• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

OG Kush

Is it normal to be level 25 and still questing in Whiterun? I've got loads of quests queued up too... The only guild I've joined so far is the companions.

Thats fine. and trust everyone plays this game differently. Just let it flow and do it as you wish.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been playing for almost 30 hours and didn't even know you could sprint FFS ><

I went to Markath but haven't done much there yet except that investigation on the murder. I didn't receive any offers nor anything for a house yet. I did meet this one guy who was ambushed and then he told me to get out. Will have to work on it later as I'm done playing for now. I kinda want to get out of Markath so I can continue on the path I was on. I just got driven here by caravan and it feels cheap to be here :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ARCHERS! ...or anyone who ever wants to use archery.

Put this in the [Combat] section of your Skyrim.ini

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.8
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.8

This takes care of the up-arc that arrows make. I carefully tuned this so it only flies up to the center of the crosshair before it drops. Since applying this, archery makes SO MUCH more sense and I've been able to land a lot of great hits on moving targets.

Edit: Oops. Meant to put this in the mod thread, but I'll leave it here.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I stumbled upon a dragon fighting a giant. I helped kill the dragon, but then the giant and his mammoth attacked me, why? Anyhow the game crashed to the desktop and the next time they did not agro, must be a stray arrow shot?

My experience with Skyrim has been mostly clearing out bandit tunnels, killing rats and doing fetch quest. The quest and dialog are so bad, people you don't know you ask you to murder people, entrust you with their stuff, etc. A strange world they live in!

"Hello stranger. Take this sword I just made and take it to my father. Never mind that I don't know you!"

Can you steal a horse as long as no one sees you? After spending 1k on one that a dragon killed (why do they attack dragons?) I am now back on foot.

windz

I stumbled upon a dragon fighting a giant. I helped kill the dragon, but then the giant and his mammoth attacked me, why? Anyhow the game crashed to the desktop and the next time they did not agro, must be a stray arrow shot?

My experience with Skyrim has been mostly clearing out bandit tunnels, killing rats and doing fetch quest. The quest and dialog are so bad, people you don't know you ask you to murder people, entrust you with their stuff, etc. A strange world they live in!

"Hello stranger. Take this sword I just made and take it to my father. Never mind that I don't know you!"

Can you steal a horse as long as no one sees you? After spending 1k on one that a dragon killed (why do they attack dragons?) I am now back on foot.

I *THINK* you can steal a horse without being caught. I'm pretty sure that the horse itself can report you for stealing it (lol) so make sure you're crouched and sneaking behind the horse before taking it when nobody's around.

The horse will return to the place you stole it from on dismounting. And remounting a stolen horse is considered stealing again, so take caution.

Arol

ARCHERS! ...or anyone who ever wants to use archery.

Put this in the [Combat] section of your Skyrim.ini

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.8
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.8

This takes care of the up-arc that arrows make. I carefully tuned this so it only flies up to the center of the crosshair before it drops. Since applying this, archery makes SO MUCH more sense and I've been able to land a lot of great hits on moving targets.

Edit: Oops. Meant to put this in the mod thread, but I'll leave it here.

What's wrong with Archery exactly? And where can I find the Skyrim.ini?

I mean, I found the Skyrim.ini but it doesn't have a [Combat] section.

eek5

I've been playing for almost 30 hours and didn't even know you could sprint FFS ><

The game doesn't do a great job of explaining some stuff. Here is a list of items that weren't 100% obvious to me at first.

• You can sprint using LB (uses stamina)
  • You can move items around by holding the action button instead of pressing it to pick up (super janky but it works)
  • You need to actually spend dragon souls to unlock your shouts (press X instead of A over soul; pressing A will tell you that you need a soul to unlock instead of actually unlocking it)
  • You can rename items when enchanting. The option is available after you select a gem to enchant with.
  • You can favorite items with left/right d-pad. From the favorites menu (up/down on d-pad) press and hold left or right.
  • There are a finite amount of souls but infinite dragons so sometimes you won't get a soul
  • There is a hard armor cap of 567 (basically blocks 80% of melee damage)

Hold the fucking phone!!!
Cicero
is the adoring fan???

Dates don't match up so I don't think so.

bengraven

When the fuck is the Creation Kit coming out?

My Data folder has plenty of new textures, but it's missing some lovely data files.

redhot_

Note to anyone going to do The Taste of Death Daedric quest... don't bring Eola into the cave... dumb AI just walks in front of you and becomes hostile towards you, and you cant yield to her and you will fail. On my third try after restarting, so fucking annoying.

Kyoufu

Wow, this game likes to troll.

Go to dungeon for Staff.

Dungeon takes 2 hours.

Reach end to obtain Staff.

Don't actually receive the Staff... quest over.

What a waste of time that was! :D

I always have a huge urge to kill all of the Bards. Their songs sound like parodies of actual songs from history mixed with crappy 80's music.

Too bad they're always surrounded.

eek5

The dwemer dungeons are all pretty good (and long). I wish there were more clues about their past littered around them though. At times it can get a bit too long with few enemy encounters or things to interact with.

dalin80

Banned
Have now completed every main quest line (sided with the imperials* for the civil war line), and not a single fuck was given by anyone in the whole of skyrim.

very disappointing, mostly weak rewards and no lasting effects all round.

played through as a sneaky archer, kept getting large swords as quest prizes, thanks game

Not really. They're shaking hands with the Thalmor with one hand while sharpening a knife with the other. The Thalmor are doing pretty much the same.

Fact of the matter is, the war the Empire fought with the Dominion came rather unexpectedly for the Empire. At the end they could either sign the Concordat or die. The only ones really enforcing the ban on Talos worship law are the Thalmor, you won't see any Imperial soldier doing anything about it. The ban's just there for show, because both sides are licking their wounds and preparing for another go-round.

