• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

-PXG-

Krosis was a bitch. I whooped his ass earlier today. Morokei was muuuuch harder. I haven't encountered Volsung yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
subversus said:
you're not deep yet at all.

I killed the guy since the last time he ran away and I ended up getting ambushed and killed by undead. So now I have the claw, show I go deeper to the undead or just GTFO? I'm just level 2.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ether_Snake said:
I killed the guy since the last time he ran away and I ended up getting ambushed and killed by undead. So now I have the claw, show I go deeper to the undead or just GTFO? I'm just level 2.
Go deeper, it's worth it.

Tetsuo9

Just plugged the 360 controller on my PC and suddenly the game feels so much better. It's amazing how bad the IU for mice and keyboard is, sometimes I couldn't even point to the conversation option I wanted.

balddemon

Banned
this thread has taken a turn for the sexual

golden claw quest spoilers
there will be a guy stuck in a spider web, he has what you want

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I finished up the Stormcloak quests. Apart from
The Battle of Whiterun
, I was a little disappointed. I didn't get a great reward at the end. Ulfric gave me
some health draining Glass Sword
, but it was worse than
my flaming Ebony sword
. I've got it on display in my home as a trophy.

I'm currently Level 28 now, though I did power level my Smithing skill to 80 so I could craft Ebony equipment. Combined with some bonuses, I crafted and improved a full armor set and sword to Legendary. I'm just tearing through enemies left and right now. I improved my magic resistance through the Lord Stone and a Blocking perk, plus I have the Spellbreaker shield which absorbs 50 points of magic damage every time it's raised. I'm probably going to turn the difficulty up a notch so I don't get bored.

Also, Dwemer ruins are fucking cool.

Seeing there's going to be a GAF blackout Friday the same day I'm picking it up is there any negative from starting the story quests? I haven't played it yet obviously, but I'm assuming dragons don't start wrecking shit until you start the story. Is there anything like some city being destroyed by a dragon, thus eliminating certain quests, if you are too gung-ho on the story quests at the start?

balddemon

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Seeing there's going to be a GAF blackout Friday the same day I'm picking it up is there any negative from starting the story quests? I haven't played it yet obviously, but I'm assuming dragons don't start wrecking shit until you start the story. Is there anything like some city being destroyed by a dragon, thus eliminating certain quests, if you are too gung-ho on the story quests at the start?

not that i'm aware of. keep in mind that if you want random dragons to appear, you have to
kill the 1st story dragon

Davedough said:
I read somewhere earlier today, and dont remember if it was in the OT thread or a thread of its own that Amazon was going to be getting more hardcover guides in and for $26. Has that been confirmed, if so, where and do they know when?

I was able to order one yesterday at around 2 pm est. They sold out again two hours later. Can't wait!

TekDragon

Banned
Just had my first 4-way battle yesterday.

Alail or whatever her name is and I were treking through the wilderness. All of a sudden I hear a huge battle over the next hill. We creep up and see 2 bears and a dire wolf engaging a pack of mages

Now, despite being level 35 and knowing in my head that every single mage outside of the mage college is a black robe wearing Dr. Evil who plays in skulls and spinal cords - I still held out hope that maybe, just maybe, these would be friendly NPC mages (yeah, fat chance). So I ran in and next thing I know I've got one of the bears peeling off and chasing me while an Ice Mage starts shooting bolts at me (FFFFFFUUUUUUU).

Next thing I know I hear a massive roar and a fucking dragon sets down about 25 meters in front of me and starts laying waste to everything.

If that wasn't good enough, Alail chose that moment to say "I'm getting out of here!".

Atomski

Hmm is this a bug. I did a few quest for the Bards College. I got some instruments for them and turned the quests in. Now the instruments are still in my bags.. they weigh stuff and I cant get rid of them. Also I haven't seen anymore Bards quests.

Bugged or am I doing something wrong?

TekDragon

Banned
Atomski said:
Hmm is this a bug. I did a few quest for the Bards Guild. I got some instruments for them and turned the quests in. Now the instruments are still in my bags.. they weigh stuff and I cant get rid of them. Also I haven't seen anymore Bards quests.

Bugged or am I doing something wrong?

Try cycling all your quests in the quest tracker. If that doesn't work, play for a bit. I had that happen with a few items (giant toes and the 12-gold bottles of wine) and later, despite not doing any quest with them, I was then able to remove them from my inventory.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Honestly I think this would be a really fun way to playthrough the game.

Never look at the map. Base everything off roads & signs, and create your own map. Of course you'd have to do it on your own piece of paper(s) but you can get a starting point and create the map all around your starting point. Would make the game super engrossing.

Zeliard

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I can't believe he puts it right on the table after you give it to him, too. Like bro, I killed your wife, you are very trusting around me!

I found the Shroud Heath Barrow quest in Ivarstead amusing.

The
ghost guy was growing paranoid that the townspeople had found and hid the Sapphire claw from him. He was so determined to find it that he remained in the dungeon and became increasingly crazed looking for it, before ultimately perishing and becoming a ghost convinced that he was meant to guard the place.

