• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I'm playing this game at a much slower pace than most of you, so a lot of you have probably already ran into this dude (I'm not going to mark it in spoiler text since I don't even think he's part of a quest, just some random guy), but here was something that happened today:

I was walking out of that major city in the west with a companion (who'd followed me there from almost the other side of the map... he was apparently really grateful for me robbing his ancestor's grave in a failed attempt to save his aunt) when I ran into three men. Two of them had almost all of their clothes off and were staggering around dancing and drinking. The third was a balding guy who told me to drink some of his special honey beer.

Now not only 20 minutes earlier, I had been in a completely different city that I just discovered, when someone got me into a drinking contest. I accepted, and suddenly wound up in the western-most city, which I had also never been to. So I was wary on drinking by this point.

So I wasn't sure and said that I preferred some dark beer or something, and all of a sudden he gets really pissy (and his naked dancing men stop dancing) and he tells me that he's leaving because I've made him mad and he calls me a dick for not drinking his beer. So I'm all fuck that, I bet those naked men have some great swords or something and I fucking smack one of them in the head with a club. He dies right away (armor rating sucks when you don't have any clothes on I guess), his naked twin dies moments later.

I turn around to attack the main dude and he's staggering around with an arrow right through his fucking eye and it's hilarious. He's wavering saying, "Please, I yield, I yield!" And this makes me really happy, because EVERY TIME someone's yielded to me, they do it RIGHT when I'm swinging my death blow, and I've never been able to see what actually HAPPENS if you let them yield. So I put my weapon away and watch to see if he's going to talk to me or stagger away or

My companion puts an arrow right into his other eye and the guy dies.

SKYRIM

Anteater

The bridge in Raldbthar deep market, wut.
I figure the gears were stuck and that's why there were no power for the button, so I wander around to see why they were stuck, after 10mins of searching, no clue, they look fine to me, so I looked on the web for a solution and seems like I'm suppose to remove items that got the cogs stuck, looked around, they look really clean to me... then I look on the floor and hover over the body pieces and I get the remove prompt, press remove and those pieces just stays there, but the cogs started moving again, Iunderstandcompletely.jpg

Durante

Wow, enchanting is totally broken. I just tried it for the first time, using up all the filled lesser and common soul gems I found so far, and it leveled 16 times and generated around 6k in wealth.

Now I have to split my perks between Conjuration, Destruction, Alteration, Restoration, Speechcraft and Enchanting. I hope I don't find anything in the Illusion tree that I really like ;)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm playing this game at a much slower pace than most of you, so a lot of you have probably already ran into this dude (I'm not going to mark it in spoiler text since I don't even think he's part of a quest, just some random guy), but here was something that happened today:

I was walking out of that major city in the west with a companion (who'd followed me there from almost the other side of the map... he was apparently really grateful for me robbing his ancestor's grave in a failed attempt to save his aunt) when I ran into three men. Two of them had almost all of their clothes off and were staggering around dancing and drinking. The third was a balding guy who told me to drink some of his special honey beer.

Now not only 20 minutes earlier, I had been in a completely different city that I just discovered, when someone got me into a drinking contest. I accepted, and suddenly wound up in the western-most city, which I had also never been to. So I was wary on drinking by this point.

So I wasn't sure and said that I preferred some dark beer or something, and all of a sudden he gets really pissy (and his naked dancing men stop dancing) and he tells me that he's leaving because I've made him mad and he calls me a dick for not drinking his beer. So I'm all fuck that, I bet those naked men have some great swords or something and I fucking smack one of them in the head with a club. He dies right away (armor rating sucks when you don't have any clothes on I guess), his naked twin dies moments later.

I turn around to attack the main dude and he's staggering around with an arrow right through his fucking eye and it's hilarious. He's wavering saying, "Please, I yield, I yield!" And this makes me really happy, because EVERY TIME someone's yielded to me, they do it RIGHT when I'm swinging my death blow, and I've never been able to see what actually HAPPENS if you let them yield. So I put my weapon away and watch to see if he's going to talk to me or stagger away or

My companion puts an arrow right into his other eye and the guy dies.

SKYRIM

I've let them yield a couple of times. They get up, draw their weapon and come at you again. Happened to me twice, so from here on in I'm the asshole that kicks, beats and clubs people to death while they're down.

Zeliard

Wow, enchanting is totally broken. I just tried it for the first time, using up all the filled lesser and common soul gems I found so far, and it leveled 16 times and generated around 6k in wealth.

Now I have to split my perks between Conjuration, Destruction, Alteration, Restoration, Speechcraft and Enchanting. I hope I don't find anything in the Illusion tree that I really like ;)

Enchanting and Smithing are such that both are exploitable by the newbiest of newbies (not that I'm calling you that :p). Letting you upgrade those skills to 100 by using garbage crafting materials is a terrible design decision, both from a gameplay and immersion standpoint. Same with having vendors sell you the stuff once you reach the appropriate level, which makes mining and scavenging for smithing items worthless.

I'm enjoying the game a lot and vastly more than Oblivion, but there's still tons of stupid shit in it.

