• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

AEREC

Is the 1 handed critical charge (power attack while sprinting is an automatic critical hit) perk not working for anyone else. For some reason it just stopped working for me, the 2H version still works though.

Also for some reason I just killed a random blood dragon by the hot springs south of Windhelm and didnt get his soul...Im worried my game is starting to break.

Are you told when a companion (or follower) is dead.

The very first time I bring Lydia out with me I come across another dragon, during the battle it became night time and when I killed it I noticed she was not around. Went on with my questing but now I see is she is not in Dragon Reach, she gone forever?

I'll tell you what. First off, yes she is probably dead permanently. No, the game doesn't tell you. But Lydia got to be so annoying, I got tired of reloading every time she'd die. Finally I let her die permanently. Every time I'd turn around, she'd be standing right on top of me. Frequently she'd stand in doorways, or get in my way when I was trying to retreat from a fight. I lost track of how many times I said out loud, "Get the fuck out of my way!"

Finally I let her die in a random fight and said good riddance.

I was wondering if anybody else noticed, but it seems to me that my magicka regenerates at a certain rate when I'm not in combat when I'm just restoring health or transmuting. But when I'm in combat, my magicka regenerates at roughly half the rate. It's definitely slower when in combat. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Salaadin

Is the 1 handed critical charge (power attack while sprinting is an automatic critical hit) perk not working for anyone else. For some reason it just stopped working for me, the 2H version still works though.

Also for some reason I just killed a random blood dragon by the hot springs south of Windhelm and didnt get his soul...Im worried my game is starting to break.

I dont know if Im doing it wrong or what but I hardly ever get that to work. I felt like I wasted a perk on it.

Boss Man

Well that's stupid. Couldn't they have used another NPC? What about the radiant quest system? Ah well. I don't want to live in Windhelm anyway.
I'd be upset too, but I'd call stuff like this a strength of the game not a weakness. You can prevent a series of events from (naturally) happening, or set them in motion. It's a pretty cool mistake to witness.

Kinan

I jumped on the horse from a waterfall and survived. But my horse - not. Took the main hit, I guess.

Also got hit by the first game stopping bug yesterday.
Joining a Thieves Guild too early breaks the main quest apparently. Gotta find another way to find that hiding old man.

cackhyena

"failed to rescue Thorald from Thalmor custody" As i sneak in to the place. I'm assuming they mean being able to persuade? I never had that kind of dialogue option with the dude at the front entrance.

Sat down to play last night and kicked off a quest in Whiterun that had me running to the far north-west corner of the map. Since I very rarely use fast travel, I set off on foot, and as usual in Skyrim, rand into a number of new locations and adventures along the way. Mostly I just wandered past ruins and dungeons to add them to my map so I could return to them later, as I really did want to do the quest I was working on.

Eventually, I reached some big mountains and I started to move up them, looking for a shortcut to where I needed to go to meet some others who were going to assist me. Clearly I wasn't on the right path, but I kept thinking that if I could just top over the ridge, I'd be able to get there. I couldn't climb the mountain, but I did discover a wall with a Shout word on it and immediately went to claim it.

Of course, one of those nasty uniquely named dragon priests jumped out of the crypt, and an epic fight ensued. We battled back and fourth, each of us dishing out as much damage as we took. It was a hard fight, but eventually I was able to take him down.

After looting his corpse I returned to the wall and checked to see if I had missed anything. There weren't any more chests or loot to be found, but I did discover a door that I hadn't noticed before, and barely noticed this time. I went inside to see what was happening, and it turns out I was actually going in the back door, which you're suppose to come out at the end of the dungeon. I was immediately confronted with one of those nasty undead lords and another epic fight ensued. Eventually I won that one too, and elected to delay my original quest while I explored this new place.

I worked my way through the dungeon, taking out spiders and undead along the way, but eventually I reached a gate that I could open from my side. Having realized long ago that I was actually going backwards through the dungeon, I eventually decided to back track and see if I could find the other entrance. I did, and it was guarded by some bandits, which I dispensed with quickly and went inside.

