• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I finally got the vampire curse off my character. I can't remember how I even got it or if's a story thing you just have to figure out but thank God. I was starting to change the cycle to night exclusively as the sun hurt me. It wasn't even that hard to do either (filling black soul gem using spell to trap souls within 60 secs). I was going to come on here and ask but I'm free of it and can now explore without fear during the daytime. People were starting to ask me if I felt alright too which is how I started to gradually notice the effects like the on screen prompts getting more frequent. I just hit Solitude, such an amazing city. I took some shots on my main PC. I want to move there like now. So beautiful and just hits me right.

Can someone point me out this one particular spot that is a frame rate killer there? I've read several people in the PC thread mention Solitude. It's no worse than Riverwood for me. I get as low as like 38 but not terrible.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Found my first dwarf dungeon yesterday... damn those things are a gold mine.

Now, if only those damn vendors had more than 750 fucking gold. Its a pain to fast travel between towns, having to run to an inn or my house to sleep if i happen to reach a town during the night AND finally run to the vendor, all that for 750 gold.

BeeDog

I've unlocked the investment perk, but how do I use it? I don't see an option to invest the gold in a shopkeeper. Or are you simply supposed to buy shit from them for at least 500 gold?

LiquidMetal14

Now, if only those damn vendors had more than 750 fucking gold. Its a pain to fast travel between towns, having to run to an inn or my house to sleep if i happen to reach a town during the night AND finally run to the vendor, all that for 750 gold.

I noticed that too. It works out if you buy some things first though but if you sell so much, they will eventually run out everytime without fail.

zethren

Banned
The fastest way I gained gold at that point in the game was through the Companions guild quests. Selling loot and getting gold at the end Of most of the quests helped greatly.

As for the arrows, try dropping all of the arrows you own. That usually does the trick.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I noticed that too. It works out if you buy some things first though but if you sell so much, they will eventually run out everytime without fail.

It's even more annoying when you end up with a nice necklace worth ~600 gold. I did all that fast travel + running to an inn + sleeping for 10 hours + running to a vendor, just so i could sell 1 damn necklace.

I just want a PC mod to give infinite money to vendors... sigh

Woorloog

Banned

Buy useful (even if it is marginal) stuff and then sell your stuff. Healing, stamina and mana potions, poisons, resist potions, lockpicks, ingredients (if you're alchemist), arrows (if you're archer) and scrolls (Mass paralysis and other high level spells as scrolls are good).
Unless you really need turn them into cash...
If there are multiple merchants but only one buys all sorts of stuff (say, a general merchant), buy stuff from him you can sell onward to food traders, alchemists etc.
IMO either method is better than simply waiting a lot for merchants to refresh their money. You get a lot of Speech this way too (which has very useful perks incase you always have too much loot).

Ponti

For 1 the quickest would be to smith weapons, enchant them then sell them. You can also gain a fair bit of gold just by picking up and selling the junk / enchanted items you find in dungeons.
For 2 if your on PC you can enter the 'sexchange' command in the console twice. If you aren't on PC the only way is to get shot by arrows again.

AEREC

Can someone point me out this one particular spot that is a frame rate killer there? I've read several people in the PC thread mention Solitude. It's no worse than Riverwood for me. I get as low as like 38 but not terrible.

On PC and Markarth seems to be the most graphically intensive city, as my framerate seems to drop to 30fps in there. The only other problem areas are dungeons with a bunch of lighting effect.

It's funny though the outside world of Skyrim seems to run smoother than it does in most dungeons for me...which was the complete opposite of Oblivion.

i-Lo

For 1 the quickest would be to smith weapons, enchant them then sell them. You can also gain a fair bit of gold just by picking up and selling the junk / enchanted items you find in dungeons.
For 2 if your on PC you can enter the 'sexchange' command in the console twice. If you aren't on PC the only way is to get shot by arrows again.

I made the cash by selling my dragon bones/scales (figuring there are always more) and then enchanting iron daggers and selling them for close to 300 gold.

Ah, thank you so much. I have to learn how to enchant weapons because I don't know whether adding Frost bit poison to my bow counts (because there isn't any bar of sorts that show whether it was affected or not).

