• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Black gems can hold souls besides human souls; if you don't have any empty lower level gems when you drain a lesser soul it'll fill your black gems with crappy souls.

WAIT, the black star can hold non-human souls? If that is the case, then why would anyone ever
pick Azura's Star over the Black Star in the quest
?

Lakitu

st5fu
What the fuck. I'm trying to go to a word wall near Riften, I'm climbing up some stairs but there's this thing that keeps spewing frost at me and killing me in 2 hits. It's like some sort of pole.

Ahh thanks for the Warmaiden inventory stuff. That is indeed odd.

I chose Honeyside in Riften as my second house because Riften is small and it's a short run to the blacksmith in town. It's also a really cool house with a giant basement.

WAIT, the black star can hold non-human souls? If that is the case, then why would anyone ever
pick Azura's Star over the Black Star in the quest
?

If you pick Azura's Star you'll be able to recruit the priestess as a companion, it's the only benefit i can think of.

Luthos

lol, what's wrong with Bonechill Passage? (it's an ice cave to the right of Falkreath)

I checked online, and apparently people are having the same problem as me. Which is, you crash to desktop within 5-30 seconds of being in the cave. What the hell is wrong with that place to make it crash you?

For what it's worth, anyone having problems with this place...

I can confirm that putting it into windowed mode stops it from crashing. At least for myself. A simple fix, but hopefully I don't have any other areas that do this to me.

GhaleonEB

Ahh thanks for the Warmaiden inventory stuff. That is indeed odd.

I chose Honeyside in Riften as my second house because Riften is small and it's a short run to the blacksmith in town. It's also a really cool house with a giant basement.

How do you get it? The Jarl and her ilk won't tell me squat.

I'm starting to roll with coin and want to spend it.

Arjen

Found an 40% fire resistance helmet. So right now as a Dark Elf i'm laughing those fire breathing dragons in the face.

ckohler

Do not stack.
blue Butterfly wings, hagraven claws, snowberries all make fortify enchanting. One other ingredient I can't remember ATM.

I tried using
snowberries
but it didn't work. I guess that's because I only have the first of the four effects which was fortify stamina or something? How do I unlock more effects?

erragal

I tried using
snowberries
but it didn't work. I guess that's because I only have the first of the four effects unlocked. How do I unlock more effects, then?

You have to create a potion combining the two ingredients together. If two ingredients have matching effects the potion will be made. Unlocking ingredient effects is mostly trial and error (Though I'm sure you can cheat on the internet). You have to do this at an alchemy stand though; every alchemists' shop has one.

ckohler

You have to create a potion combining the two ingredients together. If two ingredients have matching effects the potion will be made. Unlocking ingredient effects is mostly trial and error (Though I'm sure you can cheat on the internet). You have to do this at an alchemy stand though; every alchemists' shop has one.

Ahh, so I have to combine two DIFFERENT ingredients that both do the same thing and then both those ingredients will have a second effect?

Atruvius

What the fuck. I'm trying to go to a word wall near Riften, I'm climbing up some stairs but there's this thing that keeps spewing frost at me and killing me in 2 hits. It's like some sort of pole.
Dodge it from its left side. It only shoots the same spot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That's the least of your worries.
Huh? This is after I solved the case.

Actually you can pay the guy to clean up the bloody mess, but the option is only available before buying the Living room.
WHAT?! I PLAYED THROUGH THE 3 MISSIONS TO OWN THIS HOUSE TWICE AND IT NEVER CLUED ME IN ON THIS SHIT?! WHY WAS CLEANUP AT THE END OF THE LIST YOU HAD TO SCROLL THROUGH?!

There has to be a console command for triggering the cleanup... somehow.

Pollux

I think this just needs to be discussed some more. I mean think of the possibilities.

Did you guys see that oblivion and morrowind are included in the game? (not the original games, the continents.)

http://www.oxmonline.com/skyrim-contains-whole-morrowind-and-oblivion

This is going to be a big ass game if those are there for expansions.

How do you get it? The Jarl and her ilk won't tell me squat.

I'm starting to roll with coin and want to spend it.
Same. I've done all the quests related to it and still don't have the option to purchase the house.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a bug. The Black Star is not meant to hold non-black souls.

It's not a "bug" so much as Bethesda's scriptwriters put in a line of dialogue describing the artifact working in a way which couldn't actually occur; i.e. Black Soul Gems in both Skyrim and Oblivion have always worked this way. I assume this is probably due to the fact that the team that writes the dialogue isn't the team that programs the game.

The benefit to choosing Azura's Star over the Black Star is that you get a free companion.

Dodge it from its left side. It only shoots the same spot.
This is wrong. It doesn't work like that. You can attempt to go around it but it will shoot you on the other side. You have to be strong enough to survive one hit of it and remove the soul gem from the pedestal to get to it unless you use a ward/frost resist.