I spent the next hour or so clearing the other side of the dungeon and finding the gate that I had been stuck at before. Throwing a switch, the gate opened and I stepped through, took a look around, confirmed that this was the same spot I had ended at before, and decided to backtrack to the front. Half-way there, I discovered that a puzzle that I had to solve on my way in had closed another gate behind me, and I wasn't able to go back the way I came. That meant I had to trudge back through the dungeon yet again, just to get back out the mountain top door that came through originally. Fortunately, I had slaughtered everything in the place, and just needed to avoid some traps along the way.

When I did finally get out, it was nearly 1 AM in the real world and I needed to get some sleep. I still have to go back and finish the original quest that I was on that took me to that part of the world to begin with.

This game is amazing. So many things to pull you away from what you intended to do, and yet it doesn't detract at all. It truly is a vast world filled with things to see an do.

"failed to rescue Thorald from Thalmor custody" As i sneak in to the place. I'm assuming they mean being able to persuade? I never had that kind of dialogue option with the dude at the front entrance.

I think you have to go through some other questline, because that dude won't even talk to you until you have some kind of "imperial authority" or something. I ended up slaughtering ALL of them and just busting the guy out.

Salaadin

I got that too. I was still able to save him though I had to strongarm my way in.
I never got any persuasion dialogue either. Maybe our speechcraft was too low? I dont know. All I could get from the guy was "HAHA! Even if we had someone named Thorald here, I wouldnt let you in!" or something like that. So I killed him.

Addnan

Question about an early Dark Brotherhood quest:

Woman tells me to kill a dude, and then she offers me another optional quest to kill a woman. I find the optional woman first. Follow her around town, wait until the middle of the night and break into her house. She's sleeping. As soon as I approach her bed, even when I'm sneaking, she wakes up and suddenly a guard is in the house and I'm screwed. I could not figure out how to kill her; no matter what I did, the guard appeared immediately when I killed her. And there's another woman upstairs in the house who comes down immediately as well. How was I supposed to kill that optional lady?

Pretty sure you kill the women upstairs. Look closely at the white arrow. I think I did a similar thing and tried to kill the women downstairs. Shes impossible to kill.

kodt

Banned
I jumped on the horse from a waterfall and survived. But my horse - not. Took the main hit, I guess.

Also got hit by the first game stopping bug yesterday.
Joining a Thieves Guild too early breaks the main quest apparently. Gotta find another way to find that hiding old man.

Can you explain?
I joined the thieves guild pretty early and I have only done the first few guild quests, I have done the main quest up to talking to the graybeards for the first time.

cackhyena

Ah, ok. Slaughter it is, guys. I'm not going looking for the legion. I just got here! Thalmor are some stuck up pricks anyway. They have it coming.

kafiend

I got the same journal x mark. I also had some related dialogue with
some Imperial Officer (can't remember who) in Solitude. It might only be possible to release the guy this way if you make the choice between Imperial/Stormcloaks.

ced

Sat down to play last night and kicked off a quest in Whiterun that had me running to the far north-west corner of the map.

See this is a problem to me in the ES games, your almost required to fast travel to do quests. Besides the main quest they should be centralized around a city or area. I mean it's awesome for one or two quests that you adventure across the entire map, but if you want to ever finish the game your going to end up just fast traveling back to back on quests.

Ah, ok. Slaughter it is, guys. I'm not going looking for the legion. I just got here! Thalmor are some stuck up pricks anyway. They have it coming.

Ok but be warned, there are a lot more guys in there than you might think. And towards the end, it gets a little tough. Depending on your level, of course.

cackhyena

Really confused. If i tried to just walk past the main entrance to the place, the guys attacked me on site. So I perched way back and hit them with ebony arrows. One and two shot kills. Thing is, no one was ever alerted. Even the ones that took two shots to kill just kept walking around like nothing happened. Strange, but I'll take it.