I finally got the vampire curse off my character. I can't remember how I even got it or if's a story thing you just have to figure out but thank God. I was starting to change the cycle to night exclusively as the sun hurt me. It wasn't even that hard to do either (filling black soul gem using spell to trap souls within 60 secs). I was going to come on here and ask but I'm free of it and can now explore without fear during the daytime. People were starting to ask me if I felt alright too which is how I started to gradually notice the effects like the on screen prompts getting more frequent. I just hit Solitude, such an amazing city. I took some shots on my main PC. I want to move there like now. So beautiful and just hits me right.

If you battle a vampire and they hit you, you get infected, i also couldnt explain how i got vampirism, its so random in this game. I remember in Oblivion you get asked if you want to be one.

People talking about the Skyforge, is there something special about it? I've been playing 70 hours and still haven't been, I have Dragon armour and ebony weapons so I guess it doesn't make much difference now :/

Woorloog

Banned
If you battle a vampire and they hit you, you get infected, i also couldnt explain how i got vampirism, its so random in this game. I remember in Oblivion you get asked if you want to be one.

Or you get infected during a fight with one (in Oblivion). It is a disease so of course being infected is random.

LiquidMetal14

So you have to go through that everytime then? I do remember that in ESIV too.

It sucks (lol) since you have to go through the stupid ritual at like 5am with that one dude every time. Unless there's a spell or potion to stop it.

MrBig

It works exactly like it did in oblivion. If you're in a fight with one you have a chance of being infected. Once you're infected you can cure the disease by normals means (pray at an alter, use a cure disease potion), but after it develops you have to do a special quest to rid yourself of it.

Can you be infected if you are also a werewolf?

You cannot contract any diseases as a werewolf.

Woorloog

Banned
So you have to go through that everytime then? I do remember that in ESIV too.

It sucks (lol) since you have to go through the stupid ritual at like 5am with that one dude every time. Unless there's a spell or potion to stop it.

Or you could, you know, use "cure disease" potion or an altar before the disease manifests itself as fullblown Vampirisim.

LiquidMetal14

It works exactly like it did in oblivion. If you're in a fight with one you have a chance of being infected. Once you're infected you can cure the disease by normals means (pray at an alter, use a cure disease potion), but after it develops you have to do a special quest to rid yourself of it.
Oh I see. The thing is, and it's pretty cool too, that I basically started noticing the change slowly. Then people started telling me I don't look good. Finally, every time I went outside I got the on screen "the sun is hurting you" prompt. Then I luckily just randomly went and asked for rumors until I got pointed into the right direction. I swear if something that you don't know about goes wrong, sometimes asking for rumors can lead you to that answer, it's pretty cool.

Or you could, you know, use "cure disease" potion or an altar before the disease manifests itself as fullblown Vampirisim.

As I said, this is my first bout with it so I didn't think of it. I have like 8 cure disease potions and actually (something I forgot to mention), I used one but it didn't go away. That's when it hit me that this was a bigger issue than normal. I actually think the realistic way the game goes about these things made it more enjoyable to fix. Like when you shout sprint in cities, the guards will kindly tell you that the citizens are getting scared lol

How would you know you are infected, last time i didnt know until my screen started flashing, should i be checking my Powers menu constantly?

webrunner

You cannot contract any diseases as a werewolf.

My fiancee somehow ended up with Ataxia after being a werewolf, not sure the deal there.

Ponti

People talking about the Skyforge, is there something special about it? I've been playing 70 hours and still haven't been, I have Dragon armour and ebony weapons so I guess it doesn't make much difference now :/
It's really good equipment for low level characters and also scales with level (not sure if other weapon types do). Ebony and up seems to be the point at which Skyforge will need replacing.

Woorloog

Banned
How would you know you are infected, last time i didnt know until my screen started flashing, should i be checking my Powers menu constantly?

You get a message on the upper left corner when you get afflicted by any disease though it is easy to miss. Keep track of your Active Effects list, it lists diseases (on red, just like other negative effects). Might want to check it periodically, whether you fight vampires or not, most creatures have a chance of afflicting you with a disease.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Disease

MrBig

The game will tell you taht you have contracted "Sanguinare Vampiris" as the base disease. Diseases are listed in "active effcts" under magic.

Zeliard

The entire loot system is basically trivialized due to the way Smithing/Enchanting work, and the scaling vendors on top of it. Even if you were able to find more cool stuff than you do now, it wouldn't really matter that much if those other systems were kept in place in their current forms.

