• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

You need to give more information before we can answer. None of the Main questline dragons can be fought until you get to their quest. He probably stumbled into a Dragon's Lair.

He mentioned that the dragon
had a name that started with a V and it was was trying to revive something when he killed it

I'm trying to avoid most of the storyline quests
I haven't even went up on the mountain to learn more about shouts after recieving my first one

I can absolutely wreck a dragon if it lands near me, but if it stays in the air I'm screwed

Same here. I'm fully decked out in Heavy Armor, got Spell Breaker and a sword that can cleave through a goddamn mountain.

Those Ancient Dragons weren't really tough, but they could do a lot of damage.

Log4Girlz

I probably found most of 'em already, then. There's at least one Word Wall just outside in the wildernis too, without a map marker. I think it's near Solitude.

Killed my first couple of Ancient Dragons today. One attacked me a bit out of Ivarstead, near a sawmill. Damn thing depleted my health like it was nothing: thank god I could keep Spell Breaker between me and its Shousts for the most part. The sole guard stationed at the sawmill aided me, but got unceremoniously chewed up by the dragon right before I charged in head-first and carved the dragon to pieces.

The second one attacked near Kynesgrove, which seems to be a real Dragon hotspot. I fought maybe four of them near there already. I arrived at night, and before I could get my bearings I heard a guard exclaim "By the gods, it's a dragon!"

I destroy dragons! Heh, mages college is a damn magnet, i've killed 8 there.

I find an item that improves smithing by 15%. Disenchant and the enchantment now only gives 8%. Enchant an item and now it only gives 1%. What a waste.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I find an item that improves smithing by 15%. Disenchant and the enchantment now only gives 8%. Enchant an item and now it only gives 1%. What a waste.

8% is just the base. You can improve that with perks and other effects via potions or enchanted items. Also, you need to use a Grand Soul Gem, I think, to get the best effect.

Zeliard

You have to use a grand or black soul gem to get the most out of it. Also getting Enchant perks that improve the effectiveness and/or drinking Fortify Enchant pots helps.

NBtoaster

I seem to be having a much tougher time than everyone else at level 30. I guess battlemage isn't that great in this game. Suppose its better to go full mage a and wreck shit with summons and destruction or a warrior and easily defend with a shield. Or play sneaky and get the jump on everyone.

I seem to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

FStop7

Banned
I had a dragon attack Riverwood while I was passing through. It landed in the middle of the town. During the fight it killed Sigrid, the wife of the blacksmith who was one of the very first characters I met in the game (she's the one who always says 'I'm spoken for so don't get any ideas!') I was legitimately bummed that she died because she was a character I "knew" from the very beginning. I carried her body into the river behind her home and let the current carry her away, hopefully off to Sovngarde.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Kinda blows my mind hearing so many people kill dragons and not get a soul from it ... i've got maybe 11 souls waiting to be used and like 10 shouts all bought and paid for. I've killed multiple dragons just west of Whiterun and always got a soul ...

The only time i didn't get a soul from a dragon was when I stumbled upon a group of soldiers fighting a vanilla dragon. By the time i got in there with my fire they had it down to a sliver of health. Not sure if I even got a shot off before it was dead and it wouldn't burn. I just figured it was because i hadn't killed it and moved on because fuck what do i need ANOTHER soul for.

As a quick question ... the only 2 shouts i have at more than the first word are the fire breath and the unrelenting force. Do i just need to dungeon crawl like a madman to find the other words? Are they all specific dungeons or are the dragon walls random? Also... if someone could recommend an armor set to enchant for a HARDCORE mage (not a single point spent to anything but magic.. not a single perk spent on anything but enchanting, destruction and conjuring .... and 3 into restoration for that magicka boost) ... I tried to enchant some Elvan boots with magicka+ or destruction magick cost reduction ... and it won't let me. Do any armored boots let you do regen and magicka cost stuff?

erragal

I seem to be having a much tougher time than everyone else at level 30. I guess battlemage isn't that great in this game. Suppose its better to go full mage a and wreck shit with summons and destruction or a warrior and easily defend with a shield. Or play sneaky and get the jump on everyone.

I seem to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I had a lot of success as mage with a shield. Shield bash is really nice and can be decent damage with perks. I used destruction and alteration. Fire and lightning felt like the best, stam drain doesn't seem to help and the slowing effect is very mild on ice. Alteration won't get you quite to the armor cap but for most of the game you'll be fairly sturdy (With a shield you're basically on par with heavy armor no shield till high level smithing kicks in). Getting paralyze makes everything but dragons (Which are really easy as shield/destruction btw) and robots simple. If you want a sickeningly powerful control spell it's awesome. To boost your damage you're really going to need alchemy; fortify destruction potions can save your ass. I only put 2 perks in smithing so I could upgrade my artifact shield, but you can probably get away with none and just use smithing gear/potions to upgrade your one armored piece. I never took dual casting either because of how useful a shield is; you could put it in for destruction for better ranged damage.

If you wanted to do weapon/spell I'd suggest maces because the armor penetration perks are really powerful. I'd probably go one handed/illusion/light armor/destruction (assuming you wanted attack spells) personally . Left hand swapping between illusion controls and walls of flame/shock could be really potent and you'd have range as well. Enchanting is even more important so you can make up for not wearing robes and alchemy is great for illusion and destruction effectiveness. You could go alteration instead but it's a lot more perks to get decent armor levels. LA route for smithing is faster but you lose out on self made daedric weapons.

