• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are some quests companions invincible or something? I have Valkas(?) as a companion since i accepted his quest for revenge on the Silver Hand base up there in snowy mountains. I did some other quests with him like the Potema one where you have to fight waves of undeads while she shoot lightning at you and the guy never died, despite being at like 5% health and on his knee quite often. Maybe its because im playing on an easier mode.

Also i can't stop playing this damn game. I play for 2 hours and it feels like i've only played 15 minutes!

Arjen

I married that girl in the store from redwood.
The awesome thing is: she started a store, and shares the money she makes with me.
Not only that, i can buy and sell things from her, right in my own house.
Fuck yeah.

Wallach

The awesome thing is: she started a store, and shares the money she makes with me.
Fuck yeah.

Yeah well keep an eye out for that elf, because he does not give up so easily.

webrunner

Quick question: Could someone please point me to how exactly I start the
Daedric
quest line.
Thank you.

There are sixteen of them.

One is automatically part of one of the guild quest lines

A few can be ended in such a way that you don't get the artifact.

Three give a choice of two artifacts

One gives a choice of an artifacts or a boon

Some are easier to find and tied to one of the main cities.

A few only appear if you visit their shrine.

A lot don't appear as deadric quests when you first do them. Innocuous things like
finding a lost dog
or
participating in a drinking contest
can lead to events of cosmic significance.

Are some quests companions invincible or something? I have Valkas(?) as a companion since i accepted his quest for revenge on the Silver Hand base up there in snowy mountains. I did some other quests with him like the Potema one where you have to fight waves of undeads while she shoot lightning at you and the guy never died, despite being at like 5% health and on his knee quite often. Maybe its because im playing on an easier mode.

Also i can't stop playing this damn game. I play for 2 hours and it feels like i've only played 15 minutes!

Followers can't die unless killed by you or ongoing damage.

Some characters cannot die as they're required for quests and there's no "everybody's dead!!" ending like in Fallout: New Vegas.

eek5

On a pretty random side note, has anyone noticed it being very difficult finding cloth gloves? I feel like I've never found a single pair except for some Thalmor gloves I got off a corpse near the start of the game. I seriously can't find any non-armor gloves for my mage to enchant!

Check out the apparel shop in Solitude. There are two vendors there and they usually have gloves as well as 0 weight shoes.

Guesong

AFAIK companions who are crucial to some story lines cannot die until they exhausted their role in the game.

Aesius

For those of you that have a shitload of hours put into the game -- did you end up having to bump the difficulty up to Master to keep things somewhat challenging?

I'm only level 35, and I had to turn it up to Expert about 10 levels ago. I'm seriously just wrecking everyone and everything with ease. I can't imagine how much easier it will get once I max out my combat skills/perks.

Naito

Fuck yeah.

I married Aela and turned out quite a versatile wife: she's a follower, while at home opens a store, shares the money, can train you in archery and gives you quests.

For those of you that have a shitload of hours put into the game -- did you end up having to bump the difficulty up to Master to keep things somewhat challenging?
Yup, used to one-shot dragons with a power attack, bandits couldn't even hurt me, etc. :/

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
AFAIK companions who are crucial to some story lines cannot die until they exhausted their role in the game.

I guess it makes sense since its a quest i got from him and he really wanted to come with me. I could keep him until the end just so i have a companion who cant die, but damn this guy is so weak, he takes a few hits and he is already on his knee, not to mention he has no ranged weapon. I want Lydia back.

erragal

On a pretty random side note, has anyone noticed it being very difficult finding cloth gloves? I feel like I've never found a single pair except for some Thalmor gloves I got off a corpse near the start of the game. I seriously can't find any non-armor gloves for my mage to enchant!

Extraordinarily rare. Even the clothing shop in Solitude only has like one or two pairs every time it spawns. They're by far the hardest items to find in the game; I'm not sure why no one wears gloves in Skyrim.

scy

I started on Master and have nowhere to turn it up to :( I haven't even made any truly ridiculous equipment on this character!

Aiming for the next character to be purely random loot or quest reward driven on his equipment. Should make things far more interesting!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you want to level up normally, you have to. On lesser difficulties you kill things too fast and end up not using your abilities enough to level your shit before you're finding yourself through most of the game.