Durante

Enchanting and Smithing are such that both are exploitable by the newbiest of newbies (not that I'm calling you that :p). Letting you upgrade those skills to 100 by using garbage crafting materials is a terrible design decision, both from a gameplay and immersion standpoint.
Yeah, when I got my first skill up just using some lesser soul stone I thought that it's probably simply because my skill level was so low (16 or so). But it doesn't seem to scale at all. You should really need to make more than throwaway items to advance past 25 or so.

Kaze13

I stayed at level 17 and leveled up to 36 without actually using the level up. Problem is that I want to use all the skills I earned. I did it, finished a few quest and found it suspiciously easy. Sure enough, I find that the difficulty was on novice instead of master. My gf was playing it before me and I was too preoccupied with what skills I wanted to level up. Lydia used to tear shit up. Now shes getting raped by one wraith. What's up? Should I just load a save made way before all this? Or is it because of her armor set? What should I do?

jorma

is now taking requests
I stayed at level 17 and leveled up to 36 without actually using the level up. Problem is that I want to use all the skills I earned. I did it, finished a few quest and found it suspiciously easy. Sure enough, I find that the difficulty was on novice instead of master. My gf was playing it before me and I was too preoccupied with what skills I wanted to level up. Lydia used to tear shit up. Now shes getting raped by one wraith. What's up? Should I just load a save made way before all this? Or is it because of her armor set? What should I do?

The problem i think is that Lydia stays at the same level while everything else scales, and there is nothing you can really do about it.

I have decided to simply not do any of the alchemy and enchanting stuff. As many said, it's broken, and it's not much fun anyway.
I just use the potions that I find, and only use soul gems to recharge magical weapons I have found.

Zeliard

Yeah, when I got my first skill up just using some lesser soul stone I thought that it's probably simply because my skill level was so low (16 or so). But it doesn't seem to scale at all. You should really need to make more than throwaway items to advance past 25 or so.

Yeah a simple fix would have been to require more advanced soul gems at various skill points. There's no skill gate. It's totally nonsensical that you can use exclusively petty/lesser gems (which with a soul trap weapon you can fill them up quickly and easily, or just buy them) to get your Enchanting to 100, and it just encourages people to do just that early on.

And it's identical with Smithing, where you can just keep making the simplest iron/leather items to get it to 100 (you can then fit those items with petty gems to level both Smithing and Enchanting to 100 quickly).

Ultimately it means that by using extremely common and cheap materials, you end up with the ability to create the best gear in the game fairly early on. Doesn't make sense on any level and even by Elder Scrolls standards it's an egregious exploit.

Ya I do. 3 saves and 3 auto
saves.

0/2 so far :(

Auwch, that's just weird. Hope it resolves itself. :/

Just came across this:
CZ8o0.png

So true.

Wooo, the 4th save I loaded worked!

Praise the dragonborn, only lost about 30m of gameplay.

Time to make a fresh save and delete the others.

Kaze13

The problem i think is that Lydia stays at the same level while everything else scales, and there is nothing you can really do about it.

Not even the following:

1. Load up old save and lvl up on master difficulty?
2. Give her better armor?
3. Lower the difficulty out of spite?
4. Just leave her at home....

Darklord

Banned
Ugh this sucks. Nothing I find is as good as the armour I bought early in the game(wolf armour) and the skyforge sword. I just found set another awesome helmet, bow and sword and none are any good stat wise.

Ugh this sucks. Nothing I find is as good as the armour I bought early in the game(wolf armour) and the skyforge sword. I just found set another awesome helmet, bow and sword and none are any good stat wise.

Forge some shit.

I didn't even know there WAS Wolf Armor in the game. :lol

Echoplx

Yeah you pretty much won't find anything better for a LONG while unless you decide to smith your own equipment.

Auwch, that's just weird. Hope it resolves itself. :/

Just came across this:
CZ8o0.png

So true.

Noticed that when I was shooting a straw dummy. I thought about downloading a mod that makes it fire straight but I like the challenge of arcing a shot from across the field when trying to hunt. There isn't anything more satisfying than hitting a deer on the other side of a field while its running away.

Zeliard

I went around with a companion for most of the game, but the Dremora Lord has pretty much rendered them obsolete. That guy. Had a fight the other day featuring a dragon and a couple of Mammoths and Giants and he unleashed a massive ass-beating.

At one point the Dremora Lord is fighting a Giant one-on-one and I just think "oh shit," thinking he's about to get knocked 100 feet in the sky, then I catch the Giant kneeling and the Dremora taunting him, finishing him off with his sword, then rushing away to slap around a Mammoth.

jorma

is now taking requests

yeah, i used the skyforge sword for about 50 hours until i finally found a unique daedric artefact sword (and that was barely better, but a lot cooler looking)

Yeah a simple fix would have been to require more advanced soul gems at various skill points. There's no skill gate. It's totally nonsensical that you can use exclusively petty/lesser gems (which with a soul trap weapon you can fill them up quickly and easily, or just buy them) to get your Enchanting to 100, and it just encourages people to do just that early on.

