• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I don't know how helpful this is for you guys, but I made an Access database the other day for myself of all of the ingredients and effects, and put it into a pivot table so that i could search by either effect or ingredient.

Example: If I find Purple Mountain Flower and want to know what I can do with it, I use the Ingredient tab. But if instead I want to make a Slow Poison, but don't know what ingredients I need, I use the Effects tab.

Anyway, I am not a master of internet publishing, so I just put the info into a google spreadsheet and posted it here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GJCUE9YZGM1TlN5aTUtMnpFM1NOOUE&hl=en_US&gid=0. It's not as nice as the Access form, but you can look at either the ingredients page or the effects page and use it as a reference for your alchemical forays.

Mik2121

Alright... 43 hours into the game, I think it's time I start to care a bit about those souls you guys talk about.

Anyone nice enough to explain me how all this enchantment stuff works, or link me to some good wiki link?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Holy shit, Arch Mages are no joke. These guys should have special red robes or something so you know not even to shoot them from 200 yards away.

I'm still raging so hard about the Hjerim bullshit, and probably will until I get a fix, because it's my favorite house so I'll see it all the fucking time. Matters of aesthetics like this are 1000x more important to me than even the entire broken looting/economy system of the game.

I've never seen her without the hood... is it that bad?

She's got the big, dumb perky pigtails.

508px-Brelyna_%28without_hood%29.jpg

Jenassa's the most attractive Dunmer companion, IMO.

The one mod I really want is some sort of timer on the HUD for potions, spells and whatnot. I'd like to know when my Bound Bow is about to disappear on me.

scy

This is mainly to break enchanting to have 100% reduced mana cost, I really haven't found many GSG yet.

Just check all the Mage vendors at the College and Whiterun (just my city of choice) as well as the General Stores. You're bound to get a few per visit. I think my characters have 30-40 filled Grand Soul Gems for no reason besides I keep buying them out of habit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alright... 43 hours into the game, I think it's time I start to care a bit about those souls you guys talk about.

Anyone nice enough to explain me how all this enchantment stuff works, or link me to some good wiki link?

Are you talking about soul trapping? It's pretty simple. Soul traps (or soul trapping/snaring weapons) will trap the soul of an enemy you kill and store it in a soul gem.

Soul gems filled with souls are then used to fuel the "ammunition" for the enchanted weapon you're using. When a soul gem is used, it shatters, and cannot be used it again.

Only weapons run out of juice. Gear that has an enchantment on it will never run out (which makes it a bit overpowered, since they took repairing out of the game).

Only black soul gems can hold human souls, as far as I know, so if you have a weapon that relies a lot on soul gems, Do the Azura Star quest and turn it into a black star. This way, you can trap human souls, and using the black star to refill your enchanted weapon won't destroy the gem in question.

When making enchantments on weapons, you can choose if you want higher effects per hit, or more hits.

When an enchantment runs out of juice, it still functions as a normal weapon, but any additional enchantments on it will be inactive. Weapons also cannot break, so you can really just fill it up any time you want.

The best enchanted weapons I've run across have a damage enchantment and a soul trap/soul snare on them, allowing you to collect souls while attacking, rather than having to use a separate soul trapping weapon or spell. The Mace of Malag Bol is an example of this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
She's got the big, dumb perky pigtails.

508px-Brelyna_%28without_hood%29.jpg

Jenassa's the most attractive Dunmer companion, IMO.

Erandur looks pretty cool, and he looks a lot better after I gave him DB gear and Volsung. :p

Is it me or does being a Vampire in this game really suck? I remember it being more fun in Oblivion. Fighting fire breathing dragons as a vamp can be really hard. :lol

thetrin

Is it me or does being a Vampire in this game really suck? I remember is being more fun in Oblivion. Fighting fire breathing dragons as a vamp can be really hard. :lol

I'm still unclear on what you can and can't do as a Vampire. I always consider vampirism as game ruining, but I'm curious. Can you actually still do most quests as a vampire? I thought everyone just hated you and tried to kill you all the time.