I'm only level 35, and I had to turn it up to Expert about 10 levels ago. I'm seriously just wrecking everyone and everything with ease. I can't imagine how much easier it will get once I max out my combat skills/perks.
See above about maxing stuff out. Still, you'll run into the occasional bandit leader or arch mage that makes you question if you're really dragonborn or not. Also don't wait too long to do your honor proving mission of the companions or you'll be stuck fighting 30 dragur deathlords.

Arjen

I'm playing on normal, but i'm going to bump it up a notch. I'm oneshotting everything right now as an archer.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Extraordinarily rare. Even the clothing shop in Solitude only has like one or two pairs every time it spawns. They're by far the hardest items to find in the game; I'm not sure why no one wears gloves in Skyrim.

I've come across several pairs of "gloves".

There's few pairs in the fort just west of Whiterun.

I know, right? Once the awesome PC mods start coming out I know I'm going to be super jealous...

That is why I keep this saved:

How to convert your 360 saves to PC saves.

That way when the GOTY edition comes out I'll be able to transfer all my stuff over to it. Or if a good enough mod comes out I'll just buy it hopefully on a Steam sale.

Ha, no. But I assume it's because I'm "pure" destruction almost with Illusion. I get wrecked when 2 or 3 people are in a cave and I run out of mana and potions. I'm probably going to just start wearing heavy armor and get that up by letting something attack me for a bit out in the wild.

erragal

CHEEZMO™;32907703 said:
I've come across several pairs of "gloves".

There's few pairs in the fort just west of Whiterun.

Well most container contents are random, and it's not like I can't find -ANY- gloves. Having looked in every wardrobe/chest/dresser/end table in 4 of the major cities and about 40 dungeons I can safely say gloves are the one clothing item that has an extremely rare spawn rate. It's specific to the cloth ones; armor/gauntlets tend to be just as common as anything else.

Naito

Damn, looks like I can't buy a house in Windhelm... with all probability, is the glitch caused by DB quest with Blood on the Ice. Back to Proudspire Manor I suppose.

Wait, do I have to complete Imperial or Stormcloak quest line first?

Enco

No, there is a mod for the PC version that lets you though.

Awesome. Will look it up when I get home.

For the Windhelm house, people say the early DB quest can break getting it thanks to killing someone that's part of a quest. Is that quest Blood on Ice? If so, do you just have to complete it? I saved a woman who was about to die and I can't remember if she was the important person.

Hugs

Damn, looks like I can't buy a house in Windhelm... with all probability, is the glitch caused by DB quest with Blood on the Ice. Back to Proudspire Manor I suppose.

Wait, do I have to complete Imperial or Stormcloak quest line first?

Yeah I think so. It only triggered for me (spoilers about the Stormcloak questline)
after the invasion of Whiterun

garath

Question about an early Dark Brotherhood quest:

Woman tells me to kill a dude, and then she offers me another optional quest to kill a woman. I find the optional woman first. Follow her around town, wait until the middle of the night and break into her house. She's sleeping. As soon as I approach her bed, even when I'm sneaking, she wakes up and suddenly a guard is in the house and I'm screwed. I could not figure out how to kill her; no matter what I did, the guard appeared immediately when I killed her. And there's another woman upstairs in the house who comes down immediately as well. How was I supposed to kill that optional lady?

I simply walked up to her while she was outside, waited until there weren't many guards around and whacked her. /shrug

Be glad you didn't manage to kill her, if you do it breaks the quest in Windhelm to get the house.

Whoops. Looks like I'm not buying the Windhelm house then. That stinks. Might have to break into the console to bring her back to life.

Naito

Well most container contents are random, and it's not like I can't find -ANY- gloves. Having looked in every wardrobe/chest/dresser/end table in 4 of the major cities and about 40 dungeons I can safely say gloves are the one clothing item that has an extremely rare spawn rate. It's specific to the cloth ones; armor/gauntlets tend to be just as common as anything else.

Try Radiant Raiment in Solitude, they do have unenchanted/normal gloves there.