While alive he went so far as to make the area seem haunted to keep people away so they wouldn't take the claw before he could find it.

After killing him for good, taking his journal and heading back to town, you find that one of the townspeople did in fact have the claw, and he just casually gives it to you.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GillianSeed79 said:

It's pretty essential that you play the main quest until you
kill your first dragon.
Then go do whatever.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Stumbled upon a magical rift that needed sealing in the middle of the wilderness. I needed a particular magical staff that I had stored away in my chest back in Windhelm. As I was walking away and considering my options a bunch of magical... things spewed forth from the rift. They were pretty tough and there was a bunch of them and they were flying.. a ran the heck away.

Stumbled into a door that was buried into the hillside and ducked into it to hide from the magical flying tough things. Seen a woman and thinking she was a dungeon dweller I started blasting away at her with some spells. She told me to cut it out. Turns out she here looking for some scroll and asked me for help. Sure, why not. Kill some time and hopefully the flying evils are gone by the time we're done here.

We we go deep into this crypt fighting the undead and she's almost as good as I am. We're tag teaming even the toughest zombie and zapping shit up.

Reach the end and fight the boss. He's kinda tough but with the two of us it's no sweat. We get the scroll. She thanks me, gives me some sweet loot, then I loot the boss for some kind of mask - looks like it's important.

We part ways, I exit the dungeon and the evil flying things have finally buggered off. A blood dragon appears. With another dragon circling in the air. The evil buggers reappear.

Love. This. Game.

Trasher

I gained six levels today (I'm now 34) and all I did was one quest...lol. All the rest of the time I was leveling smithing, pickpocketing, and enchanting. My orc is fully decked out in Ebony armor now. It looks sick! My Legendary Ebony Axe is quite nice. :)

TekDragon

Banned
K2Valor said:

Never look at the map. Base everything off roads & signs, and create your own map. Of course you'd have to do it on your own piece of paper(s) but you can get a starting point and create the map all around your starting point. Would make the game super engrossing.

I'll wait for a mod that fleshes out roads before I do that. There's simply not enough road signs to make that feasible.

K2Valor said:

Until you get a mission to go to cave x and that's all they tell you

GDJustin

Zeliard said:
I found the Shroud Heath Barrow quest in Ivarstead amusing.

The
ghost guy was growing paranoid that the townspeople had found and hid the Sapphire claw from him. He was so determined to find it that he remained in the dungeon and became increasingly crazed looking for it, before ultimately perishing and becoming a ghost convinced that he was meant to guard the place.

While alive he went so far as to make the area seem haunted to keep people away so they wouldn't take the claw before he could find it.

After killing him for good, taking his journal and heading back to town, you find that one of the townspeople did in fact have the claw, and he just casually gives it to you.

Yeah, I just did that quest last night and got a good kick out of it. The potions lying around his den was a nice touch. I haven't tried to drink/craft one to see whether they'll have the same effect on me or not, yet.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ether_Snake said:

you should go deeper but you also should level up a bit. Make a separate save, try to make it to the end, if you fail - reload and roam the Skyrim to level up a bit.

But I think you should be fine. Try stealthing through rooms with undead, they're not easy to wake up.

Trasher said:
I gained six levels today (I'm now 34) and all I did was one quest...lol. All the rest of the time I was leveling smithing, pickpocketing, and enchanting. My orc is fully decked out in Ebony armor now. It looks sick! My Legendary Ebony Axe is quite nice. :)
Nice, I can't wait to get some Ebony gear myself.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Do stealthy archer type players are just shit out of luck when determining if people are friendly/enemy from afar or is there an option I missed?

I just shot a dude through the throat because I wanted to be sneaking who then yelled at me for doing it later with the arrow still there lol.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0jQs9CJ5vo

Anyone who thinks Skyrim is ugly needs to watch that (in HD) and fucking learn something. My god... this game is a crowning achievement in environmental rendering and visuals. No developer does weather quite like Bethesda. Such a surreal game with its northern lights dancing above the cold, snowy mountaintops in the night sky.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
odin toelust said:
Until you get a mission to go to cave x and that's all they tell you
Exactly why it would be fun, in my opinion. Makes exploration necessary.

TekDragon

Banned
Slightly Live said:
Stumbled upon a magical rift that needed sealing in the middle of the wilderness.I needed a particular magical staff that I had stored away in my chest back in Windhelm.

Which staff is this? I have a pretty important staff back in Windhelm, too. Am I supposed to be carrying it around?

MasterShotgun said:
I finished up the Stormcloak quests. Apart from
The Battle of Whiterun
, I was a little disappointed. I didn't get a great reward at the end. Ulfric gave me
some health draining Glass Sword
, but it was worse than
my flaming Ebony sword
. I've got it on display in my home as a trophy.
They were very disappointing. The capture the fort missions were 3 or 4 identical parades of killing a fuckton of imperial soldiers. I'm guessing its exactly the same in the other direction if you side with the imperials. The rewards were utterly useless too.