The Empire needs the Nords, but the Nords need the Empire. If they seccede, the Empire will fall when the next war breaks out. If the Empire falls, nothing will stop the Dominion from conquering them next.

Bethesda really crafted some great lore for this game. I loved what the two novels did, but everything that happened between the novels and the games is just awesome. Part of me misses the "stable" Empire from Morrowind and Oblivion, though.

Based on what I've read simply within the game, I see no reason to side with the Imperials. At the time of the treaty they ceded not only cultural values of their people but territory as well. Granted the territory was taken or contested at that time, point being that those in Hammerfell weren't too happy about the Empire's withdrawal and offering of their land in the treaty. At any rate unless I am mistaken, those in Hammerfell alone fought back the Thalmor from their shores. In other words, the Empire folded too soon and betrayed its own people. To hell with it. Especially when you consider the "motive" of the Thalmor as presented. What's to convince the Nords, Ulfric, or any Jarl in Skyrim that the Emperor won't offer them on a silver platter next to this threat or the one that follows?

Is it normal to be level 25 and still questing in Whiterun? I've got loads of quests queued up too... The only guild I've joined so far is the companions.

Nah I'm level 39 and I'm only in the Companions. I have done the 4th quest of the main quest because well...
I need some dragons in mah life

I'm a wealthy Nord, 1H dual yield, rocking some ebony gear/weapons, and I've maxed out Smithing and Speech. I feel brutally overpowered as I can kill ANYTHING in my path with a simple power attack.

To anybody that has finished, (without spoiling much) is there anything good about finishing the main quest BEFORE the civil war? after? Is there even a choice?

I'm planning on joining the Stormcloaks, not because I'm a Nord, but because the empire are quasi-pussies from what I know. Of course, I've yet to go to Whiterun to meet these other folks.

Based on what I've read simply within the game, I see no reason to side with the Imperials. At the time of the treaty they ceded not only cultural values of their people but territory as well. Granted the territory was taken or contested at that time, point being that those in Hammerfell weren't too happy about the Empire's withdrawal and offering of their land in the treaty. At any rate unless I am mistaken, those in Hammerfell alone fought back the Thalmor from their shores. In other words, the Empire folded too soon and betrayed its own people. To hell with it. Especially when you consider the "motive" of the Thalmor as presented. What's to convince the Nords, Ulfric, or any Jarl in Skyrim that the Emperor won't offer them on a silver platter next to this threat or the one that follows?
The Thalmor are still occupying parts of Hammerfell, and they're not likely to give those up anytime soon. The Empire was clinging to life by the time the Concordat was signed: if the fighting had gone on for a bit longer, it'd have ceased to exist. It needed time to get its strength back after having been fighting an unexpected war for so long. Outlawing Talos worship was stupid, but it was either that or getting your head chopped off along with all the rest. The Empire didn't just sell out its own people, it sold out itself. You think no Imperials believed in Talos? I bet Cyrodiil's not exactly a happy place to live in right now. The Empire had to make some sacrifices to stay alive, so it could become strong again.

Everyone knows a new confrontation between the Dominion and the Empire is inevitable, heck, the Thalmor have made it their mission to wipe humanity off the map and everyone knows it. So what do Ulfric and his Stormcloaks do? Start fighting the Empire because the law forbids the worship of Talos. I agree, the Empire could've done things better, but the Stormcloaks' purpose is, imo, so pants-on-head retarded that part of me almost wants to see them get wiped out by the Dominion. Ulfric Stormcloak's may have charisma, but he's lacking some decent foresight. Instead of shouting Torygg to death and starting a civil war he could've stuck with the Empire and helped 'em wipe the Dominion out once and for all, becoming an even stronger contender for the throne.

Now get me a horn of mead, this is shit we Nords need to discuss near the roaring fire in the inn.

edgefusion

My companion just turned on me because I used the thunder shout, that's a bit rubbish. It's an awesome shout but if it murders everything willy nilly I'm never going to use it.

Where do you sell all your stuff without teleporting around? The merchants just don't have enough money.

I think the only answer is to teleport all over the place or wait 48 hours for the vendor to replenish their money. You can increase the amount of money a vendor has by investing in the speech skill tree but even then I doubt a single one would have enough for the amount of hugely pricey gear Skyrim lobs at you.

Visceir

I did the main quest stuff first and sided with the stormcloaks after (I'm a wood elf).

Don't think finishing the main quest really affects the civil war stuff. Seems like nothing really has any real consequences in skyrim. Ulric and that other dude, his first officer seemed like huge douches during the whole civil war thing. You're starting a war and hiding in your castle while I'm doing all the work, what the hell Ulric?

After the whole thing he did say that the empire doesn't really pose a thread and they should start preparing for the war with elves. I could see him and the empire joining their forces if the empire acknoledges him as the high king.

At this point I feel like I could easily take on the entire elven army myself. Get the dragons to help and shit!

Another thing is...the game seems to be hinting that some importants events are about to happen but I don't think they will ever happen. For example the
the whole nightingale and protecting Nocturnal thing. I said I'd be there to defend her and she said she'd let me know when I need to do it but I doubt it'll ever happen. Another thing would be Ulric saying he won't really be the high king until the moot...whatever that is. But I'm sure that will never happen either

Where do you sell all your stuff without teleporting around? The merchants just don't have enough money.

The thieves guild gives you access to a few NPCs that have 4000 gold. I usually jump between those to sell my stuff.

Lakitu

st5fu
Yeah, one of the thing that irks me is, aside from random comments your standing the world doesn't have much consequence. This also happened in Fallout 3. I joined the Brotherhood of Steel, yet the Paladin's always referred to me as a civilian. I don't know why since New Vegas did this so well.

Top Bottom