Yeah I think so. It only triggered for me (spoilers about the Stormcloak questline)
after the invasion of Whiterun
Ok thanks, going to join the Legion then (not excited about the idea but my char is a Dunmer).

vareon

Fuck you, random bandit.

I was on my way to Riften from Whiterun. I fought Dragons and Cave Bears and Witches and shit and won. Then there's this guy with his obvious "I was attacked! Follow me! Teehee no I'm the bandit" scheme attacked me. Turns out he and his friends were pretty strong, and I have to fight him on the edge of a waterfall. After the battle was won, I slipped into the waterfall and gloriously fell to my death.

Good thing I'm an F5 maniac. Fuck you, random bandit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I haven't seen a single pair of gloves in the game, and I've been playing for 40+ hours.

Rengoku

I actually had Valkas die during a giant & mammoth encounter on our way back from one of the companion quests. It was pretty hilarious having a stiff dead body follow me around and even attacking a wolf. Once we zoned into Whiterun though, he was back to normal.

Sarcasm

Quadratus is level 11 now. Haven't started the main quest just yet, so no dragon encounters to speak of, just doing a few more odds and ends.

Melee is interesting. It's definitely not as bad as Oblivion was, as I really didn't care for melee in that game at all. Maybe it's because I'm focusing more on Block than I am One-Handed, but I'm enjoying being able to stand up in melee and take some hits, then zip out of the way in slow motion and stagger them from the side. It was quite a pleasant surprise when I got jumped by a Saber Cat at level 10 and blocked the first hit for like 10% damage (rather than the instant obliteration that my mage experienced). I definitely understand though the annoyance of enemy mages at this point, since I can't get my hands on any decent magic resistance yet. Should get better as soon as I can get to 50 Block though and get the Elemental Protection perk, as well as get my hands on the Atronach sign.

I'm not really sure what to do about ranged, if I should even bother dumping perks into Archery or Destruction, or maybe just use standard Archery with some staff support to handle it. I feel like if I do it right I should get to a point where I won't really need ranged support at all, so I'm kind of apprehensive about wasting perks towards that duty.

Pondering going back to my mage and finishing that character up before continuing. I still like being a Breton more than an Imperial, free magic resistance is pretty awesome.

You get perk points past level 50. I believe you can get good perks in 4 trees too.

I am 1h & block dude that has put points into sneak, archery, block, armor and 1h. In Archery I got up to the slow when zoomed and stagger 50% of the time most enemies. Nice to pelt at a distance especially when staggering.

How is the quick reflexes for blocking where it slows time when you block during an enemy power attack? I am really hesitant to take it..can you explain more the usefulness?

Wallach

How is the quick reflexes for blocking where it slows time when you block during an enemy power attack? I am really hesitant to take it..can you explain more the usefulness?

Quick Reflexes is pretty simple - if any enemy attacking you initiates a power attack while you have your shield raised, time dilation activates for about two seconds. You can do whatever you want during this period, whether to just use the window to interrupt the power attack with a shield bash or to lower the shield and circle around to their back and make the attack miss, giving you a free strike opportunity.

Lombax

Banned

quick reflexes is one of my favorite perks so far. When a enemy comes at you with a strong attack time will slow down for a moment giving you an opportunity to shield bash them or hit them with a power attack.

Hugs

Heavy armor users - is it worth getting the Perk that makes armor weigh nothing and not slow you down? Because the two perks before it look like trash...

AEREC

Anyone else playing as a Light Armor Warrior?

Im putting points into !h, 2h, Blocking just so I can switch it up if I get the urge. Im level 27 so far and have been splitting my levels pretty evenly between health and stamina (not touching magicka)...but Im finding that stamina gets drained quickly in combat...is there a good number to get stamina to...and then just stop adding points and focus on health?

Ive recently bumped it up to Expert so the game still has some challenge every once in a while.

krioto

Does the spell - Stoneflesh - still work if you are wearing any armour?

My character is a battle-mage - wearing heavy-armour braces/boots, but I still cast stoneflesh as well - is there any point?

thanks

Trasher

This exact thing happened to me, try this.

