• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

KingK

I'm really liking my new character, but it's really hard to fight dragons sometimes as a stealth character. I was fighting a Blood Dragon, and managed to have him chase me into a Giant camp. The two started beating the shit out of each other while I shot up the dragon with arrows from a safe distance. The dragon went down and the Giant had barely any health left, so I shot him a couple times and he went down too.

Alucrid

Banned
Can someone outline the trick to farm smithing/enchanting? Something to do with daggers, right?

Pretty much buy iron ore / bars / leather whenever you're at a vendor who sells it and make tons and tons of iron daggers. For enchanting I guess you can just enchant them. You can also then sell them one by one to increase your speech.

Main story seemed meh. Really short. Then again, who plays this game for that?

nib95

Banned
CHEEZMO™;32963417 said:
Smith loads of iron daggers
Enchant them
Sell them
?????
PROFIT

It's a real chore having to buy/find petty/lesser gems and then fill them all up though. That's the part that's holding me back. Anyone know an easy trick to getting tonnes of gems and filling them quick?

ShinNL

Can someone outline the trick to farm smithing/enchanting? Something to do with daggers, right?
0. Get warrior sign.
1. Buy iron ingots, iron and maybe some leather from smiths.
2. Turn iron into iron ingots, turn leather into leather strips.
2.5 Sleep for well rested bonus.
3. Make iron daggers.
4. Repeat process. Wait 48 hours for NPC to restock if you have the coin, otherwise play the game and repeat process once they start selling iron again (and you have the coin to buy them).

It's a real chore having to buy/find petty/lesser gems and then fill them all up though. That's the part that's holding me back. Anyone know an easy trick to getting tonnes of gems and filling them quick?
Conjurers can do it really easily with bound weapons and the soul stealer perk. Since unfilled gems are much cheaper you can buy every single empty one up to common from every mage in Winterhold and just kill stuff with a Bound Sword. Alternatively, you could make a strong 2 handed soul trap weapon and use it to capture souls: use gems to recharge it, that also levels enchanting a bit. A strong 2 handed is recommended for this because you don't want to use something like a dagger that drains the charge much quicker since it needs more strikes to kill. If you have the money, also buy all the prefilled petty and lesser gems. You can make money by enchanting random weapons you find and sell them to smiths and general goods stores (sell to them, buy from mages :p)

webrunner

Is there any spot with a forge, workbench, smelter, grinding stone, and enchanting table near each other?

Conjurers can do it really easily with bound weapons and the soul stealer perk. Since unfilled gems are much cheaper you can buy every single empty one up to common from every mage in Winterhold and just kill stuff with a Bound Sword. Alternatively, you could make a strong 2 handed soul trap weapon and use it to capture souls: use gems to recharge it, that also levels enchanting a bit. A strong 2 handed is recommended for this because you don't want to use something like a dagger that drains the charge much quicker since it needs more strikes to kill. If you have the money, also buy all the prefilled petty and lesser gems. You can make money by enchanting random weapons you find and sell them to smiths and general goods stores (sell to them, buy from mages :p)

I use sneak attacks with a soulsteal bow set to 1s.

Most stuff dies in one hit from it.

Nose Master

For those with Markarth glitched:

Got a bit of a work-around for it. It's tedious as shit, but it works.

If you tell them to take you to jail, they'll de-aggro you for about 5 seconds. Immediately after telling them to take you to jail, drop out of the conversation. If you're not within their line of sight, they usually stop following you. Just run past them. Once you're in a building that isn't the Palace, you're safe. Do this to get rid of those stupid quest items. I'm hoping I can become the Thane, and it'll snap them out of it. :(.

Also: Be careful when talking to other NPCs about quests. If a guard sees you and you're mid conversation with someone else, they'll just mace you in the skull.

Cynar

My companion just turned on me because I used the thunder shout, that's a bit rubbish. It's an awesome shout but if it murders everything willy nilly I'm never going to use it.

I think the only answer is to teleport all over the place or wait 48 hours for the vendor to replenish their money. You can increase the amount of money a vendor has by investing in the speech skill tree but even then I doubt a single one would have enough for the amount of hugely pricey gear Skyrim lobs at you.

It you invest in the riverwood merchant their monetary amount shoots up to about 15000.

Cynar

Damn, I stumbled upon that dungeon a while ago and was looking forward to going back there as it looked pretty interesting from the outside.

Can't judge a book by it's cover etc.

I enjoyed it, I love the dwemer dungeons. just have fun and explore. :D

okenny

Banned
I have a quick question about the Mzinchaleft Dwarven dungeon for anyone whose finished it completely:
There's a room in there with some kind of contraption that seems to require an item to activate it. Does anyone know if that item is something you randomly find in the level or is it part of a special quest? The "Find Grimsever" quest took me to this dungeon but I don't have the item it seems and as meticulously as I comb over these dungeons, I haven't come across the the item.

gblues

Banned
Pssh. Obama can have my Skyrim disc. Good luck getting Valve to remove it from my game library. Digital distribution FTW!

