• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Dresden

My archer guy is like five hours total played and he's killed four dragons so far. I dunno what happened to the spawn rate, feels like every fast travel ends up with a dragon encounter.

And as an archer it's not that hard, it's just that they take so goddamn long, especially on Master difficulty.

woober

This arrow is still bugged in my head and it's slowly but surely driving me insane.

Do you have the PC version? The same happened to me and if you do, you can type in a console command and fix it.

Type "~" and then type "sexchange." Do it twice and it'll be gone.

And I found this for console users:

1) Run your game from the disk. Don't install it to your console HD
2) Get hit with arrows again
3) Transform into a werewolf (by drinking the blood of a werewolf. It's part of a quest in the Companions)

okenny

Banned
Who's gone through the labyrinthian dungeon already? If you're a slow methodical (read: greedy loot whore) player then how long would you say it took you to clear?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Do you have the PC version? The same happened to me and if you do, you can type in a console command and fix it.

Type "~" and then type "sexchange." Do it twice and it'll be gone.

And I found this for console users:

1) Run your game from the disk. Don't install it to your console HD
2) Get hit with arrows again
3) Transform into a werewolf (by drinking the blood of a werewolf. It's part of a quest in the Companions)

Or you can put your left foot in, take your left foot out, put your left foot in and shake it all about. You do the Hokey Kokey and you turn around....... Oh wrong game.

Forkball

Wow, just did the Night to Remember quest, really awesome with a good ending and reward. I also had one of the craziest moments in the game during that quest. It was a foggy mid-afternoon with a light rain, and I was headed to Roarksted. On my way I see an Imperial so I decide to talk to him. Midway through the conversation, a blood dragon starts swooping down. So the Legate, Lydia, and I start fighting it, and I get it to about half health. It flies away and starts attacking something in the distance. I can't quite tell what, but when I get closer I notice that the dragon starts attacking these giants. So the giants are trying to get a shot at the dragon, but he stays in the air and breathes fire. Well when I get closer, Lydia aggros the giants and they start attacking her and me. As I try to distance myself from the giants, one of their mammoths rushes at me. I forget about Lydia and just decide to haul ass out of there to Roarksted. I'm chewing through my stamina, and when I run out I see two giants, a mammoth, and a dragon chasing me. I just start gulping any stamina potion I have until I get to the Legate, and he starts fighting them as well. I think I'm home free and they're distracted enough, but one giant is STILL following me. So I keep running to Roarksted with this giant chasing me, and I can't get far enough to lose him. When I get in the town, the guards decide to be cowards and run away instead of backing me up. I finally get inside a building, Lydia respawns inside, and when I exit the giant is gone.

This game is amazing.

Trasher

Wow, just did the Night to Remember quest, really awesome with a good ending and reward. I also had one of the craziest moments in the game during that quest. It was a foggy mid-afternoon with a light rain, and I was headed to Roarksted. On my way I see an Imperial so I decide to talk to him. Midway through the conversation, a blood dragon starts swooping down. So the Legate, Lydia, and I start fighting it, and I get it to about half health. It flies away and starts attacking something in the distance. I can't quite tell what, but when I get closer I notice that the dragon starts attacking these giants. So the giants are trying to get a shot at the dragon, but he stays in the air and breathes fire. Well when I get closer, Lydia aggros the giants and they start attacking her and me. As I try to distance myself from the giants, one of their mammoths rushes at me. I forget about Lydia and just decide to haul ass out of there to Roarksted. I'm chewing through my stamina, and when I run out I see two giants, a mammoth, and a dragon chasing me. I just start gulping any stamina potion I have until I get to the Legate, and he starts fighting them as well. I think I'm home free and they're distracted enough, but one giant is STILL following me. So I keep running to Roarksted with this giant chasing me, and I can't get far enough to lose him. When I get in the town, the guards decide to be cowards and run away instead of backing me up. I finally get inside a building, Lydia respawns inside, and when I exit the giant is gone.

This game is amazing.
Was waiting for an epic ending. Didn't happen. lol

What is the best weapon enchantment? I was about to put drain HP on my bow but didn't know if there was something better to use overall.

Paralyze. It doesn't even have to be long; I use 2s so I can get more swings per full charge. When they get paralyzed they drop to the ground and have to go through an animation to get up so even a short paralyze is extremely powerful.

Thanks, I need to find a weapon with that. I did see one that was +60 magika dmg...thought that might be a nice combo.

GhaleonEB

Frostmere Crypt was a pretty fantastic dungeon.

I get to sit back and watch the opening fray, then first extract a quest prompt and then riches from the (corpse of the) woman at the beginning. Some good fiction in the diaries/notes/level design. Seemed pretty clear that I could choose to either
kill the Pale Lady, or put the sword back. I put it back, my bloodlust sated by the bandits. Then learn a Shout word and get some great loot at the end.

Very pleasant find. Random dungeons keep ending up with these kinds of surprises. Random dungeons in Skyrim are better than most quests in Oblivion.