After Nocturnal bugs out, wait for 1 hour. This should mark at least one of the quest items as complete. If Karliah doesn't start talking, wait an hour again. She should start talking after this, if she doesn't do it one more time.

After the quest marks off, try to leave through one of the purple walls. If you can't, reload and try again.

This worked for me after about 3 tries.

Ah. Thanks for this. I'll have to try it sometime today.

Speaking of this whole quest chain...did anyone else here avoid this last part for a while and just use their skeleton key to help power level their lockpicking? I was thinking that maybe I should go back to the Ragged Flagon and start opening all of those practice chests in that one room. Or does that not work?

I've got a couple of shouts but no dragon souls at the moment. I've killed several dragons already, but they've all been found perched on a Shout Wall. I don't think I've had a single random encounter so far, and I could use some souls.

For reference, I'm level 22, completed the quest to climb the 7000 Steps and train with the Greybeards, but haven't gone beyond that yet in the main quest. I know others have complained about dragon attacks occurring too frequently, but at the moment, I could use a few more of 'em just to power things up!

This flame shout is a godsend, I'm actually considering increasing the difficulty because I've just been wrecking every dungeon now, I think I might save it for another playthrough as a completely different character though.

Wallach

Does the spell - Stoneflesh - still work if you are wearing any armour?

My character is a battle-mage - wearing heavy-armour braces/boots, but I still cast stoneflesh as well - is there any point?

thanks

Yes, it should work fine, although there is an overall limit to armor's effectiveness. You can only block up to 80% of melee damage through armor. At some point you are likely to reach that limit through just workbenched heavy armor, at which point casting it would be a waste.

AEREC

I started on Adept (default) then at level 25 (along the with the steam achievement expert) I bumped the it up to expert. The games difficulty is all over the place but I still run into enemies every no and then that will just wreck me if Im not careful.

Though Im still using stuff that I got from the begining of the game and have never upgraded my skyforge steel weapons (I go for looks over functionality as end game armor always looks silly and ridiculous).

I also havent even touched Enchanting or smithing yet which supposedly makes the game easier.

Ill probably bump it up to Master when I hit level 50.

Hammerfell by itself drove out the Aldmeri, there's nothing preordained about a Dominion victory.

Hammerfell was united. Skyrim is not, and never will. It's also common knowledge that the Dominion was severely weakened after being routed by the Empire. But they stil "won". Why? Because everyone recognizes their potential to dominate the entire continent. A united Empire is the only way to stop that. Individual provinces could never hope to stand against them in the long-term.

Anyone here know what the base damage for unarmed is in this game?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Even though you can upgrade stuff to legendary, I wish there was a top-tier Nord equipment. The coolest weapons and armor in the game for a warrior are the Nordic steel line, but they're only level 2. They have skyforge steel and Nord hero weapons, so why not armor?

krioto

Yes, it should work fine, although there is an overall limit to armor's effectiveness. You can only block up to 80% of melee damage through armor. At some point you are likely to reach that limit through just workbenched heavy armor, at which point casting it would be a waste.

Cool - thanks. So doesn't seem much point going for the Ironflesh spell.

Double D

I've got a couple of shouts but no dragon souls at the moment. I've killed several dragons already, but they've all been found perched on a Shout Wall. I don't think I've had a single random encounter so far, and I could use some souls.

For reference, I'm level 22, completed the quest to climb the 7000 Steps and train with the Greybeards, but haven't gone beyond that yet in the main quest. I know others have complained about dragon attacks occurring too frequently, but at the moment, I could use a few more of 'em just to power things up!

Are you sidequesting like crazy or what? I'm on hold with the main quest at the same point as you, but I've done half of the mages guild questline, and am almost done with the Companions questline. Also done a few random quests here and there. I'm level 12!

Re: Dragons. I've actually seen like 3 of them in the wild, circling around me. I get into position and prepare for the battle. Then I look up and see him just flying off into the distance. So, I've never actually fought in a random dragon encounter, but have seen them.

Unless that one when you enter
Winterhold
is considered random, but it seemed like that was scripted.

ckohler

Does Mage Armor like Stoneflesh and Ironflesh help against magical attacks?

Top Bottom