Ha ha. Oh Marcurio you moron, attacking the giant when your supposed to be focusing on the Dragon, I laughed my ass of seeing him catapulted in the air.

I had a dragon attack Riverwood while I was passing through. It landed in the middle of the town. During the fight it killed Sigrid, the wife of the blacksmith who was one of the very first characters I met in the game (she's the one who always says 'I'm spoken for so don't get any ideas!') I was legitimately bummed that she died because she was a character I "knew" from the very beginning. I carried her body into the river behind her home and let the current carry her away, hopefully off to Sovngarde.

KenMarinoHitler.gif

gblues

Banned
Anyone else have trouble getting dragons to actually engage in combat? Every time I see one it seems to just circle around and roar, no matter how much I shout or shoot arrows in its direction. I'm only level 16 so maybe they're just doing me a favor, but I need some dragon souls to upgrade my shouts goddamnit :(

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
What about range?

Farthest of all the spells for sure. Easily makes it from say the ground to well above the top of the tower out in front of Whiterun. After a while you dial the range in and it's second nature. As long as they are circling someone within maybe.. 50 feet of me.. i can usually hit them in the air with chain lightning.

FStop7

Banned
Anyone else have trouble getting dragons to actually engage in combat? Every time I see one it seems to just circle around and roar, no matter how much I shout or shoot arrows in its direction. I'm only level 16 so maybe they're just doing me a favor, but I need some dragon souls to upgrade my shouts goddamnit :(

Yep, the best thing to do is to look for accessible high ground and send a couple of arrows toward it to get its attention. But sometimes that doesn't work, either.

eek5

Once you finish the main Mage College questline,
and are given the key to the Arch Mage Quarters, is this treated as a house? Can you leave stuff in there without having to worry about it disappearing after 72 hours
?

The stuff in that room periodically respawns so I would lean towards no it might not be safe.

Realyn

So ... just another day at the office.

Was doing some quest and it ended with a buch of people who turned out to be cannibales. I was allowed to join the feast. This hot chick even offered to be my companion!
As a badass werewolf Drunmer it would have been unpolite to refuse.

So ... it was time for a new BEST BUDDY FOREVER and another meal.

Hope "Dog" didnt get traumatized.

I had one dragon not give me a soul earlier today. I felt ripped off. Other than that though I can't echo any of the overwhelming dragon apocalypse statements. I fight, on average, one dragon every 3 hours. I have never banked souls. I can't even comprehend the "dragons = cliffracers" mentioned a few pages back. My playthrough thus far has been pretty awesome. Other than a goat falling out of the sky at one point...

Kwixotik

I'm conflicted. Play through the game normally by enforcing a limit upon myself or create fuckawesome gear and destroy things? I've already started dumping perks into crafting...

Dresden

I'm conflicted. Play through the game normally by enforcing a limit upon myself or create fuckawesome gear and destroy things? I've already started dumping perks into crafting...

It's not too bad if you play on Master and just focus on one crafting profession. Shit starts getting crazy once you get two or all three into play but just doing enchant or smithing? Not that bad.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Adventures in sniping!

AQOTv.jpg

Perfect shot, right through the heart.

MMwf3.jpg

Ah, I've got a terrible migraine!

YnoLI.jpg

Shot this snow bear in the ass. It died. It did nothing else.

Arol

Any way to farm arrows? Really wish you could craft them.

I know the perk exists for double arrow drops but I'm not close to getting it yet. Not much of an archer when I'm running low on ammo.

AngryMoth

Anyone ever seen a dragon pick someone up, like with the giant in the demo footage? Never seen it happen and am wondering if its still in there.

MrBig

Anyone ever seen a dragon pick someone up, like with the giant in the demo footage? Never seen it happen and am wondering if its still in there.

I've been picked up twice when I was first fighting them. I'm thinking it can only occur when the person has minimal hp remaining.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
CHEEZMO™;32921573 said:
I was wondering this earlier, actually.

Not seen a dragon grab someone with its mouth yet either.

In my friends game his first encounter with a random dragon started by a giant almost crushing him falling from a dragons claws... who proceeded to get and was so pissed he just started attacking everyone around him. Was pretty cool...

And i've been eaten by an elder dragon. that ass...

scy

Any way to farm arrows? Really wish you could craft them.

I know the perk exists for double arrow drops but I'm not close to getting it yet. Not much of an archer when I'm running low on ammo.

If you don't mind Pickpocketing, Guards everywhere carry Steel Arrows. Besides that, I just check vendors all the time and buy their stocks out for all their arrows everytime. Gold is no object eventually so it's not a huge loss. Plus, it lets me sell more stuff back to them :/

Not sure of the demo footage but Dragons definitely still have an instant-kill finisher that is them biting someone and thrashing them about for a bit.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Saw one grab a guard during the main story line, think it was scripted.

V-Gief

CHEEZMO™;32921573 said:
I was wondering this earlier, actually.

Not seen a dragon grab someone with its mouth yet either.
Seen the mouthgrab done on a npc and I have been a victim of the grabbing and dropping out of the sky myself :/ That was a horrible day. On the topic of dragons grabbing and dropping things from the sky. Last night I got a random dragon spawn, I however didn't see the dragon at first, but the music played so I knew it was about. Then all of a sudden, a horse drops from the skies followed by the bellowing roar of the dragon. The damn asshat of a lizard tried to bomb me with a horse. No idea who's horse it was though.

Top Bottom