Atrus

Gold Member
Almost at 100 hours and I still haven't visited two cities, a handful of towns, tons of dungeons and have more than 40 active quests at the moment.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Almost at 100 hours and I still haven't visited two cities, a handful of towns, tons of dungeons and have more than 40 active quests at the moment.

111 hours and haven't visited 4 of the major cities, only done quests in 2. Haven't done any guild/group/main quests outside of getting dragons to spawn. Feels good man.

Though now I haven't been able to play due to appointments, getting ready for Thanksgiving (having in-laws over and I have to cook!), and some Christmas shopping already. Maybe tomorrow.

Ezduo

Banned
Any way to get rid of arrows or ice spikes that get stuck in my character? Really distracting. They won't go away regardless of how much time passes.

Just hit 75 hours and I haven't visited 2 towns either or picked a side in the civil war or progressed anywhere in any of the faction quests or the main quest. Enjoying doing countless miscellaneous tasks. It's a little frightening how much content is in this game.

okenny

Banned
111 hours and haven't visited 4 of the major cities, only done quests in 2. Haven't done any guild/group/main quests outside of getting dragons to spawn. Feels good man.

Though now I haven't been able to play due to appointments, getting ready for Thanksgiving (having in-laws over and I have to cook!), and some Christmas shopping already. Maybe tomorrow.

This is why I took off the entire week before thanksgiving ;) I start cooking tomorrow afternoon so I've gotten a solid 11 days of play in and I can safely dial it back to 2 hours a day starting next week :3

Just hit 75 hours and I haven't visited 2 towns either or picked a side in the civil war or progressed anywhere in any of the faction quests or the main quest. Enjoying doing countless miscellaneous tasks. It's a little frightening how much content is in this game.

I'm the opposite. 46 hours in and I have visited over 100 locations but have crap load of quests that I haven't even touched yet. I do find that I can complete most quests pretty easy since I can fast travel to wherever I need to go.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Personally i wish for additional landmass, if not whole provinces (though High Rock wouldn't be too large, nor Summerset Isles if it is scaled down) then at least parts of them. Visiting Morrowind would be nice, Vvardenfell especially. Seeing how it has changed over 200+ years...
Shivering Isles was pretty good but not more Planes of Oblivion please, unless it is just a visit for one quest.
Skyrim has a lot of content already so i don't think it needs more, other than allowing us to divorce, remarry and/or have multiple spouses, own stores and shops and stuff, fund building cities or some cool stuff like that.
Makes me wish there was a castle building section of the game...

Would've made use of all those goddamn towers I cleared of bandits...CHRIST there are a lot of bandits in towers and caves.

When I'm listening to a character voiced by Stephen Russell that sounds like Garrett, I like to close my eyes and pretend I'm playing Thief 4. Am I weird?

Zaptruder

Banned
Oh man... my dual wielding sword user is ridiculous. Even on master difficulty, he stuns and kills most things within a second or two. A whole group of mobs will fall quickly.

Only problem is, even with legendary dragon armor at master difficulty, I feel like a paper tiger - I get one or two shotted by powerful mages, forcing me to keep reloading to kill them before they kill me.

I've turned it down to expert again, because monsters weren't so much tougher as they were more killy. The sense of satisfaction gained wasn't greater... it just required more reloading. Even without reloading, it's just... yup, I caned them, again.

Still, feel like a total bad ass (especially with the wind walk shout), and am significantly more powerful like this than in my werewolf form.

Hey, so my roomate started his game while logged into my xbox profile instead of his (so our saves are all bunched up together). Is there a way to transfer his saves to his profile?

Forkball

Oh man... my dual wielding sword user is ridiculous. Even on master difficulty, he stuns and kills most things within a second or two. A whole group of mobs will fall quickly.

Only problem is, even with legendary dragon armor at master difficulty, I feel like a paper tiger - I get one or two shotted by powerful mages, forcing me to keep reloading to kill them before they kill me.

I've turned it down to expert again, because monsters weren't so much tougher as they were more killy. The sense of satisfaction gained wasn't greater... it just required more reloading. Even without reloading, it's just... yup, I caned them, again.

Still, feel like a total bad ass (especially with the wind walk shout), and am significantly more powerful like this than in my werewolf form.

I'm also duel wielding swords and mages are my kryptonite. Keep in mind you can do double damage with a bow if you are hidden, it can be a life saver so you don't have to fight a mob of mages. Dual swords also has the coolest decapitation animation.

Wallach

Need to get on that magic resist man. Enchanting, alchemy, perks or even guardian stones; the Atronach in particular will help a lot against magic users. By level 30 my Breton would just sit there doin' the dougie while mages stood around lookin' real mad.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Screen_Shot4.png

Hoarders: The first step is to acknowledge the problem.

Forkball

Need to get on that magic resist man. Enchanting, alchemy, perks or even guardian stones; the Atronach in particular will help a lot against magic users. By level 30 my Breton would just sit there doin' the dougie while mages stood around lookin' real mad.