As it stands you basically have to force yourself to keep Smithing/Enchanting limited so that you have the possibility of finding something meaningful.

Sharp

I really don't understand why everyone's complaining about the loot... maybe it's because I'm a mage and just sell everything anyway, but it hasn't seemed horribly out of proportion to my level to me. Maybe it's because I'm still relatively low level though.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This game has the worst loot.

The worst.

It would be nice if they have better loot distribution. Like lumping that 500 gold in one container rather than spreading them in 100 containers in one dungeon.I've gone to the point where i sometimes don't bother much with containers once i gauge the average loot level in a dungeon.

Woorloog

Banned
So it's guesswork?

Good thing i have the game guide... it lists things like levels of the enemies.
BTW, even basic bandits scale with level, there are lvl 1, 5, 9, 14, 19, 25 versions of them. That's just "Bandit".
Their level is always closest one to your level, rounded down. If you're level 12, the enemies are level 9 versions usually (at least the basic bandits..).

LiquidMetal14

It would be nice if they have better loot distribution. Like lumping that 500 gold in one container rather than spreading them in 100 containers in one dungeon.I've gone to the point where i sometimes don't bother much with containers once i gauge the average loot level in a dungeon.

I've gone through this too and I swear, it's added like 2 hours to my game play. It's cheap. They put like random empty vases and earns around that say empty. How about putting them in and just leaving them non open-able like the other decorative stuff?

The more I read, the more I want to buy a guide. Even if just for enemy info and art.

The entire loot system is basically trivialized due to the way Smithing/Enchanting work, and the scaling vendors on top of it. Even if you were able to find more cool stuff than you do now, it wouldn't really matter that much if those other systems were kept in place in their current forms.

As it stands you basically have to force yourself to keep Smithing/Enchanting limited so that you have the possibility of finding something meaningful.

hmm so you are saying that by leveling up weapons/armors with smithing, the player itself makes loot irrelevant as you wont find anything that surpasses your leveled items.

Didnt realize that before :(, but it makes sense.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I don't even loot bodies or check chests anymore. I have become a God so it doesn't matter what kind of kitchen scraps they put in for me to search for.

Chris_C

Incredible game is incredible. I spent 2 hours wandering around this giant mountain trying to figure out how to get up there to the Greybeards. Ended up fighting off a dragon and a pack of wolves, tangoing with a snow bear, stumbling upon a vampires nest and then dying.

Feels good, man.

i-Lo

Good thing i have the game guide... it lists things like levels of the enemies.
BTW, even basic bandits scale with level, there are lvl 1, 5, 9, 14, 19, 25 versions of them. That's just "Bandit".
Their level is always closest one to your level, rounded down. If you're level 12, the enemies are level 9 versions usually (at least the basic bandits..).

I am on level 7 iirc. As such, the scaling enemies shouldn't be the biggest trouble.

I made the cash by selling my dragon bones/scales (figuring there are always more) and then enchanting iron daggers and selling them for close to 300 gold.

One thing though, aren't the ingots and soul gems limited in number? As such, is it wise to deplete the collection of enchanted or smith weapons/items?

Incredible game is incredible. I spent 2 hours wandering around this giant mountain trying to figure out how to get up there to the Greybeards. Ended up fighting off a dragon and a pack of wolves, tangoing with a snow bear, stumbling upon a vampires nest and then dying.

Feels good, man.

I had a moment like this yesterday too, my mission was to enter a dungeon kill a guy and get out, the guy was pretty much at the entrance of the dungeon but instead of getting out, I decided to explore the rest of the dungeon, it was huge and led me to a very surprising boss battle and opening a huge new dungeon.

krioto

At Conjuration level 75 you can buy it. From a practical standpoint it's pretty much the only summon you'd ever need due to how insanely powerful Dremora Lords are, especially once you're able to summon two at once.

I find Dead Thrall to be a lot of fun, though, and since I've gotten that I've been using it often.

Thanks - looks like I need to get conjuring. Only at 55 now.

I feel pathetic for checking every corner for 5 gold scraps...

Dungeons are miserable.

Happened to me last night. Was moving through a dungeon and I felt like a bum scraping loose gold pieces from a table. To keep immersion, I grabbed an apple too and ate it.

Top Bottom