• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

MrBig

speaking of, i swear sometimes characters go between two distinct voices. it's odd.

Well that is just from different sessions or non-linear recordings. Esbern is the only main character (that I know of at least) that actually switches voice actors

So, I'm doing the Forbidden Legends quest, and have gotten to dungeon #3, Saarthal. But it's locked up, and I can't get in. A check at various wikis tells me you get in via a College of Winterhold quest - is that right? I can't get in via this quest?

Yes. It is the first thing you do in the guild.

Gravijah

So, I'm doing the Forbidden Legends quest, and have gotten to dungeon #3, Saarthal. But it's locked up, and I can't get in. A check at various wikis tells me you get in via a College of Winterhold quest - is that right? I can't get in via this quest?

yeah, you gotta do that questline. it's like the second quest though so it's not so bad.

Well that is just from different sessions or non-linear recordings. Esbern is the only main character (that I know of at least) that actually switches voice actors

it's just really jarring because sometimes it's the next sentence.

Wallach

where might I find her at the college? I'm looking everywhere

Annoying place, those guys wander everywhere. If she isn't in one of the side areas where all the beds are (check both floors of bedrooms, she'll often be sitting down in one of them), she'll usually be in the library area.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Annoying place, those guys wander everywhere. If she isn't in one of the side areas where all the beds are (check both floors of bedrooms, she'll often be sitting down in one of them), she'll usually be in the library area.

ok, thanks so much for the help, I found her.

Luthos

Fffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuu- yes!

I finally got the Storm Call shout. Well, the first word. I'm so happy, my most anticipated shout (that I knew about).

nib95

Banned
I'd never join the Stormcloaks due to the racist undertones. The entire village they occupy is unfair, wretched and racist. I'd never want anyone like that ruling.

On a side note, I'm a bit peeved that Daedric armour is the best in the game as my fave looking is easily Ebony armour. Annoying you can't really Legendary smith sets of both, not without spending a crap tonne anyway. Why is the most evil, demonic looking armour in games always the best? Eurgh...

Anyway, I'm around level 34, barely done any of the main quest. Pretty sure I'm super bad ass as I'm ousting every foe with ease. Even the Frost Dragon. Wonder if the game can, or will pick up difficulty. Only playing on Normal, might just bump it up if it stays easy. Then again, I have been maxing stats using effective methods (iron daggers and standing in-front of a hardcore attacker ftw), hence the easy level ups.

Wallach

I'd never join the Stormcloaks due to the racist undertones. The entire village they occupy is unfair, wretched and racist. I'd never want anyone like that ruling.

On a side note, I'm a bit peeved that Daedric armour is the best in the game as my fave looking is easily Ebony armour. Annoying you can't really Legendary smith sets of both, not without spending a crap tonne anyway. Why is the most evil, demonic looking armour in games always the best? Eurgh...

If it makes you feel better, armor has a value cap of 80% mitigation (567 displayed armor rating) which is totally trivial to hit in Ebony with Smithing support. Worry not.

Armor spells, Waterbreathing, Telekinesis and Paralyze.

I'm only at Apprentice level so I guess I'm stuck using Stoneflesh, but the problem there is I almost never see direct combat, and if I did the enemy is usually dead before we exchange many blows. Could be a bit annoying.

nib95

Banned
It's not a challenge. 0 cost Destruction + Fire Wall = EZ mode. If something, Destruction is incredibly boring, you just run around and Fireball them to death.

Also, for anyone playing Sword+Shield - 3rd person view is mandatory, remember you can zoom it out.

How do you zoom it out?

Wallach

I'm only at Apprentice level so I guess I'm stuck using Stoneflesh, but the problem there is I almost never see direct combat, and if I did the enemy is usually dead before we exchange many blows. Could be a bit annoying.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Definitely consider raising it for Telekinesis though, because that is a very useful spell if you have Silent Casting from Illusion. It makes stealing a lot of items much easier (and more fun) when you can pull them to you from quite far away to a place they might not be able to see.