Pretty sure you kill the women upstairs. Look closely at the white arrow. I think I did a similar thing and tried to kill the women downstairs. Shes impossible to kill.

Nah it was definitely the woman downstairs sleeping, a white arrow directly over her head.

Hugs

... set off on foot, and as usual in Skyrim, ran into a number of new locations and adventures along the way. Mostly I just wandered past ruins and dungeons to add them to my map so I could return to them later, as I really did want to do the quest I was working on.... Eventually I won that one too, and elected to delay my original quest while I explored this new place....When I did finally get out, it was nearly 1 AM in the real world and I needed to get some sleep. I still have to go back and finish the original quest that I was on that took me to that part of the world to begin with.

This right here. Happens every time I sit down to play and it's what I love about the game. There are complaints about there not being any good loot in this game. IMO the shouts are the best loot there is. Every time I enter a dungeon it's because I think "hey, maybe there's a shout in here."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Was there a glitch with the "Visit the College of Winterhold" quest? The arrows point to a particular NPC, and she has 2 question responses, one about a teacher and the other about Arcano.

I've already asked both of the questions, can't really do much more with her, but the quest remain's active.

Also, found out that Dragons can kill named NPC characters. Dragon fought right outside of Riften. After the battle, I surveyed the "killing fields" for loot, and came across the husband and wife of the farm right outside of town (with the quest to steal back his bow from the thieves).

Guess he should have gotten a better bow.

At least they died together. Well, them plus a few nameless Riften guard. Together. In a pile.

I just found my first one last night in Markath. It has to do with an abandoned house. Didn't get very far yet but it seems awesome.

And actually a little bit scary. Can't remember how the Daedra were in Oblivion, but the whole "booming voice in your head" thing was unnerving.

Quick question: Could someone please point me to how exactly I start the
Daedric
quest line.
Thank you.

I've only done 3 so far they started by:
Talking to the blacksmith in Falkreath about a dog, visiting a shrine near solidtude and talking to a murderer in the basement of the barracks again in Falkreath.
I think I've found a few others but I haven't progressed anywhere on them.

scy

Yeah, the NPC you kill is meant to be killed by someone else, and your quest to get the house is to investigate the murder, but if you kill her none of this triggers and thus you can't get the house.

Should I spoiler tag that?

Isn't she only
targeted if you make certain choices in the quest
? We are talking about the Blood on the Ice questline, right?

Been awhile since I've done it but I have a character in the Dark Brotherhood to check later. If I get a chance to play any after work tonight.

FStop7

Banned
I definitely hit a ramp up point in difficulty last night. I crossed level 20 and suddenly I've started to die a lot more often. I've started being one and two shot killed by enemies, particularly spellcasters, where that never happened before.

And then there's Lydia. She's started dying frequently and easily, where she used to be a decent tank. I've been forced to re-load from saves after winning tough battles because she got herself killed several times now. She's just charging in like a nut. She's also starting to get in the way. She literally stepped in front of me a couple of times right as I was doing a two-handed power swing and my sword ended up hitting (and killing) her. I think I am going to 'retire' Lydia and just leave her to be housecarl in Whiterun and start using someone else as a fighting companion.

On the technical front, the crashes to desktop are starting to get really fucking obnoxious. Fix this shit, Bethesda. I had 3 of them last night. They don't cost me much as I save frequently, but it's just aggravating as hell to be right in the middle of something and then boom, desktop.

See this is a problem to me in the ES games, your almost required to fast travel to do quests. Besides the main quest they should be centralized around a city or area. I mean it's awesome for one or two quests that you adventure across the entire map, but if you want to ever finish the game your going to end up just fast traveling back to back on quests.

It's a playstyle choice I suppose. I elect to almost never use fast travel, as I simply love to explore and get distracted by this amazing world that Bethesda has put together. I will use fast travel when I simply don't have time to go on foot, and I want to wrap something up before I call it quits for the day. Usually at the end of quest when I just need to wrap things up. I think I've used it twice so far in Skyrim.

