons do not register. So you run up to the enemy expecting to be able to left click and hit, but you're just standing there like an idiot.

And then there's the Staff of Gauldurson which I use against tougher enemies, but will not work because eventually the weapon will no longer target what I am aiming at. Instead, the sparks from the staff will hit an arbitrary location and be locked there forever.

WTF!

I am so frustrated by these horrid controls that I paused the game in the middle of a boss fight to post this. I mean seriously.

seriouslyChan.png

i_hug_that_feeloku5m.png

GhaleonEB

Do all of the houses have the weapon and armor displays? It was a very pleasant surprise when I got the Solitude house to find them. I used one bow through the entire Thieves Guild quest line, one I found in one of those way-in-over-my-head dungeons, then improved via smithing and finally enchanted. I didn't dispose of it so much as retire it, on display.

Do the other houses have those? It's great to walk in and see weapons I'd used for ages on end, like a row of trophies.
Gotta do the first couple main quests to start collecting souls ;)
I'm at 76 hours and have 12 or so shouts with 2 or 3 words each. 4 Dragon priest masks.

The large dungeons in this game are so enthralling. Both beautiful and tell a story.
Can't believe how many still aren't marked as Cleared on my map.

I killed the first dragon and absorbed it soul...at which point the game locked up. I'll try again tonight, hopefully I don't have to do the fight again. And agree about the dungeons. I've had ones I've spent an hour or more working through, enthralled by the narrative in both the diaries scattered around and in the way the dungeon evolves, through layers of ruins. Bethesda did a great job on this front.

I'm particularly fond of all the places the dungeons just pause and give us large, open areas to explore and soak up, free from enemies. A great sense of pacing throughout them, and those pauses really add to the feeling of exploration.

MrBig

As much as I like this game... the combat glitches on the PC and lack of polishing of the UI out of a console game are becoming more and more apparent.

First, enemies that have shouts that remove the weapon you have in hand on to the floor is amazingly FRUSTRATING. The item is no longer on your favorite list, so you have to go into the menu, favorite it, and reassign a hotkey to it mid-battle.

Then, when your item runs out of charge, you cannot scroll through your gems to recharge it like you think it should intuitively. Instead, the game makes you spend your more expensive gems if you don't know that you have to press w, or d to scroll through your gems.

Also, there are occasional bugs where your mouse buttons do not register. So you run up to the enemy expecting to be able to left click and hit, but you're just standing there like an idiot.

And then there's the Staff of Gauldurson which I use against tougher enemies, but will not work because eventually the weapon will no longer target what I am aiming at. Instead, the sparks from the staff will hit an arbitrary location and be locked there forever.

WTF!

I am so frustrated by these horrid controls that I paused the game in the middle of a boss fight to post this. I mean seriously.

http://www.ragemaker.net/images/Stupidity/seriouslyChan.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

The game plays so much better with a controller. I plugged mine in right after I got out of Helgen.

erragal

Do all of the houses have the weapon and armor displays? It was a very pleasant surprise when I got the Solitude house to find them. I used one bow through the entire Thieves Guild quest line, one I found in one of those way-in-over-my-head dungeons, then improved via smithing and finally enchanted. I didn't dispose of it so much as retire it, on display.

Do the other houses have those? It's great to walk in and see weapons I'd used for ages on end, like a row of trophies.

Markarth house has one mannequin, two plaques, two dagger displays, and two racks (4 slots). It's also in the most beautiful city in all of Skyrim (Heavy metal poisoning is a myth!!)

MrBig

I'm particularly fond of all the places the dungeons just pause and give us large, open areas to explore and soak up, free from enemies. A great sense of pacing throughout them, and those pauses really add to the feeling of exploration.

The Blessings of Nature and The Cursed Tribe should be quests of particular interest to you

I've done some dwemer ruin, glacial, and nordic ruin dungeons with no dialogue or quests that are some of the best gaming experiences I have ever had

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I didn't see anyone answer this but if someone knows the answer to it then I would greatly appreciate it:

So, I just completed the quest given by Vekel in the Thieves Guild to
acquire the four books by Arondil. The problem is that when I return them, he promises me payment but I don't receive anything and still have the books in my inventory. What gives?

It'll be annoying if it's a glitch that can't be fixed for my save file with a patch (I didn't end up turning in the quest yet because I think it may be a glitch).