Bretons have 50% magic resistance by default. That is borderline cheating.

Does magic resistance guard against all elements or.. how does that work?

Wallach

Bretons have 50% magic resistance by default. That is borderline cheating.

It's actually only 25%, that loading screen is full of shit. Still it's totally awesome, plus they get Dragonskin on top of that. Stay free mages!

But yeah, there's a lot of ways to get magic resist, and if you're playing on master you'd damn well better get some.

Does magic resistance guard against all elements or.. how does that work?

Near as I can tell, it affects anything magical (including dragon magic). It's just harder to accumulate than individual elemental resists.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was bored last night, so I decided to do a quick little "Misc"-quest. Turns out it was one of the earlier game. So I walk into the dungeon, dude yells that he's gonna kill me, I wack him on the head and he's dead. Entire dungeon went that way, basically :D Dungeon did magic to my archery skill, every long distance bandit got one-shotted.

Mik2121

You know the one thing I would have loved for this game to have, and that I wish the next TES has? A full encyclopedia.

Text doesn't really take up all that much space, and they could probably have a big and nice encyclopedia with stories from the earlier games, locations of the whole world (not just Skyrim, but with the Skyrim ones being the most detailed obviously), and also some item viewer with a small description of the item, and an enemy compendium with a small description of the enemies and the 3D model that you can see rotate on the loading screens. Of course, you would fill it up as you keep finding new enemies, so at first there would be tons of empty entries, but hey... I know I would spend forever viewing those things :p

Anyway, 46 hours in. Only visited Whiterun out of the 9 cities.

GhaleonEB

I was bored last night, so I decided to do a quick little "Misc"-quest. Turns out it was one of the earlier game. So I walk into the dungeon, dude yells that he's gonna kill me, I wack him on the head and he's dead. Entire dungeon went that way, basically :D Dungeon did magic to my archery skill, every long distance bandit got one-shotted.

I do get a kick out of those. My bow/archery is so buffed at this point that I'm one-shotting even moderately high ranking bandits and the like. The 15x damage for daggers from sneak is ridiculously powerful as well.

When guys go down on their knees, almost dead from my arrows, I take some pleasure is pulling out my dagger for an up and personal finisher. Feels good. I think I enjoy it a bit too much actually. :lol

BeeDog

Alright, got some questions:

1. I've been buffing my Smithing skill with Iron Daggers and reached lvl 65 or something. Should I invest in any perks under that skill tree, such as Ebony Smithing or Arcane Smithing? Any suggestions?

2. I haven't used a bow during my entire run, so I have like lvl 15. What's the best way to increase that skill?

3. How do I buff my Enchanting skill most effectively?

Anybody know what the deal is between the Riften guards and the Imperial guards? Every time I arrive in Riften, the Imperial guards are laying waste to the Riften guards.

Nocebo

Alright, got some questions:

1. I've been buffing my Smithing skill with Iron Daggers and reached lvl 65 or something. Should I invest in any perks under that skill tree, such as Ebony Smithing or Arcane Smithing? Any suggestions?

2. I haven't used a bow during my entire run, so I have like lvl 15. What's the best way to increase that skill?

3. How do I buff my Enchanting skill most effectively?
If you're playing on PC, I think there are commands you can type in that give you the max of everything right away.

Drazgul

If you're playing on PC, I think there are commands you can type in that give you the max of everything right away.

That's not what he's asking.

1. Buy the perks that lead to daedric smithing, skip the rest (arcane smithing is your choice, with smithing and enchanting you can usually make better stuff than you can find as loot).

2. Shoot people. I'd save the 5 training points per level for something like alchemy.

3. Buy all the petty and lesser filled gems you find off of vendors (magic and general vendors have these, check the court wizards and Winterhold).

And general tip for leveling skills: Make sure you have the rested bonus from sleeping, as well as the relevant guardian stone effect on (The Thief for alchemy and archery, The Mage for enchanting, The Warrior for smithing etc.)

balddemon

Banned
is there a way to disable the opening sequence? mainly the wagon ride lol. i want to start my unarmed khajiit named Cassius Clay, but i don't really wanna sit through the opening stuff/tutorial...

edit: in response to whats going on above...i think nocebo meant something along the lines of "you could have saved lots of time using the console"...just today i made a batch file that when run levels your smithing up 35 times. i figured since i was gonna grind it up there with daggers/bracers anyways, why not save time.

Wallach

is there a way to disable the opening sequence? mainly the wagon ride lol. i want to start my unarmed khajiit named Cassius Clay, but i don't really wanna sit through the opening stuff/tutorial...

The game automatically makes save 001 right before you enter character customization. Unless you overwrote it, you should be able to load from there.

Darklord

Banned
I can't find a sword as good as my skyforge sword. I found like 4 other really cool swords and all 4 have been considerably weaker. :\

How do I have the time to be leader of BOTH the Companions as well as the College?

I'm an Arch-Mage.

I can do what I want with the fabric of reality if I so please to.

Top Bottom