• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Zeliard

The dragons are vastly more enjoyable to fight than Cliff Racers, and they aren't visual disasters.

At level 35 I'm also not getting them all that frequently, and most of the time I spot them in the distance and go fight them purposefully. Never would have dreamed of doing that with Cliff Racers.

Guys, a question. I've been reading the Fourth Era timeline on the UESP, and in relation to the Mages Guild, they mention:

4E 201 — The Dovahkiin saves the College of Winterhold as well as the city of Winterhold
In a Thalmor plot to seize power from an ancient artifact known as the Eye of Magnus, which was discovered during an expedition to the ancient ruins of Saarthal. The Psijic Order were also involved aiding the Dovahkiin in stopping the Thalmor and safely securing the Eye.

Is this just worded weirdly, or does the College questline often refer to
you being the Dragonborn
?

No, I don't think it ever did.

Got sidetracked (as usual) to a cave northwest, it was going pretty easy until I found Otar The Mad out of nowhere. These fights are awesome, hard too. I found two of these guys and I still have no idea who they are or why I'm killing them, but the fights are challenging fun, and I get a word out of it.

Gorgon

OK, I'm gonna have my PS3 fixed tomorrow and it will be ready friday the latest. Pfew, I was scared I would be unable to play the game for a long time after the BD drive died on me yesterday after exiting from Skyrim, lol.

Anyway, I'm 50 hours into this game and I've just finnished the "first city" (forgot the name) quests ( minus the Companions, which I didn't join yet), plus the first town you get into when you start the game and the College of Winterhold. And I only retreaved the Horn-of-whatever to the Greybeards and didn't adavnce that storyline more yet.

50 fucking hours and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer. At this pace it will take me 300 hours to finnish the game, lol.

Soo good, and I didn't even like the other ES games, notrdo I care for it's Lore. But the Norse setting is just too good and it really feels like Bethesda is in the right path. And the dungeons are improved a ton. They're actually interesting this time for the most part.

I'm having a blast. I just hope Skyrim doesn't kill my next BD drive, lol.

Yeah there's definitely not. Wolves can be a nuisance but I can turn around and 1 shot them even at level 11.

Now bears, those things are motherfuckers.

They're thougher than dragons. It takes me something like 8 fireballs to kill a fucking bear. I kill a normal dragon with like 5 or so.

GeoramA

Not enjoying the Thieves Guild missions at all. Pretty tedious, actually.

After the Companion missions, maybe I'm just getting burnt out. The shit framerate isn't helping either.

Mothman91

So what town has the best looking house/cleanest? I was talking with a friend and we were joking about the house in Whiterun. Even after adding all the additions, it still has cobwebs...lol. Plus I need one with stores around like in Whiterun (Blacksmith right next door was a perk so I can sell stuff/make new armor/weapons). Anyone have opinions?

Forkball

How can I get the house in Riften? The Jarl won't give me any quests and the ones her assistant gives me just seem like random radiant quests.

Dragons aren't on the level of cliff racers, but they are annoying enemies that spawn too frequently. Randomly spawning dragons that prevent me from fast traveling are a pain. It would be different if they were interesting to fight, but their AI is so poor that they are barely capable of damaging people using ranged attacks.

Zeliard

Yeah there's definitely not. Wolves can be a nuisance but I can turn around and 1 shot them even at level 11.

Now bears, those things are motherfuckers.

I don't find any enemy to be much of a nuisance, but I'm playing as a mage who uses summons as distractions and other types of crowd control, so most of the time enemies aren't targeting me.

To my glass cannon mage on Master, everything hits hard as hell. I've been one-shot to shit a number of times. :p

pringles

How can I get the house in Riften? The Jarl won't give me any quests and the ones her assistant gives me just seem like random radiant quests.
I talked to some lizardwoman in Helga's bunkhouse and she told me something about skooma. One thing led to another and let's just say now I need to gather up 8000gold for the house in Riften.