For just trying to level it, the Detect spells do okay if there's something around to detect. Telekinesis makes it easier to level once you have it, since you get skill experience just for holding an item aloft. You can also get some experience just spamming Magelight.

nib95

Banned
If it makes you feel better, armor has a value cap of 80% mitigation (567 displayed armor rating) which is totally trivial to hit in Ebony with Smithing support. Worry not.

Not entirely sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Far as I can tell my current Legendary Orcish armour only has a rating of like 50-60 (I think). Assuming Daedric will be a lot more but not close to 576 right?

On a side note, 100 level Block is hilarious once you unlock the Shield knock over attack. Literally run around sprinting with shield in to enemies and watching them fly away like flies. Even big ass enemies like Giants. It's like bowling lol.

With console? Hold-click the right stick, and them use the left stick to zoom in/out.

Tried that but sometimes it just doesn't want to move too far out.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
It's not a challenge. 0 cost Destruction + Fire Wall = EZ mode. If something, Destruction is incredibly boring, you just run around and Fireball them to death.

Also, for anyone playing Sword+Shield - 3rd person view is mandatory, remember you can zoom it out.

how doyou get 0 cost destruction?

Wallach

Not entirely sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Far as I can tell my current Legendary Orcish armour only has a rating of like 50-60 (I think). Assuming Daedric will be a lot more but not close to 576 right?

On a side note, 100 level Block is hilarious once you unlock the Shield knock over attack. Literally run around sprinting with shield in to enemies and watching them fly away like flies. Even big ass enemies like Giants. It's like bowling lol.

Once you have the Ebony tier perks, improving them via workbench is twice as effective for that tier of armor. When combined with high Heavy Armor, Smithing (for better workbench gains) and all of the perks that increase armor from Heavy Armor, you'll cap armor with Ebony easily. It takes some perk investment into Heavy Armor that you probably don't have yet (100% for 5 ranks of Juggernaut, 25% from Well Fitted, another 25% for Matching Set).

Tried that but sometimes it just doesn't want to move too far out.

You can upgrade ebony to reach the armor cap, need smithing leveled up and maybe some blacksmithing elixers for when you upgrade at the work bench. The Blacksmith potions will appear on vendors from time to time if your not a alchemist, also you might need an enchanted blacksmith set(you can enchant up to 4 pieces). the enchant to look out for is something like "improves blacksmithing improvement by x%). I found a piece off a vendor and disenchanted it.

I really liked the steal plate look so I enchanted a set of that up to over the armor cap. Daedric and Dragon look really out of place to me.

Some bad news for heavy armor users. Useing potions/enchanting you can upgrade some light armor sets to reach the armor cap as well. (you need a couple of the light armor perks though).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
how doyou get 0 cost destruction?

With 80 Enchantment you can put 25% cost reduction to a certain school of magic. This can be boosted to 28%+ with a potion. You can put these kind of effects on four different slots (head, hands, finger, necklace I believe), which allows you to reach 100% reduction in a school of magic. If you get the 100 Enchantment perk, which allows you to put two enchantments on an item (not two of the same), you can get 100% cost reduction in two different schools.

For example, my character has 100% cost reduction for Destruction and Restoration.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), by the time you reach 80+ Enchantment skill, you will also probably be nearly maxed out in Smithing. This means that you'll be able to make armor and weapons that not only trivialize the game, but also make any damage done by Destruction spells pretty laughable.

If you want to become a walking badass that is nigh invincible, just get together 10k gold or so, a bunch of soul gems with souls inside and set aside a couple of hours for crafting Iron Daggers (requires Iron Ingots and Leather Strips), enchanting them with whatever, selling them for a profit and repeating the cycle. You'll probably gain around 10 levels in the process.

Does having a high sneak skill reduce the dragon encounters? I occasionally see them fly overhead, but they almost never aggro me anymore. I am not sneaking. I have the swift stone on, but still.

