• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sweet. I just had to track this dude for the Thieves' Guild and he went into a hideout in Solitude in which every bandit could one-shot me. Eventually beat the quest by sneaking around every bandit in the entire place except the two guarding my mark... stealth killed the two of them without being seen. Guy was pretty willing to talk by the time I walked up to him. :p

Durante

Zeliard, are you sure you'll be able to summon 2 Daedra? The perk description reads like it only applies.to Atronarchs and Undead.

Tr4nce

So GAF, please help me out here a second. I keep reading in the console performance thread, that the PS3 version suffers from all kinds of annoying things, like lagging when the amount of save game files gets too big, and also other problems. Would it be wise to wait a few more weeks then, before purchasing it for PS3? I played this game at a friend's place on X360 and I can't freaking wait to own it myself! But with all these problems going on, I don't know what to do...

You know what would have been great? A "reset perks points" button. Then people wouldn't have to start the entire game over if they wanted to see what other playstyles are like, or if they messed up their perk points early on.

Hopefully someone comes out with a mod that supports this.

Zeliard

Zeliard, are you sure you'll be able to summon 2 Daedra? The perk description reads like it only applies.to Atronarchs and Undead.

Yeah seems to work on Daedra despite not being specified (much like the Summoner and Atromancy perks).

I think the two that don't work on them are Elemental Potency (50% damage boost to Atronachs) and Dark Souls (100 hp boost to Undead). But the Dremora Lords definitely don't need those. :p

Conjuration is godlike.

My Conjuration is at like 95 now (it starts going up VERY quickly once you start summoning Daedra). Pretty soon I'll have the ability to summon two Dremora Lords, and I have a hard time imagining anything in the game that will be able to handle them. They're aggressive, resilient, and they hit like a truck.
Is there still a casting time limit for higher level spells? One of the only things I don't like about conjurations is the time limit.

Echoplx

You know what would have been great? A "reset perks points" button. Then people wouldn't have to start the entire game over if they wanted to see what other playstyles are like, or if they messed up their perk points early on.

Hopefully someone comes out with a mod that supports this.

Cut out the mod and just use console commands

player.removeperk <ID>
player.addperk <ID>

Zeliard

Definitely works, I (ab)used it extensively on my mage. Those are the guys I nicknamed Billy and Jimmy Lee.

Might be even more fun having one Dremora Lord and one Dead Thrall, with a powerful NPC like a Dread Overlord. Not sure if those guys can be res'd, though.

Darklord

Banned
Noooo! I just spend about an hour a half going through this MASSIVE Dewmer dungeons called Alftand. I get right to the very end, have a big battle and finally find what the characters inside have mentioned all this time. The grand treasure they wanted so much. I press the mechanism to open and...

"You lack the required item"

Noooooo! Are you kidding me? What item is it? One you find? One you get from a quest? I want that treasure! :x

NBtoaster

Noooo! I just spend about an hour a half going through this MASSIVE Dewmer dungeons called Alftand. I get right to the very end, have a big battle and finally find what the characters inside have mentioned all this time. The grand treasure they wanted so much. I press the mechanism to open and...

"You lack the required item"

Noooooo! Are you kidding me? What item is it? One you find? One you get from a quest? I want that treasure! :x

It's part of the main quest.

Zeliard

Is there still a casting time limit for higher level spells? One of the only things I don't like about conjurations is the time limit.

There are Master-level spells you can get later that summon a permanent Atronach to fight for you, or a permanent human zombie. Prior to that, the Atromancy perk doubles duration for Atronachs and Daedra, and the Necromancy doubles it for Undead.

If you dual cast Conjuration spells, they also last twice as long, so that means a solid four minutes with those perks.

Dual cast conjuration and atromancy pretty much render the master level conjuration spells pointless. The summon duration is not an issue, and mana regeneration outside of combat is so fast that there's little reason to ever have to worry about summons expiring.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So DB spoilers then ...

I'm finishing up the Dark Brotherhood quest after not doing a mission in a LONG time. Get to the point where i'm hunting Cicero into the old school DB sanctuary and figure in a kind of funny perfect for assassins and the DB way "I should totally summon Lachance.." Only to have him give me advice about the mission as i'm slaying other ghosts. And he helps. ... my head almost exploded with how into the game I was at this point.

Then we walked outside to Shadowmere .....