(also, I see what you did there)

Is it me or does being a Vampire in this game really suck? I remember is being more fun in Oblivion. Fighting fire breathing dragons as a vamp can be really hard. :lol

What people don't appreciate about vampirism is that contracting it intentionally is really embracing a particular playstyle. "I'm super weak during the day!" - Yes, that's because you're a vampire. Be grateful it doesn't kill you in seconds like in Oblivion. "I can't fight fire-breathing dragons!" - No, you cannot, because your flesh is weak to fire. A vampire would know this and choose his prey accordingly.

I'm still unclear on what you can and can't do as a Vampire. I always consider vampirism as game ruining, but I'm curious. Can you actually still do most quests as a vampire? I thought everyone just hated you and tried to kill you all the time.

(also, I see what you did there)
In the first stage, you can do everything a normal character can. You just have to keep feeding to maintain your "facade". It all goes downhill from there, but you grow in power exponentially.

Philthy

I don't know how helpful this is for you guys, but I made an Access database the other day for myself of all of the ingredients and effects, and put it into a pivot table so that i could search by either effect or ingredient.

Example: If I find Purple Mountain Flower and want to know what I can do with it, I use the Ingredient tab. But if instead I want to make a Slow Poison, but don't know what ingredients I need, I use the Effects tab.

Anyway, I am not a master of internet publishing, so I just put the info into a google spreadsheet and posted it here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GJCUE9YZGM1TlN5aTUtMnpFM1NOOUE&hl=en_US&gid=0. It's not as nice as the Access form, but you can look at either the ingredients page or the effects page and use it as a reference for your alchemical forays.

You rock. I was wishing I had something like this the other night.

Thanks!

thetrin

Why am I getting Morrowind vibes when looking at this shot?

Because Morrowind is home to the Dunmer?

In the first stage, you can do everything a normal character can. You just have to keep feeding to maintain your "facade". It all goes downhill from there, but you grow in power exponentially.

I like being a werewolf more. Get a disease resist buff, and just play the game like normal.

Because Morrowind is home to the Dunmer?

I like being a werewolf more. Get a disease resist buff, and just play the game like normal.
Lycanthropy is definitely the better option, if you're comparing the two. I guess you could say the biggest advantage of being a vampire at the highest level of vampirism is that you can still loot corpses and use items at the height of your power, unlike werewolves. I believe they're both valid playstyles, though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jumped from about 27 Smithing to 73 smithing yesterday, almost all on Iron Daggers.

That was interesting. Exquisite Sharpening is nice!

thetrin

Lycanthropy is definitely the better option, if you're comparing the two. I guess you could say the biggest advantage of being a vampire at the highest level of vampirism is that you can still loot corpses and use items at the height of your power, unlike werewolves. I believe they're both valid playstyles, though.

I honestly don't ever use my beast form. I wouldn't mind some side effect like being forced to turn into a beast during certain moon phases or something, but the fact that it never forces you to use it means there's really no reason NOT to pick it up (unless you want to be a vampire I guess).

Jumped from about 27 Smithing to 73 smithing yesterday, almost all on Iron Daggers.

That was interesting. Exquisite Sharpening is nice!

Just wait until you can make Legendary Dragon and Daedric gear. :D

What people don't appreciate about vampirism is that contracting it intentionally is really embracing a particular playstyle. "I'm super weak during the day!" - Yes, that's because you're a vampire. Be grateful it doesn't kill you in seconds like in Oblivion. "I can't fight fire-breathing dragons!" - No, you cannot, because your flesh is weak to fire. A vampire would know this and choose his prey accordingly.
I can deal with the weakness to fire (leather boots of waning fire ftw) and having to feed on people every once in a while (sneaking into houses is fun), but I don't see any benefits. The problem is that I really liked vampirism In Oblivion, but I can't remember the reason. I think the thing that annoys me the most, is the lack of stamina regeneration during the day. I like wandering around, but it would be good if I could actually run away from those random encounters with the fire dragons.

thetrin

What if you're a Dunmer Vampire? Does the Dunmer fire resistance cancel out the vampire weakness to fire?