HTuran

I think this just needs to be discussed some more. I mean think of the possibilities.

It is a really cool find, but I'm guessing it's only there to give context about how the world fits together. I doubt it's any indication of DLC.

It's not a "bug" so much as Bethesda's scriptwriters put in a line of dialogue describing the artifact working in a way which couldn't actually occur; i.e. Black Soul Gems in both Skyrim and Oblivion have always worked this way. I assume this is probably due to the fact that the team that writes the dialogue isn't the team that programs the game.

The benefit to choosing Azura's Star over the Black Star is that you get a free companion.
Gotcha.

kodt

Banned

That thing just kicked my ass last night before I quit playing.

Haunted

Ahh, so I have to combine two DIFFERENT ingredients that both do the same thing and then both those ingredients will have a second effect?
The effects are set for each ingredient, you just have to "discover" them by using two different ingredients who share an effect.

To get people started, the first effect can be discovered by eating an ingredient once.

erragal

Yes. That's basically alchemy in a nutshell. You can combine up to three ingredients so there's all kinds of combinations you can create. It's a lot of fun and also ridiculously powerful to boot!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It is a really cool find, but I'm guessing it's only there to give context about how the world fits together. I doubt it's any indication of DLC.

I thought it would have been a neat touch if you could see White Gold tower from High Hrothgar, but you can't.

Pollux

Gotcha.

I think an interesting expansion would be to investigate Morrowind now that it would be destroyed. Anyone have any ideas on what possible expansions could be, or what they would like to see.

I can also almost guarantee that TES VI will have something to do with the Aldameri Dominion.

My personal guess, considering it will be on a console that can support something even bigger and better than Skyrim I expect it to be even more dynamic than TES V. Where you can choose your side and the game completely changes based upon that, or something like that.

MrBig

Haha, went through the exact same thing. Tips!

1) You aren't
Guild Master
after finishing the main quest. I know, the game lies to you. You have to...

2) Do 5 mini-missions in each city. After doing so, you get 'special missions'.

3) These 'special missions' are the best part of the Guild questline. Lots of sneaking and thievery to be had. Doing all these missions will...

4) Bring the guild back to prosperity, get you fences, bring merchants into the tavern and end up
with you as Guild Master

I know, it's unintuitive and the game lies to you. I wrote a post almost exactly the same as yours a few days ago. Just go along with it.
Is there any way to do it and keep the
skeleton key?

Lakitu

st5fu
:lol

Had an epic fight with a frost dragon on a mountain. I finished it and it fell off the mountain while it's scales were burning. Fucking epic.

Doodlebug

Elder Dragons made dragon encounters hairy again, but only until I took the Apprentice Restoration perk for Fast Healing. They're still lots of fun.

ced

Shoot the gem with a bow, it will fall off on to the ground. I was pleasantly surprised when that actually worked, cause that thing was one shotting me.

Noaloha

Thought I'd take a break from my studies at Scandinavian Hogwarts and go through my list of miscellaneous quests, turning on the markers for any that look quick and easy, just to trim the list down a tad. Stuff like 'deliver the potion to the shop', 'talk to Billy Hornhat in the inn', 'find the farmer's missing dog' and 'fetch a beer for the Jarl'. The dog one looked real simple so I put that at the top of my Quick Stuff To Finish Off list. I should have known better.

For anyone that has dealt with dogs (I don't know if there're more story-tied mutts than just that one), did you find that they have an incessant urge to continuously rub up against your leg and push you around? Fucking thing was driving me nuts. I'm trying to pick books off a shelf here dog, piss off and lie down or something!

I also gave the related quest reward from that escapade to Lydia. I'm so amused.

Best thing of the night though? After forty hours of play since I was given a certain peculiar fetch quest, I've FINALLY found a flawless ruby. Yesssss.

I recently had a pretty crazy fight with a Blood Dragon where he kept burning my companion, whom I plan to stay with for the rest of the game, and it was a serious juggling act of trying to heal him and myself while still damaging the dragon.

It was epic and I found myself genuinely nervous for my buddy's life. I'll never let you die, my furry warrior friend.

Davedough

I really wish there was an easy way to tell what level the thing you're fighting is... or if there is some way, someone could tell me. I spent the last day and a half getting raped in a dungeon I had no business being in. I thought I was weak as hell until I went into a dungeon that I didn't just stumble upon and was actually for my level and decimated everyone in existence.

I cant tell how hard something is going to be to fight until I realize that my hits aren't taking anything off of them or each whack with their axe is taking a huge chunk of my life.

Angry Grimace

I recently had a pretty crazy fight with a Blood Dragon where he kept burning my companion, whom I plan to stay with for the rest of the game, and it was a serious juggling act of trying to heal him and myself while still damaging the dragon.

It was epic and I found myself genuinely nervous for my buddy's life. I'll never let you die, my furry warrior friend.