And it's identical with Smithing, where you can just keep making the simplest iron/leather items to get it to 100 (you can then fit those items with petty gems to level both Smithing and Enchanting to 100 quickly).

Ultimately it means that by using extremely common and cheap materials, you end up with the ability to create the best gear in the game fairly early on. Doesn't make sense on any level and even by Elder Scrolls standards it's an egregious exploit.
I'm sorry, but it still isn't exactly quick. Besides, you have the choice of doing it or not. You have the power to set whatever limit you want. Set maxes skill points at levels in your head if it means so much to you. It isn't a multiplayer game. It isn't a hard game. It's a game to have fun, and frankly, I don't find sitting around leveling blacksmithing and enchanting too fun. Skyrim has so much to do and see, I'd like to limit my time behind a forge. You can't make leveling something like that entertaining anyways, it will always be a grind. And last I checked, this is Skyrim, not World of Warcraft man! Have fun!

Zeliard

I'm sorry, but it still isn't exactly quick. Besides, you have the choice of doing it or not. You have the power to set whatever limit you want. Set maxes skill points at levels in your head if it means so much to you. It isn't a multiplayer game. It isn't a hard game. It's a game to have fun, and frankly, I don't find sitting around leveling blacksmithing and enchanting too fun. Skyrim has so much to do and see, I'd like to limit my time behind a forge. You can't make leveling something like that entertaining anyways, it will always be a grind. And last I checked, this is Skyrim, not World of Warcraft man! Have fun!

Yeah, it is quick, and I am specifically ignoring it because it's broken. I'm sitting on a gold mine of soul gems, and I have tons of leather stored away. The point is there's no particular reason it had to be designed this way. Trivializes the entire game's loot and gear system.

Tesseract

Banned
Wooo, the 4th save I loaded worked!

Praise the dragonborn, only lost about 30m of gameplay.

Time to make a fresh save and delete the others.

lucky you. mine completely corrupted with 20 hours on the clock. i decided to put it down until the dlc comes out.

what a shame.

lucky you. mine completely corrupted with 20 hours on the clock. i decided to put it down until the dlc comes out.

what a shame.
Ugh, that sucks. I'm almost at 40 hours and I'd quit too if that happened.

My game is taking forever to load now so indont think I'm out of the woods yet. Perhaps the start of my ps3 dying/buggy as fuck skyrim finally quitting on me.

I went around with a companion for most of the game, but the Dremora Lord has pretty much rendered them obsolete. That guy. Had a fight the other day featuring a dragon and a couple of Mammoths and Giants and he unleashed a massive ass-beating.

At one point the Dremora Lord is fighting a Giant one-on-one and I just think "oh shit," thinking he's about to get knocked 100 feet in the sky, then I catch the Giant kneeling and the Dremora taunting him, finishing him off with his sword, then rushing away to slap around a Mammoth.
So you're telling me that Conjuration is worth it, then?

ShinNL

I fucking hate spriggans. that is all.
When I first saw them I was hoping it to be a
conjurable
monster :<

Of all the trees I love conjuration the most on my dual wielding char. It just feels nice to summon an extra ally. My follower is a conjurer too, so during fights it's always a big group :D

I also stopped using my little Destruction magic that I had and switched to a bound bow for some occasional ranged combat. Sure it doesn't compare to a fully smithed and upgraded bow, but it looks darn cool :D (it shoots bound arrows!!)

I only use the 2nd summon since she's ranged, 1 OP melee char is enough (me dual slicing everyone).

Yeah, it is quick, and I am specifically ignoring it because it's broken. I'm sitting on a gold mine of soul gems, and I have tons of leather stored away. The point is there's no particular reason it had to be designed this way. Trivializes the entire game's loot and gear system.

guess i'm ignoring enchanting then. a broken game is not fun at all.

bad game design bethesda, very bad.

Zeliard

Conjuration is godlike.

My Conjuration is at like 95 now (it starts going up VERY quickly once you start summoning Daedra). Pretty soon I'll have the ability to summon two Dremora Lords, and I have a hard time imagining anything in the game that will be able to handle them. They're aggressive, resilient, and they hit like a truck.

Dresden

guess i'm ignoring enchanting then. a broken game is not fun at all.

bad game design bethesda, very bad.

Unless you go nuts and totally exploit the holy trinity of smithing, enchanting, and alchemy, I wouldn't worry about it. Basically one improves the other two and vice versa so they all combine to form Voltron swords and bows.

Zeliard

Yeah there's tons that show up in the Mage College courtyard, and the dragon skeletons there like to glitch up and occasionally terrify me when I enter through a door and a massive skeleton just appears and starts convulsing right in front of my face.

Conjuration is godlike.

My Conjuration is at like 95 now (it starts going up VERY quickly once you start summoning Daedra). Pretty soon I'll have the ability to summon two Dremora Lords, and I have a hard time imagining anything in the game that will be able to handle them. They're aggressive, resilient, and they hit like a truck.

I hate having companions with my archer assassin in confined areas. They always get in the way and I end up killing them with one of my arrows.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Checked my playtime, thought I played around 10 hours....25 hours in lol.

I love playing the game windowed while having a video playing as well.

Top Bottom