Philthy

Companions make things a little too easy, especially when you realize they won't die unless you whack them yourself while they're doing the Tebow.

Not as bad as Conjuration, though.

They die easily enough. If they get nuked by any powerful magic spell while they're kneeling they'll just up and die. Which is quite a bit beyond the beginning of the game.

Awesome, I'm glad somebody aside from me can use it!

Yep! Got it all printed out and will be using it tonight onwward.

thetrin

I burn people to a crisp and then club them over the head with my evil daedric mace. I don't miss anything.

What is this iron dagger thing people keep talking about?

you can grind iron daggers to get smithing all the way to 100. It never becomes obsolete.

GhaleonEB

Decided to nudge the main quest along and get dragons out into the world, so I could start using Shouts. Killed the first one, and when I tried going to the magic menu to access the Shouts, the game hard locked.

This generation, the only games to crash my Xbox have been Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Skyrim is amazing in many ways, and more stable than Oblivion and Fallout 3 in my experience so far, but this sort of thing really is inexcusable, Bethesda.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
decapitations must be pretty rare or level capped...

i did te dark brotherhood cheapie assassination mission with the two vampires, i killed the husband and dawnbreaker sent the wife into flee mode. caught er cowering in the corner of her house and decapitated her mid-sentence as she screamed for help. it was brutal. First decap i ad seen in the game, i was not expecting it.

the main DB quest where you have to kill the
woman at her wedding
made me feel bad and want to reconsider my allegiance.

I can deal with the weakness to fire (leather boots of waning fire ftw) and having to feed on people every once in a while (sneaking into houses is fun), but I don't see any benefits. The problem is that I really liked vampirism In Oblivion, but I can't remember the reason. I think the thing that annoys me the most, is the lack of stamina regeneration during the day. I like wandering around, but it would be good if I could actually run away from those random encounters with the fire dragons.

Yeah. To me, though, nothing was as annoying as literally being scorched to death in the daytime after being made a vampire in Oblivion. If you accidentally reached a level where the sun started hurting you while you were in a cave or something, it became a mad-dash for shelter.

decapitations must be pretty rare or level capped...

i did te dark brotherhood cheapie assassination mission with the two vampires, i killed the husband and dawnbreaker sent the wife into flee mode. caught er cowering in the corner of her house and decapitated her mid-sentence as she screamed for help. it was brutal. First decap i ad seen in the game, i was not expecting it.

the main DB quest where you have to kill the
woman at her wedding
made me feel bad and want to reconsider my allegiance.

I don't know about level-capped, but as soon as i got the perk I got decapitations pretty regularly. At least once or twice a dungeon when fighting humanoids.

Lakitu

st5fu
I love how some manly dudes just come up to you and say you're a milk drinker who cries to your mother while your decked out in Ebony gear and have a fire enchanted greatsword on your back.

you can grind iron daggers to get smithing all the way to 100. It never becomes obsolete.

Wish I would've known this earlier! Any drawbacks to using this method?

Let's post the most attractive companions/potential wives! The most attractive woman I've seen is probably Lydia but I hope it gets better than that. Anybody with big boobs or cleavage?

Philthy

I'm curious if this is a bug or an oversight. Generally for something like this every few levels gained from a skill would require you to level up using the next tier of weapons to get a worthwhile increase out of it. I could understand it might get in the way requiring people to take certain perks to gain the next tier of weapons. Maybe they could have had skill increases off a certain item be limited to 50 per item or something. Make 50 iron daggers and you know all you can know about making iron daggers. Move on to iron bracers etc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone not sold on the Vurts Flora mod, here are a couple of sample pics I took for the aspen leaf pattern

tesv2011-11-2217-03-25kkoe.png

tesv2011-11-2217-04-3hmjyp.png

There is more detail in the leaf textures on top of the other things like trees and bark. See the PC performance thread for the others I took.

