• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I said to myself: "This game needs war dogs.......... and mythical mounts."

Lo' and behold, the option to purchase a war dog arose not but 3 minutes later.

Grisby

This may have been asked before, but I'm really curious: what's the deal with that little grunting dog (which looks slightly like a fox) that seems to be following me since I've left Whiterun after killing the first Dragon? Is it supposed to be some sort of "Super Guide", intended to point players who stumble around too much into the proper direction or something? Either way, it's both kind of cute and hilarious.

What?

Zeliard

Barbas is the only dog worth having following you. :p

Having said that, it's not worth having a dog following you in this game unless you want its nose digging into your ass 98% of the time.

ajf009

Some small spoilers of the Pieces of the Past quest, I finished it a while ago and had nearly forgotten that I got
Mehrunes Razor
from it, I realized I had it and decided to test it out while
sneaking around some fort I came across, never had used daggers before, man slitting necks is so much fun!
cleared the fort without them even knowing I was there

MrBig

Skyrim still triple the next most active game on steam.
#7 on XBL charts the week before release, still no report since then.
damn

Every time I think "wandering around doesn't get any better", it does get better. I was Walking down a street, on my way to some low life cat, to deliver some amulet and on my way there, I met the two Alik'r warriors from Whiterun and they were harassing another red guard woman. I was about to kill them, when one of them noticed that she's the wrong person.
She doesn't have the scar
, he said, which was a really valuable information for me, because I didn't know anything about her.

What a wonderful game this is.

hey, has anyone else ran into this bug for the Dark Brotherhood questline? it's
during the mission 'Whispers In The Dark' where you have to hide inside the Night Mothers coffin and eavesdrop on that jester dude. the thing is when i enter the coffin nothing happens, I can still 'wait' or enter the pause menu but I can't do anything else.
has this happened to anyone else? were you able to get around it? I'll be super bummed if I just have to ignore this questline because it's what I was most looking forward to.

Kosh

Once you finish the main Mage College questline,
and are given the key to the Arch Mage Quarters, is this treated as a house? Can you leave stuff in there without having to worry about it disappearing after 72 hours
?

Dreaver

Decided to ditch Lydia and leave her at home. From now one I will purely solo and walk everything (I will buy a horse however, I think). Makes the game way more fun in my opinion, as I play a stealth archer.

Found my first piece of Ebony (chest) today in a random chest (I am level 18) pretty cool.

Lydia: Not as smart as a lizard

Companions are funny in general. It seems like I'm so often in a quest where I'm supposed to be the only there, and everyone is just pretending my lesbian warrior interracial-bride Mjoll is invisible. I'm not big into the roleplaying thing so it's really more one of Skyrim's amusing eccentricities, but those companions are definitely tacked on. Also sometimes Mjoll will ask me what I make of her loving a good fight while we're trying to be sneaky. At least use your fucking inside voice Mjoll.

EDIT: Playing on Expert, I find it really difficult to get by without a companion. I might consider leaving at her home after gaining some more levels.

I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend:

He killed a storyline dragon when he wasn't supposed to (very early). Is this going to mess his game up and ruin the storyline? Will respawn?

I don't want to say much more about it as I might spoil something that isn't obvious.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lydia has to be the most useless companion ever

All the other ones I've had we're quite decent and didn't shy away from a fight

Usually in a cave I'm like "oh, shit! You ready Lydia? ... Lydia...?" while she's nowhere to be found

And if I have to hear "I'm sworn to carry your burdens" one more time, I'll end her

How do you marry someone?

Visit the bar in Riften and speak to the proselytizing priest. (edit: The priest will give you an amulet if you don't have one.)

I took Ysolda as wife not remembering that she runs her own business on the side. She tosses me 100 septims a day to keep my eyes from wandering.

Lydia's taken up residence in our house too, so it's a bit like 3's Company w/out Mr. Furley.

Woorloog

Banned
You need to wear an amulet of Mara, then talk to people to see if they can marry you.
I think you can buy one in Riften, from one of Mara's priests.

Not enough. You need to talk to a priest from Riften first, about marriage. And then you can propose to someone by wearing the amulet and talking to the person. And then you go to Riften for the wedding.
No divorce, no remarrying in case the spouse dies. So think carefully.

Log4Girlz

I found a dog fighting two wolves, he killed one! Wow nice work dog. Told his ass to go home though.

Anyway, my heavy armor no longer weighs anything, so I try to go solo often...I hate walking backwards to ensure that Lydia is following.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going on a date tonight.

But I kinda just want to go home and play Skyrim. IT'S BEEN FIVE DAYS. D-:

Jeff Chen

Banned
Made it to the Throat of the World WITHOUT the shout
of clearing the sky
. Hardcore climber I am! ;)

The dragon that's supposed to teach me a new shout wasn't even there. But
At least there were some ore veils, so my visit wasn't in vain.

Noaloha

That's most definitely the Lydia I know. Yup. No doubt about it. Sigh.

As maddening and clumsy and dopey as she's been in the 80 or so hours that I've known her, she's also provided the best laughs. For this playthrough at least, I have no intention of using another NPC follower and risk seeing the same behaviour. I really don't want to shatter this RP illusion I've warmed to about Lydia simply being a complete and utter idiot.

Welp, time for more OCD to kick in and power level enchanting now that I have the black star

Everything is going to be disenchanted instead of sold now, I have enough gold to live off of :p

Edit - LOL Lydia.......I have her in full dragonplate now, she seems to have gotten smarter lately

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Welp, time for more OCD to kick in and power level enchanting now that I have the black star

Everything is going to be disenchanted instead of sold now, I have enough gold to live off of :p

Edit - LOL Lydia.......I have her in full dragonplate now, she seems to have gotten smarter lately

Then you probably just want to buy filled Grand Soul Gems at the shop. While yes, the Azura Star allows you to re-use it to gather more souls, you can only have one at a time, which means you can only make one enchantment per trip - and that sucks balls.

abundant

I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend:

He killed a storyline dragon when he wasn't supposed to (very early). Is this going to mess his game up and ruin the storyline? Will respawn?