I will also use fast travel at the end of the game, when I've cleared most of the dungeons and I'm simply mopping up left over quests. In Oblivion I used it after I had finished the main quest and only had a few remaining dungeons to explore or quests to complete. Otherwise, I like to walk, wander, and explore. There are too many great things to discover out there. Of course, thats also why I'll probably end up with something like 200 hours of game time. :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mind explaining this? I don't get these pictures.

A little showing off as you can't get it to render like that on consoles. And the seemingly different filters that are introduced at different times. That and the view is high. I've scaled have that mountain by doing jumps but stopped. I only went up there to take pics for the PC thread and to benchmark. It's still neat.

Meteorain

So normally I play rpg's as a character who's a walking Juggernaut running around with a 2H weapon, but I decided to be different and run around all rogue-esque. Suffice to say, it's actually been pretty damn fun sneaking up on people and ninja killing them.

It's also somewhat amusing that I perform this job using a glowing mace and a fire axe! Imagine sneaking around with those on you!

A question though; I've been encountering random dragons as I wander around the map and have killed about 3 or so now and taken their soul. However unlike the first they did not empower any shouts of mine (I'm guessing because I haven't read the special word on the rock yet). Once I do read those words, will those souls eventually align with the proper power?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So normally I play rpg's as a character who's a walking Juggernaut running around with a 2H weapon, but I decided to be different and run around all rogue-esque. Suffice to say, it's actually been pretty damn fun sneaking up on people and ninja killing them.

It's also somewhat amusing that I perform this job using a glowing mace and a fire axe! Imagine sneaking around with those on you!

A question though; I've been encountering random dragons as I wander around the map and have killed about 3 or so now and taken their soul. However unlike the first they did not empower any shouts of mine (I'm guessing because I haven't read the special word on the rock yet). Once I do read those words, will those souls eventually align with the proper power?

Souls are generic. There isn't a specific "Rock Soul" or what-eve. You read shouts on the walls, and you use Dragonsouls to power them. Basically; any word + any dragonsoul = POWAH!

Ice form is still my favorite shout, you deal massive damage on a frozen NPC

brentech

It becomes your choice. Any words you have found, you then have the option to make available for use by spending your collected dragon souls in the "shouts" menu.

Sarcasm

Basically think of shouts as a currency. The shouts are the items. Once you learn you use a shout to be able to use it.

Wallach

Quadratus is level 11 now. Haven't started the main quest just yet, so no dragon encounters to speak of, just doing a few more odds and ends.

Melee is interesting. It's definitely not as bad as Oblivion was, as I really didn't care for melee in that game at all. Maybe it's because I'm focusing more on Block than I am One-Handed, but I'm enjoying being able to stand up in melee and take some hits, then zip out of the way in slow motion and stagger them from the side. It was quite a pleasant surprise when I got jumped by a Saber Cat at level 10 and blocked the first hit for like 10% damage (rather than the instant obliteration that my mage experienced). I definitely understand though the annoyance of enemy mages at this point, since I can't get my hands on any decent magic resistance yet. Should get better as soon as I can get to 50 Block though and get the Elemental Protection perk, as well as get my hands on the Atronach sign.

I'm not really sure what to do about ranged, if I should even bother dumping perks into Archery or Destruction, or maybe just use standard Archery with some staff support to handle it. I feel like if I do it right I should get to a point where I won't really need ranged support at all, so I'm kind of apprehensive about wasting perks towards that duty.

Pondering going back to my mage and finishing that character up before continuing. I still like being a Breton more than an Imperial, free magic resistance is pretty awesome.

On a pretty random side note, has anyone noticed it being very difficult finding cloth gloves? I feel like I've never found a single pair except for some Thalmor gloves I got off a corpse near the start of the game. I seriously can't find any non-armor gloves for my mage to enchant!

Top Bottom