I thought this too, maybe. I mostly see Dragons fighting other monsters now rather than attacking me like they used to, most of the time I just carry on my way and they don't even spot me. I have a huge stockpile of Dragon bones and scales so I'm not bothered about fighting them now.

nib95

Banned
Once you have the Ebony tier perks, improving them via workbench is twice as effective for that tier of armor. When combined with high Heavy Armor, Smithing (for better workbench gains) and all of the perks that increase armor from Heavy Armor, you'll cap armor with Ebony easily. It takes some perk investment into Heavy Armor that you probably don't have yet (100% for 5 ranks of Juggernaut, 25% from Well Fitted, another 25% for Matching Set).

Oh excellent! So Ebony Armor can be maxed after all! Anyone know an easy way to level up Heavy Armour?

Cynar

I have a Breton mage at 33 with maxed destruction, conjuration at about 60 and restoration at about 55 (alteration/illusion are in their 20s, and not worth talking about). Leveling has been 30 level ups of magicka and 2 on health, none on stamina.

Between Breton base magic resistance of 25% and the atronach stone 50% spell absorption, I don't really worry too much about magic. That 25% resist could easily be replicated on gear if you are not a Breton. I never use wards, and usually just rely on overwhelming amounts of dirt cheap low cost destruction spells to kill things.

I also wear no armour and run around in robes, gloves and boots that have been enchanted, with a circlet, necklace and ring. In other words, I have 0 armor whatsoever. If I get hit by anything heavy, I die. Draugr Deathlords, a single arrow from a leveled enemy (or 2 or 3 from base enemies), a bear swipe/2 or 3 wolf bites, one bite from a dragon that landed in my face, etc. Yes, I could cast some mage armor spells, but I instead rely on killing things before they get the chance to kill me. Playing on normal difficulty, but whatever. I find it challenging enough considering I could easily play in a fashion that would make me tougher to kill (ie use some armor, cast some alteration spells, etc), but that's the trade off for going hardcore magicka loaded wizard with full on wizard robes.

There is nothing wrong with going pure destro. It is entirely playable and your character is anything but busted beyond reparation. If you have trouble with magic, enchant some magic resist and grab the atronach stone. Utilize wards if necessary to absorb some magic attacks. But saying the game is broken because now the enemy can cast powerful magic spells and you do nothing to combat that with so little health...well, yeah, you're probably gonna die. Lots.

I'm playing similar to you as a argonian mage and love it. What I lack in resists, I make up with alchemy.

r1chard

Quoted for truth. I love playing sword+shield but couldn't stand it in 1st person. Have to zoom in every now and then to do something fiddly or shoot arrows (I find archery is way more accurate in 1st person).

GhaleonEB

Yes. It is the first thing you do in the guild.

Thanks.

Unfortunate that the dungeon has to server double duty, I didn't want to mess with the College quest line for a while. It's not like there's a shortage of dungeons to go around.

I just wrapped up my second special mission for the Thieves Guild. When it's all through, I'll hit up College next.

Luthos

Hmm, so the big chests respawn? That means I could just keep returning to old dragon head icon locations, kill some dragons for souls and bones/scales, and then loot the chests again...

Gravijah

Thanks.

Unfortunate that the dungeon has to server double duty, I didn't want to mess with the College quest line for a while. It's not like there's a shortage of dungeons to go around.

sadly the reward for that questline sucks, but i still think it's worth doing. lots of fun lore and battles.

Mik2121

Alright, seeing how Skyrim bricked my PS3 and now I can't play, there's not much I can give to this thread so I decided to make an iPhone 4 wallpaper. It's kind of a fast job and not very clean, but if you guys like it, I can spend a bit more time and make it better. I also included a version for the actual icon dashboard.

This is the one for the lock screen:

A66tf.jpg

It looks much better on the iPhone with the black frame around it.