Now, if you want an awesome quest with a sweet reward, go to Solitude and ask the innkeeper about rumors until he tells you about a crazy guy near the Blue Keep. Talk to him to do the Sheogorath daedric artifact quest which gives you the Wabbajack as a reward. Lovely throwback to the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion.

Corran Horn said:
Do stealthy archer type players are just shit out of luck when determining if people are friendly/enemy from afar or is there an option I missed?

I just shot a dude through the throat because I wanted to be sneaking who then yelled at me for doing it later with the arrow still there lol.
Depending how good your stealth is you can get close enough to get their title, other than that I'm just shooting everything that moves in dungeons.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
TekDragon said:
Which staff is this? I have a pretty important staff back in Windhelm, too. Am I supposed to be carrying it around?

It's (Mage Guild)
the staff you get to finish the Guild's main quest. After you beat the main Mage quests, you'll have get a quest to seal up a few rifts that opened up around Skyrim thanks to the Eye.

I just stored it in case I needed it. Guess it'll have another use.

Dresden

Do unique items not upgrade to Legendary or something? Or at least, some of them? Even with 100 smithing the Mehrune's Razor won't go up to Legendary, it only hits Flawless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Corran Horn said:

Shopkeepers are generally invincible. So are quest givers. Many other NPCs, however, can be killed.

Cryptozoologist said:
Luckily none of my companions have died yet. Well, they have, I just reloaded because I don't want to lose them at this moment.

Let 'em die. There are plenty of companions out there and death of a loved one is part of the game.

I purposefully led Burkagh(? the female orc) to her death because she annoyed the shit outta me.

Aselith

Corran Horn said:

Get Detect Life.

GDJustin

Any consensus on Empire Vs. Stormcloaks?

I'm leaning empire even though they nearly FUCKING KILLED ME in the intro because, well... I'm generally a "law and order" sorta guy and uniting people under one banner seems like it advances civilization more. And the Empire was good in Oblivion.

I'm flexible, though.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Using the bow in this game is so damn satisfying. Was in a dungeon where I picked a lock to a room that overlooked the ground level where there were a bunch of enemies. Proceeded to snipe them while they had no clue what was going on. So fucking badass.

The only problem I'm running into right now is quest overload. Instead of just finishing up quests, I just keep exploring and racking up the quest queue lol. I'm afraid to even look at my misc quest log...

Dresden

GDJustin said:
Any consensus on Empire Vs. Stormcloaks?

I'm leaning empire even though they nearly FUCKING KILLED ME in the intro because, well... I'm generally a "law and order" sorta guy and uniting people under one banner seems like it advances civilization more. And the Empire was good in Oblivion.

I'm flexible, though.
Both are douchebags but at least the Empire is cool with people not being Nords.

Really need a third 'fuck 'em all' option where you take over as the omnipotent dragon-god of Tamriel.

Tom Penny

Fuck one of the blacksmiths that sell shit in a town got killed by a dragon when we were fighting one and now I can't buy stuff from him any more :(

Tenck

krameriffic said:
Enjoy. The thieves guild missions are much better than the others in my opinion.

What can I expect? Lots of gold and women (or in this case men since I'm playing as a chick)?

Edit: Same sex relationships!! Forgot about them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GDJustin said:
I'm leaning empire even though they nearly FUCKING KILLED ME in the intro because, well... I'm generally a "law and order" sorta guy and uniting people under one banner seems like it advances civilization more.
The banner in this case, however, is the one of ugly snooty elves looking to enslave the entire human race, if not explicitly through conquest, than implicitly through political maneuvering.
Really need a third 'fuck 'em all' option where you take over as the omnipotent dragon-god of Tamriel.
I'm surprised there's no option in this game to become a Jarl, then to unite the other Jarls or something.

I mean you're already dovahkiin. It stands to reason you're Skyrim's Aragorn. The blood of Numenor flows through your veins etc etc.

Or Daenarys even.

markot

Banned
On the one hand, empire is being douchey. On the other hand, so are the stormcloaks >.<;

Its a tough choice. Do you have to choose though before the 'end' of the main dragon related quests? I was hoping I could just become emperor and settle matters! What with dragonblood and what nots!

Also, supporting the skyrim seperatists weakens the empire, thus making Elvish take over more likely!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm getting beat over the head with dragons and random crashes tonight. Shit is ridiculous.

Tenck

Darkerkamikaze said:
I've gotten a ton of gold during the quest line so far, women...not so much.

The women part was the deal breaker. Who am I supposed to spend my money on now?!?!?!!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So, anyone know any good Black Friday deals on Skyrim?

I'm wondering if Amazon's Buy 1 Get 50% Off sale is my best bet. I want Uncharted 3 and Skyrim, even though I know that Uncharted 3 is getting discounted to $30 at various outlets on Black Friday. However, I haven't heard about any deals on Skyrim (particularly the PC version), so I figure it'll still be $60, and if I pounce of Amazon's now deal then I'd be getting Uncharted 3 for $30 anyway.

I don't know...

Steer me in the right direction, GAF.

Top Bottom