"..My old and dear friend...."

Fucking. Tight.

Echoplx

Dual cast conjuration and atromancy pretty much render the master level conjuration spells pointless. The summon duration is not an issue, and mana regeneration outside of combat is so fast that there's little reason to ever have to worry about summons expiring.

It also means you can redeploy your summons to the 'front line' if you want to avoid enemies coming after you first.

Wallach

Yeah, I only used the zombie thrall for kicks to mess with particular assholes I happened to kill. As in: "haha look at you standing in the river like an idiot zombie, why are you doing that, oh whoops, I paralyzed you and you're rolling down a cliff...", etc.

I don't know why exactly I would want permanent Atronachs. When you have Dremora Lord, you only really want Atronachs for particular purposes, to be switched out when that purpose is fulfilled.

Zeliard

That's mostly true. The Dremora Lords are probably the most powerful summons anyway and having those guys around for 4 minutes a pop is all you need.

But the Dead Thrall can potentially be cool, because once a body disintegrates you can't res them again. So if you potentially find a powerful NPC that you want to tag along, that could be handy to have around.

Nose Master

Didn't notice this until today, but every dog in this game:

Futurama%20dog.jpg

Zeliard

Yeah, I only used the zombie thrall for kicks to mess with particular assholes I happened to kill. As in: "haha look at you standing in the river like an idiot zombie, why are you doing that, oh whoops, I paralyzed you and you're rolling down a cliff...", etc.

I don't know why exactly I would want permanent Atronachs. When you have Dremora Lord, you only really want Atronachs for particular purposes, to be switched out when that purpose is fulfilled.

After getting the Dremora Lord the Atronachs were only really useful for the Storm one, in case I needed some long-range attacks, i.e. against a Dragon. Otherwise the Dremora Lord makes them pretty pointless.

Hugs

So GAF, please help me out here a second. I keep reading in the console performance thread, that the PS3 version suffers from all kinds of annoying things, like lagging when the amount of save game files gets too big, and also other problems. Would it be wise to wait a few more weeks then, before purchasing it for PS3? I played this game at a friend's place on X360 and I can't freaking wait to own it myself! But with all these problems going on, I don't know what to do...

So I have it on PS3 and I've put about 50 hours into it. Yes there is a framerate issue that the other platforms don't have, but (at least from what I have experienced) it's not all that egregious. The times I've had issues of slowdown/dropped framerates are:

Loading into Whiterun (the main city) it will stutter every now and then. Not too bad.
If Im in a battle with multiple mages casting a load of spells. Maybe it's something to do with the particle effects.
If I've been playing for 4+ hours straight it will start to stutter intermittently. It stops if I turn off the console for about 10 minutes.

There are problems, but they don't impose upon my experience that much at all. It's only been so bad that I got annoyed once in the 50 hours I've put into it. If you really want to play the game, I'd say go get it. It's not as bad as the internet makes out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just spent what would have to be the most boring 10 minutes of my life sneaking back and forth behind an unsuspecting bandit as to level up Sneak a couple of times so my overall level would increase, thereby allowing me to purchase the Assassin's Blade perk.

Then, so justice would be served, I sneak-attacked her with a glass dagger for 10x15 damage.

Wallach

After getting the Dremora Lord the Atronachs were only really useful for the Storm one, in case I needed some long-range attacks, i.e. against a Dragon. Otherwise the Dremora Lord makes them pretty pointless.

Yep. I also sometimes used a Frost to block a path because he's huge and doesn't move much while fighting, so he's like a positionable wall. Pretty rare though, and outside of Storm doing ranged business it was always me and the Dremora bros.

Zeliard

Yep. I also sometimes used a Frost to block a path because he's huge and doesn't move much while fighting, so he's like a positionable wall. Pretty rare though, and outside of Storm doing ranged business it was always me and the Dremora bros.

Haha yep, the Frost Atronach was pretty useful for blocking off chokepoints and keeping enemies subdued for a time. It could be pretty neat going around with a perma-Frost and a Dremora.

Wallach

Haha yep, the Frost Atronach was pretty useful for blocking off chokepoints and keeping enemies subdued for a time. It could be pretty neat going around with a perma-Frost and a Dremora.

Well the thing is I don't want to have the Frost out, I want to be able to throw the Frost down in combat if I see a choke. Master class spells require both hands and have a stupid long wind-up (3-4 seconds or something) so it's pretty useless in that kind of situation.