I don't want to say much more about it as I might spoil something that isn't obvious.

You need to give more information before we can answer. None of the Main questline dragons can be fought until you get to their quest. He probably stumbled into a Dragon's Lair.

Lydia seems to be the new Adoring Fan. :lol

I haven't even used a companion yet in this game. Wulf runs solo.

You need to give more information before we can answer. None of the Main questlnie dragons can be fought until you get to their quest. He probably stumbled into a Dragon's Lair.
Do those dragons even spawn before you kill the first one near Whiterun?

I'm leveling my Enchanting skill like a boss. Trapping souls everywhere I can, enchanting every piece of unenchanted gear I can get my hands on. When Wulf retires, he will do so in an armor wrought by the Gods themselves.

You can enchant a blade with both Soul Trap and Fire damage once you have the "Double Enchanter"-perk, right?

Then you probably just want to buy filled Grand Soul Gems at the shop. While yes, the Azura Star allows you to re-use it to gather more souls, you can only have one at a time, which means you can only make one enchantment per trip - and that sucks balls.

I have a whole bunch of soul gems in my inventory, and a unique daedric mace with soul trap, should give me a good head start.........

Jeff Chen

Banned

ya, that is so not cool if you wanna power level your enchanting. I've been traveling around the world for lesser and petty soul gems and then fill them... poor wild animals massacred for petty souls ;P

Enco

Lydia left me because she got tired of waiting. Not sure where I left her. I admit, I miss her. I'm finding it tough alone.

Crap, I have to go to bed and still have to read the reports for tomorrow, but I can't stop playing.

I was on my way from Windhelm to Morthal, because someone told me that that Falion guy is into vampirism. I hope he can help me to get rid of it. Anyway, on my way there I found the ... FORSAKEN CAVE *dramatic music* and there was no way I could just pass by and ignore it. So I entered it and it seems rather boring so far, except for one thing. Most of the urns are already empty. Makes me think that someone else is or was there ...

To be continued.

Damn.

Zeliard

I have a whole bunch of soul gems in my inventory, and a unique daedric mace with soul trap, should give me a good head start.........

Enemies that grant grand souls through the normal fashion are pretty rare, though. That's actually why the Black Star is so much better than Azura's Star - it can give you grand souls with any human enemy, while with Azura's you can only get grand souls from certain high-level non-human enemies.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Lydia seems to be the new Adoring Fan. :lol

I haven't even used a companion yet in this game. Wulf runs solo.

Do those dragons even spawn before you kill the first one near Whiterun?

I'm leveling my Enchanting skill like a boss. Trapping souls everywhere I can, enchanting every piece of unenchanted gear I can get my hands on. When Wulf retires, he will do so in an armor wrought by the Gods themselves.

You can enchant a blade with both Soul Trap and Fire damage once you have the "Double Enchanter"-perk, right?

Make iron daggers, enchant them with petty souls, sell - do this around the world.

I've been doing this for around 2 days and I'm at Enchangting 89, Smithing 89, over 18000 gold in hand...

Lakitu

st5fu
Anybody else encounter that old Orc near Whiterun he was asking for an honourable death? I gave him an honourable death by cutting off his head. Unintentionally. I feel sad :(

Finally smithed an Ebony Greatsword today, enchanted it and called it Black Death. Also upgraded to it to Legendary status and got a perk that gives fire enchantments a 25% increase. It's fucking beautiful.

Make iron daggers, enchant them with petty souls, sell - do this around the world.

I've been doing this for around 2 days and I'm at Enchangting 89, Smithing 89, over 18000 gold in hand...

I've been doing this too, even though my Smithing skill's already well at 100.

Anybody else encounter that old Orc near Whiterun he was asking for an honourable death? I gave him an honourable death by cutting off his head. Unintentionally. I feel sad :(

Finally smithed an Ebony Greatsword today, enchanted it and called it Black Death. Also upgraded to it to Legendary status and got a perk that gives fire enchantments a 25% increase. It's fucking beautiful.
I encountered him near Falkreath. Ultimately decided I didn't feel like killing him, so I left him to wander.

Killed my first couple of Ancient Dragons today. One attacked me a bit out of Ivarstead, near a sawmill. Damn thing depleted my health like it was nothing: thank god I could keep Spell Breaker between me and its Shousts for the most part. The sole guard stationed at the sawmill aided me, but got unceremoniously chewed up by the dragon right before I charged in head-first and carved the dragon to pieces.

The second one attacked near Kynesgrove, which seems to be a real Dragon hotspot. I fought maybe four of them near there already.

I'm pretty sure they do. There's only 10 Dragon Lairs in Skyrim according to UESP.
I probably found most of 'em already, then. There's at least one Word Wall just outside in the wildernis too, without a map marker. I think it's near Solitude.

Killed my first couple of Ancient Dragons today. One attacked me a bit out of Ivarstead, near a sawmill. Damn thing depleted my health like it was nothing: thank god I could keep Spell Breaker between me and its Shousts for the most part. The sole guard stationed at the sawmill aided me, but got unceremoniously chewed up by the dragon right before I charged in head-first and carved the dragon to pieces.

The second one attacked near Kynesgrove, which seems to be a real Dragon hotspot. I fought maybe four of them near there already. I arrived at night, and before I could get my bearings I heard a guard exclaim "By the gods, it's a dragon!"

Top Bottom