Zeliard

Dragons aren't on the level of cliff racers, but they are annoying enemies that spawn too frequently. Randomly spawning dragons that prevent me from fast traveling are a pain. It would be different if they were interesting to fight, but their AI is so poor that they are barely capable of damaging people using ranged attacks.

I think their spawning rate must be tied to character level. I started noticing more of them after I hit level 30, and I assume they must spawn at a higher frequency as you hit higher levels. I'm definitely not getting as many right now as people seem to but I figure that will change.

Either way, I never really find dragons a burden to fight, and they're usually pretty fun if not incredibly challenging. If nothing else fights against them are often visually splendid, especially fighting them in towns or in open fields with other NPCs joining in.

Question about smithing, if I decided to go on the right side of the perk tree up to Dragon armor, is there anyway for me to go back and do the left side to get elven and glass armor? I heard the best craft weapons come from the Daedric armor perk and want to get that but I mainly use light armor for my battlemage

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Question about smithing, if I decided to go on the right side of the perk tree up to Dragon armor, is there anyway for me to go back and do the left side to get elven and glass armor? I heard the best craft weapons come from the Daedric armor perk and want to get that but I mainly use light armor for my battlemage

The perk tree stops at Dragon Armor. So you either go Left or Right. It's basically making the gamer choose a heavy armor path or light armor.

Gorgon

By the way, my charracter's head disapeared. I'm the Invisible Head Man now. Looks kind of fun with the mage's hood on.

You got to love the bugs in Bethesda's games.

Ghost23

Which side of the smithing perk tree is light armor? And how do I level up Conjuration faster? I'm only like level 25, but it goes up like once every hour or 2.

is there a list anywhere showing how much gold vendors have on hand? i can make dozens of really EXPENSIVE potions but i'm not up to running a 2-3 city circuit just to unload them all.

Davedough

360 version here. I'd been running just perfectly for my 25 hours so far and last night while doing a Companion mission where
I had to take out the Silver Hand Leader
in his little keep, mid-fight with swords and spells slinging, my copy started to studder pretty heavily. It would go normal for about a second, then slow to a crawl for about a second, then return to normal, then back to a crawl.... really hope my copy isn't going to shit.

Which side of the smithing perk tree is light armor? And how do I level up Conjuration faster? I'm only like level 25, but it goes up like once every hour or 2.
legitimately? just constantly use a summon.
illegitimately? repeatedly cast soul trap on a human corpse. there's a bug that counts it as a successful cast/xp gain.

Look into the Thieves Guild :>
is that really my only option? i wanted to stay away from thieves and DB on my mage character.

BlueTsunami

Left side (Glass Armor comes before Dragon Armor) and you can level Conjuration up quickly by casting Soul Trap on dead enemies. Magicka may be an issue so enchanting jewelry that economize MP for Conjuration is recommended. But as others have stated, just using the abilities in battle will raise it quickly and naturally but I can see why Conjuration is slow to level when not trying to game the system.

Speaking of dragons, I had a nice encounter just few minutes ago.

I finally found a farm near Winterhold to sneak in and feed on someone. As I got out, I saw this damn blood dragon. We fought for a while and our HPs were both pretty low (I wasn't paying enough attention) and so I got some distance between us and waited for my magicka to regenerate, so I could give him the death blow. But then I saw the dragon attacking someone else. "Ah, a Winterhold guard got into this. Teeehee, R.I.P., asshole.", I thought. But then the dragon died instead and I was really surprised. I looked around, didn't see anyone and then, out of nowhere, a damn snow sabre car attacked me from the side and killed me.

This game. This fucking game.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not sure I get how soul trap works.

Cast soul trap on an enemy and kill it (or use weapon with soul trap enchant) while the effect is still active. You need to have a black soul gem for NPC souls, otherwise any other soul gem is fine, though it needs to be the correct size (wolves have petty souls for example and thus you need at least petty soul gem to hold that soul). The system uses smallest possible gem, keep good stock of every type, you don't want lesser gems with petty souls etc.
Black soul gems can hold non-NPC souls so be careful.