I think part of my reluctance to use companions is remembering how ridiculously fragile every NPC in Oblivion was.

scy

Adrianne has her own inventory/money until you go indoors. Once you go indoors the inventory/money resets and now they match even if you go back outside. It's really weird.

This, basically. I've screwed up and lost thousands of gold (...not that it matters) by giving the inside Blacksmith tons of money and then talking to Adrianne. I return and, oops, back to start!

Incidentally, he also seems to be the only vendor I can infinitely invest with.

I think part of my reluctance to use companions is remembering how ridiculously fragile every NPC in Oblivion was.

They're rather robust since enemies cannot kill them barring DoT/Lingering effects. You can kill them, though. But, besides that, they're basically incapable of dying.

Reposting my question, 'cause I really wanna know: Is there an advantage to "duel-wielding" your fists? I'm rolling an unarmed Khajiit at the moment and wondering if there's an advantage to putting away the spell in my left hand when entering combat. Will I do more damage if both hands are free?

GhaleonEB

I'm that way about my horse.

Dresden

Companions make things a little too easy, especially when you realize they won't die unless you whack them yourself while they're doing the Tebow.

Not as bad as Conjuration, though.

Companions make things a little too easy, especially when you realize they won't die unless you whack them yourself while they're doing the Tebow.

Not as bad as Conjuration, though.

It's so annoying ruining your companions with a stray sneak attack arrow or dragon shout and then having to reload because they perma-died. But when they work, they work.

The companions in Skyrim are virtually immortal. The only things that can kill them are ongoing damage (probably a bug) and you.

Honestly? I sort of like having that option to kill them, even if it's difficult. Either give us the option to kill them, or dismiss them from our homes permenantly in the case of our annoying housecarls.

calder

I was terrified a blood dragon was going to kill my horse (I just bought him!) outside the stables of Solitude. I was trying to pull the dragon away from my horse, then eventually realized that not only was my horse fighting the dragon (along with at least one of the horses from the stable) but they were holding their own. I eventually killed the dragon with arrows and all the horses seemed fine, impressive considering they were on fire for a solid 5 minutes.

So yeah, the horses seem pretty durable. Only time I killed mine was a long fall down a mountain, trying to back away from the cliff somehow made my horse take two steps forward. Tough as balls sure, able to trot up a 50 degree icy incline with no problem but when it comes to responsiveness the horse ain't exactly Agro. :|

I haven't used a single companion yet simply because I'm always stealthing around and I assume they'll fuck up my ninjaing. Are they worth having if you primarily creep through levels as an archer?

Shadowmere is the best tank in the game. When a dragon attacks, all I have to do is let Shadowmere aggro the dragon while I snipe with arrows from a safe distance. Its insane health regen pretty much insures that it can't die in battle.

webrunner

Honestly? I sort of like having that option to kill them, even if it's difficult. Either give us the option to kill them, or dismiss them from our homes permenantly in the case of our annoying housecarls.

That's why I took a cute bumbling dunmer mage. Being a mage, she tends to stand behind me.

To Azura -> Azura's Star
To Nelacar (the Elf) -> Black Star
Awesome

Just buy pre-filled grand soul gems from all over the place. I haven't even done that quest in my game and I've never really found myself lacking in souls. Unless you want to suck every soul you use in the game I doubt you'll notice it.
This is mainly to break enchanting to have 100% reduced mana cost, I really haven't found many GSG yet.

Yes and yes. I fought 4 IN the college alone. No worries. They have guaranteed spawns in select locations and in quests.

I've been hanging around the same places you have, and I've encountered maybe 5 or 6 dragons in around 20 hours. Two of em attacked the mage's college, actually. It was hilarious how quickly he went down with 6 master level mages casting firebolts at him.

Dang, maybe my reputation is out amongst dragon-kin or something because I haven't even seen them in the distance! Like one dragon and I died after killing it because of a bunch of giants around it, since then about 30 hours without a single sighting.

Elder Dragons made dragon encounters hairy again, but only until I took the Apprentice Restoration perk for Fast Healing. They're still lots of fun.

Ancient Dragons are much harder than Elder, their fire breath does stupid amounts of damage.

Once had two Dragons fighting me at the same time, was a bit of a struggle.

bengraven

Annoys me that some things like arrows and armor have the exact same damage/armor rating.

With so few sets of armor in this game, make me feel like I'm actually upgrading more often.

Atruvius

This is wrong. It doesn't work like that. You can attempt to go around it but it will shoot you on the other side. You have to be strong enough to survive one hit of it and remove the soul gem from the pedestal to get to it unless you use a ward/frost resist.
Well, it just kept shooting at the same spot for me and I just ran past it. Got hit once because I didn't know what it was. Didn't stop to look if tried to hit my back so I guess I was wrong then.

Top Bottom