I was more hoping it would be.. closer. The one blacksmith is next to your house which has an alchemy table but no enchanting table :/

Forge daggers at the blacksmith and at the skyforge
Run to dragonsreach to enchant and buy more gems
Sell daggers back to skyforge guy and blacksmith
Profit

I have a question about Solitude
is is possible to save the dude that is about to be executed when you first enter without causing havoc?

flkk

Neo Member
I was more hoping it would be.. closer. The one blacksmith is next to your house which has an alchemy table but no enchanting table :/

I go to Riverrun. It has a smith with a forge, workbench, smelter, grinding stone, tanning rack, enchanting table in the blades lady's room in the inn, alchemy table also there, trade store across the street from smithy.

Only downside is no smelter :(

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I have a quick question about the Mzinchaleft Dwarven dungeon for anyone whose finished it completely:
There's a room in there with some kind of contraption that seems to require an item to activate it. Does anyone know if that item is something you randomly find in the level or is it part of a special quest? The "Find Grimsever" quest took me to this dungeon but I don't have the item it seems and as meticulously as I comb over these dungeons, I haven't come across the the item.

in the main quest line you get this dwemer cube that can open something just like it in another dwemer dungeon. i'd go back and see if it works in mzinchaleft but i fucking hate dwemer dungeons.

TekDragon

Banned
Archery is just stupid overpowered. I was just ambushed by 2 dragons (frost and blood) out in the open. I didn't even have to drink a potion.

I'm not even abusing the enchant -> alchemy -> enchant mechanics. Just a smithed bow with some +bow enchant.

Tom Penny

I go to Riverrun. It has a smith with a forge, workbench, smelter, grinding stone, tanning rack, enchanting table in the blades lady's room in the inn, alchemy table also there, trade store across the street from smithy.

Only downside is no smelter :(

My smith got killed by a dragon attack there :( I didn't notice until later when I revisted and he was laying on the ground dead LOL

okenny

Banned
in the main quest line you get this dwemer cube that can open something just like it in another dwemer dungeon. i'd go back and see if it works in mzinchaleft but i fucking hate dwemer dungeons.

Thanks man! You saved me time and frustration. I'm cool with them except for the fact that there isn't typically enough enemy types around. I got really excited when it seemed like bandits moved into some of them but those dungeons ALWAYS go deeper and all living variety are replaced with Falmars which wears on you for a long dungeon. I do enjoy Centurion fights but those are rare :(

GhaleonEB

Vendors at shops, especially the ones in the first city, carry arrows based on your level. I'm regularly buying ebony arrows there.

I'm 36 and still getting steel arrows in all the shops. My whole game it's been iron or steel.

I haven't checked in a few levels though, maybe I cross a threshold.

From early on, I've been able to find Elven, glass, dwarven and (on occasion) ebony in dungeons. I just use them for tougher enemies, using steel for the fodder.

okenny

Banned
Where can you buy better arrows?

Maybe you need a better bow? I just got this sick Ebony bow ad even with the low-grade iron arrows, you get some good kills in stealth. Ebony Arrows (rare: I have about 40 now) shot from any enchanted bow deals some amazing damage.

Maybe you need a better bow? I just got this sick Ebony bow ad even with the low-grade iron arrows, you get some good kills in stealth. Ebony Arrows (rare: I have about 40 now) shot from any enchanted bow deals some amazing damage.

I have a legendary enchanted glass bow

I have ebony, dwarven and glass arrows but not that many of each, maybe 20ish of each =/

So about Fort Dunstad...
where the hell is the key to the trap door?

I've looked everywhere and can't find it. I googled it too and nobody seems to know.

okenny

Banned
I'm 36 and still getting steel arrows everywhere. My whole game it's been iron or steel.

I haven't checked in a few levels though, maybe I cross a threshold.

I think I started getting Ebony arrows a few levels back and I'm currently 32. I started getting dwarven and elven arrows in the way back in the 20s. Maybe it's attached to your archery skill rather than your base level... then again my build is primarily 1-handed and conjurer. I only use arrow in stealth so my archery is at 58 after 150 hours.

okenny

Banned
I have a legendary enchanted glass bow

I have ebony, dwarven and glass arrows but not that many of each, maybe 20ish of each =/

Shiiiit! You don't need more power.... what'cha trying to do? Break your game-play experience. I use mostly nord arrows... plenty of those... I have about 700+ any any given time and it's no ebony bow but 10 ain't no slouch rating.

Alright, just finished the main quest. Am I missing some sort of epilogue or whatnot, I feel like the game didn't actually end.

Since I went StormCloak, Is Ulfric High King? Whats up with the Thalmor? Bwuh?!

Alright, just finished the main quest. Am I missing some sort of epilogue or whatnot, I feel like the game didn't actually end.

Since I went StormCloak, Is Ulfric High King? Whats up with the Thalmor? Bwuh?!

The game does have a shit ending with little to no closure.
If you finish the Stormcloak quests Ulfric isn't officially High King yet, but it's clear the moot will crown him soon. Nothing really significant happens with the Thalmor.

The game does have a shit ending with little to no closure.
If you finish the Stormcloak quests Ulfric isn't officially High King yet, but it's clear the moot will crown him soon. Nothing really significant happens with the Thalmor.

I guess we all get to wait for for a Broken Steel style DLC/ending...

Next to Arrows R Us on the corner of Third and Maine. :p

Oh right, in the Arrow District!

VDQ0u.gif

Top Bottom