I just spent what would have to be the most boring 10 minutes of my life sneaking back and forth behind an unsuspecting bandit as to level up Sneak a couple of times so my overall level would increase, thereby allowing me to purchase the Assassin's Blade perk.

Then, so justice would be served, I sneak-attacked her with a glass dagger for 10x15 damage.

Epic thief/sneak build info below
Go to the Dark Brotherhood, get the armor AND robes. Robes set will give you 2x to backstab (total = 30x backstab damage with daggers) and +25% to sneak.

Alright, I can't figure out what's going on.

My 1H skill has been effected, it's dropped down to 20 on the skills page and is in red. I've tried curing diseases at the temple in whiterun but it didn't fix it.

My active magic effects is also not showing any debuffs. What am I missing?!

Wallach

Alright, I can't figure out what's going on.

My 1H skill has been effected, it's dropped down to 20 on the skills page and is in red. I've tried curing diseases at the temple in whiterun but it didn't fix it.

My active magic effects is also not showing any debuffs. What am I missing?!

I think this is just a display bug or something. The next time you skill it up it should return to normal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Epic thief/sneak build info below
Go to the Dark Brotherhood, get the armor AND robes. Robes set will give you 2x to backstab (total = 30x backstab damage with daggers) and +25% to sneak.

Noted, thanks. I'll work my way there eventually!

Zeliard

Well the thing is I don't want to have the Frost out, I want to be able to throw the Frost down in combat if I see a choke. Master class spells require both hands and have a stupid long wind-up (3-4 seconds or something) so it's pretty useless in that kind of situation.

True, I meant just for the novelty of it. :p

At the end of the day, going with the Dremora Bros means you'll probably be able to handle anything the game throws at you, even on Master. Summoning Thralls at that point outside of rare circumstances would just be to mix things up for chuckles.

jorma

is now taking requests
Conjuration is godlike.

My Conjuration is at like 95 now (it starts going up VERY quickly once you start summoning Daedra). Pretty soon I'll have the ability to summon two Dremora Lords, and I have a hard time imagining anything in the game that will be able to handle them. They're aggressive, resilient, and they hit like a truck.

So how can i find some better conjuration spells? I'm at 45 something and noone will sell me a conjuration better than the flame autronarch. I call on it every single battle but it does fuck all to level me up, despite having the wizard stone.

I just saw a video of the Dark Brotherhood's final main quest and I realized...
The Emperor's voiced by Wes Johnson. STOP, CRIMINAL SCUM!

Zeliard

So how can i find some better conjuration spells? I'm at 45 something and noone will sell me a conjuration better than the flame autronarch. I call on it every single battle but it does fuck all to level me up, despite having the wizard stone.

Unfortunately you can't buy better spells until you reach the proper skill level. So that'd be 50 for the Adept spells, 75 for expert and 90+ for Master.

Dresden

Casting Soul Trap on a corpse is the fastest way to level Conjuration.

jorma

is now taking requests
Unfortunately you can't buy better spells until you reach the proper skill level. So that'd be 50 for the Adept spells, 75 for expert and 90+ for Master.

okok, i have plenty of destruction and restoration spells despite similar rank though..

i'll just grind on for a while then

Casting Soul Trap on a corpse is the fastest way to level Conjuration.

edit cheers

Tr4nce

So I have it on PS3 and I've put about 50 hours into it. Yes there is a framerate issue that the other platforms don't have, but (at least from what I have experienced) it's not all that egregious. The times I've had issues of slowdown/dropped framerates are:

Loading into Whiterun (the main city) it will stutter every now and then. Not too bad.
If Im in a battle with multiple mages casting a load of spells. Maybe it's something to do with the particle effects.
If I've been playing for 4+ hours straight it will start to stutter intermittently. It stops if I turn off the console for about 10 minutes.

There are problems, but they don't impose upon my experience that much at all. It's only been so bad that I got annoyed once in the 50 hours I've put into it. If you really want to play the game, I'd say go get it. It's not as bad as the internet makes out.

Thanks man, appreciate it. (Y)

Lakitu

st5fu
Does the Jarl of Riften offer you anymore quests after you buy a house? I had to return to her after I bought one, but it's glitched and it won't let me finish the mini-quest. I have no conversation prompt.

Top Bottom