Arjen

Good stuff! Will definitly help when i dive into the alchemy stuff

woober

As much as I like this game... the combat glitches on the PC and lack of polishing of the UI out of a console game are becoming more and more apparent.

First, enemies that have shouts that remove the weapon you have in hand on to the floor is amazingly FRUSTRATING. The item is no longer on your favorite list, so you have to go into the menu, favorite it, and reassign a hotkey to it mid-battle.

Then, when your item runs out of charge, you cannot scroll through your gems to recharge it like you think it should intuitively. Instead, the game makes you spend your more expensive gems if you don't know that you have to press w, or d to scroll through your gems.

Also, there are occasional bugs where your mouse buttons do not register. So you run up to the enemy expecting to be able to left click and hit, but you're just standing there like an idiot.

And then there's the Staff of Gauldurson which I use against tougher enemies, but will not work because eventually the weapon will no longer target what I am aiming at. Instead, the sparks from the staff will hit an arbitrary location and be locked there forever.

WTF!

I am so frustrated by these horrid controls that I paused the game in the middle of a boss fight to post this. I mean seriously.

seriouslyChan.png

thetrin

Wish I would've known this earlier! Any drawbacks to using this method?

Let's post the most attractive companions/potential wives! The most attractive woman I've seen is probably Lydia but I hope it gets better than that. Anybody with big boobs or cleavage?

Imo, the only drawback early on is that it affects your overall level too much, and all enemies scale with you. If you don't have appropriate gear or perks to counteract the scaling, things might get kind of rough.

I love how some manly dudes just come up to you and say you're a milk drinker who cries to your mother while your decked out in Ebony gear and have a fire enchanted greatsword on your back.

The best was that guy I met when I first walked into Whiterun way back when I started the game. He asked if I was Battle-Born. I said I was, and after that all he says "You've been a good friend to me. That means something".

The man must not have any friends, because all I did was tell him what he wanted to hear one time, and I'm like, bosom buddies with this asshole now.

On PS3 I've been having a bug where I'll lift my sword to swing it down, and then my character model will freeze. I'll be able to rotate around, but I'm essentially sword-wielding statue. It's essentially a death sentence. Either reload or wait for the enemy to kill you. Sucks if you haven't saved in a while.

Macmanus

So in Oblivion there was an amazing quest called "A Brush With Death" that you had to jump into a magical painting where the entire landscape emulated oil pastels. You would coat your weapons with turpentine to defeat the painted creatures.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:A_Brush_with_Death

Is there anything like this in Skyrim? Or more to the point; what are some "don't miss quests" in Skyrim just based on the level of creativity involved with it besides A Night To Remember (which was awesome)?

daviyoung

Banned
So in Oblivion there was an amazing quest called "A Brush With Death" that you had to jump into a magical painting where the entire landscape emulated oil pastels. You would coat your weapons with turpentine to defeat the painted creatures.

Is there anything like this in Skyrim? Or more to the point; what are some "don't miss quests" in Skyrim just based on the level of creativity involved with it besides A Night To Remember (which was awesome)?

Mind of Madness and the Wolfskull quest have been highlights for me so far.

Yes there are cool and unique quests (several of the daedra ones) - but none which involve entering paintings!

the damn dragons only seem to attack me when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I have yet to have a dragon attack when anyone else is around.
One time I had one hovering above a giant camp and got excited to see what the giants and mammoths would do, but it never attacked and I could never hit the damn thing with an arrow to piss it off (it was also too high for my shout, I guess).

Shy assholes. :(

Top Bottom