And here are 3 patterns for the main dashboard:

http://i.imgur.com/usrhm.jpg - Darker background
http://i.imgur.com/ybInp.png - Blurred background
http://i.imgur.com/8sqBK.png - Partially blurred background (best if you only have a few rows of icons with folders, as I do)

This is the original image I used. If you guys want some other area, just tell me. I can't go around making versions of everything, so say the dragon to the right, or the character in the center or something... and I will make another 1 or 2 patterns..

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/gallery_files/skyrim_teaser_wall_0.jpg

I wish there were Thalmor quests involved in the Civil War that targets both the Empire and the Stormcloaks. I think siding with the Stormcloaks is most in line with what the Thalmor would want though, despite the racism and all that. Humanity being divided will make them easier to conquer.

okenny

Banned
Hello all,
I'm having a strange issue(?)

I'm not sure if I inadvertently made a choice on the matter by doing a certain quest and it may also be be jumping the gun a little but I think the game thinks I'm Gay :/ I put on the Amulet of Mara and so far I had two dialogs open up for males who either express interest in me or my character has dialog to express interest in them but I haven't been able to open up anything for the ladies (which I want) even though I'm actively trying. Aside from this being too close to real life for my taste (the female rejection thing ;_;), am I inadvertently playing the game in such a way that it thinks my male character, Axel Stabenwrath, prefers males? It's not really my thing I suppose but I'm not willing to restart, I'll go Gay if the game says I was born that way.

Haunted

Esbern switching voice actors is really jarring. And this new guy is terrible too.
What happened?
Looks like they wrote additional lines for the Max von Sydow character and he wasn't available for recording anymore.

Or he quit halfway through the recording because the writing was so awful, who knows.

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I inadvertently made a choice on the matter by doing a certain quest and it may also be be jumping the gun a little but I think the game thinks I'm Gay :/ I put on the Amulet of Mara and so far I had two dialogs open up for males who either express interest in me or my character has dialog to express interest in them but I haven't been able to open up anything for the ladies (which I want) even though I'm actively trying. Aside from this being too close to real life for my taste (the female rejection thing ;_;), am I inadvertently playing the game in such a way that it thinks my male character, Axel Stabenwrath, prefers males? It's not really my thing I suppose but I'm not willing to restart, I'll go Gay if the game says I was born that way.
The game accurately assesses your character and behaves accordingly.

Congratulations, you are homosexual.

GhaleonEB

Tonight I was hired by a small child to murder an old lady, for revenge and spite.

Woo hoo! I love killing old ladies in their sleep.

Might have to do the Dark Brotherhood next. That was a fun warm up lap.

okenny

Banned
Looks like they wrote additional lines for the Max von Sydow character and he wasn't available for recording anymore.

Or he quit halfway through the recording because the writing was so awful, who knows.

The game accurately assesses your character and behaves accordingly.

Congratulations, you are homosexual.

I guess my junior high school friend was more right then I thought when he kept inquiring whether or not my parents knew I was Gay. I guess software as advanced as Skyrim to figure out what only my friend knew and my parents may or may not have known.

Still, I'll only accept the games verdict after a patch. Wouldn't want to go out and do anything that'll leave me confused for a while ;)

NBtoaster

Game is getting a bit buggy..more and more textures are failing to load, getting purple glowing stuff in tons of places :s

Think I'll wait until the patch, and start a new character.

Proxy

Hello all,

There's no gender restrictions on marriage.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Marriage

Tonight I was hired by a small child to murder an old lady, for revenge and spite.

Woo hoo! I love killing old ladies in their sleep.

Might have to do the Dark Brotherhood next. That was a fun warm up lap.

That was one of my favourite quests so far, having the children circle around me cheering that I'd killed Grelod was great. I had her marked down on my 'to kill' list before I ran into that quest anyway.

r1chard

That was one of my favourite quests so far, having the children circle around me cheering that I'd killed Grelod was great. I had her marked down on my 'to kill' list before I ran into that quest anyway.

... well.

I guess we're just not bothering with spoiler tags any more?

Top Bottom