Sec0nd

Oh man this game is fucking crack! 'Alright time to go to be... Oh wait a second, I see a single little house there! I'll check it out! Oh hey it has a secret basement...' Turns out it had an hour long dungeon... Well I guess I'll go to bed now.

erragal

The Blessings of Nature and The Cursed Tribe should be quests of particular interest to you

I've done some dwemer ruin, glacial, and nordic ruin dungeons with no dialogue or quests that are some of the best gaming experiences I have ever had

I'm just going to be a broken record: Blackreach. It's personally my favorite dungeon experience since Arx Fatalis. No dialogue either. So much scale, amazing environments and atmosphere, nice encounter variety (Though lacking one standout 'boss' fight). It's dungeon delving in the purest form.

Just found a butterfly in a jar in the Alchemist's Cabin. Fuck.

Anyone notice all the tiny ants crawling all over the stump in Riverwood where you meet Rilaf's sister?

abundant

I'm curious if this is a bug or an oversight. Generally for something like this every few levels gained from a skill would require you to level up using the next tier of weapons to get a worthwhile increase out of it. I could understand it might get in the way requiring people to take certain perks to gain the next tier of weapons. Maybe they could have had skill increases off a certain item be limited to 50 per item or something. Make 50 iron daggers and you know all you can know about making iron daggers. Move on to iron bracers etc.

It's an oversight. Enchanting works the same, a simple enchant with a Petty Soul gives you the same amount of XP as an enchantment with a Black Soul or Grand Soul. Smithing and Enchanting are the two easiest skills to grind.

What happens if you sell
the Elder Scroll
to Ulag?

Nothing. You only need it that one time during the Main Quest.

thetrin

I killed the first dragon and absorbed it soul...at which point the game locked up. I'll try again tonight, hopefully I don't have to do the fight again. And agree about the dungeons. I've had ones I've spent an hour or more working through, enthralled by the narrative in both the diaries scattered around and in the way the dungeon evolves, through layers of ruins. Bethesda did a great job on this front.

Wow. Killing dragons and unlocking shouts is the most addictive part of the game. I spend so much time fighting dragons and looking for shrines.

Oh man this game is fucking crack! 'Alright time to go to be... Oh wait a second, I see a single little house there! I'll check it out! Oh hey it has a secret basement...' Turns out it had an hour long dungeon... Well I guess I'll go to bed now.
That's exactly why I love this game. I just progressed in a quest I forgot, because I cleared a tower and got a mace. Then I went on, found a cave and got an amulet for another quest.

And damn, is this game huge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But where do I sell my crap during the night? Not a member of the thieves guild and if I don't feed soon, everyone probably wants to kill me (weakness to fire is at 75%).

...why do you need stamina regeneration in town?

Sell your stuff during the day. Then when you leave to go about your business, wait til dark. Feed or don't... if money is a big concern it seems like you will want to say at level 1 or 2 because I don't think shopkeepers will let you sell to them at the later stages, but if you're a vampire, during the times you're not exactly looking to earn a living, why even care what townsfolk think of you? They're mortals. Food.

Lakitu

st5fu
This game has consistently made me laugh. I like that.

Just doing the Angarvunde quest.
Met a woman called Medresi there, her team had abandoned her because of all the Draugr on the loose. She asked me to go in with her and she would split the treasure with me even though it was hilariously obvious she wouldn't. I do all the legwork, open all the gates to the treasure, she runs in screaming the treasure is all hers and gets squashed by a wall spike trap.

I go to the treasure chest and it's a coin purse of 17 coins, and a broken steel sword handle.

Brilliant.
And you get a dragon shout out of it!

Angry Grimace

I'm just going to be a broken record: Blackreach. It's personally my favorite dungeon experience since Arx Fatalis. No dialogue either. So much scale, amazing environments and atmosphere, nice encounter variety (Though lacking one standout 'boss' fight). It's dungeon delving in the purest form.

Blackreach is part of the main quest and pretty much unmissable though.

It's an oversight. Enchanting works the same, a simple enchant with a Petty Soul gives you the same amount of XP as an enchantment with a Black Soul or Grand Soul. Smithing and Enchanting are the two easiest skills to grind.

Nothing. You only need it that one time during the Main Quest.
There's no reason not to. It weighs 15 pounds and can't be dropped or displayed in your house.

Top Bottom