BlueTsunami

Cast soul trap on enemy will give you a certain amount of time where you need to kill said enemy. If done within this time span the soul will be captured and placed into the smallest gem it can fit. A killing blow with a weapon inflicting Soul trap (even for 1 second) will also capture the soul.

step 1. make sure you have at least one empty soul gem in your inventory. empty gems will say "[level] soul gem", filled gems will say "[level]soul gem (level of soul stored)"
step 2. cast soul trap on enemy
step 3. kill enemy within 60 seconds of casting soul trap
step 4. soul will be stored in the smallest available soul gem.

Zeliard

is that really my only option? i wanted to stay away from thieves and DB on my mage character.

If you want access to vendors who will buy your stolen stuff (without a perk) and also several vendors who have 4k gold on hand, going through the Thieves Guild quest line is your best bet. Gold cap on vendors is there to make you work for it, after all.

I think a couple other vendors have 2k or so on them; you could look into that instead.

Zeliard

then they shouldn't have made it so easy to craft 15 potions of damage magicka regen and then sell them for 147 a pop. :p

Oh you can potentially make a lot more money just selling certain enchanted stuff. But the vendor gold limit is meant to keep you from just going to one and unloading everything with ease. Unless you just continuously wait for 48 hours, which probably isn't too convenient.

As pretty much everything else in the game, and as typical of Elder Scrolls, stuff can be abused if that's all you're interested in. Some people just say fuck it and give themselves gold through the console. To each their own, I guess. :>

Drazgul

Heh, nice - haven't really gotten around to getting the best +% sell price gear etc., since I have trouble pawning the junk that seems to accumulate as is. House containers busting at the seams from all the ebony junk.

So I finally have my smithing skill at 100. I'm a mage character, though. I'm thinking about constructing some dragon armor. Not sure If I'm going to do the light or heavy armor.

But I want to think about enchanting this armor.. Ideally I'd like to get an enchantment that will grant me additional magicka. I remember in Oblivion I did this with Sigil Stones giving me +50 magicka for each piece I added it to.

So are there items out there I can disenchant to maximize my characters total magicka? I haven't done much enchanting, but I do plan to raise my values up really high before I enchant my dragon armor. I've got tons of perks to spend.

Any other tips?

This may have been asked before, but I'm really curious: what's the deal with that little grunting dog (which looks slightly like a fox) that seems to be following me since I've left Whiterun after killing the first Dragon? Is it supposed to be some sort of "Super Guide", intended to point players who stumble around too much into the proper direction or something? Either way, it's both kind of cute and hilarious.

Either way, I'm really liking this now, the game really "clicked" with me once I entered the first story dungeon which I really loved the design of. Before that, I was conviced I preferred the less rocky and easier to navigate landscapes of Oblivion but I think I've changed my mind. Plus, the more you progress to the Northern part of Skyrim, the more beautiful the game seems to become.

Drazgul

There are +magicka as well as +magicka regen enchants, yes. As a mage you probably want to do the enchant that lowers the mana costs of a single school as well as increases mana regen as a combined effect. These you can get from caster robes which you should have no problem finding.

This may have been asked before, but I'm really curious: what's the deal with that little grunting dog (which looks slightly like a fox) that seems to be following me since I've left Whiterun after killing the first Dragon? Is it supposed to be some sort of "Super Guide", intended to point players who stumble around too much into the proper direction or something? Either way, it's both kind of cute and hilarious.

Either way, I'm really liking this now, the game really "clicked" with me once I entered the first story dungeon which I really loved the design of. Before that, I was conviced I preferred the less rocky and easier to navigate landscapes of Oblivion but I think I've changed my mind. Plus, the more you progress to the Northern part of Skyrim, the more beautiful the game seems to become.

This is the first I've heard of something like that.

Top Bottom